• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Barracks - Robin Q&A Thread [ASK GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE]

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
I tried both for a few matches and it was rough. I use L to shield and roll so that was no good lol. Maybe R would be better for me but I can probably do D-Throw to Uair normally.

Tilts were helpful on C-stick but I use it for aerials too and somehow NAir come out way too often instead of FAir. It's probably the way I flick my stick ;) but it was jank so I reverted lol. Tilts are pretty situational anyway and I'm not bad at doing them mid combat. Thanks for the incite though. Do you use C-Stick for aerials? Ever have that happen to you?
I've recently been experimenting with controls a lot. In the end, I'm sticking with C-stick to attack, and changed R to jump. I'm trying to get in the habit of using all of my aerial attacks with the c-stick. Two reasons for this:
A) you can do fully retreating or moving forward aerials, most noticeably Nair, that are otherwise impossible to do (since you'd have to let go of right/left to use a Nair, hence limiting your momentum - this also applied in Brawl)
B) When you do a standing aerial, your momentum is different than if you'd normally run and do an aerial. But for some reason, when your c-stick is set to attack and use that for an aerial instead of A, your momentum properties are different. You can still move left/right with the c-stick from a standing aerial, instead of having the normal limited momentum.

Looks like ACN already covered the neutrals from the attack stick thing.
Using L or R to jump for this shouldn't make a difference, so if you want to change one to jump, use the one you don't shield with.
There's some minor tech if you have tap jump on, but as of the meta yet, there doesn't seem to be enough of a reason to re-learn everything if you're already used to tap jump off.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What are all of Robin's DThrow followups?

Sometimes she can combo DThrow into jabs, but sometimes players can Nair out of it. I've been able to do it into Uair before. Upon further testing in the Training mode, it can situationally combo at 105 to 110% on Duck Hunt, which is a kill combo not unlike pre-patch Diddy's.

Also, what's the best way to lure someone into Arcthunder?

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
So how exactly are you supposed to fight Mario anyway? It's always such a goddamn struggle and I'd rather it not be anymore since the plumber's such a commonly used character.

What are all of Robin's DThrow followups?

Sometimes she can combo DThrow into jabs, but sometimes players can Nair out of it. I've been able to do it into Uair before. Upon further testing in the Training mode, it can situationally combo at 105 to 110% on Duck Hunt, which is a kill combo not unlike pre-patch Diddy's.
Jab, Utilt, Usmash, and Uair can all combo from Dthrow. Jab and Utilt are the easiest to do, though Usmash I've never been able to do at all and Uair I've gotten a few times but I've never been sure if it was a true combo or my opponent just had slow reactions/didn't know they could avoid it/whatever.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Spacing short-hop nairs can help some against Mario. It's still an incredibly tedious matchup though and I remain convinced Mario has the advantage, a significant one, throughout. You're in big trouble once he slips past your zoning tools, which will happen eventually and his Cape means you have to be a LOT smarter about your projectiles and even your recovery.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Ok, so this amounts to a 'double post' but the last post in here, mine, was from about 10 days ago; I hope people won't mind this.

Basically, I am struggling to use Arcfire well. It used to net me tons of hits and combos back when people had no idea what the move did. That was six months ago. They have since figured it out and I now get bopped almost all the time for trying to use it. Hell, my win-rate skyrockets if I stop using it entirely. This seems like an extreme decision though.

Could I ask for some insights on what it's actually good for? I know what it's bad for; tossing out at mid-screen neutral (people just jump over it on prediction, or sometimes reaction, and nail me). It doesn't seem to do much good at the very edge of the stage (they just roll past it, or sometimes they stand and take no damage anyhow? Very odd) and that's hard to aim reliably anyway. It's also bad during the disadvantage state, they just run under the aerial Arcfire and nail me.

So I've figured out the bad times to use it, but I can't seem to find realistic good times to use it aside from sometimes tossing it out to cover my own recovery to the stage edge (And this can be punished on prediction). Help me learn what it's properly for?

Nah

Smash Champion
You can use it to catch people's landings sometimes. If you have a pretty good idea where they're gonna land you can drop an Arcfire there and pop 'em back up into the air or hit them with an aerial.

I think it's kinda matchup dependent too though. Arcfire tends to be borderline useless against high mobility characters like Sheik, Pikachu, Fox, etc because mobility means **** all other attributes, but works well against characters with poor mobility and/or large hurtboxes since it's a little difficult for them to get around it.

There's probably more to it than that but it's not like I know that much or anything

Kvar

Smash Rookie
NNID
ArashiYamada
Probably asked somewhere already, but what are some of Robin's best stages?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Raziek actually posted an at-length thread for it. I'm on my way out the door so I can't dig up the exact link, but it is here, please look around for it in our thread list. I disagree with him on one or two points (I'm not as fond of Lylat as he is, for example), but that is differing opinion. Overall his guide is good stuff and will help you out.

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Probably asked somewhere already, but what are some of Robin's best stages?
Raziek actually posted an at-length thread for it. I'm on my way out the door so I can't dig up the exact link, but it is here, please look around for it in our thread list. I disagree with him on one or two points (I'm not as fond of Lylat as he is, for example), but that is differing opinion. Overall his guide is good stuff and will help you out.
Just so you guys know as well, I gave that guide an update today on my lunch break, so it's now good for the current patch.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Cool. Thank you, Raziek. I'll check it out momentarily. While you're here, did you have anything to add to Nah's remarks regarding Arcfire? I'm starting to pound into my head to not toss it out much against the likes of Sheik and Fox because they just slip past it and wreck me if I use it in neutral, but wondering if there's more to it.

Have had some luck with retreating short-hop Arcfires from time to time. Other than that it seems like anti-landing, anti-'run headlong for me the second the match starts', and 'anti-heavy character', but not much else.

Edited: Finished reading the guide, interesting look at a few things. I think this has helped clear up a few weird thoughts on Robin I'd been mulling over for a while, thanks again for updating this.

Last edited:

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
When you DI do you want to do the input (:GCD::GCL::GCR: ) right when you get hit, or will it work if you're already holding one of the directions as you get hit?

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Depends on what you're being hit by, I think. Not 100% sure, but I generally find holding DI before a throw helps for example, but repeated DI inputs (DI, stick to neutral, DI, etc., often termed "Smash DI") help against rapid multi-hits more?

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Depends on what you're being hit by, I think. Not 100% sure, but I generally find holding DI before a throw helps for example, but repeated DI inputs (DI, stick to neutral, DI, etc., often termed "Smash DI") help against rapid multi-hits more?
Yeah, I saw that example of smash DI in a video, but I was just curious about the first part of your answer.

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
When you DI do you want to do the input (:GCD::GCL::GCR: ) right when you get hit, or will it work if you're already holding one of the directions as you get hit?
Yes, if you're holding a direction before + during when you get hit, the DI will carry through. So if you whiff an attack and know you're going to get hit by an opponent's Usmash, you should anticipate accordingly and already be holding left/right.

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Yes, if you're holding a direction before + during when you get hit, the DI will carry through. So if you whiff an attack and know you're going to get hit by an opponent's Usmash, you should anticipate accordingly and already be holding left/right.
Sweet, just what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot!

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Hey everyone,

Im new to competitive smash (3 months give or take) and was pointed this way from @shrooby so I thought Id take a gander and see what everyone thinks (not sure if this is the right forum or not to post this).

I played at a Regional in SoCal (where I am located) and was on stream agains a good PR Rank player who plays Samus. We went to game 3 and I made a technical flub that cost me the game and set. Looking at the video now I see lots of things I coulda done differently had I not panicked I suppose. But in all honesty I would love some fresh eyes on this.

I know my main mistake in game 3 but overall I'd love to know if you guys see anything I need to improve on. Movement options, followups, punishes or what have you.

I absolutely love and solo main Robin. Looking to improve at the game and make some waves in SoCal. Be as brutally honest as you can. Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer to respond that way.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
How much damage to Robin's items do? I can't find the exact data anywhere. I figure they all do some kind of bonus damage to shields right?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I'm aware of Robin's buffs in the last patch, but I have noticed something bugging me: I often chain an aerial Arcfire catch with a Levin Fair at low %(for follow-ups)or as a finisher(UAir is a better option, I know)and for some reason lately and it dawned on me: Levin Fair has amazing launch power the moment it connects RIGHT after the last hit on Arcfire is dealt.

I posted a replay of perhaps the first match where I notice this against a FG Shiek in 1v1. Is there something I'm overlooking in the patch notes, or did Levin Fair get a launch power buff? Arcfire seems to diminish this, but now that I state that - it feels like a well-known fact.

Edit: forgot the video, my bad. Chain is at 1:03 - does anyone find that a bit odd that FAir kills that early?
https://youtu.be/LRjMLIZV1F8?t=62

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I don't know their values relative to shields, but Levin does 11 or 12 and a thrown book does 18.

That is not a typo. The books do more damage. Considerably more, and are likely to KO around 110-120% near the edge.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Sfair got a 1.5% increase in damage in patch 1.10, and more damage means more kill power.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Indeed. I guess using it while Arcfire is still going diminishes the launch, otherwise, Levin Fair can actually kill now.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
It's 17%-18% if you smash throw a book, 15% if normally thrown, and 13% if you Z-drop it on someone

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm aware of Robin's buffs in the last patch, but I have noticed something bugging me: I often chain an aerial Arcfire catch with a Levin Fair at low %(for follow-ups)or as a finisher(UAir is a better option, I know)and for some reason lately and it dawned on me: Levin Fair has amazing launch power the moment it connects RIGHT after the last hit on Arcfire is dealt.

I posted a replay of perhaps the first match where I notice this against a FG Shiek in 1v1. Is there something I'm overlooking in the patch notes, or did Levin Fair get a launch power buff? Arcfire seems to diminish this, but now that I state that - it feels like a well-known fact.

Edit: forgot the video, my bad. Chain is at 1:03 - does anyone find that a bit odd that FAir kills that early?
https://youtu.be/LRjMLIZV1F8?t=62
Sfair got a 1.5% increase in damage in patch 1.10, and more damage means more kill power.
Merged your thread into Q&A thread. And yes, Zareidriel is correct. More damage = more knockback. It's the same reason Elthunder kills earlier now. (damage buffed from 9 to 10.5)
I don't know their values relative to shields, but Levin does 11 or 12 and a thrown book does 18.

That is not a typo. The books do more damage. Considerably more, and are likely to KO around 110-120% near the edge.
The Levin Sword does 15 smash thrown and 11/12 on a normal toss.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Is there a percent where d-throw to u-air is guaranteed and kills against every character?

Nah

Smash Champion
Is there a percent where d-throw to u-air is guaranteed and kills against every character?
It's rather character, rage, and DI dependent, so there isn't exactly a general range where Checkmate works on everyone, but I do have numbers for a few characters (no rage, but fairly sure these are true combos even with DI, so long as you follow their DI):

:4sheik:: 93%-122%
:4zss:: 95%-121%
:4fox:: 93%-122%
:4falcon:: 109%-121%
:4greninja:: 106%-116%

That's only 5, but hey at least 4 of them are pretty relevant.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Thanks for the information.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
What are the best ways to land the Checkmate combo consistently? Is there an easy way to buffer that Uair after Dthrow?

I get KO's off of it all the time, though I suspect that my opponent could have airdodged. If the training mode combo counter is to be trusted; I can only seem to get it to register as a true combo maybe 50% of the time.

Would it be more consistent if I bind jump to a shoulder button? Double stick with tap jump? Or maybe I can just straight up learn the buffer timing with Control-stick +A via repetition?

Jaemz

Smash Rookie
One thing I am having trouble with, is mix-ups.

I've gotten most basic combos down, and I've even found a use for the forward throw that everyone shames.

Yet, for whatever reason, I feel like my Robin becomes much too predictable rather quickly... Is there any hints or tips that you Robin lovers can give me? Pls and thx

Glory Blaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
GloryBlaze37
Some of my favorite mix ups come from grabs - my fav damage racking method is dthrow jab and dthrow utilt, so by the time my opponent reaches kill percent, they're used to both immediately airdodging and DIing away.

70%: Dthrow to charged fsmash to catch the airdodge

90-110: Fthrow to Thoron if you're at the ledge. Catches airdodges, if they DI away (correct DI for the checkmate), they can't jump out.

Of course if your opponent is wise to these tricks just Checkmate.

Also when you're trying to land, dropping an Elwond on your opponent or using a Breverse Thunder charge is swell.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
It's hard to mix-up with Robin if you're easily fixated with whatever works, especially since Robin - like other slower characters such as Ganondorf and Ike are so easy to punish.

Another trick is LSUair or LSFair if your opponent reads you as projectile spamming and trying to get on the drop on you. Charge your Neutral B, cancel and go for the kill at the most opportune moment - and if they start air dodging it, start baiting it to leave them momentarily vulnerable on the ground.

If the opponent does a single leap over your ground Arcfire just to approach you, surprise them with a timely positioned LSUAir or Usmash

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
One thing I am having trouble with, is mix-ups.

I've gotten most basic combos down, and I've even found a use for the forward throw that everyone shames.

Yet, for whatever reason, I feel like my Robin becomes much too predictable rather quickly... Is there any hints or tips that you Robin lovers can give me? Pls and thx
General questions go in the Q&A thread, merged your topic into it.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Anyone has some tips on how to deal with the Mario's capes? most of the time Mario wrecks robin at close range, and whenever I try to cap him he can easily just reflect my proyectiles, should I try to be more agressive and go for the aproach or what?

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Anyone has some tips on how to deal with the Mario's capes? most of the time Mario wrecks robin at close range, and whenever I try to cap him he can easily just reflect my proyectiles, should I try to be more agressive and go for the aproach or what?
I find hit and run tactics work the best because your sword outranges mario's hand. The big issue is once you are hit or grabbed your generally combo food. DI mixups help. Unless I am near the edge for a Fair Spike, I like to DI in to up and towards the opponent as they don't always expect it and they at times can't chain as many combos.

Arc Fire is very unsafe in this matchup. In Neutral use sparingly.

If you get up tilted, wait for the 2nd up tilt to hit, then you can jump out of the combo no matter what as long as you buffer the jump. If you try to jump after the first uTilt then you will get clipped out of your second jump and will be hit hard in the combo string.

Top Bottom