• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

JTsm

Smash Master
A brief history on "yo."

"Yo" is a word commonly used by lain. Specifically, "yoooooo" is how lain says hello on the phone, and what he generally says just before asking for a favor. Most people who spent time with lain eventually added the word "yo" into their commonly used vocabulary, mainly people in the Ann Arbor region. Even if you don't regularly use the word you will when talking to lain. The second key player is Gio, who knew lain before all of us and may have gotten lain to use that word. Ally spends most of his smash time in MI in AA so "yo" is one of the like 20 English words that he knows. It was during SiiS5 where Ally tried to emulate Gio's "Yoooooooo!" but due to his various accents it instead came out as "YoOoOoO!" Since then it has been favored over other forms of "yo" by various MI people.

Tidbit: 90% of all MI tendancies and fads can be traced back to Gio :yeahboi:
Hilarious and educational. I love it :denzel:

JTsm

Smash Master
Lain never quit. Just highly inactive. He's been to tournies, but IMO he's been slacking because of other stuff he's been occupied about.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
He was at Rage in NEOH last month: Got 7th.

:phone:
I mean, I know that lol (he got 5th, not 7th btw). I know that he's starting to become more active, I was just talking about Late 2011-early 2012ish.

Edited my previous post to avoid confusion.

:phone:

Tennet

Smash Champion
Ahh ok, last thing I remember of him was him getting 3rd in some significant tournament. Couldn't remember anything else beyond that.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
That was a funny tournament. That was when he wanted to prove he can be more than Lain the ICs player. He went through the gauntlet in Loser's Bracket and despite everyone not from MI saying his MK was free and him dropping every Game 1 he still got 3rd and took down MJG, Shugo and Atomsk. I was so proud of him.

lain

Smash Master
yo, let it be known I am the original 'yo' master! gio's the brigadier general of 'yo'. ally's our cult ****.

and thanks Tech :] that was an amazing tournament for my mk lol.

also omg I REMEMBER THAT PIC!! THANK YOU FOR SAVING IT LMFAO!

also also anyone tryna play melee or brawl today? classes starting soon so ****'s gonna be ****ed in a week or so :<

Tennet

Smash Champion
Lain, that picture is still on my PC and photobucket account, I still have the ICs texture I did too lol..

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
yo, let it be known I am the original 'yo' master! gio's the brigadier general of 'yo'. ally's our cult ****.

and thanks Tech :] that was an amazing tournament for my mk lol.

also omg I REMEMBER THAT PIC!! THANK YOU FOR SAVING IT LMFAO!

also also anyone tryna play melee or brawl today? classes starting soon so ****'s gonna be ****ed in a week or so :<
I'm mostly moved in in Ann Arbor now, so I'm up for brawl if it's at a place I can take a bus to.

lain

Smash Master
omg Tennet you mean that IC texture hack that had my glasses? O.O

but yeah maybe thugz will be down or something to play Dekrem, he lives downtown so we'll see soon i guess.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I can PM you a DL link, I can't remember what game I got into back in 09, I just remember the 2 friends I had to play smash with stopped so I sorta just stopped. I know in 2010 I got into tf2 for a while, then switched to SC2, after that I started to play BF3, now I play Halo, bf3 ,tf2, cs:go, PoE, and a few more I can't remember. I'm playing Brawl again because there is a Lan i'm going to later in the year and the games i was hoping to have aren't going to be played so since the competition in brawl wasn't much better than me being rusty I figured I'll play brawl again and get myself a win in an ezpz tournament.

I'm going to stay in the community even if I stop playing brawl.

For those that don't know what we're talking about:

lain

Smash Master
damn son goin' hard in the paint with shooters lol. and path of exile looks sick, i kinda wanna try it. However I watch Kripparrian play it sometimes, and it looks like Diablo, except literally all he's doing is using 1 move over and over to farm an area. the leagues sound really interesting.

AND YESSSSSS!!!! omg amazing

Tennet

Smash Champion
It's like D2 more than D3, I like it way more than D3.. I sorta find myself using 1 move over and over but that's mostly to kill faster. But I do find myself having to use other skills for kiting and running away.

Oh I also very rarely play SCV and random steam games.

kd-

Smash Lord
The Lain 'yoooo' is classic and the original, but the Gio 'yoooo' is my favorite for it being almost an entire language for him:

walk into a smashfest/tourney and say 'what's up Gio' - Gio: yoooooooo
Gio does a combo - Gio: yoooooooo
Gio gets comboed - Gio: yoooooooo
Ask Gio about getting bitties - Gio: yooooooo
Ask Gio about ThuGz interrupting Gio's conversation with a bitty to tell said bitty Gio's a smash player - Gio: I was like, yoooooooo *tilts head back and widens eyes in semi-anger*

The Rob 'woo' is great too

Top Bottom