• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
It'd be a cool tie in, but I think it's more likely a sequel hook or just a throw away joke.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It'd be a cool tie in, but I think it's more likely a sequel hook or just a throw away joke.
At any rate, we have no way of knowing until we see whether Crash will get in Smash or not, next year. It could mean nothing, but it doesn't hurt to keep it in the back of the mind, just in case.

Okay, so I eventually did get to this part in Crash 4, and the tweet I sent about it should tell you everything:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That's what I was saying a few weeks back.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
^ This is almost to the levels of speculation that the Geno thread was running into constantly. I'd love for Crash to be in, but trying to make a throwaway joke in the recent Crash game is probably the most desperate thing I've seen yet.

Same here. But characters like Ratchet & Clank, Jack & Daxter, Kratos, and Sackboy would be actual Sony reps who are all in fact owned by Sony. Crash though is a Sony rep by heart since he was once their mascot.
Smash Bros has become a better Playstation AllStars than Playstation AllStars.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I have no hate for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

While nothing will ever beat "Super Smash Bros" I was really hoping and pushing for Sony to really establish "PSABR" as a franchise going forward because while Traditional fighting games can be fun, Smash always drawn me more because I love the idea of video game icons and mascots beating the hell out of each other and it was awesome to see Sony do it with their roster of Playstation characters even if they did kind of missed the mark, Here's hoping they do a sequel which will probably push me more to get a Playstation 5.

That being said, I still wanna see Nintendo go after Crash Bandicoot as somewhat of a final blow to Sony on 1-Uping them when it comes to mascot brawlers.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the character roster meeting, and them coming to the realization that the characters most people expected weren't a possibility.
The most obvious question was asked during an interview for the game, But as we all know it never happened, Kinda sucks that Superbot Entertainment didn't really have the leverage to negotiate for more heavy hitters to join the roster of Playstation All-Stars.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The most obvious question was asked during an interview for the game, But as we all know it never happened, Kinda sucks that Superbot Entertainment didn't really have the leverage to negotiate for more heavy hitters to join the roster of Playstation All-Stars.

Playstation All-Stars is the one fighting game I can think of where people remember the roster more for who DIDN'T get in versus who DID

Meanwhile, Smash Bros. alone is making a better PSABR by getting Snake, Cloud, Joker, and Sephiroth

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Playstation All-Stars is the one fighting game I can think of where people remember the roster more for who DIDN'T get in versus who DID

Meanwhile, Smash Bros. alone is making a better PSABR by getting Snake, Cloud, Joker, and Sephiroth
It's gonna be sad for PSASBR if Smash Ultimate manages to get Crash. LMAO.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
It just shows how impressive it is that Smash has become such a famed and respected crossover. Just a couple games ago, Snake and Sonic were insane additions, as the first non-Nintendo characters. Now here we are with some of the biggest Playstation reps that Playstation's own crossover fighting game couldn't get, and even Crash Bandicoot seems very possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's always amusing to me how in some ways Smash just goes the opposite direction that PSASBR took for third-parties.

:ultsnake: for MGS instead of Raiden.
:ultryu::ultmegaman: instead of Donte (especially seeing as MM only had tie-ins at the time).

It just shows how impressive it is that Smash has become such a famed and respected crossover. Just a couple games ago, Snake and Sonic were insane additions, as the first non-Nintendo characters. Now here we are with some of the biggest Playstation reps that Playstation's own crossover fighting game couldn't get, and even Crash Bandicoot seems very possible.
I can't improve on that; what you said is everything that needed to be said.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I don't know if this has ever been shared but here goes nothing

According to this video, Crash ranked in a poll Sakurai made all the way back before Melee for potential additions to Melee so that at least indicates that he is aware the character exists and some module of fan request for Crash existed in japan back in the day.

Interesting information that i never knew existed

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

According to this video, Crash ranked in a poll Sakurai made all the way back before Melee for potential additions to Melee so that at least indicates that he is aware the character exists and some module of fan request for Crash existed in japan back in the day.

It's a fairly well known and discussed poll.

Crash is somewhat on the lower end of the request spectrum but there's not much difference in the number of votes between third party characters. For what it's worth, he had more votes than Sonic and Mega Man.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

This seems unusual; I don't know how often they have these free trials for games (especially for games that have been out for a while), but at least it should help to get more people into the Crash series.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Isn't this the first game trial for a game that is 3rd party on the Switch? Might be wrong, but this game doesn't even get update support anymore outside of minor bugfixes or title screen message changes. This could be something good, like It's About Time coming to Switch! I can't think of a reason why Nintendo would advertise a game that technically rivals Mario Kart otherwise. Nitro-Fueled is better imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't this the first game trial for a game that is 3rd party on the Switch? Might be wrong, but this game doesn't even get update support anymore outside of minor bugfixes or title screen message changes. This could be something good, like It's About Time coming to Switch! I can't think of a reason why Nintendo would advertise a game that technically rivals Mario Kart otherwise. Nitro-Fueled is better imo.
Nope there was also some disgaea game iirc

not that I think we’re getting a NIS rep personally but yeah

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Disgaea and I think Overwatch had something similar, so it probably doesn't mean much.

Although I do honestly think a Disgaea rep is slightly slept, but this is the Crash Bandicoot thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Disgaea 5 also got a free trial after the partner showcase in which it was shown, so it's not the first time it happens with a 3rd party game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My guess is that we are getting something Crash Bandicoot related for Switch soon if this trial hits soon
We'll probably find out in a few months. From that one CrashyNews article:

At the beginning of the video (0:00), you can see 3 marks on the back of the TV, as well as 2 marks on the front of the TV (0:03), and also at (0:25), you can also see a traffic light with a toll pole. Pointed out by JumpButton and Canadian Guy Eh, stitching these together by frequency of “visible” appearance in order as “32221”, which turns it into a date “3/22/21”, which is potentially the date of reveal or release of the game.
If that does indeed hint towards a new spin-off game, that'll most likely come with the confirmation of a Switch release, potentially.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nope there was also some disgaea game iirc

not that I think we’re getting a NIS rep personally but yeah
Disgaea and I think Overwatch had something similar, so it probably doesn't mean much.

Although I do honestly think a Disgaea rep is slightly slept, but this is the Crash Bandicoot thread, so I'll just leave it at that.
For what it's worth, Disgaea 6 didn't go to the PS4 at all, but that probably stems more from the lack of Vita than anything else.

But yeah I won't elaborate on this any further, back to Crashing.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

This seems unusual; I don't know how often they have these free trials for games, but at least it should help to get more people into the Crash series.
This is huge. I'll divulgue it to my friends that always say they want to buy CTR to get to know the game but never do, lol

(Also helps with the optimism regarding Crash's chances)

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
One thing i kinda expect is to use Team Bandicoot from CTR as the victory theme though its too long.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
One thing i kinda expect is to use Team Bandicoot from CTR as the victory theme though its too long.
I think if Crash Bandicoot is gonna have a Super Smash Bros "Victory Theme" it's gonna be a short fanfare of the "Warped Theme" seeing how it's the theme most associated with the franchise and seeing how Crash Bandicoot series doesn't really have a victory theme.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Yeah, I brought it up in a theory of mine a long time ago. I pointed out the fact that Crash is the only video game character from that poll who has not been in a single Smash game yet, and with Ultimate's focus on fan demand, its very possible Sakurai could round up that poll by including Crash as a playable character, to finally get all the Smash 2 requests in the game.

This seems unusual; I don't know how often they have these free trials for games (especially for games that have been out for a while), but at least it should help to get more people into the Crash series.
Isn't this the first third-party title to get one of these free trials? If that's so, then that is pretty suspicious. I know these demos probably mean nothing, but its still interesting that a major third party title like CTR is getting one of these trials.

So, what do you guys think Crash's victory theme should be, if he gets in?
I'm personally a huge fan of this fan-made remix:

If not this, then I think the theme that plays when finishing in first place in CTR could be an easy alternative.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Crash makes it in, Spyro might get a deluxe mii costume!
...How?

I have no hate for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

While nothing will ever beat "Super Smash Bros" I was really hoping and pushing for Sony to really establish "PSABR" as a franchise going forward because while Traditional fighting games can be fun, Smash always drawn me more because I love the idea of video game icons and mascots beating the hell out of each other and it was awesome to see Sony do it with their roster of Playstation characters even if they did kind of missed the mark, Here's hoping they do a sequel which will probably push me more to get a Playstation 5.

That being said, I still wanna see Nintendo go after Crash Bandicoot as somewhat of a final blow to Sony on 1-Uping them when it comes to mascot brawlers.
My problem with PSASBR was not that it was a Smash ripoff, but that it was a bad Smash ripoff. I wish it had been a proper platform fighter like Brawlout.

But regarding Crash, I still see him as the most likely newcomer. I am very pleased with this Fighter's Pass as it is currently, but because Crash is my #1 most wanted newcomer (was #2, but now Banjo's in), not having him be part of this Fighter's Pass will immediately drop it's rating by 2 points, if not more depending on who the remaining three characters are.

My personal prediction is that our final three are Monster Hunter in March, Jonesy at E3, and Crash in September.
But there is a 4chan post that's gotten a lot of traction due to guessing three out of six characters correctly, and oddly enough, I am inclined to semi-believe it simply because it makes perfect sense. This post includes Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, and Rayman.
All three of these companies are very tight knit with Nintendo and already have content in Smash. Bethesda has the Vault Boy Deluxe Mii Costume. Koei-Tecmo has an Assist Trophy from Fatal Frame. And Ubisoft has the Rayman Spirit in the base game as well as Mii Costumes for Rabbids and Altaïr. Not to mention Mario's crossover with Rayman Legends (costume) and Mario + Rabbids.
These characters are also probably the most speculated characters with circumstantial evidence. A day cannot pass without 1,000 Hayabusa leaks. Ubisoft's Sam bot mysteriously stopped talking about Smash Bros. And Bethesda has always acted coy when discussing Smash Bros.

As much as I am 50/50 on this supposed leak, I cannot deny that Crash also has a leak in his favor with the five year plan where half the things listed have already come to pass. But more damning to this 4chan leak is the absence of Jonesy. Epic straight up gave the same "No comment" response that Suda51 gave about Travis Touchdown just before the Mii Costume was announced. To me, that's about the most assuring answer one can give that something is in the works, though perhaps Jonesy will take 5 years like Steve and be the killer newcomer for Smash 7.

Point is, I want Crash very badly, and I still feel his inclusion in my gut, but my gut is also keeping an eye on Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, and Rayman.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I mean like physically, how can Spyro get a Deluxe Mii Costume? He's quadrupedal. Miis only have two legs.
Maybe a hat, but there's no way he could be a Deluxe Mii Costume.
Creepers and Pigs (Minecraft) aren't humanoid, and they got mii costumes, so Spyro can get a deluxe mii costume. His front legs would simply be the arms.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Creepers and Pigs (Minecraft) aren't humanoid, and they got mii costumes, so Spyro can get a deluxe mii costume. His front legs would simply be the arms.
You said Deluxe Mii Costume. Those are Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman.
Deluxe Mii Costumes are fully modeled and proportioned to look almost like full fledged Fighters. Spyro cannot fill that role.
Though if Crash is in Fighter's Pass Volume 2, I fully support Spyro for the next batch of newcomers.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
You said Deluxe Mii Costume. Those are Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman.
Deluxe Mii Costumes are fully modeled and proportioned to look almost like full fledged Fighters. Spyro cannot fill that role.
Though if Crash is in Fighter's Pass Volume 2, I fully support Spyro for the next batch of newcomers.
Seconding this. If Spyro got a Mii Costume, it would likely just be a hat. That being said, if we got Crash this season, you know I will be loud and proud about Spyro for next season. But Crash is the main priority here. He has the stronger legacy.

Top Bottom