• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Smash 4, it looks cool. Villager looks goofy and I want to play him.

Mr. Dr. Prof. SamuraiPanda what do you think since I see you lurking.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
and he will know everything because everyone goes to SV....he will be unstoppable

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
WiiFit Trainer doesn't look horrible in all honesty. She is just the GnW/ROB of the next installment.

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
That whistle though... so annoying. I think it is a terrible waste of a character slot. There are many other really great characters that should be in smash.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't think it's too terrible. I just think they're trying to appeal to the widest audience possible with this installment and I believe we'll see a larger character roster this time around too. I'm just looking forward to my home girl Peach (maybe Rosalina?) and the FE characters more than anything.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
I'm pretty darn sure that wasn't the final engine for smash 4. That's most likely a super early prototype that borrowed its infrastructure from the brawl engine. That's what game companies do at e3 -,- does nobody remember when the Wii was revealed? It was actually a game cube they just hid from the audience playing a video and people were like "omg the Wii graphics are so much better than gcn!!!!"

the video was likely made using brawls engine. Don't be so quick to judge lol. Analyzing framedata on a teaser video with game play that likely wasn't real is a bit hasty

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
I just said one attack was fast. I know things change. Megaman's down smash did 45% in a different video (I don't think the entire attack even connected), think they will keep that? lol

SoulPech

Smash Master
I don't think it's too terrible. I just think they're trying to appeal to the widest audience possible with this installment and I believe we'll see a larger character roster this time around too. I'm just looking forward to my home girl Peach (maybe Rosalina?) and the FE characters more than anything.
Idgaf as long as PUff is in it.

I'm pretty darn sure that wasn't the final engine for smash 4. That's most likely a super early prototype that borrowed its infrastructure from the brawl engine. That's what game companies do at e3 -,- does nobody remember when the Wii was revealed? It was actually a game cube they just hid from the audience playing a video and people were like "omg the Wii graphics are so much better than gcn!!!!"

the video was likely made using brawls engine. Don't be so quick to judge lol. Analyzing framedata on a teaser video with game play that likely wasn't real is a bit hasty

But that's what Michigan does... :/

Though you are right. I've rarely seen a company @ e3 bring forth their final product. Some companies say they do, but there's a good chance they're making minor tweaks before releasing it.

kd-

Smash Lord
Looks/feels like Smash 4 will be Brawl but faster and no auto edgegrabs.

Man I wish they could have released a good Smash Bros video game

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Smash 4, it looks cool. Villager looks goofy and I want to play him.

Mr. Dr. Prof. SamuraiPanda what do you think since I see you lurking.
I think Smash 4 looks more like Brawl v1.5 at the moment. I think Brawl's biggest failings can all be tied back to one very significant problem, which is the lack of hitstun on attacks. Not only does that prevent any combos from happening but it had a negative effect on much of the game. Making offense not as strong as defense, and making Brawl into a very back-and-forth poke heavy slower game among other issues. Smash 4's videos so far have the same hitstun system as Brawl as far as I could see, so I'm iffy on the potential of the game.

One thing positive though is that it seems like they're making ground attacks faster and longer range from the little we've seen so far (Samus' fsmash is longer, so is Bowsers, etc), so it will make the game faster in general if this is a systematic change they're making across all characters. While it won't solve the greater issue of the hitstun system, it could do wonders for the system if ground attacks were more viable for everyone.

Far as I know, Sakurai has already said they're more-or-less done with the multiplayer battle engine. At this point the changes we should expect would be changes to properties of attacks. I don't doubt that they worked off the Brawl engine because it looks so similar, but if Sakurai is to be believed then that will be the final engine. It will be nice if they change a few more things but as it is now Smash 4 doesn't look to be as unique an entry to the Smash series as Melee/Brawl were to each other.

Top Bottom