• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
The logic in that article is worse than flawed: it's picking straws that don't exist! In what world would the less iconic but equally nefarious (wink), Tropy get in Smash before...idk, any of the Bandicoots, Cortex, N. Brio, N. Gin.....like, N. Tropy wouldn't be top 5 picks, at best top 10.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Got bored so I made a tin foil hat theory.

Okay, you know how there is always these dumb fan made rules that get broken when certain characters get in? (Like with Joker, Banjo, Min-Min, Sephiroth, etc.)
Let's say Crash Bandicoot is one of the next DLC characters, let's say #10. And his reveal is in June at the beginning of some kind of Nintendo Direct-like presentation. He's revealed in a trailer and then we go through the entire presentation of new game announcements and such after a drought of Nintendo info. At the end (kinda like E3 2019) there is another Smash trailer. But it shows some of the same exact parts of the Crash reveal trailer, everyone's confused but at the end something is different. Flames come out of nowhere and Crash is sent off screen in a CGI style, and out of the darkness where the flames were spewed it reveals Spyro and his splash screen as #11.
It would be pretty crazy, because no 3rd party company has gotten two unique characters back to back. And the whole Spyro is a nobody in Japan thing because of the crappy porting they did with his games over there, i'd be hilarious. Of course I don't realistically expect this to happen, especially since even Crash himself isn't even a guarantee. But it was fun to write.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Pretty interesting read.
In spite of the ANGERY vibes I get from this tweet line, it is rather interesting to read.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Got bored so I made a tin foil hat theory.

Okay, you know how there is always these dumb fan made rules that get broken when certain characters get in? (Like with Joker, Banjo, Min-Min, Sephiroth, etc.)
Let's say Crash Bandicoot is one of the next DLC characters, let's say #10. And his reveal is in June at the beginning of some kind of Nintendo Direct-like presentation. He's revealed in a trailer and then we go through the entire presentation of new game announcements and such after a drought of Nintendo info. At the end (kinda like E3 2019) there is another Smash trailer. But it shows some of the same exact parts of the Crash reveal trailer, everyone's confused but at the end something is different. Flames come out of nowhere and Crash is sent off screen in a CGI style, and out of the darkness where the flames were spewed it reveals Spyro and his splash screen as #11.
It would be pretty crazy, because no 3rd party company has gotten two unique characters back to back. And the whole Spyro is a nobody in Japan thing because of the crappy porting they did with his games over there, i'd be hilarious. Of course I don't realistically expect this to happen, especially since even Crash himself isn't even a guarantee. But it was fun to write.
I would be so hyped if Spyro were to be announced alongside Crash since I want Spyro more than Crash. But as unlikely as it is, I would be so up for that.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I tried to make an attempt at not just a Crash moveset, but also a Crash Classic Mode, too.

Jab/F-tilt/N-air: His signature spin attack. A move-and-strike technique that is similar to Mega Man and Steve. While it doesn’t deal much damage, it can be mashed and has immense kill power, but overuse (i.e. Using this 5 times in quick succession) will invoke a "slow-stop" animation where Crash attempts to maintain balance.
Dash attack: Crash tumbles face-first onto the ground, ramming his head into all enemies in front of himself.
U-tilt: Crash jumps up with a clenched fist and shouts, “YEE-HAH!”, striking anybody in his way. Based on his victory animation after defeating a boss in the original Crash 1.
D-tilt: Crash performs his Slide Attack.
Side Smash: Crash lifts a normal wooden crate, winds up, and throws it in front of himself, much like in the Battle Mode in Crash Bash. If standing near a dropped crate, Crash will throw that crate instead.
Up Smash: Crash lifts an Arrow Crate and throws it upwards, dealing very little damage for a Smash attack, but causing extra knockback on hit.
Down Smash: Crash winds up both his fists much like Sonic’s Side Smash, then smashes both of them into the ground on both sides, much like Donkey Kong’s DSmash.
Grab: Crash spins in place with open hands, much like in Crash Twinsanity. This is the only grab that reaches both sides. For his pummel, he’ll
F-throw: Crash spins the opponent in his grip and throws it forwards, slightly similar to that of Crash Twinsanity.
B-throw: Crash whizzes behind the opponent and does a two-handed push behind them, much like how he pushes Cortex before some snowboard levels in Crash Twinsanity.
D-throw: Crash lifts the opponent and tosses them to the floor, causing them to splat cartoonishly before bouncing off the ground.
U-throw: Crash throws an opponent on top of a Nitro Crate and causes it to explode, creating a large explosion that launches the opponent upwards.
F-air: Crash performs a stretching drop-kick similar to one of the attacks he does in Crash of the Titans.
D-air: Crash plummets downwards with a Body Slam, meteor smashing anyone beneath himself. If striking the ground, he will create an impact that can damage all nearby enemies.
B-air: Crash performs a split-kick similar to what he does in his crouch-jump.
U-air: Crash throws an Arrow Crate above himself and kicks it upwards, propelling it upwards and breaking on contact.
Neutral B: Fruit Bazooka: By tapping B, Crash arms himself with the Fruit Bazooka, and enters a state where he can aim, much like Inkling’s Splattershot. Unlike Inkling, however, Crash can only fire by tapping B and has a limited amount of Wumpa Fruits he can fire. He can cancel out this move by jumping, dodging, or shielding.
Side B: Polar Prance: Crash hops onto Polar, the polar bear friend he has had since Crash 2, who begins running forwards like Wario’s Bike or Steve’s Minecart. The thing that stands out compared to Wario and Steve is the fact that Polar can jump while active, allowing for some amazing evasion tactics. Attempting to double jump with Polar results in Crash hopping off of the little polar bear.
Up B: Jet Pack: The back-mounted propulsion system from Crash 2 serves as a similar recovery to R.O.B.’s Up-B, however, he can still use his Spin Attack while propelling upwards.
Down B: Crate Drop: Much like Steve, Crash can place Crates down on-stage. Unlike Steve’s blocks, they do not degrade over time, and have different properties based on which Crate is dropped, which can be one of the following in a Monado Wheel-style menu:
  • Basic Crate: A simple wooden crate. Breaking this crate drops Wumpa Fruits that can be used to replenish Fruit Bazooka.
  • Iron Crate: A stronger crate that is indestructible. Only one of these can be out at a time and will disappear after 10 seconds.
  • TNT Crate: A timed-explosive crate that will detonate after 3 seconds, essentially being a weaker version of Steve’s TNT.
  • Nitro Crate: An instant-explosive crate. Striking this crate in any way shape or form will instantly detonate it, being more powerful than the TNT Crate.
Final Smash: Aku Aku TNT Run: Crash dons Aku Aku and bolts forwards. Any opponents in range will trigger a cutscene: all opponents land on a jungle environment surrounded by Nitro Crates. Far away is the Aku Aku-toting Crash Bandicoot, who smashes through a TNT Crate that explodes after counting down from 3 and explodes, causing a chain-reaction of explosions that are close behind the still-running Crash. Crash then smashes through the caught opponents before the explosions catch up to them, blasting them in a manner similar to House of Boom.

Round 1: :ultjoker: - Mementos: Kicking off this classic mode is none other than the first-ever DLC fighter is part of another character's Classic Mode. Revelations: Persona, a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei, made its debut on the PS1, being a PlayStation mainstay for the past two decades.
Round 2: :ultrichter: - Dracula's Castle: While he debuted in Rondo of Blood, which was for the TurboGrafx-16, Richter's appearance in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was the most well-known appearance of the Belmont.
Round 3: :ultcloud: - Midgar: Final Fantasy VII was no doubt the most successful PS1 game in the market.
Round 4: :ultsnake: - Shadow Moses Island: Metal Gear Solid made its debut on PlayStation.
Bonus Round
Round 5:
Rathalos Boss Fight: Transitioning to the PS2 era, we have Monster Hunter, a Capcom franchise well known to this day that made its debut on this platform.
Round 6: :ulthero2: - Yggdrasil's Altar: Our 2ND DLC fighter in this Classic Mode. One of the most well-known 3D entries to Dragon Quest long before 11, Dragon Quest VIII was known as a major high point in the series, making its debut on the PlayStation 2.
Final Round: A battle against Crazy Hand, as well as a yellow Dr. Mario with a Ray Gun, that takes place on N. Sanity Island Omega. What makes this eye-popping is that Master Hand is on your side for once, and not serving as a boss against you. This very loosely represents the final battle in Crash 3.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Pretty interesting read.
Cool read, would love to have more concrete math once the actual sales estimates of Crash 4 are released, but their points make a ton of sense.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
The fact that there are people who think Crash is doomed because a new entry, that wasn't (and still isn't) on every platform as of today, is hilarious. Also comparing a remake of classics that are already known to be beloved to a new entry that could easily be hated is odd. Though, I kind of feel like 4's sales would've been slightly better if it were on PC and Switch around a similar timeframe to launch day. Plenty of people that aren't major fans might have already forgotten / not care to get it if it releases real late into this year.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact that there are people who think Crash is doomed because a new entry, that wasn't (and still isn't) on every platform as of today, is hilarious. Also comparing a remake of classics that are already known to be beloved to a new entry that could easily be hated is odd. Though, I kind of feel like 4's sales would've been slightly better if it were on PC and Switch around a similar timeframe to launch day. Plenty of people that aren't major fans might have already forgotten / not care to get it if it releases real late into this year.
That logic has also been used against Hayabusa, and it's laughable.

MattX20

Smash Hero

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Well, Jess likely wouldn't be told if Crash got in by Activision.
There's nothing to worry about here I think. I doubt he would've said "No comment" to a question like this. Plus, Crash has plenty of voice clips to choose from already, so it's not like they would need to get him to do more "lines".

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While it's cool to see one of the voice actors behind Crash Bandicoot want to see him in Smash, Especially the one who also voices "Wakko" from "Animaniacs", I think it was brought up by someone here before as that video is from 2019, Again cool to see, But nothing new.

I can't seem to find it, But there's also a video somewhere where developers from Activision or Vicarious Visions were asked during a live stream of N.Sane Trilogy or Nitro Fueled if they wanted to see Crash in Smash and they were also cool with it too.

I just wish like with Banjo-Kazooie with Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox Division) there was an Activision executive or CEO of the company that would vocally push for Crash Bandicoot to join Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Some AT-AT

Smash Apprentice
Still odd to think that Crash has VAs at all.

I mean, he has to logically but he so rarely speaks I just never realised that a person has to make those noises. Same way it stagers my defective mind that Link has had multiple VAs.
Imagine if the only voice lines you had to say in a game was WOAH!, PANCAKES!, and like five other random noises

D

Deleted member

While it's cool to see one of the voice actors behind Crash Bandicoot want to see him in Smash, Especially the one who also voices "Wakko" from "Animaniacs", I think it was brought up by someone here before as that video is from 2019, Again cool to see, But nothing new.

I can't seem to find it, But there's also a video somewhere where developers from Activision or Vicarious Visions were asked during a live stream of N.Sane Trilogy or Nitro Fueled if they wanted to see Crash in Smash and they were also cool with it too.

I just wish like with Banjo-Kazooie with Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox Division) there was an Activision executive or CEO of the company that would vocally push for Crash Bandicoot to join Super Smash Bros.
I can't find the video either, but I know it was an Activision rep who said they'd think it'd be amazing to see Crash in Smash during an N. Sane Trilogy stream. That was before Ultimate was officially revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Ran into this one user recently who thought the same.

The game has only been out a for just a few months and it was pretty obvious it wasn't gonna reach ,"N.Sane Trilogy" sales as that game was riding on Nostalgia and a $40 price tag for 3 games vs $60 for 1.

In the long run it should do fine, Am I expecting double digits sales like "N.Sane Trilogy"? No, But I still expect it to do at least a couple/few million at least or several at best. Which is still pretty impressive considering most platformers not named Mario/Nintendo don't reach those levels, Not to mention it's very likely to get ported to the Switch which Crash does well on Nintendo consoles and demographic which should boost sales.

While Call of Duty is still Activision's biggest franchise, It has rebuilt Crash Bandicoot as one of it's flagships and likely still have plans for the series going forward, If they didn't then they wouldn't have wasted all this time and resources trying to revive Crash in the 1st place.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ran into this one user recently who thought the same.

The game has only been out a for just a few months and it was pretty obvious it wasn't gonna reach ,"N.Sane Trilogy" sales as that game was riding on Nostalgia and a $40 price tag for 3 games vs $60 for 1.

In the long run it should do fine, Am I expecting double digits sales like "N.Sane Trilogy"? No, But I still expect it to do at least a couple/few million at least or several at best. Which is still pretty impressive considering most platformers not named Mario/Nintendo don't reach those levels, Not to mention it's very likely to get ported to the Switch which Crash does well on Nintendo consoles and demographic which should boost sales.

While Call of Duty is still Activision's biggest franchise, It has rebuilt Crash Bandicoot as one of it's flagships and likely still have plans for the series going forward, If they didn't then they wouldn't have wasted all this time and resources trying to revive Crash in the 1st place.
Plus, Crash is such a big name in the gaming industry that trying to trash it/destroy it will do far and away more harm than good to Activision in the long run

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Its almost been a week since I have really posted here, but I honestly apologize for that. I just really need to get something off my chest here. If I'm being honest, Smash speculation has been really boring ever since Geno was revealed as a Mii Outfit. As such, I have almost little to no motivation to speculate or even play the game, and as much as I equally want Crash, I am so afraid of getting overhyped and being overly disappointed like I was when Sephiroth literally slashed Geno's chances in half. And honestly, its kinda sad that Smash mods like Project: Akaneia and Smash Remix are getting me more hyped then the actual Smash itself. I'm in no way trying to be entitled, but this is how I genuinely feel.

Crash really would be that one character that would make me hype again, so I am really pushing for him now more then ever. I haven't even played Smash in like weeks which is probably the longest amount of time I have gone without playing the game. Maybe I'm just losing interest, but who knows.
However, I don't want this post to be too overly negative. I still am eager to see the remaining fighters, and I still think Crash is among the most likely as of right now (just refer to the List), but I really can't help but feel this way, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people, especially my fellow Genobros, can really relate to this.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Its almost been a week since I have really posted here, but I honestly apologize for that. I just really need to get something off my chest here. If I'm being honest, Smash speculation has been really boring ever since Geno was revealed as a Mii Outfit. As such, I have almost little to no motivation to speculate or even play the game, and as much as I equally want Crash, I am so afraid of getting overhyped and being overly disappointed like I was when Sephiroth literally slashed Geno's chances in half. And honestly, its kinda sad that Smash mods like Project: Akaneia and Smash Remix are getting me more hyped then the actual Smash itself. I'm in no way trying to be entitled, but this is how I genuinely feel.

Crash really would be that one character that would make me hype again, so I am really pushing for him now more then ever. I haven't even played Smash in like weeks which is probably the longest amount of time I have gone without playing the game. Maybe I'm just losing interest, but who knows.
However, I don't want this post to be too overly negative. I still am eager to see the remaining fighters, and I still think Crash is among the most likely as of right now (just refer to the List), but I really can't help but feel this way, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people, especially my fellow Genobros, can really relate to this.
It's understandable. We all need breaks from speculation every once in a while

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

For what it's worth, I doubt you're the only one. It feels like not many people are speculating as much.

Then again, we seem to be in another "slow news" phase, so that might have something to do with it. Still, a break is understandable.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Regardless of Spyro not being as popular in Japan, he deserves to get in Smash alongside Crash. Spyro's a gaming icon too.
As much as I'd LOVE Spyro, he's my next most wanted after Crash, mind you, I see him getting a Mii Hat and a Spirit battle.
Tiny Ridley with Mouthful of Curry and Impact Run (flame and charge).
If we're extra lucky, he'll be a Legend Spirit, but so far, each series has only gotten one Legend Spirit, and that would likely go to Cortex. But who's to say?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I certainly agree that Smash speculation has been boring since the mods shut down the Geno thread as the Geno gang knew how to brew a discussion even during the most boring of times like now. While I was invited to the Star Road Discord, I haven't decided to join yet since I don't know if I'll ever jump on Discord. A lot of the guys that use to hang in the Geno thread are currently at the Star Road Discord and if you want to be invited, I would suggest asking Malo Mart Malo Mart , OffBi OffBi , Franco Geno Franco Geno , Plank08 Plank08 or GodzillaGuy64 GodzillaGuy64 since any of them would be more than happy to give you a invitation to Star Road.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I certainly agree that Smash speculation has been boring since the mods shut down the Geno thread as the Geno gang knew how to brew a discussion even during the most boring of times like now. While I was invited to the Star Road Discord, I haven't decided to join yet since I don't know if I'll ever jump on Discord. A lot of the guys that use to hang in the Geno thread are currently at the Star Road Discord and if you want to be invited, I would suggest asking Malo Mart Malo Mart , OffBi OffBi , Franco Geno Franco Geno , Plank08 Plank08 or GodzillaGuy64 GodzillaGuy64 since any of them would be more than happy to give you a invitation to Star Road.
It would be nice to have speculation return to form in the near future

Top Bottom