• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best American anime's/cartoons.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I've that guy who loves collecting japanese anime. I've got trigun, cowboy bebop, Black cat, and many many others. but I hardly have any english anime's at all. I'm looking for the best ones to add to my collection and I've only got about 4 right now. any suggestions are appreciated.

sorry this isn't in A&E, I felt as though I would get a better response in here and it is more general than talking about a specific movie or film.

current ones I have

- Samurai Jack 1-4
- Animaniacs
- Megas XLR
- Invader Zim

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
...and many many others. but I hardly have any english anime's at all.
This is news to me.

Anyway, I just guess you mean cartoons with an ongoing story instead of something different every episode? I don't know, because that is Animaniacs. If you could specify what you're looking for, a story or just English animation (cartoons).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Anime by definition originates from japan, though there are some remarkable shows that come close to it (Avatar, for instance, was written in the US and animated by koreans or something).

Samurai Jack and Johnny Bravo are pretty good.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I didn't actually know that.

but yeah, something with good story and preferably smooth drawings/animation

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Avatar is where it's at. One of the best series I've seen so far.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the boondocks is comparable to avatar as far as 2D animation that has come out of america (even tho the animators are korean haha)

if you're into the humor. i am.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
something with good story
You should keep in mind that, relative to Japan, America has a much smaller base of cartoon watchers, most of which are children, meaning there isn't a huge amount of focus on making "good stories". So if you're looking for well developed plot points/etc., your list of qualifying American shows will probably be pretty small.

Not to say their overall quality won't be high. There are VERY few animes I'd rather watch than Samurai Jack and various [adult swim] cartoons.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I tend to avoid most anime. But I have a passion for cartoons.

Mission Hill

Originally aired on the WB (which is now the CW). Like all decent cartoons, it was canceled early in because it didn't revolve around an idiot dad and his three children and his three friends who drink at his bar and take part in crazy antics. The animation style is bright colors, but easy on the eyes. The show is recognized for being an early cartoon to feature a positive portrayal of a gay couple which will keep you laughing but is never in bad taste, the "woman in the relationship" being based on David Niven, who starred in the first Pink Panther. Animation style will appear fresh, because even today, it is. Never replicated. The show is essentially about the anxieties of your post-college years. The humor lying within the animation, which only adds to the appeal, being both a throwback to 60's cartoons, but also comprised of modern animation. There's also some King of The Hill style awkwardness thrown in. Highly recommended.

Batman: The Animated Series

Kicked off the string of modern Batman cartoons. Widely regarded as a one of the best animated series in recent years. It's noticeably darker than any superhero show you've ever seen before. In fact, if you thought they were for kids, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill, the original Luke Skywalker. The show is complex, not mindless, every creative decision was the right one. If this isn't your thing, though, skip this show.

Top Cat

The greatest of the 60's Hanna Barbera cartoons. Holds up in the modern age quite well. Continues the recurring theme of using talking animals as protagonists (think back to every Hanna Barbera cartoon). The show revolves around Top Cat, leader of a gang of alley cats. For whatever reason, Top Cat comes in contact with bookmakers, mobsters, jewel thieves, con artists, and the Shah of Iran on a regular basis. Top Cat's goal in life is to make enough money to live in luxury. Given that it's a kids show, and set in the 60's the creators can never say it, but Top Cat is completely amoral, and a remorseless con artist. Oh, and he loves the police. This is part of the humor, the other part in the storylines. Simple, but they stick to the basics of what works. Combined with all the colorful supporting characters, it always does work. Oh, and throughout the shows you will find statues in the background modeled after Yogi Bear of one of The Flintstones. Nice touch.

12 Oz. Mouse

Warning: this show is NOT for everyone. The art may put you off immediately. The plot might. But it's worth the time to analyze the show. What may look like toddler's drawings over awkward voice acting is so much more. After the third episode, it will start to become clear that something is very off within their universe. The protagonist, named Mouse will gradually realize it as well. There appears to be conspiracy theories everywhere, mind control, cover ups, and cryptic messages. But it's all part of a bigger picture. You know the business exec you were introduced to in the first episode? Everyone he made Mouse pick up from the airport was actually tricking him into letting his guard down so they could easily cover up his past memories. Even the recurring characters are much more than they seem. There is kidnapping, intimidation, musical torture, and everything inbetween. And lots of gunfire.

Liquid Television

Trippy and hypnotic. From back when MTV was special. Watch one of the shorts yourself, it will sum up what you'll be witnessing. The most important detail here is that the show served as a kind of "SNL for cartoons", in that many of the favorite sketches would go on to become well known TV shows. Aeon Flux started here. So did King of the Hill.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
..."American anime's"? Those don't exist.

Anyway, my favorite cartoons are Futurama and King Of The Hill. The new Futurama isn't as good as the old Futurama, unfortunately, but that was to be expected. I guess. King Of The Hill really grew on me after a while. I used to think it was "boring", but I really wasn't watching it. Now that I've actually watched it I love it. I'm really sad that it got replaced by The Cleveland Show. It's bad enough that it ended it when it was still doing pretty good, but to get replaced by that show? Now all we need is for The Simpsons to end and Fox's animation block on Sunday's can belong to Seth McFarlane.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Also, my favourite cartoon right now is definitely Phineas & Ferb. Although I must say that it's a bit funnier in Dutch then English, simply because of how Dr. Doofenschmirz talks in Dutch.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The Simpsons is a pretty phenominal cartoon series. Say what you will about the ups and downs about the episodes, it's hard to deny that. Family Guy as well.

The ones mentioned like Avatar or Boondocks are pretty great too. The glory days was still the 90's for me.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Heres a list:

(adult-oriented cartoons)
King of the Hill
Beavis and Butthead
Family Guy
Simpsons
Boondocks
Aqua Teen Hunger Force

(Kid-oriented cartoons)
Pinkey and The Brain
Cow & Chicken
Ed Ed n Eddy
Phineas and Ferb
Animaniacs
Loony Toons(any of them)
Any Hanna-Barbarra Cartoon
Tom and Jerry(any series, avoid the feature films)
Johnny Bravo
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Spongebob Squarepants
Rugrats
Ren & Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
Ben 10(any series, but watch them in order)
Sonic the Hedgehog(SatAM)
Regular Show

(Action Shows)
The Batman
Batman Beyond
Superman
Teen Titans(HIGHLY recommended)
Samurai Jack
Justice League
Justice League: Unlimited
Static Shock
X-Men
Spiderman
Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes

....And I think thats It. Always happy to help.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
Also, my favourite cartoon right now is definitely Phineas & Ferb. Although I must say that it's a bit funnier in Dutch then English, simply because of how Dr. Doofenschmirz talks in Dutch.
Oh god, this show in Dutch. We also have the dub over here. That Dr. is such a dweeb, but his voice is so well done. "Aaaah, perry het vögelbeckdierr".

marthsword

Smash Ace
I'll actually have to second King of the Hill, for any age groups. It's on every weekday from 10-11 PM on Cartoon Network's adultswim block. At its core, it's a show about the innocent flaws of humanity in modern society. It's a masterpiece of deadpan comedy. And the show will grow on you. Although it may look dull, between the main characters, the show covers conspiracy theories, clinical depression, sinful affairs, early adolescence, proper work ethic, neglectful parents, and the mid-life crisis. Hank Hill is also a fascinating character. A red-blooded American, who was rightfully voted one of the wisest character's on television. Here's a deeply conservative guy, who is beaming after meeting Jimmy Carter. He looks him in the eye out of respect, because "you're a man who ran this country".

Speaking of adultswim, their nighttime block is really shaping up. Brief history: Ted Turner wanted Cartoon Network to run more mature animated programming, decided to use recycled Hanna Barbera footage. The result was Space Ghost Coast to Coast, which was later spun-off into 3 other shows, included Aqua Teen Hunger Force. These shows comprised the original adultswim nightime block, which now airs from 10PM-6AM every night on Cartoon Network.

Anyway, in my mind, adultswim's programming has actually set a few records. Starting with,

Most Disturbing Animated Show

Moral Orel is a claymation show about christianity. Or so it appears. In reality it's about a dysfunctional christian family centered around a naive little boy. A very dysfunctional family. Within one episode, Christmas begins, but there are no presents under the tree because the town's minister hints during a sermon that he knows Orel's little brother was the result of an affair between his mother and an unknown man. Orel's dad is furious and leaves, which makes the mother enter a deep depression, to the point where she never buys Orel or his brother christmas presents, nor makes them breakfast. Meanwhile, Orel asks where his father is, but the mention of his father makes his mother furious, and she sends him to go spend Christmas with his dad, away from her. Orel finds his dad drinking inside a bar, who in a drunken state, is now holding hands with the town's well-known homosexual bachelor. Saddened by his bleak Christmas day, he slumps down onto the sidewalk. After a couple minutes, he checks his watch and rejoices when he finds that 3 hours of Christmas still remain. You watch his optimism gently fade as he paces in the cold, still waiting for his father, who is either yet to notice him, or too neglectful to care, to take him home and celebrate the last minutes of Christmas. But Orel still waits...and the camera fades out.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Actually forgot some: Codename KND, and an upcoming show: Young Justice(saw a teaser, it looks fantastic. Sort of a spiritual sucessor to Teen Titans, one of my favorite shows ever)

G U R U

Smash Lord
Getocoolaid your list is spot on. Probably not a single cartoon I could think to add to it.

My fav's are Aqua Teen, Boondocks, Sonic Sat AM, and basically all the super hero shows you mentioned. Simpsons and Family Guy have gotten really stale for me in the past few years. I just watched It's a Trap, the hour long Return of the Jedi spoof, and it was not funny at all.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
It's a Trap was horrible. I felt like sleeping within the first 10 minutes.

Heres a list:

(adult-oriented cartoons)
King of the Hill
Beavis and Butthead
Family Guy
Simpsons
Boondocks
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Squidbillies

(Kid-oriented cartoons)
Pinkey and The Brain
Cow & Chicken
Ed Ed n Eddy
Phineas and Ferb
Animaniacs
Loony Toons(any of them)
Any Hanna-Barbarra Cartoon
Tom and Jerry(any series, avoid the feature films)
Johnny Bravo
Spongebob Squarepants
Rugrats
Ren & Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
Ben 10(any series, but watch them in order)
Sonic the Hedgehog(SatAM)
Regular Show
Chowder
Adventure Time
Misadventures of Flapjack
Spongebob Squarepants

(Action Shows)
The Batman
Batman Beyond
Superman
Teen Titans(HIGHLY recommended)
Samurai Jack
Justice League
Justice League: Unlimited
Static Shock
X-Men
Spiderman
Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes

....And I think thats It. Always happy to help.
Crossed out ones I disagreed with, added things in red, and highlighted things I felt important. Didn't do anything about the action shows because I can't take action cartoons seriously.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
He already had SpongeBob on there, lol.

But while we're on that topic I think it should be noted that the series is generally considered to have experienced a decline since about its 4th season.

EDIT: Couple of things Geto forgot: the Powerpuff Girls (which is more gender-neutral than it sounds, at least as far as I can remember) and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, both the creation of Craig McCracken, as well as Dexter's Laboratory by Genndy Tartakovsky, a frequent collaborator of McCracken's and creator of Samurai Jack. He also has a fairly new cartoon called Sym-Bionic Titan which I haven't seen much of but heard good things about.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'll actually have to second King of the Hill, for any age groups. It's on every weekday from 10-11 PM on Cartoon Network's adultswim block. At its core, it's a show about the innocent flaws of humanity in modern society. It's a masterpiece of deadpan comedy. And the show will grow on you. Although it may look dull, between the main characters, the show covers conspiracy theories, clinical depression, sinful affairs, early adolescence, proper work ethic, neglectful parents, and the mid-life crisis. Hank Hill is also a fascinating character. A red-blooded American, who was rightfully voted one of the wisest character's on television. Here's a deeply conservative guy, who is beaming after meeting Jimmy Carter. He looks him in the eye out of respect, because "you're a man who ran this country".
One of the wisest characters on television?

I like King of the Hill and how the characters have more realistic flaws, but I would not consider Hank Hill to be all of that wise. To be honest he's all over the place to me. Sometimes he has sense, but lets be honest a good number of the episodes revolve around him being wrong and coming to see the light in the end.

Those episodes where he is wrong in the beginning and still wrong at the end drive me insane!

Jodesa

Smash Rookie
Avatar: The Last Airbender has been once my addiction. Would Spongebob counts on this American cartoons, they got some weirdness going but it is funny. Invader Zim is also good cartoon, Gir is awesome. conversion optimization l ventrillo

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
^^^^With the exception of Batman:TAS and South Park, of course

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
nobody mentioned archer, wth :x

apart from that all good stuff has been mentioned, my faves:
dexters lab
futurama
south park
spongebob

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
The best cartoon currently airing is Adventure Time, that show cracks me up. It also has my favorite voice actor of all time(Dee Bradley Baker is in a close second) in it, I mean, who doesn't love John DiMaggio? The man voices Jake, Bender, and Marcus Fenix, he is a complete beast!

It is so cleverly written compared to the other utter trash on TV these days. I just hope it doesn't end up like Spongebob. That was such a brilliant show, but then the writing became utter trash after the 3rd season. Spongebob has become so painfully unfunny that I can barely watch it.
Here is my top 5
1. Adventure Time
2. Futurama
3. American Dad
4. Spongebob Squarepants(seasons 1-3)
5. Tie- Avatar: The Last Airbender/Invader Zim

Alexis121

Smash Rookie
The Best American anime's/cartoons:

http://images.stanzapub.com/readers/2009/03/31/big-o_2.jpg

A mysterious and dark anime, Big O followed a futuristic city where no one could remember their past. Giant robots were plentiful and murders too! This show was a little too bizzarre and melancholy for some, but it had a wonderful story. Also, with great voice acting and intrigue, this show comes in at number eight.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Things Marked in Green are reccomended; things bolded are highly reccomended. (IMO)
things marked in yellow are in-the-midde.
things marked in red SUCK.

anything marked with no color i am indifferent about.

The Moxy Show
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
What a Cartoon!
Dexter's laboratory

Johnny Bravo
Cow & Chicken
The Powerpuff Girls
Ed, Edd n' Eddy
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Mike, Lu, and Og
Sheep in the big City (love this show, not for everyone though.)
Time Squad
Samurai Jack
Whatever happened to Robot Jones?
Codename: Kids Next Door
Evil Con Came (spin-off of above show.)
Megas XLR (WE. DIG. GIANT ROBOTS.) HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi
The Life and Times of Juniper Lee
Camp Lazlo
My Gym's Partner a Monkey
Ben 10 (don't watch alien force.)
Squirell Boy
Class of 3000
Out of Jimmy's Head
Chowder
Transformers: Animated
Ben 10: Alien Force (ruined the series.)
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
The Secret Saturdays
Adventure Time
Ben 10: Ultimate Alien (ruined it more.)
Generator Rex
Sym-Bionic Titan

this is a more recent list, and it is only for Cartoon Network.

i'll post an earlier list later if you want me to.

Top Bottom