• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I love how everyone is already complaining about the new smash when we know ****ing nothing about it, lmao.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Gio (and maybe others), fZk planned to do work on Friday morning to justify going to SiiS, so there won't be any late smashing. If you show up earlier, you could play till like 1 with 3 hours of Ally. But if you show up at 12 your getting an hour of smash.

fZk

Smash Lord
I can host until 2am at the latest. after that you all don't need to go home but you got to get the **** out of mine, except ally which i suppose is staying.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I am so bored. Roommates are using Netflix so no TV usage and it drains our internet to barely usable levels. Then just the wait for SiiS 5 amplifies it.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Someone teech me to quarter circle DI cuz kail told me at umt1 but I think Im messin up somewhere.

I hadouken towards the opponent like when they do a falcon punch, is that right? I tried a quarter circle starting at down-towards and ending at up-towards but falcon punches at certain percents seemed to kill me much earlier than with regular hadouken DI. Also, how should I hold the cstick in all this cuz that I conpletely forgot.

Is there any other way to practice better than DI'ing falcon punches in training mode? I noticed sometimes that it registered the down input as a crouch cancel so I make the punch hit me in the air by jumping into it instead.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I don't understand. Why falcon punches? This doesn't even sound like something that deserves practicing. Hardest part of DI is to actually remember to do it when you see you're going to need it.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I don't understand. Why falcon punches? This doesn't even sound like something that deserves practicing. Hardest part of DI is to actually remember to do it when you see you're going to need it.
Well for quarter circle DI jus cuz there's multiple inputs, I wanted to see which ones were the most effective so I did falcon punches to start off with. For just the holding DI, I understand you hold parallel to trajectory so no practicing there but if quarter circle ends up being that easy then asking you guys here will have saved me alot of time with experimenting with the inputs, ^_^.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
For holding DI you do perpendicular. I'll assume you typo'd.

Melee:
For things that are multihit that you want to get out of, pick a direction that's most away from the attack and quickly rotate the control stick between the two directions adjacent to that direction (when I say "Direction" here I mean the 4 cardinal directions and the 4 directly between those). Also just hold the C-stick away from the attack. Don't need to move it.

Brawl:
You can either do the same as Melee, or you can pick the cardinal direction most away from the attack and mash that way on the c-stick returning it to neutral between mashes while holding the control stick one direction adjacent to that. There's actually probably a couple more different ways to SDI in brawl, but those two are probably enough.

Example:
Fox U-air (melee; method applies to Brawl too) Hold (assuming the fox is coming from your right) left on the cstick while rotating the control stick between 1 and 7 (num-pad notation). The reasoning here being that the rotating control stick will give you as many SDI inputs as you can get (typically only 1 for this example) while holding the Cstick guarantees the best ASDI.

Like I said though, the hardest part of all this is just remembering to actually do this when applicable. Well, to be more precise, you shouldn't be "remembering to do it" you should be "doing it on reflex".

rokimomi

Smash Lord
tyty sir, and yes, super typo there

So does qcdi have less of a place in survival DI from like single big hit moves meant to kill you, or did you just mention multihit b/c its more noticeable?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
tyty sir, and yes, super typo there

So does qcdi have less of a place in survival DI from like single big hit moves meant to kill you, or did you just mention multihit b/c its more noticeable?
SDI really should never be used to survive a big hit. All it does is move you slightly. If you're talking about single hit attacks, SDI will only help if you can SDI into a surface and tech. Otherwise, you should just ensure that you have the correct survival DI. It's much better to make sure you have good survival DI than to risk having mediocre DI but gain a tiny distance that may not actually help at all.

For multihit moves, however, it can be very useful for getting out of fox Uair/Dair or peach Dsmash, etc.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only way to save yourself against a big hit through SDI is to SDI into a surface and tech against it. I did this once against a Falco usmash and got accused of cheating. Never managed to get it against a Fox usmash though :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The only way to save yourself against a big hit through SDI is to SDI into a surface and tech against it. I did this once against a Falco usmash and got accused of cheating. Never managed to get it against a Fox usmash though :(
there are cases where the 3 units of movement through SDI can actually prevent you from going into the blastzone.

extremely rare though

Roller

Smash Legend
lol, I was waiting for The Mann to come in here with his new extra salty wendy's fries.

Real talk. Terry won that game. Also. The Mavs are absolutely absurd from 3 range.

Top Bottom