• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Or better yet, forget/overlook that we expected him at all. Sure worked out for me. :ultsephiroth:
Getting a character you really wanted but had little to non thought of their chances of making it in is very satisfying. For me Mewtwo and Sephiroth were mainly those characters I really wanted but thought had little to zero chances.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I got a gift card from work, and I'm wondering what to spend it on. I was thinking CTR, but what do y'all think? I've heard great things, with the main negative being the micro transactions. Which are regrettable, but not a deal breaker.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I got a gift card from work, and I'm wondering what to spend it on. I was thinking CTR, but what do y'all think? I've heard great things, with the main negative being the micro transactions. Which are regrettable, but not a deal breaker.
Micro transactions are so negligible that I actually didn't notice they were even there unless I purposely looked for them. You can easily get everything just by playing often enough, so I'd say go for it.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Micro transactions are so negligible that I actually didn't notice they were even there unless I purposely looked for them. You can easily get everything just by playing often enough, so I'd say go for it.
I suppose I'm a little hesitant because I'm generally not a huge fan of racers. The only exceptions have been Mario Kart and Burnout. I love Crash Bandicoot, but that doesn't mean I'll love his racer. I'm worried about regretting it. Lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I suppose I'm a little hesitant because I'm generally not a huge fan of racers. The only exceptions have been Mario Kart and Burnout. I love Crash Bandicoot, but that doesn't mean I'll love his racer. I'm worried about regretting it. Lol
Have you ever played Diddy Kong Racing? I think you would love that game as I think it's better than Mario Kart 64 as a single player experience.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
My take is if you love the Crash Bandicoot franchise and your fan of Mario Kart, Chances are very good that your probably gonna like "CTR: Nitro Fueled", Though it is more skilled based compared to Mario Kart in terms of driving mechanics and a steeper difficulty curve.

I love "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" too, But I'm kinda burned out by it since it's almost 7 years old and double items make races too chaotic at times. I also happen to picked up "CTR: Nitro Fueled" this past "Black Friday" (Have played it decently with brother-in law already) ,But have yet to open it because of work and though I am almost caught up on my backlog, I still have to finish up and beat "Super Mario 3D All-Stars" first.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If you like Mario Kart, you will like CTR. It is like Mario Kart but it is way more skill testing that Mario Kart 8. If you like how Wii or DS felt like they rewarded you more for playing well, go for it. It has amazing course design except for Dino Mines.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
CTR IMO is probably one of the best racers i've played. Working on 100% rn

wrong crash racer

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
This pass so far is a 9/10 for me (loses one point for Min Min over Spring Man and all that implies).
If Crash is not one of the final three, then it will go down no less than 2 points, as Crash is a must-have.
Unfortunately, if my prediction is correct, Crash will be the final character, adding to the anxiety.

D

Deleted member

If you like Mario Kart, then you'll like Crash Team Racing. The game's microtransactions are the least predatory microtransactions I've ever seen in a video game. You can still earn wumpa coins and unlock stuff just by playing the game, and the microtransactions are hidden away inside of a menu, and not all up in your face.

It's more of a skilled based game than Mario Kart is, as the driving mechanics are different from Mario Kart. The similarities between CTR and Mario Kart stop at them both being kart racers. That's it.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
It looks marvelous! Also, what are Crash Bandicoot's chances of getting in, given that there are only 3 unrevealed DLC characters left?
Hard to say what his chances are based on the current dlc, but to me? I wanna say very likely. Given, unless we get a lot of unexpected picks, I think Crash is in.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Good CTR stuffs. Probably one of the best mascot racing games. I remember playing it a ton when Nitro Fueled came out but got burned out quick because of the rotating shop annoyance.

If you really hate yourself, try your hand at time trials.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Was thinking about this regarding crash so hypothetically would you want either Crash, Crash with a classic crash skin, Crash with a coco skin or Crash with Coco echo?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was thinking about this regarding crash so hypothetically would you want either Crash, Crash with a classic crash skin, Crash with a coco skin or Crash with Coco echo?
Crash by himself. I gave up on the dlc echoes dream ages ago and a Coco alt doesn’t sit well with me as Crash doesn’t have full dialogue but coco does

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Kind of a somewhat random thought ,But even though none of them are owned by Sony, It would be nice to have a Playstation character join Smash who isn't from a Mature or JRPG franchise, I want people to see that while Playstation is catered towards older gamers, They still have fun cartoony platforming mascots too.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Kind of a somewhat random thought ,But even though none of them are owned by Sony, It would be nice to have a Playstation character join Smash who isn't from a Mature or JRPG franchise, I want people to see that while Playstation is catered towards older gamers, They still have fun cartoony platforming mascots too.
Ratchet and Clank?

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Crash with Coco echo for me.
I'm no game development guru, but an alt might be rough-going due to differences in the bandicoot's physical builds (tho that issue would prob. apply to echoes too...), & I'd rather Coco get her own slot + animations.

Realistically speaking, though, it'd just be Crash, which is perfectly fine too.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Ratchet and Clank?
I like Ratchet & Clank and all, But I'm really trying to be realistic here and come on let's be honest, What are the odds of Sony gonna want to play ball with Nintendo?

While Ratchet & Clank is Sony's flagship platforming franchise, It unfortunately doesn't garner the attention and sales of more mature Sony 1st party IP's like God of War, Uncharted and the Last of Us, But then again that's just the way the video game landscape is today.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, more to the point, R&C hasn't been anywhere near a Nintendo console. Even Kratos arguably got there via Fortnite crossplay.

Would Klonoa count? Most of his games were on Sony hardware, despite being from Namco.

Yeah, I know that you're referring to Crash, but it was worth throwing out there.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I like Ratchet & Clank and all, But I'm really trying to be realistic here and come on let's be honest, What are the odds of Sony gonna want to play ball with Nintendo?

While Ratchet & Clank is Sony's flagship platforming franchise, It unfortunately doesn't garner the attention and sales of more mature Sony 1st party IP's like God of War, Uncharted and the Last of Us, But then again that's just the way the video game landscape is today.
Seconding this hard. Sony genuinely seems less down to play ball with this sort of stuff. In terms of Sony reps, it would probs go Kratos>Joel/Ellie>=Nathan>Ratchet. It also does not help there is some...historical bad blood between Sony and Nintendo in particular.

Part of why I would love Crash to be in is because of how important the PS1 is to gaming as a whole. Smash has not really been about just Nintendo or Nintendo history for a while, it at least ain't all about that now. The PS1 in my eyes is the true successor to the SNES. It ironically was meant to be a successor or add on to the SNES at first. The Nintendo Play Station was meant to be the successor/add on to the SNES to rival the Sega CD which gets a bit too much hate imo. Due a licensing situation that favored Sony, Nintendo backed out and did not inform Sony until after Sony made their announcement of the deal. Sony in retaliation took the prototype and developed it into their first home system. I will say it now, the Nintendo Play Station is Nintendo's greatest failure, because it allowed their greatest rival ever to enter the fray. Worse than the Virtual Boy, worse than the 64DD, worse than the e Reader, worse than any game Nintendo made that bombed.

That being said, the PS1 is the true successor to the Super Nintendo in my eyes. While the N64 might have had Nintendo's IPs, the PS1 had the library and diversity that made the SNES legendary. Name a genre, the PS1 likely has something to tickle your fancy. It is my favorite system of all time, and Crash is one of those faces that you see at the forefront of the system. I would love for the PS1 to get more love in Smash, and imo Crash is arguably the best choice in terms of roster diversity.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Also, more to the point, R&C hasn't been anywhere near a Nintendo console. Even Kratos arguably got there via Fortnite crossplay.

Would Klonoa count? Most of his games were on Sony hardware, despite being from Namco.

Yeah, I know that you're referring to Crash, but it was worth throwing out there.
I mean there was several 3rd party platforming mascots on the original Playstation like Croc, Gex, Klanoa and even Rayman to just name a few.

But the biggest fish in that PS1 pond was Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Spyro the Dragon.

If any platforming mascot is gonna "Unofficially" represent the Playstation brand it's gonna be the de facto mascot and that's Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I mean there was several 3rd party platforming mascots on the original Playstation like Croc, Gex, Klanoa and even Rayman to just name a few.

But the biggest fish in that PS1 pond was Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Spyro the Dragon.

If any platforming mascot is gonna "Unofficially" represent the Playstation brand it's gonna be the de facto mascot and that's Crash Bandicoot.
Gonna also say the advertising and sales figures back this up. Crash eclipses all those other in terms of sales on the ps1, and was the most used in marketing by a longshot. Part of this was due to how good Crash looked at the time. Compare Crash 1's graphics to Croc for instance, it is night and day.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ratchet and Clank?
Jack & Daxter?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'd honestly say crash would feel like a playstation rep in my eyes
And that's how the majority see it, Despite being owned by Activision and because of the franchise's origins even after 25 years, Most fans still strongly associate Crash Bandicoot with Sony's Playstation brand.

It's the exact same thing with Banjo-Kazooie despite being owned by Microsoft, Most fans still see them as Nintendo characters rather than Xbox ones because of their roots/origins and being once owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom