• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, people thought Banjo & Kazooie were impossible because of being owned by Microsoft, yet they cooperated with Nintendo and made the dream into a reality for the fans. It might be harder to get Activision on the same page, but one thing they love is money so they might cooperate with Nintendo to make Crash in Smash happen.
But then the issue becomes "would Nintendo be willing to approach Activision". I know about the Skylanders, but thinking about it, that was only because Amiibo were more successful than either of them expected.

Ugh, why do these things have to be so complicated?
I dunno, it feels like in this case, if it's in the wings, Activision could purposely make sure Crash's Smash arrival occurs during his birthday.

I mean, besides On the Run, we've yet to see anything else big that punctuates his 25th birthday (the Crash 4 ports don't count), and we're past the end of the first quarter. Just a bunch of merchandise.
Hopefully, that wasn't just PR talk. You never know these days...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought that if the Crash in Smash thing from that 5 year plan was true, Activision themselves would have approached Nintendo about it?
That does seem possible, though I figure that it would be long-term planning (seemingly being aware of pass 2 allegedly being the finish line, so not taking any chances).

Either way you slice it, a number of noteworthy Crash news have certainly tended to coincide with that of Ultimate ones (like N. Sane Trilogy's Switch port being advertised on the Direct that revealed Ultimate itself, Min Min being announced on the very day Crash 4 was officially unveiled, and Joker and Nitro-Fueled being at the Game Awards).

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, what are the odds of Crash happening as Smash DLC at all? The lack of leaks and insiders saying anything worries me.
A little late to this, but I guess I'll just remind you to check out The List I made. I update it everytime new stuff pops up that could bode well for Crash's chances, so I highly recommend checking it out from time to time.
As for my personal thoughts, I think Crash is likely, all things considered, and I think he is one of, if not, the most likely character for E3. If Crash doesn't happen at E3, then I do think he will become increasingly less likely, but I do think he's at least possible to still happen after E3.

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I haven't followed the "5 Year Plan" document thay closely, But what's the earliest it has been leaked?

Could of sworn it was probably as early as 2019.

Seeing how Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy was announced in 2016 and released in 2017 and seeing how it's gonna be 5 years later and on the 25th anniversary of the franchise gives me some hope.

Yes, I know annversaries don't mean ****, But still.
The plan was actually first mentioned in 2018.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yeah, I'm sure that Crash Plan is real since it was being covered a few years ago, but I'm suspicious of the "Crash for Smash in 2021" part that people keep brining up as being part of it. We actually need to SEE a copy of the plan for me to starting thinking about that part being real.
If we're sure that the plan itself is real I think it bodes well for us regardless if we know exactly what it says.

The fact that Activision cares about bringing Crash back into the spotlight is promising in itself, and I can almost guarantee that getting him in Smash crossed their minds. It's such an excellent way to promote the character and they have a decent relationship with Nintendo, so I would be extremely surprised if a deal was not at least ATTEMPTED. The real question for me is whether they were able to come to an agreement to get Crash in the game.
I'll say this. Smash is never going to be this good again once it's over.
No kidding. Which is why I'll be pretty sad if Crash doesn't make it in this game...

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
rfarleydude97 rfarleydude97 mentioned it above, but yeah, the 5 Year Plan was rumored as early as 2018. https://www.destructoid.com/stories...-crash-bandicoot-involves-switch-486327.phtml

That particular article and the source it comes from just mentions an extended plan, the first post I saw that actually lists out the estimated games and products (the one that mentions Crash coming to Smash in 2021) was in 2020, https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak.../5year_plan_for_crash_bandioot_from_20172021/. It appears to be banking off the same 5 year plan, but without any real details connecting the two, the second one could just be using the first as a springboard and be made up to include Smash. (Crash on the Run could be the 2021 game, for example.)

I'm still of the opinion that Crash has the best chances of any character, but nothing so favorable where I would be surprised if he didn't make it in. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he did though.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm all for more characters but waiting is so hard sometimes, haha. I almost wish they just announced the entire pass contents at the beginning, not because I have any doubts I'd buy it since I buy anything that has the word Smash Brothers in it, but rather because the unknown and unpredictable release schedule can be tricky to know when to expect something. It is better now that it's on a 2/3 month schedule again though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like it's worth mentioning that I started a thread for SmashBoards making a hypothetical PlayStation All Stars 2 (and yes, I feel partially responsible for the spread of those threads as of late), and one of the ongoing jobs (for the next day or so) is putting together a moveset for Crash Bandicoot. I might be able to put one together if need be, but I figured this thread would be better-informed on the subject if anyone wanted to participate. (we'd vote on which moves/Supers would be included, and it doesn't have to be an in-depth listing - I have examples here for how it could be simplified)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, one thing to keep in mind is that this year, Summer Game Fest is airing on the same month as E3 (which is a bit of a suicidal move, considering).

Whether Activision's next big announcement shows up there or in E3, it's hard to tell right now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So besides Crash, who else do y'all think is very likely to take the another slot? I'm still putting stock on a Bandai-Namco newcomer of some kind like a Tales Of rep or a Soul Calibur rep. Plus Bandai-Namco only has one character so far and that's Pac-Man who got into Smash 4. Bandai-Namco has yet to receive a newcomer in Ultimate which I find kind of weird.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
So besides Crash, who else do y'all think is very likely to take the another slot? I'm still putting stock on a Bandai-Namco newcomer of some kind like a Tales Of rep or a Soul Calibur rep. Plus Bandai-Namco only has one character so far and that's Pac-Man who got into Smash 4. Bandai-Namco has yet to receive a newcomer in Ultimate which I find kind of weird.
Another JRPG character, or someone like Ryu Hayabusa.
mostwaanteds.png

Attachments

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I would hope Klonoa would be that Bandai Namco rep, but... he ain't happening.

Anyway, if we STILL don't have Dragalia Lost content by the time we're speculating F11, then I'm going ALL IN on Euden.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
If we get another Bandai-Namco character, I hope it's a Soul Calibur rep like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare. Smash is still kind of lacking in fighting game reps.
For me, either Klonoa or Agumon. I don't have much experience with BAMCO games besides like DIGIMON, Klonoa, and a few PAC-MAN games. With Klonoa, honestly, my dreamy friend would be lucky to even be featured in a spirit event, sadly. But with Agumon, I'd say he has a fair chance! Haven't checked, but guessing DIGIMON is fairly popular and successful in Japan due to the countless anime's it has. The only possible things I could think going against his chances is Nintendo still being sour about the former rivalry in the 90's (which is super unlikely but maybe, i'm not a billion dollar company) or another BAMCO rep like Lloyd.

also crash'd be pretty cool

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
It's hard to saw which companies will or won't get a another rep, but I think I'm with you in that Bandai-Namco is the most likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tales character. I would like a Soul Calibur character but I'm not a huge Nightmare fan, I just don't think they'd pick Kilik, Sophitia, etc, instead of Nightmare. He could be cool though with a big ass Soul Edge and demon powers. I'd love the most to see Taiko no Tatsujin / Don-chan, and given that he's been a Mario Kart character before, I see it as possible. Especially since there's so many of the games in Japan and even recent ones get released overseas. Other neat picks would be Klonoa, a digimon (probably Agumon, digivolve mechanics would be cool!), or the character from Dig Dug =P

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
If we get another Bandai-Namco character, I hope it's a Soul Calibur rep like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare. Smash is still kind of lacking in fighting game reps.
Well, I'm still predicting Lloyd for one of the last 2 slots alongside Crash. But if it winds up being a Soulcalibur character? I'm pulling for Sophitia since she's my favorite character from those games 😍

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I think my problem seeing anything but Lloyd from Namco, it's because we have to consider Nintendo is the one approaching companies for the characters, not the other way around…Bamco I could believe suggesting other series, but Nintendo? Pretty sure they are more familiar with the Tales games and they know Lloyd is more known to nintendo players after having 2 ToS games and a few ports through time… Anyway that's just me, I don't really expect Nintendo approaching Bamco for something else, altho it's not impossible of course, it just would be… a weird curve ball I guess lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Still thinking a first-party character featured in a recent production will be sneaked in somehow. King Boo, Ayumi, someone from Off the Hook, anybody's guess.
If we are getting a bonus DLC rep at the very end, I could see it being a Nintendo rep of some kind like someone really popular like Waluigi or a Retro rep like Ayumi Tachibana.

I think my problem seeing anything but Lloyd from Namco, it's because we have to consider Nintendo is the one approaching companies for the characters, not the other way around…Bamco I could believe suggesting other series, but Nintendo? Pretty sure they are more familiar with the Tales games and they know Lloyd is more known to nintendo players after having 2 ToS games and a few ports through time… Anyway that's just me, I don't really expect Nintendo approaching Bamco for something else, altho it's not impossible of course, it just would be… a weird curve ball I guess lol
Well, Nintendo did allow Link to be invited to Soul Calibur 2 so I think they might return the favor someday by adding a Soul Calibur rep like Nightmare in Smash one day.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If we are getting a bonus DLC rep at the very end, I could see it being a Nintendo rep of some kind like someone really popular like Waluigi or a Retro rep like Ayumi Tachibana.

Well, Nintendo did allow Link to be invited to Soul Calibur 2 so I think they might return the favor someday by adding a Soul Calibur rep like Nightmare in Smash one day.
Well yeah Nintendo allowed Bamco for Link to be there. But I'm not doubting Soul Calibur's chances of getting in Smash. What I'm doubting is what Nintendo would approach Bamco to ask for getting in Smash, based on what has been more on the platform from that company. But yeah it could always go any way in the end, there's really no way to know for sure.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm predicting Crash and Arle, plus Waluigi if that extra slot does come true. I was just thinking earlier that while I don't think we will get a double reveal, if it does happen I'd hope they would reveal Arle first and then Crash to end the game off with a bang (This is the only timeline that I see the game ending on a high note btw).

For Bamco, I would love either Agumon, Nightmare, or Klonoa, and heck I've been getting into Tales of too. They just have so many great candidates that they could make their own all-star fighting game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
My gut says 1 big third party at E3 and one smaller one after. My current guesses are Crash for the former and Rean Schwarzer for the latter. In terms of the bonus slot if that exists, who knows.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
No matter how this roster ends, the biggest flame war in the Smash community's history is going to begin once they announced the last newcomer in Ultimate. And no matter who that last character is popular or not will bring a lot of salt with them for people who didn't wanted the character.
Yeah, pretty much. No matter who the last character in the roster is, at least one person will dislike it. Not even Crash can prevent that, sadly.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah, pretty much. No matter who the last character in the roster is, at least one person will dislike it. Not even Crash can prevent that, sadly.
Crash would probably cause the least amount of backlash if he's revealed as the last character. He's been highly, and I do mean HIGHLY, requested for a few years now, and he's a popular character not just in the Western areas, but in Japan too. At least in this scenario, the DLC could end with someone a ton of people want.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
flame wars
ever affecting much of anything
Pardon my French, but

So what if people get mad? They'll just simmer down, and forget about it in a few years until the next Smash pops up during the next console cycle, it's not like they'll actually be able to kill anyone in their frustration or anything. When the cycle ends, I'll just leave since there'll be nothing to talk about.

Just ask :ultsonic: fans.

That said, I wouldn't expect Crash as anything but the very next character, if we're lucky.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
With it seemingly more and more likely the remaining 2 fighters of the pass will be revealed at E3, most likely it'll follow a similar pattern to E3 2019: picks that have major fan appeal and one not quite as big.
I've said it before but if it's this route I can see Crash and Yuri Lowell.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see Phoenix Wright myself. Being a last surprise fighter could definitely fit him if that turns out to be true, and Monster Hunter was probably his biggest competition and that's pretty much out of the running now. The biggest problem is, even minus Monster Hunter, Capcom still has a lot of other solid contenders for Smash.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While you can't please everyone and every character has it's share of haters, I still think Crash Bandicoot will be well recieved amongst the majority of the Smash fanbase because he's just an all around good pick.

That being said as long as he makes it in it doesn't matter and while I would expect him to be at E3, But there's a small part of me that hopes he's the last DLC character before they close up shop, So I can hear people ***** about him and say why their most wanted didn't make it in because Crash stole the last spot.

I'm a pretty humble person, But I'd be lying if didn't wanna see some chaos and laugh and feed off of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom