• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best food to eat when playing competitive brawl?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I know this may sound a little silly, but I believe if you eat the right foods, it can help you maintain focus and sharpen your reflexes a bit. I tend to try and stay away from much junk food since that stuff will usually tire me out faster and make me less likely to play very well.

What are some good foods that can help you do that in your opinion?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Brain food.

Eh, I don't know. Nothing greasy because then your controller gets greasy. Maybe vegetables and fruits? I'd love to see someone whip out a tomato or say, a pineapple and start eating it. [at a tourny of course]

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Yeah, but i got crazy eating habits. It's like even though I ate a big burger with fries and am full afterwords, i can sometimes get hungry just 15-30 minutes after. Maybe i should eat stuff with more fiber.

ndayday

BRoomer
Then bring easy stuff to carry. I don't know, pack a sandwich and a couple of granola bars or something...don't forget to write your name on the lunch bag, though. Bring an apple, or other fruits too.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Lots of sweets and Gamer Fuel. (I still have a 2 liter bottle of that. God, it must taste horrible by now ^//^)

Edit:

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Bananas help restore your energy and are quickly absorbed by the body.
Hmm... good tip, i was never too fond of banana's, but i think i'll try this out. Thanks!

Any others like this i'd appreciate it.

Side note: I've been eating a lot of blueberries lately, they're suppose to help your memory.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Midrass/Vindalo (or some spicy curry)

Pwn your opponent with smells which'll distract them concentrating as hard.

But really, Banana is best for you, as it contain potassium, which will make you think smarter in the course of a match.

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
Bananas and yogurt would probably be best because your body doesn't spend very much energy digesting them. It actually takes energy to digest food so things that aren't solid would help.

Lovage

Smash Hero
<-socal melee player, been going to tournaments for 2+ years

I've thought about this question a lot, and i have the most experience with going to tournaments hungry as ***. most tournaments i wake up from a smashfest, eat some skittles or a gas station hot dog at 10am, and then don't eat until after the tournament at like 1am. I might get some hunger rumbles half way thru the tournament, but when i'm focused and playing, i don't feel anything.

this usually works alright for me, but if you have "crazy eating habits" and gotta eat during the tournament, i suggest you bring in your packpack 2 apples (if you're pro, green, cuz green ****) and some bananas. and some beef jerkey.

DONT EAT PIZZA. i swear to god the worst i've ever played in my life was the first half of the san diego triweekly a few months ago. i was really hungry before the tournament so i went to the school's store and bought two big *** slices of pizza. it was tasty. but once teams started i felt TERRIBLE. i was full of crummy greesy cheese and my fingers were slow, i couldn't think. part way thru singles i felt a lot better (and did really well) but i learned my lesson for sure. don't stuff your face full of greesy junk food right before you play. you will feel terrible and play terrible.

so I reccomend if you gotta eat on a tournament day, try to get a decent breakfast with some semi-healthy things (if you wake up at home before the tourny, make some legit eggs and toast.) if you can't get ahold of any small fruits or beef jerky it's ok to eat junk food, but in small portions. if you stuff your face with McDonalds hash browns right before teams you're gonna get *****

good luck

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I like how they always sell Pizza at tournaments I go to.
I stay away from it.
I can't stay having my hands oily. Especially when I'm trying to play and stuff.

Pretzels sound like they would be good.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I like how they always sell Pizza at tournaments I go to.
I stay away from it.
I can't stay having my hands oily. Especially when I'm trying to play and stuff.

Pretzels sound like they would be good.
Lol I've only gone to one tourney, but the one i went to i ate a giant bag of pretzels and like 80 baby carrots. I love carrots...

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Moozle, Carrots are great. I usually eat Corn Nuts or a good Apple before my first match. That sorta gets me focused.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
CHIPOTLE!!!!

Ask anyone from MD/VA. Chipotle is too goodz.

Chicken burrito

EXTRA RICE!
EXTRA MEAT!
EVERYTHING ON IT!

OO and Chicken Quesadilla from Chipotle is too goodz too!

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I doesn't really matter what you eat, and most of the things people have said here don't help really. Eat something with alot of vitamin B, which heightens your concentration, and ofcourse bananas or even Snickers for fast nutrition. Also, drink Red Bull/Extran/Gaytorade for the vitamin B's and fast energy, gets me focussed pretty good :)

ndayday

BRoomer
I doesn't really matter what you eat, and most of the things people have said here don't help really. Eat something with alot of vitamin B, which heightens your concentration, and ofcourse bananas or even Snickers for fast nutrition. Also, drink Red Bull/Extran/Gaytorade for the vitamin B's and fast energy, gets me focussed pretty good :)
At the Red Bull etc., it may not be a good idea to drink that stuff unless you're used to it or have drank it before. You don't know if you'll act all jittery etc. when you drink most of those stimulants, and it may just back-fire on you. Same goes for anything with a lot of caffeine. Bananas and candy bars should be fine though.

I remember seeing a thread in User Blogs detailing how certain drugs will make you play...I should dig it up.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Caffeine can make you a little shakey. For most football players actually eat spaghetti before their big games. It gives them energy faster and isnt too hard to digest. Carbs tend to stay in the body longer and give you abit more energy. Things that are thick like milk or meat are usually harder to digest for our stomachs.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
It depends on your main.

Mario/Luigi --> Pizza
Peach --> Peaches
Donkey/Diddy Kong --> Bananaz
Pokemon Trainer --> Riceballs.

Or you just eat something you like o.o

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Is this a joke thread? Can you seriously not pick out your own food without us telling you what to eat??

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I think the best food you can eat for competitive gaming is Orange Cups.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Earl Grey.

No, really. It has enough caffeine to give you a little edge, but not so much that you crash. Also, any kind of fruit/carbs. I like frozen mango.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
whatever you do... not popcorn. i had popcorn before a tourney and the controller fell out of my hands and fell on the floor. i was embarrased.

Top Bottom