• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Barracks - Robin Q&A Thread [ASK GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE]

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm probably not in the right place but how on earth does one go about playing against Robin? I was casually playing one online just then and lost pretty much every single game.

Playing against this character is overwhelming, and if you somehow do get in you have to contend with these huge disjointed extremely damaging aerials. HelP

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
I'm probably not in the right place but how on earth does one go about playing against Robin? I was casually playing one online just then and lost pretty much every single game.

Playing against this character is overwhelming, and if you somehow do get in you have to contend with these huge disjointed extremely damaging aerials. HelP
LOZ_Secret.png

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord

Basically, get in her space. He doesn't have many "get off me" moves and lacks good OOS options, especially after the latest patch. Try not to let him charge thunder, since Arcthunder can lead to a lot of stuff if you get hit by it or shield it, but if he does, don't respect it too much;just keep it in mind. When he's in the air, stay below him where Uair can't reach and generally don't let him land (watch out for random Elwinds, though). Characters with good mobility can usually get around Arcfire easily, and if they do it close enough to you, roll in and punish with whatever. And edgeguard him, obviously.

Someone better than me can probably give you better advice, but for now, hopefully this helps.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Just yesterday I learned in the hard way that using thoron offstage is one of the worst things you can do, that move has way too much endlag.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Now that we've had time to adjust to the latest patch, I'd like to solicit some input from my fellow tourney-going tacticians on the matters of playstyle and mindset. I had a bit of an epiphany about my own personal playstyle at a local tourney earlier this month, and I'm wondering how you all might feel about it in regards to your own playstyles and what you feel is optimal for the character herself. To elaborate on my own experience, I've found my play has developed strongly around the idea of slowing the game down as much as possible. I noticed that in the process of getting better at keeping a calm, level head during tournament sets, I've been able to force others to show the cracks in their own mental states by employing this type of defensive/reactive play. In particular, I've seen that catching people in lots of wind jabs, locking their shields with Arcthunder (leading to Dthrow, leading to more wind jabs), and generally surviving to high percents are things that easily frustrate some mid-level players. That said, my play is not yet strong enough to enforce this sort of dynamic against stronger players, which leads me to wonder how well the war-of-attrition playstyle is going to fare at higher levels of play.

What do you all think? Do those of you who take tourneys and place highly in your brackets mostly forego defensive play with Robin for more emphasis on pressure? Do you find that aggression is only viable in lower-tier matchups? Or can you still frustrate strong opponents by slowing down their play?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Just yesterday I learned in the hard way that using thoron offstage is one of the worst things you can do, that move has way too much endlag.
Nah, it's a full-screen projectile that does 18% and kills at ~!20%. Its endlag is fine, just don't use it offstage (The other thunder variants are better there).

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
If you do the faster thoron cast (not custom speed thunder, what I mean is instead of holding down Special for damage you simply press it and Thoron cast a bit faster with much less end lag but no extra damage) and time it to where you throw Thoron out above the stage you can use you're double jump and elwind to survive.

I do it a bit as no one expects it and its a good way to tack on damage or net a kill possibly. Also if you know the thunder tome will break you can jump back and catch it with Grab (so no air dodge animation occurs) and then immediately Up B. And now you're on stage with a tome.

Happy tactics

Last edited:

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Now that we've had time to adjust to the latest patch, I'd like to solicit some input from my fellow tourney-going tacticians on the matters of playstyle and mindset. I had a bit of an epiphany about my own personal playstyle at a local tourney earlier this month, and I'm wondering how you all might feel about it in regards to your own playstyles and what you feel is optimal for the character herself. To elaborate on my own experience, I've found my play has developed strongly around the idea of slowing the game down as much as possible. I noticed that in the process of getting better at keeping a calm, level head during tournament sets, I've been able to force others to show the cracks in their own mental states by employing this type of defensive/reactive play. In particular, I've seen that catching people in lots of wind jabs, locking their shields with Arcthunder (leading to Dthrow, leading to more wind jabs), and generally surviving to high percents are things that easily frustrate some mid-level players. That said, my play is not yet strong enough to enforce this sort of dynamic against stronger players, which leads me to wonder how well the war-of-attrition playstyle is going to fare at higher levels of play.

What do you all think? Do those of you who take tourneys and place highly in your brackets mostly forego defensive play with Robin for more emphasis on pressure? Do you find that aggression is only viable in lower-tier matchups? Or can you still frustrate strong opponents by slowing down their play?
I've personally find that higher level players are able to adapt and get around me if I stick strictly defensive. So I ebb and flow between a sort of Aggro defensive wall if that makes sense. I also typically get 13th to 9th in my local of 40-ish. Still new and figuring things out but hope that helps

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

If you're being overwhelmed by Robin it means you aren't respecting his offense enough. Block more, look for oppurtunities to move in and make his life hell but not letting up your offense (our defensive play isn't strong). If they're spamming Arcfire you can literally roll on block and punish. If we're offstage, PUNISH since Robin's recovery is poor.

You can win this. You just need to play more carefully.

Last edited:

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Hello, I'm new to Robin, and like his/her way to play. But my question is, how can I use the four variations of Thunder?

Thanks in advance!

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Hello, I'm new to Robin, and like his/her way to play. But my question is, how can I use the four variations of Thunder?

Thanks in advance!
Thunder's a poke-use it when you need a really fast projectile. Elthunder's your main spacing and such projectile, since it's relatively fast and does good damage. Arcthunder's very useful to get combos (there's probably a list somewhere), so you should keep this stored if you think you can use it, otherwise keep Elthunder. Thoron's pretty much just for killing and as a threat; you can force reactions out of people just by holding a Thoron.

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
ARGHETH ARGHETH thanks!

I'd also like to know some easy killing combos/moves. All I really know is I think down or up throw to Levin sword up air and throwing a Thoron at the opponent off stage. And the smashes, but they aren't reliable Imo.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
ARGHETH ARGHETH thanks!

I'd also like to know some easy killing combos/moves. All I really know is I think down or up throw to Levin sword up air and throwing a Thoron at the opponent off stage. And the smashes, but they aren't reliable Imo.
:/
I dunno, really. There's Dthrow-->Uair at certain percents, aerials offstage, Elwind spikes, and other stuff like that, but no really easy ones.
You're probably better off asking one of those guys who actually go to tournaments...

Nah

Smash Champion
ARGHETH ARGHETH thanks!

Arcfire and Arcthunder (at close range) are Robin's primary kill setups. Arcfire can chain into Levin Uair/Fair, while Arcthunder can lead to Fsmash/Dsmash. Bthrow also kills most people around 150% at the ledge. Then there's also the fact that both jab finishers can kill as well (Fire works better on floaties, Wind on fastfallers).

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
Nah Nah Thanks!

I had come to realize that Arcfire can set up aerials, then if you don't k.o just go for another aerial while they're off stage. And have also noticed the jab finishers have k.o potential, but I don't usually end up pulling them off. I also enjoy doing the double Arcfire at low percents, it's so satisfying.

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088

Thanks in advance!
My usage of thunders may be a little different than others, but I think it works well just the same.

Thunder I use for fast pokes/disrupting my opponents approaches, especially against fast characters or super aggro players like C. Falcon. (Think like Megaman lemons/pellets).

Elthunder I use for the same situation as above, for mid-range characters, and I use it more often in cases where someone would expect projectiles like Falco lasers, Villager fair/baid, etc. Plus I use it when the opponent is off stage because it's faster than thoron and because of it's speed and knockback, it comes in clutch for some really nice snipe kills pretty early. If they get conditioned to dodging that elthunder, I'll throw it out, run off stage, and catch them with fair at the end of their air dodge.

Arcthunder you should be familiar with by now, one of your main combo tools, I've only used it a handful of times off stage instead of elthunder. Not much else to say about it but go to the lab. It literally combos into anything from all your aerials, arcfire, nosferatu, elwind spike, literally everything besides more thunder.

And lastly Thoron I throw out in zoning match ups. I'll also use it when Im across stage and the opponent is getting up from the ledge. Make sure to hold B when using it to make it last longer/do more damage. Also fthrow to thoron combos at certain percents, and dtilt to thoron combos at around 150% once dtilt becomes a tech situation. Typically kills ~130% but you have much better kill options by then. Small tip! Against "New/Bad/Basic Sheiks", they'll LOVE to jump first, then bouncing fish to get back on stage. Same with Diddy Kongs. That's a free thoron!

A lot of info, but I hope this helps!

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
So, before I say my actual question, let me describe how I've been playing Robin, or at least attempting to do so with limited success:
- I don't really approach in the neutral, instead I have a habit of using Down Tilt into backwards hopping FAirs (My Mac skills show through with my down tilt spam >;o)
- I charge up to Elthunder and Arcthunder, and only to Thoron if I know I'll be killing or if it is the end of the tome's lifespan.
- Arcfire is used whenever its a Mac, Fox, or Mario. Otherwise, I don't use it as often as others do, instead I like the third Jab hit for Arcfire.
- I usually space with Neutral Aerial against rushdown, which often gets me punished.

How do I deal with Rushdown characters, what is Robin's best aerial to use against these rushdown characters, and how the hell do I deal with Lucas?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
How do I deal with Rushdown characters
Space carefully, use Arcfire as a wall whenever they're too far to punish the endlag, and use Elthunder/jab as often as you can. LS aerials are also very important here.
what is Robin's best aerial to use against these rushdown characters,
Fair, since it has the best arc for dealing with people in front. Uair if they're in the air and not below you.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Just a question, what combos can Reflet do at lower percents?
When should nosferatu be used?
Is Nair the best way to put the Levin Sword away?
What is the easiest way to catch the tomes and Levin Sword?

Nah

Smash Champion
Just a question, what combos can Reflet do at lower percents?
Basically at low percents it's:
Dthrow>Jab
Arcfire>Levin Fair>Levin Fair/Levin Uair
Arcthunder>Fsmash/Dsmash/Nosferatu/grab

The Arcthunder combos work at all percents though.

When should nosferatu be used?
Generally as a punish, mixup, or hard read, particularly against shield-happy opponents. Works pretty good with tomahawks. It also has more vertical range than you'd think, so sometimes you can use it to catch people on platforms from below. Sometimes I like to/get away with doing turnaround Nosferatus to cover my landings or sometimes even just jump right over people and then turnaround Nosferatu. You also kinda don't want to use it at really low percents since you're kinda wasting the healing that way.

Is Nair the best way to put the Levin Sword away?
Idk if there's really a "best" way to swap back to the bronze sword. Tilts, Nair, and Jab all use bronze sword only, so you can kind of pick which one's best for the situation I guess.

What is the easiest way to catch the tomes and Levin Sword?
You kinda just have to practice it. I do it mostly with dash attack or Nair, but airdodge works too.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
When using any of Reflet's tilts, what should i use to follow up with?
What are his best True Combos?
What are some great kill combos?
And if i do end up catching the book/sword, what should i do with it?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
What are his best True Combos?
Dthrow --> Jab at Low % (~ 0-20)
Dthrow --> Utilt at mid % (I have no idea)
Dthrow --> Uair at kill % (~ 90-100)
Arcfire --> Fair/Uair
Point-blank Arcthunder --> Fsmash
What are some great kill combos?
Dthrow --> Uair works very well if you know the % it works on for your opponent's character, Uair/Fair can kill after an Arcfire/thunder, and I believe you can Bair after an Uair (back hit).
And if i do end up catching the book/sword, what should i do with it?
Wait for an opportunity and throw it? It's a very strong projectile, after all. Other than that, maybe shield pressure or something, I don't really know since I've never been able to consistently catch it.

Glory Blaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
GloryBlaze37
If you get the chance, Arcthunder or Arcfire into book is a guaranteed kill at ~95 before hit center stage and lower near the edge

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
you can pressure your opponent really well with a tome.
with items you have generally 2 Options, Throw it oder Z Drop it. Both are very strong tools, you just have to find the right mix between them. Just throwing can work really well, especially if your opponent doesnt know what robin is (lol). If he tends to shield a lot do something like full hop, z drop the tome, fair on his shield and then instant toss the tome to catch him off guard
there are tons of situations, just try everything u can imagine

Player -0

Smash Hero
rip Puff.

If Puff is approaching from air you want to space yourself so you're just out of Bair/Fair range. You should be able to punish Nair spacing on shield. Lots of empty hop/retreating non levin sword Fairs/Nairs. Stay on the tip of the sword. Figure out jump patterns and pop a casual thunder in the space every so often at a range to throw off mental game. Since Puff should be approaching you can run forward -> shield if Puff is high enough off the ground to attempt to force an airdodge/aerial then punish. Just don't get obvious or else you get spooked by grab tomahawks (which isn't that bad) or get read into a rest (kinda bad).

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
1st Question: How come the second uair doesn't connect with the first one at a low% until 32%?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Hi, robin boards, I've been using robin a lot and I was just curious as to just what percents Fthrow->thoron works, and on which characters, do I need a shorthop to land some? I like, just learned about this while messing around so I have trouble landing it reliably.

Also, when's a good time to Nosferatu? The short range is really frustrating to work with.
Lastly, I keep missing grabs from Arcthunder, are there any tips for that? Thanks in advance!

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Hi, robin boards, I've been using robin a lot and I was just curious as to just what percents Fthrow->thoron works,
I'm not really sure Fthrow--> Thoron really works reliably...Fthrow-->Speed Thoron does, but I don't think regular works.
Also, when's a good time to Nosferatu? The short range is really frustrating to work with.
Usually at a shielding opponent when you're in the air (try conditioning them to shield via SH aerials or whatever).
Lastly, I keep missing grabs from Arcthunder, are there any tips for that?
If they're too far (~Arcfire distance?), I'd suggest just going for an aerial. If they're right next to you, just Fsmash them. Between those, though, you can probably try a dashgrab and get them.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
So first, fthrow thoron does Work on certain fastfallers, like sheik, fox or falcon. But its not really worth it to go for it, because dthrow up Air ist usually better.

Second like argeth said, use it as landing mixup. U can jump over your opponent and breversal it. You can also hit opponents who are standing on the Battlefield Plattform with Short hop nosferatu. The verticall hitbox is much taller than someone might think

Lastly there is no Real tip how to get grabs After arcthunder, besides using rolecancled grabs, which have a little bit more range. You just have to know, that Robin is super Slow so you cant always get a grab after an arcthunder. Otherwise just grab them lol. Its really not that hard

ElementUser

Smash Cadet
When I play Robin, I don't really incorporate a lot of Nair in my gameplay. What general situations is Nair a nice option compared to Robin's other aerials?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
When I play Robin, I don't really incorporate a lot of Nair in my gameplay. What general situations is Nair a nice option compared to Robin's other aerials?
Edgeguarding, for one. Nair sends characters at a really good angle for edgeguarding, and at times you can chain them together to get people offstage. It's also good if you need a quick aerial for whatever reason.

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
Robin was my secondary ever since the game came out, and about 7 months ago I had finally started to make him my primary main. I feel as though I've improved a lot with him since then, but I've somewhat hit a wall where I'm not really getting any better with him. I'm not crazy good and feel as though I have a lot to learn, but I have no idea how to go about improving any further. Due to this wall, I'm thinking I might drop Robin, even though I really enjoy playing as him.

I'm somewhat limited due to my college's internet not being the best. For Glory is out of the question and I don't get to battle my friends as often as I would like. I've been mainly fighting level 9 CPUs which I know is not the best for training purposes. I watch high level matches with Robin and tons of videos. I'm trying my best to learn new combos and I'm currently trying to incorporate B reversals in to my playstyle. What else should I be doing to improve my Robin?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom