• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Sarix

Smash Ace
*Sees the posts about Golden Sun

I think I'll just keep my mouth shut on the critiques to the series I could give, especially Dark Dawn.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
When I think of MI Wifi players, LOE1 and Rayquaza come in mind.

I play Wifi when I want to play people for exp.

...and I feel like doing that right now.

:phone:

Sarix

Smash Ace
Lol apparently people want to hear my opinion and not gonna lie, I could write a few pages on it. I post tomorrow once I get my thoughts together into a strong consensus.

Handhelds or just in general?

Not handhelds
Suikoden 2
Persona 3
Noctourne
Final Fantasy 6
Tales of symphonia
Demon Souls
Xenosaga episode 3 (1 was good, but not great) (2 was one of the worst games I've ever suffered through)

Handhelds
Pheonix Wright
Tactics Advanced (the original tactics was way to tedius grinding wise, and was insanely unbalanced in varius regards. Tactics advanced also had varius balance issues, but they fixed a lot of what made tactics insanely tedius. Tactics Is like 12 were there's a good plot/character cast, but an insanely tedius battle system detracts from the game way too quickly, making them both games that you just kind of put down, and unconsciously don't get back too. I consider this to be the best RPG to be released on gba)
Fire Emblem
Radiant Historia
TWEWY
SMT: Devil survivor

kd-

Smash Lord
I've been hearing people talk about FF6 lately. I need to check that out.

Tactics Advanced and Fire Emblem are two of the easiest games I've ever played in my life, I couldn't finish either due to how boring both got. I was at least 75% done with both

Difficult RPGs don't exist. Just tedius ones.

And as long as a battle system isnt boring enough to detract from the plot then I don't particulary care. All battle systems get boring once you've been playing for 10+ hours or so. If it's like a really good battle system maybe more like 20ish hours.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm with Omni on this one.

Also I'm not sure how I managed to get up for work.

I had shots of tequila, these ridiculously strong $2 Long Islands, and a lotttttttt of beer. I mixed things you should never mix lmao.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Its in this obscure bar and grill in Madison Heights. I was hanging out with my best friend and his roommate and his roommate took us there. Omfg its awesome. $2 Long Islands after 8 pm. And they were big...

I think I know what heaven is now.

zyth

Smash Lord
My favorite RPG is Breath of Fire 1.

Fire Emblem makes a good game in that the battle system only becomes tedious if you care about ur characters dyin or not. if you dont care when someone dies then you will finish the game quickly and probly only somewhat enjoy it and have little opinion of it. Now if you dont want any of ur characters to die, u will be resetting the game soooo often to get past one encounter every now and then. the game experience also changes depending on what difficulty you play it on. I'm not too sure of the specifics on that tho.

Advanced wars is also a good handheld RPG

What's The Point

Smash Master
Difficult RPGs don't exist. Just tedius ones.

And as long as a battle system isnt boring enough to detract from the plot then I don't particulary care. All battle systems get boring once you've been playing for 10+ hours or so. If it's like a really good battle system maybe more like 20ish hours.
This is more of a fault with how encounters are handled. When you can see and avoid your enemies than even if you are getting bored of battles you can just skip or minimize the generic encounters for awhile. When it's random encounters you eventually begin to dread the battle screen. Like FFXIII was so bad by the end but I just ran past everything to finish the game. Legend of Dragoon has a fun battle system but it has so many random encounters and due to the battle system you can't just mash a button to get through so by the end you hate having to walk.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Okay so my opinion on the Golden Sun Series:

1-2: Both of these were quaint and pleasantly designed RPGs with good visuals and went back to a storytelling a formula much like the RPGs that came out in the beginning of the SNES's life. The combat was typical except for the auto defend mechanic instead of hitting the next enemy which left a large question mark as to why do something less convenient. People who prefer darker RPGs like Shin Megami Tensei and the ever well known FFVII (which isn't THAT dark really) tend to either love or hate these two games.

I personally liked the puzzles based around psynergy as the reminded of something innovative that the series Wild Arms did where you had to solve puzzles in the dungeon like The Legend of Zelda before reaching the boss. I feel they are good games that deserve an above average rating, they aren't ground-breaking but they're fun in their own right.

Dark Dawn...: I loathe this game really, and I mean LOATHE it. It really is a game about as heinous and awful as a Disney sequel which really is an accurate comparison for it. The gameplay was fine if anything the only good part of the game but much like Metroid: Other M the story is quite atrocious.

All of the carbon copy children (which makes the game feel like fan fic) instead of having to work for ANYTHING during their adventure get "Oh you're the children of the Heroes of Vale? Well go ahead and recieve whatever macguffin/bridge fix you need." Considering how the plot ends on a cliffhanger and leaves everything seeming for the worst I personally find it justified considering they completely abandon the Golden Rule of Storytelling: Earn your Happy Ending. All of the crotch dumplings just ride on their parents' success and heroism without proving themselves or really deserving what just gets handed to them on a silver platter.

I really had no care for any of them potentially feeling like they could right wrongs because they never have to overcome any threshold guardians, learn anything shocking, or be put into a situation where they had to change themselves to achieve character growth. This game would've been more suited on the NES because it was okay to ride on "Great Destiny" or "Being the offspring of a Hero" because those cliches were acceptable at the time.

That's a chunk of my rant on Dark Dawn, I'm going to just leave it at that. I tried to avoid sounding bias, because personally Dark Dawn made me feel betrayed more than anything by another company allowing itself to lower their standards, which is incredibly stupid and hypocritical to what they teach game design majors.

What's The Point

Smash Master
A brief history on "yo."

"Yo" is a word commonly used by lain. Specifically, "yoooooo" is how lain says hello on the phone, and what he generally says just before asking for a favor. Most people who spent time with lain eventually added the word "yo" into their commonly used vocabulary, mainly people in the Ann Arbor region. Even if you don't regularly use the word you will when talking to lain. The second key player is Gio, who knew lain before all of us and may have gotten lain to use that word. Ally spends most of his smash time in MI in AA so "yo" is one of the like 20 English words that he knows. It was during SiiS5 where Ally tried to emulate Gio's "Yoooooooo!" but due to his various accents it instead came out as "YoOoOoO!" Since then it has been favored over other forms of "yo" by various MI people.

Tidbit: 90% of all MI tendancies and fads can be traced back to Gio :yeahboi:

Top Bottom