• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
The rest of the continent is ********.
Well obvoiusly. The rest of the continent, population-wise, is made up of the United States of America. It goes without saying that the rest of the continent is ********.

This is a different discussion though!

(Someone from WA is gonna come in here, read this, and kill me)

Metà

Smash Master
I never meant my stage list to be permanent. I figured it would only be used for my tournament, and then we'd have a discussion as to what the final stage list will be like.

Also, Pokemon Stadium is a terrible neutral stage; I don't know why I ever had it on my list. >_<

unityole

Smash Lord
Jack I can attend this Saturday. Last time I said I will and didn't show, but I'm confident on making it this time.

On a side note, Eric is to ****. He can make a new combo video every day.
the tournament btw is next saturday..

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I never meant my stage list to be permanent. I figured it would only be used for my tournament, and then we'd have a discussion as to what the final stage list will be like.

Also, Pokemon Stadium is a terrible neutral stage; I don't know why I ever had it on my list. >_<
Yeah I know. But Jack's been running the tournaments for a bit now and he's just gone with your ruleset because he doesn't play the games.

Rampage

vx
Yeah I know. But Jack's been running the tournaments for a bit now and he's just gone with your ruleset because he doesn't play the games.
Wait a minute...haven't we been playing with only 4 neutral stages?

FD BF SV YS

Isn't that how the tournaments have been going recently?

I say we get the people that care and want to contribute to the final list of stages legal for our tournaments and send in your personal opinion on certain stages being banned/counterpick/neutral via email.
I wouldn't mind doing this.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I'd do that too. We could argue it here too.
Still need to decide whether or not we'll be adopting the SBR standard or not though. I'm for following the SBR standard.

Rampage

vx
I'm against it since I never agreed with their decisions completely. Especially the tier list, although I'm not really a brawl player I'd still love to help out with this. Have they come up with a list already? We will decide if the list is decent or a bunch of bull, We will most likely make some changes to it since not everyone can agree on one thing. Who would like to do as I suggested and have some people send in their reasons as to why stages should be banned/set counterpick/neutral?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Their tier list doesn't matter except when running Low Tier tournaments. Which, again, we'd probably have to follow as it makes it simpler for people travelling. I think that everyone should follow a unified ruleset so that we don't run into crap like the 0C tournaments where they had to make concessions to the super-conservative Japanese.

In a competitive environment, it works best if everyone plays by the same rules and standards.

I'm hoping everyone is for the new starter stage selection method though? Instead of randoming a "neutral" stage, it's a strike out method. Example:
Say Yoshi's Island, Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, and Lylat Cruise are starter stages.
I strike FD.
Rampage strikes Yoshi's Island.
I strike Battlefield.
Rampage strikes Lylat Cruise.
We play on Smashville as a result.

Rampage

vx
That's nice and all but that would be assuming that we stay with 5 neutral stages, anything could happen if this thing goes through where people bring in their own stage lists and discussion takes place to determine what stages are placed in which category. I do not believe lylat is a neutral stage; the tilting can seriously mess up some characters while trying to control space, not to mention the edges are pretty lame. With those two reasons it makes the stage sound more of a counter-pick rather than a neutral stage.

unityole

Smash Lord
I'm hoping everyone is for the new starter stage selection method though? Instead of randoming a "neutral" stage, it's a strike out method. Example:
Say Yoshi's Island, Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, and Lylat Cruise are starter stages.
I strike FD.
Rampage strikes Yoshi's Island.
I strike Battlefield.
Rampage strikes Lylat Cruise.
We play on Smashville as a result.
well random neutrals are fine, since its random people can't argue over it.
how is lylat cruise a neutral? isnt it a counter pick?

Rampage

vx
well random neutrals are fine, since its random people can't argue over it.
exactly, I can't see why anybody would want to change this. It was like this in melee and some stages are going to give other characters an advantage, much like marth and yoshi story in melee. If you got it on random well then thats too bad, if you happen to lose then just counterpick It's that easy. I say keep random as the first pick.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Unless both players agree to something, though I like random. If the counterpick pool is going to increase, I'd like to be able to call a ban on a stage I wouldn't want to play.

Lylat was neutral a long time ago, but its considered counter-pick now.

Metà

Smash Master
I actually like this strike-out idea, and I'd like to try it out. If I do go with that, I think I'll leave the 5 neutrals that Rushan mentioned.

Also, I agree, we should follow SBR for the most part. I don't expect the final list to be identical to theirs, but I would like to follow what most other TO's are doing. I haven't actually looked at the official stage list though, so maybe I should check that out now.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Uh, are you guys misunderstanding the strike out system? It's just using process of elimination to figure out which stage to play first. Flip a coin or something, then take turns removing stages until you're left with one to play. It only affects the first match. You can still ban one stage for the match (although I disagree with that rule).

I don't see how random stages makes for no complaining compared to this. In random there's a random chance that one of the characters will get the advantage, like Marth in Battlefield (Melee). With this method, you can easily strike out Battlefield. The biggest advantage of this system is that stage is picked BEFORE character. That way you we follow the order of events (Character -> Stage) used in Advanced Slob Picks.

Using the old method if everyone else moves to the new method's gonna be pretty backwards...

Edit: I don't see Lylat Cruise becoming counterpick btw. Especially for the reasons stated here. The SBR is being pretty liberal-minded and keeping bans low this time around I think. Remember that in Melee we didn't have any sort of unification for years, so that's why are our stage ban lists were so crappy.

Rampage

vx
The whole character advantages is part of the game, no matter what some characters will always have an advantage on certain stages than others. You just have to deal with it. Stick with the old method, I'm not liking how this whole strike out system is working.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
The whole character advantages is part of the game, no matter what some characters will always have an advantage on certain stages than others. You just have to deal with it. Stick with the old method, I'm not liking how this whole strike out system is working.
How does that affect the strike out method then? You just have more choice over which stage is played. You arrive at a stage strategically rather than randomly.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
How does that affect the strike out method then? You just have more choice over which stage is played. You arrive at a stage strategically rather than randomly.
Not entirely true. Either way, it's somewhat random since the person who picks first is decided by coin flip, so it doesn't really change that.

It seems like too much thinking... I'd rather just press Start right away and get the set started. :p

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I don't mind the strike out rule. It's only 5 stages (or so) which makes it quick and I don't even think and coin flip is needed because players will probably ban the stage that they don't like the odds on no matter who their playing or when they strike it (1st or 4th)

The ban list, CP list and neutral list are all going to take a while ultimatly but I'm going to go with what I feel is best for the Okanagan tourney for Brawl events. I'm still deciding on that though, just have what Evan made/Jack uses for now.

Following the core of the community is good but we can always mix it up a bit, BC>World, we all know that ;]

unityole

Smash Lord
You can still ban one stage for the match (although I disagree with that rule).
that is the only thing i don't get.
banning one stage to me is stupid, why would they bann a good looking decent fairly well made stage, like for example FD?

unless a stage gives way too much advantage to certain characters in a match up, banning it might be reasonable. otherwise i dont see a point to it.

unityole

Smash Lord
Gary, and David (I wonder if he will pick up a controller again). Frank is pretty good too but he plays as much as I do.
get em all to come to the tourney at sfu =D 12th melee 13th brawl, pwns.

Edit: smashfest this saturday, same place, come when you're free.
as far as i know, Evan, Matt, Adam, Eric, Yakal and me are showing up.

couple more people would be nice.

looking for 10-12 players.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
smashfest this saturday, same place, come when you're free.
as far as i know, Evan, Matt, Adam, Eric, Yakal and me are showing up.

couple more people would be nice.

looking for 10-12 players.
I WOULD COME, EXCEPT UNLIKE YOU FOOLS, I HAVE A LIFE!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

But srsly now. I have to work saturday, and as a matter of fact, I don't have a life.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I was talking about the smashfest Jack, the one this saturday where you said 10 peepz n ****?

Ugh, so much brawltalk. Lol I found my brawl today, I was like "oh. There it is."
This post made me l.o.l

If you guys make Brawl to be dittos only and FD only I'll join in the funcoaster. :bee:

VA

Smash Hero
Is anyone up for some smash soon! I'm not going to Calgary in the end Adam, too expensive. I'm dying for smassssshhhhh

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Well AIDS (Keith) and maybe Adam are gonna play smash at my house tonight probably, so you can call his cell cause I don't gots one, PM me if you don't have it.

unityole

Smash Lord
well SMASH FEST AT SFU TMR, starting as early as 10 i guess.

we got 3 tvs, hopefully we'll get a decent number of setups, like, at least 2 cube..
me eric evan adam matt yakal.. roby coming? and vanity angel, come for smash fest :)

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
well SMASH FEST AT SFU TMR, starting as early as 10 i guess.

we got 3 tvs, hopefully we'll get a decent number of setups, like, at least 2 cube..
me eric evan adam matt yakal.. roby coming? and vanity angel, come for smash fest :)
3 tvs for 8ish peeps and we can't get 6 for SFU #whatevs MEXED weekend?

*faceplamS*

And that made me lol too.

"oh, there it is"

Metà

Smash Master
At SFU tournaments, I bring two TV's usually, but I can't come to the one next weekend due to me being halfway across the continent.

Also, I think I have tendinitis. I don't know whether I should just quit Smash or just limit myself to a few hours a week. -_-

VA

Smash Hero
actually I guess I'm kind of busy this weekend? lol I'm free sunday. my name is robby by the way! confusing much?

When is smashfest!? and anyone free during the week!?

Metà

Smash Master
So, what times are people going to be at SFU tomorrow? I need to do some work for my dad sometime during the day (fixing the house and sh*t), and I need to know what times this is going on.

Rampage

vx
From 10 to whenever

vanity angel I'm free during the week. but I'm ALL the way here in coquitlam with no car :[
Where abouts are you? Burnaby would be a good place to smash...anybody in burnaby wanting to play some smash during the week?

Top Bottom