• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not exactly. I'm saying we hopefully will get a new Fighter reveal before the 24th. Hero was released July 31st, the ad featuring him got taken down August 4th. Banjo was released September 4th, his ad got taken down September 15th. Steve's announcement date was October 1st, with a preliminary announcement on September 30th, and his ad got taken down on October 4th.
I wish. But I think it's too soon to see FP9 in January as we just got Sephiroth last month. I would put more stock on FP9 being announced or released around the week the next Amiibo wave drops in the end of March since DLC fighters always seem to come out or get announced during the week a Amiibo wave drops.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wish. But I think it's too soon to see FP9 in January as we just got Sephiroth last month. I would put more stock on FP9 being announced or released around the week the next Amiibo wave drops in the end of March since DLC fighters always seem to come out or get announced during the week a Amiibo wave drops.
I kinda think the only exception they’d have to tease FP9 this early is to pull an ARMS and do another guessing game

and Crash would not be criteria for one of those lmao

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I kinda think the only exception they’d have to tease FP9 this early is to pull an ARMS and do another guessing game

and Crash would not be criteria for one of those lmao
So true. Imagine if they put in Coco or Dr. Cortex over Crash lmao! I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
As of right now, anything beyond FP10 seems unlikely since Crash is one of those characters you'd want to be revealed before the end and not the bookend of the pass.
Exactly. If im honest if Crash is not the next fighter i don't think he is in. He already took a blow due to him not being at the Game Awards, but i can still see him as the next fighter.

I don't know all the details, but the "5 year plan thing" came from documents from Activision's servers that were illegally dropped and leaked online. That's all I remember hearing. People were talking about this late last year around Crash 4's release I think.
-5 Year Plan......

....the Steve collaboration took 5 years.............

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm honestly surprised Crash isn't a fighter yet.
Well, that might be because of his western origins since Ultimate is the first Smash game where we have really gotten any true western characters from western 3rd party companies like Banjo & Kazooie and Steve. Negotiating for characters from companies outside of Japan is a little more complicated from what I can imagine since Sakurai likes to approach the actual developers themselves before he puts their characters into Smash. The language barrier and being across overseas makes things a little more complicated which is probably why we haven't gotten a true western rep until Ultimate.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, you could say the same about any other character. A new Sonic rep for example, like Shadow or Eggman. You'd think that one of the biggest gaming franchises of all time, who was once the rival to Nintendo's flagship series, Mario, would have some respetable representation in what is the biggest gaming crossover of all time.

Sorry if this deviates too much from Crash being in Smash, but just thinking about the Sonic representation in Smash makes me sad.

Some AT-AT

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, you could say the same about any other character. A new Sonic rep for example, like Shadow or Eggman. You'd think that one of the biggest gaming franchises of all time, who was once the rival to Nintendo's flagship series, Mario, would have some respetable representation in what is the biggest gaming crossover of all time.

Sorry if this deviates too much from Crash being in Smash, but just thinking about the Sonic representation in Smash makes me sad.
Now that i think about it it's odd that the sonic series does not have a new fighter. I mean remember where we all thought Shadow was going to in SSBU only to be an assist trophy for the 3rd time in a row?

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Now that i think about it it's odd that the sonic series does not have a new fighter. I mean remember where we all thought Shadow was going to in SSBU only to be an assist trophy for the 3rd time in a row?
It wouldn't have been so bad if they just revealed he was an assist trophy when Ultimate was revealed. But no, they had to show Knuckles as an assist trophy and even introduce the concept of echo fighters to get our hopes up.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I don't know. I think its actually very possible we could get E3 this year. I feel like COVID numbers aren't nearly as bad as they were June of last year and I heard that numbers are supposed to drop even more by then. Not to mention the fact that it seems like a lot of major events haven't really been stopped because of COVID, like The Game Awards. My guess is that we will most likely get a digital E3 this year from all companies, but I do think their is a slim possibility we could get the full event, but everyone would need to stay six feet apart.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know. I think its actually very possible we could get E3 this year. I feel like COVID numbers aren't nearly as bad as they were June of last year and I heard that numbers are supposed to drop even more by then. Not to mention the fact that it seems like a lot of major events haven't really been stopped because of COVID, like The Game Awards. My guess is that we will most likely get a digital E3 this year from all companies, but I do think their is a slim possibility we could get the full event, but everyone would need to stay six feet apart.
More like E3 as a digital event to me, because people staying six feet apart would be hard to do.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While I am bias, Crash Bandicoot is probably the one character that would actually shock me if he doesn't make the cut and just like "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" would be the most glaring roster omission when it's all said and done considering how much "Star Power" is left out there and is one of the last few big names left that is built/made for a game like Smash.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
First off, the COVID numbers have been rough and until vaccination rates go up, don't count on things being normal until August at least.

Even then, E3 has been dying for a while. Unlike TGAs, which could function without a huge audience, E3 in its design is built around its audience. It started after all as a trade show, and the growing pains and changing times have left E3 worse for wear. There were murmurs that E3 2020 if it bombed would be the last E3. I think personally E3 should transition hard into becoming a convention of sorts and embrace that angle if it wants to survive.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
First off, the COVID numbers have been rough and until vaccination rates go up, don't count on things being normal until August at least.

Even then, E3 has been dying for a while. Unlike TGAs, which could function without a huge audience, E3 in its design is built around its audience. It started after all as a trade show, and the growing pains and changing times have left E3 worse for wear. There were murmurs that E3 2020 if it bombed would be the last E3. I think personally E3 should transition hard into becoming a convention of sorts and embrace that angle if it wants to survive.
Oh I'm not denying that. I do think COVID is still a thing, but I don't think its as bad as it was last year, at least as of now.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, I got some sad news:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I know Toys For Bob are the ones who made Crash 4, but if it weren't for these guys, Crash probably wouldn't be back at all.
It makes no sense why they decided to merge Vicarious Visions with Blizzard considering the games they worked on, the N. Sane Trilogy and THPS 1+2 Remsatered, were major successes.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It makes no sense why they decided to merge Vicarious Visions with Blizzard considering the games they worked on, the N. Sane Trilogy and THPS 1+2 Remsatered, were major successes.
"Good job making those remakes! Now you can spend the rest of your existance working on Hearthstone and Overwatch skins!"

-Some guy at Activision, I think

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I know Toys For Bob are the ones who made Crash 4, but if it weren't for these guys, Crash probably wouldn't be back at all.
Freaking sucks to hear that seeing how they have a long history with Crash Bandicoot outside of Naughty Dog. While I don't really care about Activision other than Crash and Spyro, I don't have any interest or give a **** at all about about Blizzard and their portfolio, Wished they weren't merged/tied with Activision.

Looks like Toys for Bob and to a lesser extent Beenox are doing the heavy lifting now for both the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon franchises moving forward ,But judging from their work on "It's About Time" and "Reignited Trilogy" their in very good hands.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I just hope they don't focus too much of their attention on Overwatch and other projects besides Crash and Spyro as I would love to see new Crash and Spyro games come out constantly from them just as fast as Nintendo pumps out mainline Mario games.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just hope they don't focus too much of their attention on Overwatch and other projects besides Crash and Spyro as I would love to see new Crash and Spyro games come out constantly from them just as fast as Nintendo pumps out mainline Mario games.
I mean, the whole point of this seems to be having VV work exclusively on Blizzard games. Unless Tracer gets a Crash alt (that's... not a comfortable idea), I fear these guys are done with Crash.

Thankfully, we have Beenox and Toys For Bob to pick up the work. Surely Activision wouldn't move THEM to Blizzard, right?

Right?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just hope Activision gives "Some" of the workers from Vicarious Visions the option to be relocated to Toys for Bob or even Beenox if they want to be part of the Crash Bandicoot/Spyro team to further establish that title.

But seeing how Vicarious Visions is in New York and Toys for Bob is in California I don't know how feasible that is or how many would consider making a change.

Not that it's needed and I'm sure that Toys for Bob is more than capable, But seeing for how long Vicarious Visions has been associated with Crash Bandicoot it would make me feel better if some of the VV employees went to Toys for Bob to continue carrying the torch for the Crash franchise moving forward.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Word on the street due to Warcraft 3 Reforge being such a disaster, Blizzard disbanded their classic team and brought VV on as their new classic team and is currently remaking Diablo 2 due to their work on Tony Hawk and Crash

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that's not too worried about whether or not it affects his chances for Smash? As far as his future prospects is concerned, he'll be fine. I trust in Toys for Bob and Beenox to take good care of the Bandicoot and they have shown that they have with Nitro Fueled and It's About Time, so I have no doubt they'll do a great job

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I must say, it sucks that Vicarious Visions is being bought out by Blizzard, which is essentially a more greedy and eviler-company of Activision. Vicarious Visions made some of my personal favorite post-Naughty Dog Crash games and they did such a phenomenal job with bringing the bandicoot back, so its extremely sad to see them go. On the flip side, however, I can't be too sad because Beenox and Toys For Bob have proven themselves and that they have the ability and willpower to make extremely great Crash games after the success of Nitro-Fueled and Crash 4 so I have no doubt that they will make even more amazing Crash games in the near future.

As for how this affects Crash's chances in Smash, it affects nothing. If the Vicarious Visions buy-out somehow included Crash in the deal, which doesn't seem like the case, then Crash's chances would definitely decrease a bit and his competition with Tracer would be in full force, but Activision still owns Crash and they still make the decision to allow Crash to join the game. And even if the buy-out did include Crash, even then his chances wouldn't be dead, but just a little bit lower given as I've said, Blizzard is just a more greedier Activision, but his chances wouldn't be a 0%. Either way, I wouldn't worry much, at all.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
In other news, while I was searching the web, I came across this hilariously bad clickbait article from TheGamer. It got a good chuckle out of me, so I decided to share it with all of you.

View attachment 300431

You can view the full article here.
I remember seeing this article before because for whatever reason I was like "Wait, What does he mean?" and after reading about 1/4-1/3 of it, I said to myself...

tenor.gif

Obviously it's clickbait, But you gotta be kidding yourself if anyone believes that a big name franchise such as Crash Bandicoot is gonna have anyone else join Smash before the titular character himself?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In other news, while I was searching the web, I came across this hilariously bad clickbait article from TheGamer. It got a good chuckle out of me, so I decided to share it with all of you.

View attachment 300431

"That doesn't seem to be the case. It seems more likely that Sakurai is teasing the introduction of a different character from the Crash series. Villain Dr. Nefarious Tropy, and his female equivalent as an alternate skin. The reason some have reached that conclusion is the clocks Sakurai tweeted show the same times as the timepieces on the male and female versions of N. Tropy.

Considering the underwhelming impact that some of Ultimate's DLC fighters have had, we wouldn't put it past Nintendo to add N. Tropy before it adds Crash. Then again, the clocks could mean nothing at all. It could simply be Sakurai messing with Smash fans, as he often does. Not all of his tweets have to relate to Smash though, and he may have just been one of the many playing through It's About Time and wanted to tweet about it."

LMAO!!! Dr. Nefarious Tropy before Crash and Dr. Cortex? What dimanision is this guy living in? Lol!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

View attachment 300431

I swear, this "everyone is the protagonist" thing is getting out of hand...

Top Bottom