• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Also, I'm not buying the "this Melee metagame is beyond my time, so there is no point of me playing" mindset anymore. If you enjoy Melee the most, but not in the current metagame, put in the work in adapting to the metagame of Melee. If you enjoy Brawl more, then I really don't care.

I first picked up competitive Melee in late 2010 and went to my (real) first tourney in 2011, which is pretty ****ing late imo, but I still have the desire to be good at the game.

Just my $0.02

(not directed towards just Tech, but to everyone else who enjoys Melee, but don't want to play in tournies again because they are outdated in the metagame.)

:phone:

zyth

Smash Lord
I dont play melee tournies cuz i get *****.

not in a "lol you got ***** in a video game way", more in a "N1GG@ U GOT *****!!! THE **** YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?!" sorta way.

i.e. when i get ***** so hard it makes me cry....them 4 stocks...

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
Yo this happens every tourney. Everyone says they're quitting. After a month of being out of the scene you guys will run back and miss it. The key is to be casual about it, no need to formalize your "status as a smasher." smash isnt a game that takes much dedication unless you're only goal is to be really good. But when you're playing in such a small community, the average player skill is very high compared to the top level players. The gap between amazing and mediocre is tiny compared to the gap in other competitive video games.

The ability to be one of the best players is mostly based on born talent.

LOE1

Smash Lord
well guys, dont do somethin you will regret later, as someone else said. i mean, it is just a game, and mabey you guys who want to quit want to do more with your lives or somethin, which is respectful. but tech, if you honestly think you're bad, how did you manage to be on the MI PR for all this time? as for the others, just keep practiciing if you wanna be up there. i mean i can still remember my 1st tournament, and i wanted to quit after that, but instead i opted to get better, and look at that turnout.

but yea, if you really wanna get away from brawl, do what rabbi said, stay off of the wii for a few months, and if you still dont play it, then sell it or somethin, cause you may regret it

on the other smash subjects, i dont really wanna enter melee cause im bad at it, along with 64 lol. just devote your time into 1 game and practice that up. not too many people are good at melee AND brawl.

:wario:

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I agree with LOE1. Playing more than one smash game regularly is difficult.

I don't recall anyone else who plays Melee and Brawl regularly (and does good) besides a robot.

With that being said, I might as well just stick to Melee. I feel that playing both games regularly is doing nothing but hinder my improving rate.

Hey look, a good reason this time.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Oh ****, I forgot about Lain LMAO.

And Mikey.

And Anther.

EDIT: Oh. That's because all 3 of them have been playing for SO ****ING long that their knowledge of smash carried over to Brawl.

kd-

Smash Lord
Might be selling my Wii and Brawl if anyone needs.
Right as you lose your last stock, assuming it's your setup at the venue, eject the disc and snap it in half in front of your opponent before shaking his hand, and then rip the Wii out from the tv, storm out of the venue and smash the Wii on the ground.

I'm too dusty and washed up to be any good at this.
I'm the same boat as you

Also, I'm not buying the "this Melee metagame is beyond my time, so there is no point of me playing" mindset anymore. If you enjoy Melee the most, but not in the current metagame, put in the work in adapting to the metagame of Melee. If you enjoy Brawl more, then I really don't care.

I first picked up competitive Melee in late 2010 and went to my (real) first tourney in 2011, which is pretty ****ing late imo, but I still have the desire to be good at the game.

Just my $0.02

(not directed towards just Tech, but to everyone else who enjoys Melee, but don't want to play in tournies again because they are outdated in the metagame.)

The younger you are, the better you are at smash. Some people, like me, are just too bad and old for this stuff

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Derek, even if you stop playing, you should stay in the community. Don't let a bad tourney experience detach you from all the good people.

stewyian

Smash Ace
Just wanted to thank all the Michigan guys who defended me in the retribution result thread, I didn't wanna create any more **** thanks everyone

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Or they decided to give me the short straw and cause me to get 5th when me, shugo, and joe all got double eliminated by Reflex :salt:

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Well Ive noticed that a lot of TOs dont know how to seed a bracket.

First off Zinoto should have been either where Darc or Delta-cod was at least.

But, for everyone's information when seeding a bracket you put the most likely to win players in the bracket first one in each corner so they play in winner's quarters. Then you take the next 4 highest and line them up so they will play the 4 already seeded in winner semis. Then the next 8 and so on. When making changes to avoid region and carpool games you only move the players that were placed at the same time.

SO lets look at Retribution.

Reflex, Shugo, MJG and Kain should have been seeded first. (they are the most acomplished players)
Your winner's semis should most likely be between those four.

Next you would seed for winner's quarters
Zinoto, Krystedez, Coney, and Kismet. These four players would play one of the previous 4 in winner's quarters
If your bracket lines up so that Kismet plays Reflex you would switch Kismet with one of the other 4 in winner's quarters

You would continue to do this with all of the first seeds then fill in the second and thirds wherever.

Please note the only player that should complain about a hard bracket in winners should be Seagul, because of his second seed in pools.

But there is no reason for Zinoto and Reflex to be playing at the same time matchups like Darc and Kismet are playing, or Coney and Delux or P1 and Krystedez.

Also why was Seagul treated as a first seed with a bye after he got second seed in pools. What is the point of doing pools if they don't matter.

Terrible job. Brackets aren't that hard to make people.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Go host your own 87 entrant tournament and not make any mistakes. Then you can go ahead and make that post. In the mean time have some respect for the TO's. It isn't easy running a large scale tournament and I am sure they all did the beat their best. I am sure they realize their mistakes and will try to do better in the future.

clowsui

Smash Legend
LOL @ terrible job, kindly **** yourself

Shugo
MJG
Zinoto
Reflex

DeLux
Seagull
Player-1
Kismet

The only switch I would make, looking at it now, is Player-1 and Reflex. Gives Reflex an "easier" player and gives Player-1 a "harder" player. I might've also changed Darc with Delta.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. That is literally my only error in the bracket (bar shugo and kel, which i should've switched because shugo plays kel every tournament). Do you have any idea how many brackets out there contain WAY more than JUST this major error? Yes, it negatively affected Zinoto's placement. You're right. Julian, if you want, I will refund you because I ****ed you out of 4th place by having you play Reflex too early.

Or maybe he could have just beaten him the second time, never mind.

My point is this: I admit that my bracket had one major error and a few little errors. But you should not overlook the larger picture. This tournament was incredibly stacked, had an 80% solid bracket AND was run well (for the most part). Reflex should NOT have played Zinoto that early and vice versa but if we really want to get down to it, having those sorts of considerations is already exceedingly generous, as the point of a bracket should be "beat any and all opponents in line", not "beat any and all opponents but oh only if I play them at the right time". To the extent that Zinoto was prevented from earning additional money, I will apologize, but he should have just beaten Reflex the second time in that case.

Top Bottom