• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

unityole

Smash Lord
Melee replaced 64 except for those who wanted to live in the past for another 6 years ;)
umm actually its a different game, so it didnt get replaced, or else all the ssb64 would be gone when melee came out :o it just happens that more people plays melee, doesnt mean that 64 got replaced lol

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
It's hard for the same game to replace another. That wouldn't even make sense. Melee replaced 64. Brawl will replace Melee. Pokemon DP replaced ADV. Advanced replace GSC. GSC replaced RBY. The only competitive game that didn't completely replace the older game I can think of is Street Fighter III really where SFII is still huge. Although even that's seen as a side event to SFIII.

Stop taking offense to your game being replaced... It's natural for a new game to replace its predecessor.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Man you guys are jumping to way too many conclusions when the game just came out.. geez... we are still noobs and have a whole new world to discover...

I mean even in melee there are still things I don't know about.. like when I went to Pound 3, I learned a lot from the top pros in the world.

So ya.. you just can't say it will not be a competitive game right now, let's play the game for a few months then we'll see.

Metà

Smash Master
It's hard for the same game to replace another. That wouldn't even make sense. Melee replaced 64. Brawl will replace Melee. Pokemon DP replaced ADV. Advanced replace GSC. GSC replaced RBY. The only competitive game that didn't completely replace the older game I can think of is Street Fighter III really where SFII is still huge. Although even that's seen as a side event to SFIII.

Stop taking offense to your game being replaced... It's natural for a new game to replace its predecessor.
Screw that, I play both equally : )

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
where is this brawlfest at? i would like to participate : D pm or msn me info pweeez ericmonster

Eggz

Smash Hero
Kage is coming to Washington on the 15th of March. We will be having a Gameclucks that weekend. It will be fatter than your average bear, and we are trying to get everyone from BC, EWA, WWA, and OR to attend, and perhaps even some from SoCal. Entry will be 15/10.

For all purposes excluding entry fee, this is a glorified monthly.

Patooty

Smash Ace
Kage, the reason that we're quick to judge Brawl is that we feel it doesn't even have the TOOLS to be a deep game. In melee, you're more or less able to do anything anytime.

In Brawl, you can't dashdance/wavedash meaning that once you run one way, you're COMMITED.

In melee, you can smash out of a dash (dash canceling, you're technically not smashing OUT OF the dash, but effectively you are). No such thing in brawl.

No l-canceling in Brawl means that using certain(there are quite a few) aerials as an approach will get you punished. Effectively, these moves don't exist.

Combos are extremely hard to do, not in the sense that they require a great amount of skill, but in the sense that most moves have just the right knockback to make them not a kill move, and not a combo move.

Edgegaurding is extremely difficult, not in the sense that it requires a great amount of skill, but in the sense that everyone's recovery is really good. (auto sweetspotting the ledge if you're under, or if you're coming in from the top you can just sorta.. come in).

Mindgames become more important because there's hardly any techskill to be had, but there are hardly any tools for mindgames what with not being able to move wherever you want and all... and you can't fake your opponent with dashdancing etc..

Those were my impressions of Brawl when I played it for the first time. EDIT: I was playing it wrong. Although, most of those points still apply, at least to some degree.

After playing it today though, I think I can say that this game will have some depth. At this point I can't see it having NEARLY as much depth as Brawl but it will have some depth. I've gotten better today but I can easily see someone picking up the game, spending some time with it, and catching up to me in 2+ days. Which, I have no problem with because that's how much I've played the game. What I do have a problem with though, is that I can also see someone picking up this game for a month, and catching up to someone who's played the game for over a year.

Of course I might be (probably am being) too quick to judge again.

Final impressions for Brawl today:
I retract my statement about Snake sucking.
I retract my statement about Ike sucking.
This game will have some depth.
Landing a combo feels good.
This game is fun!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. basically you really can't compare Melee to Brawl as you can't really compare 64 to melee. We all are disciplined or conditioned to play melee. So you have to CHANGE and ADAPT to whatever brawl as to offer.. Back in the day when we all played 64, I think it had a lot of depth too yes?

And ya with only one or 2 days of playing brawl, you really can't know all the advanced things already... I mean do you really expect someone becoming God at Brawl with so little training? haha. And i don't think anyone can catch up to someone THAT experienced Patooty. I guess it all depends about talent or potential or whatever just like in any game. There will be noobs and elites just like it should be. All depends how much you WANT it or how much you really want to get better and crush fools, like me... =P

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
HAHA KAGE IS A FOOL... and i forgot nick's address i shall go get it when hes online today?

O and I wont be able to make the big fat GC cause i Have a cruise to go to on Saturday March 16th in the early morning unless u want the GC to be at my house the day before... :chuckle:

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
PAtooottty i saw a really goooooddd snake playing the other day let me find the link ^^ .
and hopefully we will find more to this game for tourny play.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I agree completely with Kage on Brawl. We don't have the tools for depth in Brawl yet. Yeah, I was about to link to that too Tony. Also you get more frames to DI with how each hit seems to kind of "stop" the action *cough*FALCONANDZELDA*cough*. God I want to do some 1v1 so badly with Brawl. FFAs suck x.x Can't try out attacks at all. ROB is incredibly lame and amazing so far though. I swear to god he can FLY.

The two who had their Wiis yesterday didn't bring it today. Don't bet on it.

unityole

Smash Lord

not taking it offensively, but its true.
who in the world would say CS source take over cs 1.6, he would get laugh at. It's also true that cs 1.6 came out way back, maybe around 9 years ago? source came out like 2-3 years ago, a difference of 7 years.

The number of players still playing the game does not conclude that the game got replaced or not, and cs source/1.6 is a very good example since the outline and everything for both games is very the same, including name and outline of levels and models. Only graphics and minor details are different.

There are people who accept both and theres who only plays 1.6/source, samething. If you like melee more thats great, but I like 64 more and I dont think 64 been replaced thats all.

Metà

Smash Master
Yeah, 'replaced' seems like a strong word to use. I don't think SSB64 has been 'replaced', and I don't think Melee can ever be 'replaced'. Rather, they just get pushed to the side for a bit. I don't like to replace things that give me enjoyment just for the sake of progress, unless it hinders my progress. I've never replaced my old keyboards, because I've spent hours upon hours playing on each of them, so I keep them, because each is unique (in a good way). Same with clarinets; I have 5 clarinets now. XD

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Well, could you ask the people who usually bring it, when they will be bringing it next, and at what time of the day I can get in on the action?

Also, : (
Well, apparently there was one but only at about 3:30. Tomorrow until 9 PM, Friday until 5 PM. On and off. It could be gone at any given time and back. You should text or call before coming, but there's a good chance we'll have it at some point in the day.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Kage is coming to Washington on the 15th of March. We will be having a Gameclucks that weekend. It will be fatter than your average bear, and we are trying to get everyone from BC, EWA, WWA, and OR to attend, and perhaps even some from SoCal. Entry will be 15/10.

For all purposes excluding entry fee, this is a glorified monthly.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
I usually tend to think that with a new console and new game, that usually ends up replacing older games, but to an extent. It is not like the older games aren't played anymore, just not as often. Look at all the capcom games, they are old classic games that have newer version, but people still play the older ones (just not as much though). I think the same will be Brawl, there will be Brawlers and some will play both, some will whatever they want.

Its good to see everyone interested in Brawl, can't wait to play everyone once it is out.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
not taking it offensively, but its true.
who in the world would say CS source take over cs 1.6, he would get laugh at. It's also true that cs 1.6 came out way back, maybe around 9 years ago? source came out like 2-3 years ago, a difference of 7 years.

The number of players still playing the game does not conclude that the game got replaced or not, and cs source/1.6 is a very good example since the outline and everything for both games is very the same, including name and outline of levels and models. Only graphics and minor details are different.

There are people who accept both and theres who only plays 1.6/source, samething. If you like melee more thats great, but I like 64 more and I dont think 64 been replaced thats all.
I'd say CS 1.6 is another example of the community being more divided than moving on. Although that's partly due to CS 1.6's system requirements and price I think. I think that the number of players playing the gaem does conclude whether the game got replaced or not. Again, use the CS example where the players on both don't have a hugely lopsided figure towards one game. Melee is the big boy, 64 was sort of just left on its own. I'm not saying there are people who don't prefer 64, you and I know a few others proves that. But I'd say Melee did replace 64 when looking at the Smash community as a whole.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
Hey, does anyone know if all the controllers got returned today? I realized that I forgot to return mine to the library. It was silver, and didn't have any messed up buttons.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Hey, does anyone know if all the controllers got returned today? I realized that I forgot to return mine to the library. It was silver, and didn't have any messed up buttons.
Someone usually does eventually. But they actually do count the time limit now. 3 hours or they charge. Was it a library controller? For Brawl we were all using controllers from home.

On that note, guys don't bring controllers that only you will be using and not sharing. SFU Surrey is not a tournament. We don't want to be switching out controllers on 1 - 3 systems for a friggin free for all among 16 people.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
No, one of the Brawl controllers was a library one... I hope it's not lost, paying for it would be a nuisance. It was the one that that guy kept switching in and out, actually.

Anyway, I'll probably be there tomorrow and Friday.

unityole

Smash Lord
I'd say CS 1.6 is another example of the community being more divided than moving on. Although that's partly due to CS 1.6's system requirements and price I think. I think that the number of players playing the gaem does conclude whether the game got replaced or not. Again, use the CS example where the players on both don't have a hugely lopsided figure towards one game. Melee is the big boy, 64 was sort of just left on its own. I'm not saying there are people who don't prefer 64, you and I know a few others proves that. But I'd say Melee did replace 64 when looking at the Smash community as a whole.
umm there are probably 5x more players for 1.6 than source.. i mean there are couple million in texas and china just for tournaments, its even bigger than those crazy starcraft leagues in korea...

another good example would be WoW and starcraft, old school starcraft :o
from my perspective, replace would be completely stop playing the game due to the game disappearing or replaced like xbox to xbox360.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
No, one of the Brawl controllers was a library one... I hope it's not lost, paying for it would be a nuisance. It was the one that that guy kept switching in and out, actually.

Anyway, I'll probably be there tomorrow and Friday.
The ones switching were Camerican and LysanderBlack on this forum I believe. You could ask them?

dieslow

Smash Ace
after hours of playing brawl..

its still fun. its fun using the different type of characters, nobody is really the same at all. Marth is definitely the best character IMO. online is fun even though u can feel the lag. if u've played mario strikers online, it feels like that.

Top Bottom