• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
View attachment 296514
FP2 was making bank Pre Steve and Seph. I doubt that after how well it is doing Nintendo would turn down easy money.
Idk. Nintendo had to have known that FP2 would do well. I doubt DLC would ever NOT do well unless a new Smash came out. The point is, it has to stop sometime.

A FP3 would be amazing, but unless they were outright lying about "not having plans" I don't see it happening especially since negotiations for characters can take so long. Unless they're about to dump a bunch of 1st characters on us in a FP3. Hard to say.

I almost don't want a FP3 just so the game can be complete and I don't have to wait anymore. Unless I don't get Crash this time... lol

Will E3 2021 be another Double Reveal?
Possibly, but if they're smart they'll spread it out more if there are really only 3 characters left.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Idk. Nintendo had to have known that FP2 would do well. I doubt DLC would ever NOT do well unless a new Smash came out. The point is, it has to stop sometime.

A FP3 would be amazing, but unless they were outright lying about "not having plans" I don't see it happening especially since negotiations for characters can take so long. Unless they're about to dump a bunch of 1st characters on us in a FP3. Hard to say.

I almost don't want a FP3 just so the game can be complete and I don't have to wait anymore. Unless I don't get Crash this time... lol

Possibly, but if they're smart they'll spread it out more if there are really only 3 characters left.
see that's just how they worded it. "currently no plans". as you know, plans are subject to change. its not like he said "this IS the final pass no ifs or buts"

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
see that's just how they worded it. "currently no plans". as you know, plans are subject to change. its not like he said "this IS the final pass no ifs or buts"
Right, but my point is that if there are "currently no plans" then there's no one being negotiated for at the moment. It would likely take too long to negotiate for anyone at this point to line up with Ultimate DLC. I could be wrong of course. Maybe Steve's five year negotiation process was a massive outlier. I wouldn't be surprised if the average 3rd party character takes at least a couple of years though.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
He also once said Mewtwo was the only DLC Smash 4 would ever get so it's not like he has ever changed his mind on things.

Probably not the best for his health but i think there is a possibility for yet another pass

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He also once said Mewtwo was the only DLC Smash 4 would ever get so it's not like he has ever changed his mind on things.

Probably not the best for his health but i think there is a possibility for yet another pass
Can I get a source on the Mewtwo thing? I hear everyone and their mom bring it up but no link to it

as for his health he said he’s been able to rest a bit more during quarantine. I mean; hopefully that’s enough

And that COVID eventually goes away in Japan completely

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
it may also be the last (for real) seeing as how currently the game holds 91 spots including miis and unstacked echoes at the CSS before crashing

idk if that's a software or hardware issue or if that limit can be altered but if pass 3 happens best to assume it's the last
I'm no expert, but I don't see how that could be a hardware issue. It definitely sounds like a software thing... could be a very easy fix they just haven't bothered with because you can't have that many characters in the unmodded game.

Of course, I still would not expect anything past a third pass, and even hoping for a third pass is optimistic in itself.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm not sure who here is interested, but RabbidLuigi put Crash 4 on his Top 10 Games of the Year list, albeit pretty low:

https://youtu.be/LE6ktcu4dmI (posting a link due to mild language)

Although as someone who actually LIKED the Skylanders games, the jab at them made me a little sad...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do tend to be wary when he says anything is "final", especially given that in the context of FP2 he only brought it up on his Famitsu column and not his video presentations. In this case, it should be a "true until further notice" kind of thing.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how that could be a hardware issue. It definitely sounds like a software thing... could be a very easy fix they just haven't bothered with because you can't have that many characters in the unmodded game.

Of course, I still would not expect anything past a third pass, and even hoping for a third pass is optimistic in itself.
It's likely that in this case it would be more a case of the passes doing far better sales than even they expected, when I've seen many fans doubt that Ultimate would get more after the first pass or even get anything after the base game. So it's possible that the programming wasn't taken into account for such a contingency.

Fortunately, the December 2021 deadline is so far off that Sak's staff could have the time to work that out, if necessary.

In the meantime, all we can do is wait and see what happens, so who knows.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Sure. Seriously, why did the Geno thread get locked? It wasn't bad.
I don't wanna sound 2 conspiratorial but with the way it was so heavily moderated, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who hard core hate him are in a mod position.

Anyways Crash is my most wanted now I think. Dya think he should have some kinda Aku Aku Gimmick?

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna sound 2 conspiratorial but with the way it was so heavily moderated, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who hard core hate him are in a mod position.

Anyways Crash is my most wanted now I think. Dya think he should have some kinda Aku Aku Gimmick?
Depending on how it is handled. It shouldn't be too RNG.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also regarding FP3.

Wasn't it stated or something that Ultimate could only hold up to 90 characters at most? Any more and the game would likely crash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also regarding FP3.

Wasn't it stated or something that Ultimate could only hold up to 90 characters at most? Any more and the game would likely crash.
91 actually

it was discovered by a modder and judging by what people say it’s likely a software issue that can easily be fixed by adding another placeholder slot

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Crash is in. Smash Ultimate has a ton of western content but Activision is somehow the one big name missing
Yeah, though all we can really do is wait and see before we can tell if that's truly the case, while we wade through a sea of text "leaks" for most of next year.

In the meantime, I'm bugged about the supposed hints towards the upcoming Crash spin-off (that isn't On the Run) we might hear about on March 22nd.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I do tend to be wary when he says anything is "final", especially given that in the context of FP2 he only brought it up on his Famitsu column and not his video presentations. In this case, it should be a "true until further notice" kind of thing.

It's likely that in this case it would be more a case of the passes doing far better sales than even they expected, when I've seen many fans doubt that Ultimate would get more after the first pass or even get anything after the base game. So it's possible that the programming wasn't taken into account for such a contingency.

Fortunately, the December 2021 deadline is so far off that Sak's staff could have the time to work that out, if necessary.

In the meantime, all we can do is wait and see what happens, so who knows.
I mean to be fair, most things Sakurai says are true...for a time. Not saying the man is a liar, he obviously is not. It is just that things change over time. Characters like Villager, Ridley, and the Miis all are characters that he considered at one point impossible. Mewtwo was the only planned DLC for 4. Now, does this mean that he is telling a lie for this being the last pass? Well, we can guess when that interview was done, there were likely no solid, concrete plans for FP2, leaving it up in the air. With how well Japan handled Covid and how much money Smash is making, who knows. All we gotta do is wait and see.

That being said, Crash is the single character I am the most confident in rn. I think Crash is very likely, the stars are lining up for him...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean to be fair, most things Sakurai says are true...for a time. Not saying the man is a liar, he obviously is not. It is just that things change over time. Characters like Villager, Ridley, and the Miis all are characters that he considered at one point impossible. Mewtwo was the only planned DLC for 4. Now, does this mean that he is telling a lie for this being the last pass? Well, we can guess when that interview was done, there were likely no solid, concrete plans for FP2, leaving it up in the air. With how well Japan handled Covid and how much money Smash is making, who knows. All we gotta do is wait and see.

That being said, Crash is the single character I am the most confident in rn. I think Crash is very likely, the stars are lining up for him...
got a source for this?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Looking back at Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy's initial release being a PlayStation 4 timed exclusive, and a year later releasing on other systems including the Switch, would Crash 4 release sometime around October (or late September) on the Switch? Although Crash 4 didn't release as a timed exclusive for a specific console, I wonder if it could maybe release a bit earlier in 2021 (Summer maybe).

D

Deleted member

Looking back at Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy's initial release being a PlayStation 4 timed exclusive, and a year later releasing on other systems including the Switch, would Crash 4 release sometime around October (or late September) on the Switch? Although Crash 4 didn't release as a timed exclusive for a specific console, I wonder if it could maybe release a bit earlier in 2021 (Summer maybe).
Probably. I imagine if they want the game to have more exposure and want to continue making money off of it, then they'd put it on there.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Should Crashes recovery be a crate or the Jetpack? or somthing else?
I would prefer the jetpack just to avoid having another 3rd party mascot type character with a spring recovery.

It's a minor gripe but one that at least pushes me to have a preference.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Clearly leaves the door open while still telling the truth...
...What I can say now about paid DLC is that we aren't working on anything at the moment. We've put all our efforts into making the actual game. Creating DLC would involve large additional costs and require the involvement of a lot of people.
Aaaaand boom there it is

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I keep thinking about the direct where the Nsane Trilogy was announced for Switch. The announcer said "the impossible isn't possible until it happens." They KNOW what a big deal this was. Could they have gone even a step further and gotten this "impossible" character for Smash?

My theory is that during this announcement in Q1 2018 Crash was already being negotiated, and these ports were part of the deal.

FULLY securing my tinfoil hat now: I think you'll notice that a certain other game was announced during the same direct. Where a certain... young cephalopod had their pupil filled with a certain... blazing inferno... Coming to Switch later that year maybe...?

200.gif

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m genuinely surprised that Crash isn’t in Smash yet. His absence is so jarring.
Methinks it's a case of long-term planning, seeing as his revival didn't start until 2017.

I keep thinking about the direct where the Nsane Trilogy was announced for Switch. The announcer said "the impossible isn't possible until it happens." They KNOW what a big deal this was. Could they have gone even a step further and gotten this "impossible" character for Smash?

My theory is that during this announcement in Q1 2018 Crash was already being negotiated, and these ports were part of the deal.

FULLY securing my tinfoil hat now: I think you'll notice that a certain other game was announced during the same direct. Where a certain... young cephalopod had their pupil filled with a certain... blazing inferno... Coming to Switch later that year maybe...?

View attachment 296921
Good eye! I missed that in the list of coincidental announcements occurring around the same time as Crash ones.

Game Awards 2018: Nitro-Fueled unveiled and :ultjoker: revealed as the first fighter of FP1.
E3 2019: Nitro-Fueled Grand Prix unveiled and :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: revealed as the next two fighters of FP1.
Developers Showcase: Crash 4 unveiled and :ultminmin revealed as the first fighter of FP2.

If you also add the Crash 4 game and artbook releases occurring a few days short of :ultsteve: and :ultsephiroth:'s reveals, it's starting to become a pattern. The only way to know for sure is if we hear about the next Ultimate fighter around the time On the Run launches on March 25 2021.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I still support Crash, but the three reveals we've gotten for volume 2 were sort of all surprises and if everyone expects Crash it's gotten me a bit worried that the latter half will still be left-field picks that still make sense.

The only thing that really has me holding onto hope is that anyone close to being an insider really hasn't ruled out Activision at all. Activision themselves are quiet too, so who knows at this point.

Top Bottom