• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
umm there are probably 5x more players for 1.6 than source.. i mean there are couple million in texas and china just for tournaments, its even bigger than those crazy starcraft leagues in korea...

another good example would be WoW and starcraft, old school starcraft :o
from my perspective, replace would be completely stop playing the game due to the game disappearing or replaced like xbox to xbox360.
Um, there's only one Starcraft game. Warcraft III has replaced Warcraft II and Warcraft. World of Warcraft is an MMORPG, not an RTS. CS I already listed as an exception.

unityole

Smash Lord
I usually tend to think that with a new console and new game, that usually ends up replacing older games, but to an extent. It is not like the older games aren't played anymore, just not as often. Look at all the capcom games, they are old classic games that have newer version, but people still play the older ones (just not as much though). I think the same will be Brawl, there will be Brawlers and some will play both, some will whatever they want.

Its good to see everyone interested in Brawl, can't wait to play everyone once it is out.
some capcom games own, i remmebered Rush a racing game where there are weapons and stuff, and spawn in the demon's hand :o great ****

still wondering why they would take out z/l cancel in brawl.. and no dashdancing means if you run in 1 direction, the character always has to decelerate before turning around?

Um, there's only one Starcraft game. Warcraft III has replaced Warcraft II and Warcraft. World of Warcraft is an MMORPG, not an RTS. CS I already listed as an exception.
actually theres the sc and sc expansion, more units and more maps!, wc3 is a different game, exactly. just as 64 and melee are different. can't replace if its different game now can we :) melee has more moves, more characters and more levels.. quite close to sc and sc expansion

Patooty

Smash Ace
replace would be completely stop playing the game due to the game disappearing or replaced like xbox to xbox360.
actually theres the sc and sc expansion, more units and more maps!, ... just as 64 and melee are different. can't replace if its different game now can we :) melee has more moves, more characters and more levels.. quite close to sc and sc expansion

Quote one argument: A+B replaces A
Quote two argument: A+B doesn't replace A cause they're different.

?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Melee is a sequel, not an expansion pack. I still think you're just being defensive about how you prefer 64 to Melee >_>;; You can prefer an older game to a newer. Competitively speaking, the fanbase usually migrates to the newer game and the old one usually gets replaced.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
I've seen a lot of people complaining about the loss of "all the advanced techniques." Doesn't anyone think there'll be new advanced techniques surfacing? I mean, I doubt people were wavedashing so soon after the release of melee. I for one am excited to find something new before the internet tells me about it :) And then I'll be the one to pick the weird, unintuitive name for it!

dieslow

Smash Ace
i'll bet money there wont be ADV techniques that changed the game the way it did to melee. there will be some of course, but how effective will they be? not likely to be game breaking.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
**** it, I left another controller behind! I gotta start drinking more coffee or something...

It is silver and says "Geoff" on it. Please, someone, hang on to it and bring it back tomorrow if you get this.

unityole

Smash Lord
bah anyway just got better from my cold, what a relief. feels all better now.
hopefully wont catch a 2nd one. gg

another notice now would be nice, so here it is:
NOTE TO ALL MELEERS out there, we are still accepting 3, 5 people max for the SFU tournament melee/64 tournament next saturday which is on the 16th. so far we have,

AIDS
Meta
NoobKing
BluntedObject
Patooty
Tuan
Bwmat
Omgitswill
SpaceFalcon
Travis

Not so sure about GenesisFTW, Quinn and Crackhead. Crackhead said to apply for 64 only but I believe that hes a meleer, maybe he meant both!? :O But in all, I assume they are coming, Genesisftw for melee, Crackhead - what he said, which was 64.

theres the list, so bit more would make a nice melee tourney. of course there are people playing in both so there are still couple of spots open for anyone who ONLY wants to be here for melee!

of course if you're here for 64, its also fine to join melee :D and theres pizza for 64 singles too!

let me know as soon as possible so I can fill you guys in.
as for 64, not that many are interested, around 15-20 players present for the tournament. hopefully more =)

ps. also I would need help from you guys for the GC setups, we'll talk more about it next week? let me know if you can bring TV/GC, GC controller is a must... thanks

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is fun.
Pretty cool how we're still hosting melee tournaments in the lower mainland.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I've seen a lot of people complaining about the loss of "all the advanced techniques." Doesn't anyone think there'll be new advanced techniques surfacing? I mean, I doubt people were wavedashing so soon after the release of melee. I for one am excited to find something new before the internet tells me about it :) And then I'll be the one to pick the weird, unintuitive name for it!
It's just mostly stupid kids in the Brawl Discussion forum. Here's how Melee was in 2002:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O-xSNzYqHGg
Nothing like Melee now. Brawl is a lot different from Melee, but that doesn't mean it won't be a competitive game or have any of its own techniques. Someone's already found an interesting application of how the forces work in this game with regards to TLink/ZSS/ICs/some others' d-air.

**** it, I left another controller behind! I gotta start drinking more coffee or something...

It is silver and says "Geoff" on it. Please, someone, hang on to it and bring it back tomorrow if you get this.
Hm I saw that one. I thought you were coming back or something and that's why it was still there. Go to the library and ask them if anyone returned a controller that has "Geoff" on it. I once left my 360 controller there and someone had returned it to the library even though there was no barcode.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
There could be at any given time but I won't be there. No school so I can't verify for you. There was Brawl today from about 2:30 - 7:30 at least.

unityole

Smash Lord
I'm interested- What time and what place is it?
its at Burnaby SFU campus on the 16th, next saturday

NOTE

another 2 so spots were taken away by omgitswill's friends who will also be here for melee tourney. right now the tourney size is around 12-15 which is quite big, include the ones who also participating in the 64 tourney.

I will take in maybe 1 or 2 more Melee ONLY player for only melee.
there are reserved spots for certain people, pm me or post here for more details.

unityole

Smash Lord
**Only a week away, heres the info, similar post like this should also be under tournament listing, but its much harder to find**

We want to expand our community and you can help us grow by just showing up and play ! This will be on the Feb 16th, yay another Saturday =O and once again it is on SFU campus, Engineering lounge.

As expected, there will be SSB64 and Melee. We will have people arrive at 10-11 am and start as soon as possible, 11 am / noon so hopefully we can end it early.

Events:
- Melee Singles Tournament + Doubles?
- SSB64 Singles + Doubles

Prizes:
Melee Singles - $10 per player, best of 3, 4 stocks no item, double elimination, time 8 minutes. Pot % 70/20/10.
Melee Doubles? - $10 per team, best of 3, 4 stocks no item, double elimination, time 8 minutes. Pot % 70/20/10.
SSB64 Doubles - $6 / team, best of 5 games, 5 stocks no item, team attack ON, single elimination. Pot % 80/20
SSB64 Singles - $5 / player, best of 5 games, 5 stocks no item, double elimination. Pot % 70/20/10.

All above are seeded accordingly through pool/round robin.
All finals are best of 7 games

Rules:
- Stage / Character counterpick rule, ranked by seeds.
- If the game was ever to freeze, the match will be restarted despite the remaining stocks of both players, unless there was a clear winner.
- Stages banned are Yoshi's Island, Saffron City and Mushroom Kingdom due to cloud, piller and edge camp.
- For Melee, I'll leave it to the veteran.. all the regulars, banned stages, bug abuse etc... (rules will be from the 1st page of BC Canada Thread, the standards)

Our Equipments:
3 Setups for SSB64, 1 setup for Melee. Cheap snack food and pop machine!

Map/ Directions:
Skytrain to Production Way station, take bus #145.

Events will take place in engineering lounge just like last time.

Others:
**Our lounge ain't that big, if you're here only for the melee tournament, I would ask no more than 16 players here just for melee. Of course, if you're here for both, its totally fine :)
(please do realize that abusing this would lead to of me asking some people to leave/ go home, just PM me in advance, you do have 3 weeks...)

Controllers will be provided for SSB64. It is required to bring a controller for yourself if participating in Melee. You are welcome to bring another Melee setup as the tournament will run more smoothly =)

**I will be honest. I am going to purchase food / snack such as pizza / chips but since I am such a big fan of SSB64 and also because of Melee as a smaller event, only the players who join SSB64 singles may have free pizza :o, unless prepayed.

Any other details, just ask me in person or post under the thread, I will get back to it as soon as possible.

Finally, YES THIS EVENT include both Melee and SSB64, NO BRAWL YET.

UPDATES

Players confirmed
Unityole
Wayne
MSC
Jeremy
Stephen
Tuan
Panda
Gavin
Meta
xXx_NoobKing_xXx
Blunted_object10
Bwmat
AIDS
omgitswill (and 2-3 of his friends)
Spacefalcon
Patooty
Crackhead
Josh
Kuinn
Travis
Willy
Anthony
Hitsugaya

Players unconfirmed
Holyman
Kham
- (his cusins' friends)
Genesis FTW
Prince Loki
Rip the Jacker

64 ers
Anthony
Blunted_Object10
Bwmat
Crackhead
Gavin
Jeremy
Josh
Meta
MSC
Panda
Quinn
Stephen
Tuan
Unityole
Wayne
Willy
xXx_NoobKing_xXx

Melee ers
AIDS
Blunted_object10
Bwmat
Crackhead
Genesis FTW
Hitsugaya
Meta
Omgitswill
- (2-3 of his friends)
Patooty
Spacefalcon
Travis
Tuan
xXx_NoobKing_xXx

There seem to be just enough players, not too much and not too little.
So there should be a Melee double.

unityole

Smash Lord
unitoyle do you have a suply list handy?
supply list, not sure what that is but
we got only 64 setups here.
out of the ppl from SFU probably only Meta and Bwmat can bring their TVs, 64 and GC console
since We would need 3 setups for each type of game, means one of those TV would go to 64 and thats a given, so I have 3 setups for 64 confirmed.

As for melee, either matt's TV or evan's TV would go to the melee one, assuming they are coming and bringing their supplies. 1 GC system, game from Evan. thats ONLY 1 Melee setup.

need 2 more melee setups.
for the people that are coming please help out, it doesn't hurt to have 4 setups.

unityole

Smash Lord
If you have room for 1 more melee count me in for a setup as well.
I was also suppose to team with crackhead.

didnt hear it from crackhead :o suppose there wasnt suppose to be a tournament for double.
Hitsugaya confirmed!

the setup includes a TV as well right?, or just the GC and game setup..?

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
I'll see, depending on the weather.
Count me in, i'll bring my wii if necessary.

****. i played a total of 14 hours of brawl last night. almost unlocked all the chars.. almost....

ANYWAYS.
DID ERIC post up my ssbx thing today? i'm hosting it at my house, but if you are coming to confirm,
CALL ME 778-388-3135. I do not accept any people who just show up. I haven't been in the smash scene since tear+j, and honestly, i dont' know who's out there and what not.

778-388-3135, call is the key.

NOTE: I'll be leaving to go to work at 6 PM, so you guys would all have to clear the house by 5:30. I"m heading over to metro, so if you want a ride, let me know beforehand.

-Nick

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I can make it to the tournament at that time (I'm gunning for solo melee), but I noticed I wasn't in any of your lists of confirmed or not-yet confirmed and someone has since been accepted to the "very full" tournament. Does that mean that I'm getting the shaft?

unityole

Smash Lord
Yeah, I can make it to the tournament at that time (I'm gunning for solo melee), but I noticed I wasn't in any of your lists of confirmed or not-yet confirmed and someone has since been accepted to the "very full" tournament. Does that mean that I'm getting the shaft?
right now the list is full, i'll have you and nick on hold for now.
still trying to see how everything is gonna fit into the room here so right now i cant do anything. but theres still a week left tho, i'll let you guys know soon, and i'll see if i can figure out stuff and sort em out

AIDS

Smash Lord
ok ill bring a GC, we all know to bring our own controllers, and i plan to bring two VCR's for SSBM recordings

someone hasto suply TV's for the SSBM set ups though

and unitoyle can you please list all the events and the prices for each of them?

unityole

Smash Lord
ok ill bring a GC, we all know to bring our own controllers, and i plan to bring two VCR's for SSBM recordings

someone hasto suply TV's for the SSBM set ups though

and unitoyle can you please list all the events and the prices for each of them?

everything should be in the tournament thread, prizes, rules and events.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=138102

3 setups of 64 confirmed, 1 melee setup from matt/evan, 1 setup from blunted_object confirmed!

Top Bottom