• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The " Awesome Video Games that you think people need to play" Thread

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
While this thread is similar to our Top Ten Best video game thread(found here), this is more of a recommendation thread for people who are looking for a game to play whether it's a classic, new and underrated, your personal game reviews, your favorite game or looking for something in a specific genre.

With that said, I'll start it.

Legend Of Legaia <---click there for awesome

and also here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8mUlfV5mIs

Not many people know about this game, but it has to be one of the most unique experiences I've have had in an JRPG. Mostly in the battle system.

For people who have never even heard of this series:

It's a turn based system the involves putting character inputs a command for each character, then select baddies, and then confirm. Sounds like most turn based rpgs, right? Well the twist here is that instead of simple commands like attack, magic etc, your attack is broken down into inputs that are pre-selected forexample>----high and low kicks as well as left and rights, which includes super combos and ultras similar to traditional fighting games and can deal ******** amounts of damaging when done correctly. The magic in game revolves around summoning certain magic monsters that you have fought and possessing them with a life force on the characters arm called a RA-Seru.

The music and graphics are pretty damn good for it's time, but of you're like me, then the meat is always in the gameplay with a good story(i'll be honest the story is not nearly as good as the game play :)

Speaking of which, this game is very ****ing unforgiving. It's def one of those RPGs where if you don't buy that water ring and then you make it all the way to the water based attack boss without it, you're ****ed. lol

Fun Fact: The famous Melee Peach player Cort got his name from this game :)

Another underrated greatness

Beyond Good and Evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBO0RgR1H4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGcol6ZYQh8

If you're into Action Adventure, then this game is a must!! If that isn't your thing, this game is still a must play!!

It always breaks my heart when I see this game in the bargain bin and the main reason it was so overlooked was because it was released around a bad time(iirc around one of the long awaited prince of Persia games -.-)

This game offers everything a great that the Action Adventure genre has and so much more. It combines many other types of gameplay elements and it does an amazing job of mixing it up. Most notably the stealth game play and photography since the main character is is a journalist. When you play BG&E, it will give you a slight feel of Zelda since the majority of the time you'll actually doing most of your exploring will be in puzzle based dungeons and imo they rival even some of Zelda's best designed dungeons

The graphics are way above average for it's time and still looks good even now. I liked they sense of art direction the developers chose to use and the music is also top notch and the developers did an awesome job of matching the music to fit each theme of the game. :)

The story is also very well done. I'm not going to comment on it though so you'll just have to play and find out. lol

The only thing I remember that I didn't not particularly like about this game was that it was too short. It's like about 11 hours and a bit more with the few side quests.

So you should pick this is up of get the the HD version on xbox live. You won't be disappointed :)

Panzer Bandit

http://youtu.be/fB0zfkln1YU

This game is a ****ing beast beat em up! Once you play, you'll get that Guardian Heroes feel to it, but if you haven't played GH, then I dunno what to say, bro. I's easy to compare the two games however if I were to be more clear on how this game plays out, Id put it like this: If Guadian Heroes is the "Smash Bros + MVC 2" of beat um up, then Panzer Bandit is the "Street Fighter + Marvel" of beat em ups. This is because GH uses a similar battle system like smash where player moves are performed depening on the direction of your movement such as tilt attacks. Even though there are no "Smash attacks with the same button, there is another button that pretty much works the exact same way. In Panzer bandit, the characters' attacks are based mostly on inputs that are pretty much like street fighter. Not much explanation there. The Marvel feel comes from the amount of crazy (air)combos you can perform and the amount of stuff going on in game at once.

I haven't met any one who has played this game besides my cousin and my friend Kurt. Speaking of Kurt, I'll let him add more detailed info:

http://hardcoregaming101.net/panzerbandit/panzerbandit.htm

"Panzer Bandit is essentially a Final Fight-style brawler, though everything controls more like a 2D fighter. You have two primary attacks (weak and strong), and a variety of Street Fighter-esque motions will perform flying flips, fireballs and whatever other special moves your character may have (and in case you're not adept enough, most of the speciality attacks are mapped to the extra buttons on the controller.) Even the bulkiest of characters are relatively agile, allowing you to super jump, double jump, dash, and essentially fly around the whole screen, tossing enemies into another and otherwise tearing new holes in everything. Hitting the trigger buttons will send your character leaping back and forth inbetween planes. There's also the usual power meter, which can unleash a super attack when charged up enough. And as natural for games of this type, you can choose to smash bad guys with a buddy by your side. It's all reasonably simple, but a total blast to play.

Panzer Bandit throws a lot at you at one time, but never quite reaches the epic chaos that Guardian Heroes sometimes threw at you. While at times the game doesn't quite feel busy enough, it also doesn't overwhelm you to the point that you can't see what you're doing. Whoever said the Playstation couldn't do 2D must've been making **** up, because Panzer Bandit, a 1997 title, proves them otherwise. While the foreground is polygonal, everything else are fully detailed, well-animated sprites. Even though the camera is constantly zooming in and out as you jump or switch between planes, the graphics stay fairly clear and never become the pixelated mess usually associated with scaling effects. The music is your typical catchy Capcom-style pop cheese that would feel right at home in a Mega Man game, which is actually a very, very good thing.

This being a side-scrolling brawler, Panzer Bandit is somewhat repetitive by nature. The fact that you're really only fighting the same two or three guys over and over doesn't really help the issue. So by the time you hit the eighth and final level, and you need to refight all of the old bosses, Panzer Bandit almost does begin to wear out its welcome. In spurts, however, Panzer Bandit is elegant in all of its bone-smashing simplicity, leading to some of the most button-mashing fun you're likely to find. Alas, this being Japanese only, you're unlikely to find this without paying a bit of a price."

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Definitely the Mystical Ninja series (specifically Goemon's Great Adventure):

Gameplay

[yt]QrjlrcZvIE4[/yt]

Music

[yt]qFZRm_I2OkE[/yt]

A very overlooked gem in the N64 library, and the series is quite popular overseas. If you like platforming (and humor) you'll probably like Goemon for that and its music. This game is hilarious, even the game over screen is funny. It's challenging enough, and will have you searching many hidden places. It'll take you a while to complete everything in it as well.

Oh and it has multiplayer and that's super fun. The characters are all fun to use and memorable.

Knock yourselves out.

M@v

Subarashii!
^ I never finished it(rented it). Great game though and I do want to play it again someday :)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I know right? It's an amazing series. If anyone can get a copy of ANY of the games they deserve a high five.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver <-- Click here

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is an action-adventure game developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Eidos Interactive. It was released for the PlayStation and Microsoft Windows in 1999 and for the Dreamcast in 2000. As the second game in the Legacy of Kain series, Soul Reaver is the sequel to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Soul Reaver was followed by three games, one of which, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2, is a direct sequel.

Taking place 1500 years after the events of Blood Omen, Soul Reaver chronicles the journey of the vampire-turned-wraith Raziel, lieutenant to the vampire lord Kain. Raziel is killed by Kain, but is revived by The Elder God to become his "soul reaver" and to exact revenge. Raziel shares this title with Kain's sword, Soul Reaver, which he acquires during the game.

Crystal Dynamics began development of the game in 1997, but a deteriorating relationship with Silicon Knights, who had developed Blood Omen, created legal problems. This and other delays forced material originally planned for Soul Reaver to be instead released with later games of the series. Soul Reaver was generally well received by critics and praised for its intriguing gothic story and high-quality graphics, however, the game was criticized for simple and repetitive gameplay and an unsatisfying climax. The game is included on Sony's "Greatest Hits" list, and was re-released on the PlayStation Network in 2009.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I know right? It's an amazing series. If anyone can get a copy of ANY of the games they deserve a high five.
omg my friend marty picked up Legend of Legaia for like 5 bux at this one game store and he didn't even know what kinda game it was. He got it from store that was closing and just selling stuff for dirt cheap. I went to his house and was like WTF IS DOING HERE AND HOW DID YOU GET IT?!

Mooney for another epic post!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
This thread! This feeling in my chest! Nostalgia.

9 hours; 9 persons; 9 doors

Definitely on my Top 10 games list. Severely underplayed and underrated due to being released on the DS and being less of the traditional gaming types.

Not an oldie, but definitely a goodie. If you enjoy the feeling of a video game ensnaring you into the storyline and forcing you to stay up 'till 4 am on a school night then this a must play.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master

Like Metroidvanias? This one is pretty simple but it's also pretty fun and has a lot of customization in how you want to play it, kind of reminds me of Mega Man too. Highly recommended for fans of the genre.

I gotta try a lot of these games, especially Legacy of Kain.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer

Gladius was a tactical, grid based role playing game centered around a Gladiator school. Came out in 2003 and I quite literally didn't know any one else that played it. God knows the amount of hours I wasted on this game, slowly perfecting my team (Minotaurs were just too damn good). Attacks weren't just about positioning, but also used wing meters and button combinations to deal max damage. If you like turn based strategy and antiquity, there is no better game.

The original Snowboard Kidz. Bought it on a whim for a good report card gift since I had good vibes from the box art. Went to bed at 3 AM that night. The control, music (still stuck in my head to this day), items, tracks were all top notch and the art style was very endearing. And of course you always had that friend who would save his parachute for the big jump on Silver Mountain and literally make you waste 30 seconds. The game also had rubber band AI and cheated like hell which was both super annoying and made races always adrenaline rushed. Great little game.

The only good thing to ever come from that abysmal movie. I absolutely loved this game. The tracks were so fast, the handling tight and, if you had two controllers, could race using one in each hand like you were actually a pod racer. Ben Quadrinaros or whatever his name was was way too good as a character, but regardless the game was incredibly well rounded and fun.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
now i have to play Gladius. need to find an xbox first haha

Edit @below: Fight Night is boss. I wish more of my friends played it :)

Waba

Smash Apprentice
Legend of Legaia: Great game that I never finished :( story of my RPG game life, haha...

I would like to input some of my favorite games from different genres that I feel are 'Must Play' FUN *** GAMES imho:

Arcade Racing: Burnout Revenge (Xbox 360)
Sports/Fighting: Fight Night Round 3 (PS3, Xbox 360)
Retro Action: Gunstar Heroes (Genesis)
Puzzle: Columns 3 (Genesis)

These are awesome because they are multi-player, have depth, and FUN for beginners to pros :)
So many more games I could go on and on, but I'll leave you guys to post all the others :)

Have FUN!

Moses.

Smash Journeyman

I used to love this game. I definitely rented it enough times to have purchased it at least twice. It had a lot of depth, and the storyline was pretty great. Also, I just love the art and graphics.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Pretty much the only game on my personal "must play" list:

Intro video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl3ZwERMgE

Classic turn-based RPG feel, with some nice unique twists of its own. Enjoyable story. Lovable characters. Very unique setting. I have yet to find a game that invokes such a feeling of adventure and exploration since I first played it 12 years ago.

Plus there's it's pretty much confirmed that it's coming to XboxLive/Playstation Network soon. :)

Nite

Smash Champion
One of my favorite RPGs. Good gameplay. Good music. This game is pure sex. Play it.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i've been wanting to play that legend of dragoon game for a while

you guys ever heard of .hack// or w/e it's called

i started playing the first game a couple of days ago and the concept is pretty cool and the gameplay ain't bad either

haven't played much of it but i totally think people should play it

it's for the ps2

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

2D side scroller made by ENIX...that's all I got, it was just really fun and clever.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Legend of the Dragoon was ballin. I remember getting it and was like "What?!? 4 CDs? I'll never finish this." Oh, and Chrono Cross.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman

2D side scroller made by ENIX...that's all I got, it was just really fun and clever.

I second this game
definitely fun and clever and unique, if i recall correctly... back when i was like 12 yrs old lol
Rented it plenty of times

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I found a copy of Rock & Roll Racing last year. I was ecstatic.
Have all Interplay Genesis games now.

Laijin

Smash Hero

Hands down. The BEST rpg ever created(or at least from what i've played in my lifetime). I've finished the game like 10 times and I can still go back and read stuff about it, things I didn't notice in the game before. The story, battle system, everything...so good.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Another underrated greatness

Beyond Good and Evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBO0RgR1H4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGcol6ZYQh8

If you're into Action Adventure, then this game is a must!! If that isn't your thing, this game is still a must play!!

It always breaks my heart when I see this game in the bargain bin and the main reason it was so overlooked was because it was released around a bad time(iirc around one of the long awaited prince of Persia games -.-)

This game offers everything a great that the Action Adventure genre has and so much more. It combines many other types of gameplay elements and it does an amazing job of mixing it up. Most notably the stealth game play and photography since the main character is is a journalist. When you play BG&E, it will give you a slight feel of Zelda since the majority of the time you'll actually doing most of your exploring will be in puzzle based dungeons and imo they rival even some of Zelda's best designed dungeons

The graphics are way above average for it's time and still looks good even now. I liked they sense of art direction the developers chose to use and the music is also top notch and the developers did an awesome job of matching the music to fit each theme of the game. :)

The story is also very well done. I'm not going to comment on it though so you'll just have to play and find out. lol

The only thing I remember that I didn't not particularly like about this game was that it was too short. It's like about 11 hours and a bit more with the few side quests.

So you should pick this is up of get the the HD version on xbox live. You won't be disappointed :)

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
CT is good but i dunno about greatest rpg of all time. Maybe if it was harder. imo of course :)

Xenogears is like #12 on my top games of all time :)

Top Bottom