• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
So I know that :yeahboi: is supposed to be Shaq's face, but the first time I saw it I thought it was the face of the guy who plays Carl Winslow in Family Matters.... I still kinda wish it was.... I think it would be so much better.....

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Guys I am proud to say that I am starting my own monthly series of tournies back at Gameyard:) I know there are some people that hate that venue due to the space shenanigans, but I talked to the manager and he's already reserving 6 tv's thats without other people. So yeah:)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
There is a point where we can have too many tourneys in Michigan, and I think an additional summer series would push things over that edge...

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
OH GOD GAMEYARD. not only that i didnt like the venue, but i had a bad first tourney experience there x_x

:phone:

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Guys I am proud to say that I am starting my own monthly series of tournies back at Gameyard:) I know there are some people that hate that venue due to the space shenanigans, but I talked to the manager and he's already reserving 6 tv's thats without other people. So yeah:)
I'm sure everyone is thrilled you reserved 6 laggy HD tv's.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Don't see why people won't show up. A tourney is a tourney. We don't have to play on the laggy tv's duh. We can bring our own tv's and put them in place with the hd ones. Seriously, stop being so b*tchy about it and have fun at it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you complainers don't want to come then f*ck the hell off. No one is forcing you to come. God how unappreciative can people be.
I always thought this was the funniest threat when it comes to hosting tournaments. "I'm hosting this **** for you guys, but if you have issues with it then don't come if you don't want to."

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you complainers don't want to come then f*ck the hell off. No one is forcing you to come. God how unappreciative can people be.
People are simply warning you about common pitfalls that new TOs might fall into that will basically ruin their experiences at running tournaments. If you end up making some big blunder like having laggy HD TVs, then whoever comes isn't going to like it, and if people don't come, then you've lost turnout. Both of these things are bad for both the novice TO and for the attendees (or people who would've attended). You're likely to think that it's stupid and stop hosting tournaments, or you might not notice and not fix the problem. If someone warns you about the issue, then it's better for everyone involved if the right corrections are taken. The only one being unappreciative in this situation is you. Learn from others mistakes and warnings.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
yo real talk rizk did absolutely nothing wrong. He just said he would be hosting tournaments, isnt that a good thing? Why would anyone flame him. Should he apologize for trying to help the community grow? He is right, if you dont want to go then dont go. Dont be a ***** about it. Maybe he will be able to get more people interested in smash and help the community out geez chill balls people.

This is a public forum and he is just advertising tournies. We arent an elite club

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I always thought this was the funniest threat when it comes to hosting tournaments. "I'm hosting this **** for you guys, but if you have issues with it then don't come if you don't want to."
It's true. If you start complaining a month before the tourney begins. Why bother showing up?
People are simply warning you about common pitfalls that new TOs might fall into that will basically ruin their experiences at running tournaments. If you end up making some big blunder like having laggy HD TVs, then whoever comes isn't going to like it, and if people don't come, then you've lost turnout. Both of these things are bad for both the novice TO and for the attendees (or people who would've attended). You're likely to think that it's stupid and stop hosting tournaments, or you might not notice and not fix the problem. If someone warns you about the issue, then it's better for everyone involved if the right corrections are taken. The only one being unappreciative in this situation is you. Learn from others mistakes and warnings.
I know what i'm doing.
yo real talk rizk did absolutely nothing wrong. He just said he would be hosting tournaments, isnt that a good thing? Why would anyone flame him. Should he apologize for trying to help the community grow? He is right, if you dont want to go then dont go. Dont be a ***** about it. Maybe he will be able to get more people interested in smash and help the community out geez chill balls people.

This is a public forum and he is just advertising tournies. We arent an elite club
I love you bro. You da man no doubt.
The only person here who isn't being chill is Rizk :V
That's because people started to complain about me hosting right away.
well although I agree with that, I still think people are being too quick to judge his abilities

I wasnt talking about you or scotu though anyways
True

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I have never met an individual who "knew what they were doing" within their first 3 tournaments.

Edit: In fact, of all the tournaments I've attended, including my own, only TOs has stood out as "Knowing what they're doing"

2nd edit: the more times I read Ankoku's post about the TO threat "I'm hosting this for you guys so if you don't like it shut up and don't come" the more hilarious I think it is. Obviously if you're hosting it for those people, you'll want to change it to match what they want, if you don't you're obviously not hosting it for them. That being said, despite it's contradictory nature, it's still invalid to say because TOs don't host for the people. They host for themselves. When this observation is made that kind of threat just looks like a selfish elitist comment.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Just because it's my first doesn't mean i'm a complete ******. I've seen how TO's operate at the tournies i've been too. It's not rocket science like you're making it out to be. I'll be fine but i'm not saying I wouldn't mind a co-host.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just because it's my first doesn't mean i'm a complete ******. I've seen how TO's operate at the tournies i've been too. It's not rocket science like you're making it out to be. I'll be fine but i'm not saying I wouldn't mind a co-host.
Yeah guys, let's not be too harsh here. I'm sure Rizk can draw experience from all the tournaments he's attended.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
A few years ago, everyone knew that it was a privilege to host a tourney. TOs did everything they could to cater to the players in hopes of drawing their attendance, because there was no shortage of potential tourneys, so only the best TOs stood out. Brawl has changed things... now everyone seems to think it's a privilege to attend a tourney. A lot of TOs have used the fact that tourneys aren't happening every week anymore to their advantage, enforcing their own agenda and alienating players. News flash, it's still a privilege to host tourneys, and players won't come to you unless you do everything you can to draw their attendance by organizing and TOing well.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
A few years ago, everyone knew that it was a privilege to host a tourney. TOs did everything they could to cater to the players in hopes of drawing their attendance, because there was no shortage of potential tourneys, so only the best TOs stood out. Brawl has changed things... now everyone seems to think it's a privilege to attend a tourney. A lot of TOs have used the fact that tourneys aren't happening every week anymore to their advantage, enforcing their own agenda and alienating players. News flash, it's still a privilege to host tourneys, and players won't come to you unless you do everything you can to draw their attendance by organizing and TOing well.
News flash, what the **** did I say to promote that i don't care about what people want? As soon as I said I'm having a tourney, the b*tches started to b*tch. I said nothing wrong. I'm going to try my best, but people arent giving me the chance to show it. They are so quick to judge and you clearly see it.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Why do you always assume people are out to get you?

In case you still can't figure it out, the purpose of my initial comment was to remind you that there is already a packed summer lineup of Brawl tourneys hosted by proven TOs, and to suggest that an additional monthly series held at a historically questionable venue wouldn't be beneficial to the Brawl community.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, seriously, I know you're not the most adept at diplomacy here, Rizk, but the correct response when people express concerns about the tournament is not "**** off, I'll do what I want," unless you seriously want nobody going to your tournament. Telling people that they can bring TVs is... kind of? a step in the right direction when addressing the fact that you've only got HDTVs reserved. You probably could've provided better assurance that you'd try to make Gameyard a better experience than it has been for many people. I would say to give credentials, but since you have none at the moment, you probably could've outlined how you were going to set this up.

But hey, like you said, everyone deserves a first chance to show his stuff. Just make sure not to alienate everyone you have a chance of showing it to before it even happens.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I say go for it, Rizk. Maybe it's not wise to announce a series right off the bat, but see how your first tournament goes and take it from there. The overlap between the Melee and Brawl communities isn't too much either. There's only a handful of people I've seen in MI who take part in both scenes. But still, try to schedule around the tournaments that have already been scheduled.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
if he fails he fails, let him try at least peoples. I dont see how its even worth arguing. He is hosting a tournament, thats it. Its not like the tourney is on the PR list or something. Its just a tourney he is testing out. If it fails he probably wont do it again, he is the one taking a risk by paying down for the venue not anybody else so if he wants to host a tourney I would say nobody else has any place in saying he shouldnt. One could argue that we are the community and thus potential attendees so we do have a place to say so but I disagree, we arent the only target audience im sure. Rizk probably has AiB friends or even locals finding out about the tourney from gameyard ads. Regardless of what we think will work or wont work, we shouldnt be arguing with a persons decision to run a tournament.

Everyone should just drop it, if you dont want to attend or dont support a new potential TO then just dont, why make him feel bad about having HDTVs or having never hosted a tourney. He realizes these things and nobody has anything to gain by trying to make him feel worse for no apparent reason.

Rizk has done nothing to alienate his potential attendees, it would seem people have pre-alienated themselves based on assumption.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
i honestly dont have a problem with the hdtvs and the fact that this is his first time running a tournament, but earlier i was worried about a repeat of gameyard 2, but i dont really care about that anymore. i'll give this one a chance

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
I may be, just looking at the reaction of people when rizk announced he is hosting tournies was sad to see. I have no enemies in the smash community but I know others do so I guess my pacifism wouldnt benefit others who already have their grudges.

Shouldnt a community be encouraging rather than discouraging? This same deal went on with apasher a month back. Our community is not very 'welcoming.' I would say the opinion of a new member of the community like myself would be a bit more valid then someone who is already welcomed and respected.

I personally know at least 3-4 people who only enjoyed the community because of lain and how he is encouraging. Nobody else. At least not until I met a certain threshold

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Rabbi you seriously are the man. Anyways based on what i've seen and read so far, it doesn't seem like people want this tournament to happen except for maybe a few people. Majority rules I guess. I'll be calling the manager back tomorrow and cancel the date that I asked him to reserve. :yeahboi:

Top Bottom