• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I certainly agree that Smash speculation has been boring since the mods shut down the Geno thread as the Geno gang knew how to brew a discussion even during the most boring of times like now. While I was invited to the Star Road Discord, I haven't decided to join yet since I don't know if I'll ever jump on Discord. A lot of the guys that use to hang in the Geno thread are currently at the Star Road Discord and if you want to be invited, I would suggest asking @Malo Mart, @OffBi, @Franco Geno, @Plank08 or @GodzillaGuy64 since any of them would be more than happy to give you a invitation to Star Road.
I'm already in the Discord, and even then most of the time we don't really speculate as much as we do just talk about random things [not that I don't enjoy that, but it definitely speaks volumes about just how boring Smash speculation has become].

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I'm honestly trying to really reduce my expectations currently. I've been feeling like Crash is a lock recently, and I believe it's becoming dangerous thinking. I'll appreciate anyone who gets in at this point. We have so many icons already, and we can't have them all. This way I can't be TOO disappointed.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm honestly trying to really reduce my expectations currently. I've been feeling like Crash is a lock recently, and I believe it's becoming dangerous thinking. I'll appreciate anyone who gets in at this point. We have so many icons already, and we can't have them all. This way I can't be TOO disappointed.
Me personally while I'm trying to keep my expectations low and while I really don't follow leaks, I feel like there is a lot of smoke out there regarding Crash Bandicoot that one of them has and hopefully gotta be true.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If they do put Crash in Smash, I hope they use his It's About Time design.

I was never really a fan of the N.Sane Trilogy design.
I don't think they would use the About Time look to be honest. Going by how negotiations concluded by January of last year, the most recent models/designs they could easily use were the N.Sane Trilogy/Nitro Fueled designs of the Crash cast

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If they do put Crash in Smash, I hope they use his It's About Time design.

I was never really a fan of the N.Sane Trilogy design.
What's funny is that N.Sane Trilogy design was very well received (Still is), But man once they unveiled "It's About Time" design in action, It really made me realize how much of an upgrade it was, "N.Sane's" art style try to lean a little more on the realistic side that did make some characters especially with fur look a little off, But I really love the direction they took with Crash 4 making it very cartoony, wacky and expressive, it's honestly hands down the best Crash Bandicoot has ever looked.

Art style rating

"N.Sane Trilogy" 8/10
crash_bandicoot_n_sane_trilogy_render__1_crash_by_mrinkdemonyt_dd6o177-fullview.png

"It's About Time" 10/10
efy2hxbxgaatmp-.png

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I don't think they would use the About Time look to be honest. Going by how negotiations concluded by January of last year, the most recent models/designs they could easily use were the N.Sane Trilogy/Nitro Fueled designs of the Crash cast
Crash 4 began development in 2017, so I don't think the timing hinders the chances of the crash 4 design to be chosen.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yo this just came to my mind.... What if the next DLC reveal is a DOUBLE REVEAL? we didn't have one of those in a long time.
Do you mean two trailers at one event, or two reveals in a single trailer?

If it's two reveals in a single trailer, I don't know how likely that is - the only times that I can think of where we've had those (Robin and Lucina, technically Palutena and Dark Pit, Simon and Richter, Ken and Incineroar), an Echo fighter was involved. Unless we're getting a bonus echo fighter as part of one of the challenger packs (like, for example, Crash and Coco, where they fight the same but Coco has different hitboxes so she can't be an alternate costume), I don't think that will happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do you mean two trailers at one event, or two reveals in a single trailer?

If it's two reveals in a single trailer, I don't know how likely that is - the only times that I can think of where we've had those (Robin and Lucina, technically Palutena and Dark Pit, Simon and Richter, Ken and Incineroar), an Echo fighter was involved. Unless we're getting a bonus echo fighter as part of one of the challenger packs (like, for example, Crash and Coco, where they fight the same but Coco has different hitboxes so she can't be an alternate costume), I don't think that will happen.
Steve’s trailer gave Alex, Zombie and Enderman separate tag lines. Then again they’re alts, not echoes or separate characters

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yo this just came to my mind.... What if the next DLC reveal is a DOUBLE REVEAL? we didn't have one of those in a long time.
Only if the two characters are from the same franchise or universe which is very unlikely. Like let's say KOS-MOS and a Xenoblade rep are both in the Pass, I could see them getting a double reveal together since they're from the same universe despite not being from the same franchise. Or Crash and Spyro since they would be from the same universe as well. Either scenario though is SUPER UNLIKELY.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Crash 4 began development in 2017, so I don't think the timing hinders the chances of the crash 4 design to be chosen.
That, and you're forgetting that the original trilogy is the most iconic part of Crash Bandicoot. They're going to use his most iconic appearance over a new sequel's art direction

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
That, and you're forgetting that the original trilogy is the most iconic part of Crash Bandicoot. They're going to use his most iconic appearance over a new sequel's art direction
Personally I hope it is a Yoshi situation where they let you use both. Still, I don't really think the new design is particularly more likely than the N. Sane design, just that the timing of things would not really influence the decision since Crash 4 has been in development since 2017.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hmm...I just had a thought: what if Crash came with a Sephiroth Challenge-style event? Here's the idea: the Crash Gauntlet is a series of three difficult platforming levels in the style of the sidescrolling levels of the Crash games like the Great Gate or Piston It Away. Reach the end of each of the levels, and you'll be given a chance to fight Crash himself as a boss. Defeating him will unlock Crash, the stage he comes with (Most likely N. Sanity Island), and the music that can be played there. How's that sound? Seems possible within the confines of Smash, right?

Some AT-AT

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...I just had a thought: what if Crash came with a Sephiroth Challenge-style event? Here's the idea: the Crash Gauntlet is a series of three difficult platforming levels in the style of the sidescrolling levels of the Crash games like the Great Gate or Piston It Away. Reach the end of each of the levels, and you'll be given a chance to fight Crash himself as a boss. Defeating him will unlock Crash, the stage he comes with (Most likely N. Sanity Island), and the music that can be played there. How's that sound? Seems possible within the confines of Smash, right?
I'd be down for that!

MattX20

Smash Hero
As cool as that sounds, it's unfortunately not likely given how little time they have left vs how long it would take sidescrolling levels like that. The closest thing they could do to that with the time they have left are time trials, and I hate the time trials in Crash Warped.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Plot twist, it's just passing the first Boulder Level in Crash 1 on the PS1.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I was thinking more along the lines of something called "The Gem Challenge"; each "Gem" you earn has you play only as Crash (to get a feel for him) and fight battles against Smash fighters by game. The battles are as follows:
  • Yellow Gem: A battle against the Original 12 on a 64 stage
  • Purple Gem: A battle against the Melee veterans on a Melee stage
  • Orange Gem: A battle against the Brawl veterans on a Brawl stage
  • Blue Gem: A battle against the Smash 4 veterans on a Smash 4 stage
  • Green Gem: A battle against Ultimate's base newcomers on an Ultimate stage
  • Red Gem: A battle against Crash; winning this battle allows players to use him early

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was thinking more along the lines of something called "The Gem Challenge"; each "Gem" you earn has you play only as Crash (to get a feel for him) and fight battles against Smash fighters by game. The battles are as follows:
  • Yellow Gem: A battle against the Original 12 on a 64 stage
  • Purple Gem: A battle against the Melee veterans on a Melee stage
  • Orange Gem: A battle against the Brawl veterans on a Brawl stage
  • Blue Gem: A battle against the Smash 4 veterans on a Smash 4 stage
  • Green Gem: A battle against Ultimate's base newcomers on an Ultimate stage
  • Red Gem: A battle against Crash; winning this battle allows players to use him early
That is a more plausible concept

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
If we do get Crash, I'd want his classic skin (not the bad one, but his design that's reminiscent of Crash 1-3) and possibly his It's About Time skin. N. Sane probably wouldn't mesh well with the art style given how it's way too furry.

RANT: I hate how we just stopped doin those asymmetrical and weird designs compared to today's characters. Everything's too clean and boiled over across marketing tables for my taste. Like peak PS1 design is Crash and they just boot him him to the curb with "classic" skins that are just a bunch of high quality polygons while forgetting his cool misshapen eyes.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Personally I hope it is a Yoshi situation where they let you use both. Still, I don't really think the new design is particularly more likely than the N. Sane design, just that the timing of things would not really influence the decision since Crash 4 has been in development since 2017.
I really hope that if Crash Bandicoot was chosen for Smash, Then Activision provided Nintendo with the assets and 3D model from "It's About Time" well ahead of time during it's development period to promote the Switch port, But I can also see a case of it being a little too late from development stand point, But Regardless of what Crash Bandicoot joins it's likely gonna mostly represent the franchise as a whole in general.

At the end of the day as long Crash Bandicoot makes into Smash then I guess that's all that really matters.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I want to put this brainwave I just had into paper before I go to bed.

Crash's taunts should revolve around the Crash Dance, but in a special way.
Up Taunt is the first part, where he spreads his arms and shuffles in either direction
Down Taunt is the second part, a pair of crotch chops in either direction
Side Taunt is the third part, where Crash moonwalks in place while pelvic thrusting.

Here's the cool part: if you buffer an up taunt to down taunt to side taunt, not only will Crash's dance be animated seamlessly, but buffering a fourth consecutive taunt will trigger the last part of the dance where he turns around in a wide legged shuffle.
If you let this fourth taunt play out, your reward is a disproportionately strong shockwave accompanying the final flourish, which can KO very early. Such is the power of the Crash Dance.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just wanted to let people know that Liam Robertson released the updated version of that Crash video on his Patreon:

I don't actually USE Patreon, so I can't watch the video. Though considering the image in the tweet (though he didn't make that himself) and the fact the video is called "The Truth About Crash & Spyro in 2021", we might want to be careful with expectations.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just wanted to let people know that Liam Robertson released the updated version of that Crash video on his Patreon:

I don't actually USE Patreon, so I can't watch the video. Though considering the image in the tweet (though he didn't make that himself) and the fact the video is called "The Truth About Crash & Spyro in 2021", we might want to be careful with expectations.
I mean, given his videos I think it just means he is doing a deep dive into Crash. He did it for Project Hammer and Scalebound iirc. Him also not making the image means that I don’t think we need to ring the alarm bells just yet. Let’s see where the chips land with Crash this year.

The other thing I’ll note is his Activision credentials is just skylanders ending. If we start hearing more Activision leakers and more leakers within the community talk about this I would be more concerned.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
So apparently the Crash franchise will be 25 years old this year. I wonder what they could do for this special occasion. Maybe a remake of Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity perhaps?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So apparently the Crash franchise will be 25 years old this year. I wonder what they could do for this special occasion. Maybe a remake of Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity perhaps?
I honestly doubt it, "It's About Time" pretty much replaced "Wrath of Cortex" and that game and "Twinsanity" weren't as successful or memorable compared to Crash 1-3 and CTR.

- Crash 4 just barely came out back in October with a Switch port likely sometime this year, "Toys for Bob" is likely underway on another project (Spyro 4?)

- Vicarious Visions also finished up Tony Hawk 1/2 Remastered back in the Fall and unfortunately got absorbed into Blizzard.

- Beenox seems to be more of a support studio, But sometimes are tasked with developing a remaster, If available it's possible, But I really doubt it.

All I see is Crash Bandicoot getting the Switch port of "It's About Time" and maybe PS5/XSX versions of games, Update on something mobile related like "Crash on the Run" and maybe a nod or video celebrating the 25th anniversary of the franchise, But that's it really.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Forgot to mention this a while back, but I played through all the levels of the N. Sane Trilogy.

Crash 1: So first of all SCREW THOSE BRIDGE LEVELS. Second of all, the game is definitely a charming platformer and really gave me an idea of what to expect later on in the trilogy.
Crash 2: Honestly one of the most fun of the bunch IMO. The gameplay was overall similar to Crash 1, but the added techniques like Sliding really helped with the difficulty. The most difficult out of the bunch, too. Bee levels pissed me off greatly.
Crash 3: The most diverse when it comes to gameplay styles. It's still majorly platforming but I can admire the fact Naughty Dog wanted to try some new stuff when making the original Warped. Hated the motorbike levels, though.

Overall, an understandably praiseworthy and challenging experience. Can't wait to play Crash 4 in the future.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Been a long time since I last popped up here, but I have been thinking about some possible spirits if Crash does make the playable cut.
  • Crash Bandicoot - Fighter
  • Aku Aku - Novice
  • Coco Bandicoot - Ace
  • Papu Papu - Novice
  • Ripper Roo - Novice
  • Pinstripe Potoroo - Advanced
  • Nitrus Brio - Advanced
  • Tiny Tiger - Advanced
  • Dingodile - Advanced
  • N. Gin - Advanced
  • Nefarious Tropy - Ace
  • Neo Cortex - Ace
  • Fake Crash - Ace
  • Nitros Oxide - Ace
  • Real Velo - Advanced - Can be enhanced into Emperor Velo XXVII
  • Emperor Velo XXVII - Legend - Enhanced from Real Velo
  • Nitro Squad (Tawna, Ami, Megumi, Liz, & Isabella) - Legend

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Been a long time since I last popped up here, but I have been thinking about some possible spirits if Crash does make the playable cut.
  • Crash Bandicoot - Fighter
  • Aku Aku - Novice
  • Coco Bandicoot - Ace
  • Papu Papu - Novice
  • Ripper Roo - Novice
  • Pinstripe Potoroo - Advanced
  • Nitrus Brio - Advanced
  • Tiny Tiger - Advanced
  • Dingodile - Advanced
  • N. Gin - Advanced
  • Nefarious Tropy - Ace
  • Neo Cortex - Ace
  • Fake Crash - Ace
  • Nitros Oxide - Ace
  • Real Velo - Advanced - Can be enhanced into Emperor Velo XXVII
  • Emperor Velo XXVII - Legend - Enhanced from Real Velo
  • Nitro Squad (Tawna, Ami, Megumi, Liz, & Isabella) - Legend
My only problem with this board is Aku Aku being a Novice when, in my opinion, he should be a Legend.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My only problem with this board is Aku Aku being a Novice when, in my opinion, he should be a Legend.
Well, if Aku Aku is a support spirit, his class will likely be based on the ability he offers.

Take Dingodile for instance. Although I categorized him as an Advanced class spirit, he would have to be demoted to the Novice class if he's a support spirit that offers the Fire & Explosion Attack ↑ ability; an ability that would make perfect sense on a character who uses a flamethrower that can explode.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
To add more fuel to the Crash speculation fire, our favorite Canadian seems to be teasing some sort of Crash announcement coming soon, as he has yet again tweeted the zipped-mouth emoji, which he usually tweets whenever he does hear of something.

As for what he's teasing specifically, my heart says Crash in Smash, but I think its more likely he's teasing the rumored Crash Wumpa League game.

Top Bottom