• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Art of War - An SSBB Marth combo vid by Kadaj

clowsui

Smash Legend
i haven't faced them personally?

i'd prefer not to talk about high lvl players' styles (esp. for characters i don't main) unless i've:

a. watched a lot of videos of them
b. played them personally
c. both a. and b.

the only "pro" people i've played are judge, lain, overswarm (if he counts, lol), az, mikehaze, and tyrant (mike and tyrant at cgc x, except tyrant i played in a 4forall and mike sandbagged me but then ***** me as soon as i started biting off his edgeguards in the match and taking the lead)

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I liked it. You used REDEMPTION, it reminds me of my 1st year of highschool!
The ending was funny, to think that Candy fell for it twice, hahaha.

Hope you'll put up a new combo video soon, because it has kind of old stunts in there (not like it's a bad thing though).

I loved the editing! Especially when the camera moves around in the yoshi stage at the beginning.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
He has two projectiles that can't be used in rapid succession and Marth's mobility can't exactly permit ROB to keep him at bay effectively.

His ftilt isn't safe because of frame data. It's very similar to DK's.
the main problem with rob's projectile is the speed of the gyro and ability to cancel it + it remains on the stage unable to be grabbed for a short period of time

His ftilt is much better vs marth than ****ing dk's man WTF get that **** out of here

i'm not willing to explain why i think rob wins because it should be obvious, and im lazy

you even suggesting marth has the upper hand shows your tardness

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I'm sort of going to agree with neo on this. At SNES I played a tonnnnn of games with NLs ROB. Rob just has so many options against Marth -_-

And he wasn't even camping me a lot of the time ._.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I never said Marth wins at all, kadaj did. but we both agree rob doesn't win more than 55 45, most likely even

the ftilt isnt safe on block neo

and pd wtf?

ninjalink's skill level is here >< and your over here................................................................................. ><

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I never said Marth wins at all, kadaj did. but we both agree rob doesn't win more than 55 45, most likely even

the ftilt isnt safe on block neo

and pd wtf?

ninjalink's skill level is here >< and your over here................................................................................. ><
wtf you haven't played me in months lol. NL is better obv but even then I can see how ROB can **** Marth if he knows the MU. I was still pretty much getting him to one stock every time >.>

Maybe it was just NL but he was doing crazy **** like ledgedrop bair to hit me OUT of my up b ._.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
and pd wtf?

lmao this made me laugh :laugh: Im not fueling the fire tho

but yeah I was playing a rob earlier today like i dont see how rob wins honestly I can see the match being even but nothing more than that. Plus what you mean rob's f tilt is better than dk's rob's comes out what maybe one frame faster and the cool down time is relatively the same his arm is just a smaller hurt box and can be angled better up wards or down wards

rob has some good options and can compete with marth but saying rob wins is mad stupid for one he has a hard time killing if he doesnt get a gimp, why? because all of his kill moves are obvious as hell. and the ones that arent are the ones where would have to run into it to get hit

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Im still curious as to why Neo is hell bent on rob beating marth. Could it be because your set vs NinjaLink?
I watched it but it looked like you ran into alot of his moves and did attacks in some situations that you shouldnt have like fair after being and or while falling down so you can keep him away from the ledge

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
R.O.B Marth is pretty even. Ftilt isnt safe on block and his dtilt gets outranged, his laser is too slow and easily predicted, top is a nice tool for him but eh its not a huge issue. R.O.B gets juggled so easily as well as ledge trapped. its in no way R.O.Bs advantage. It may be Neo's style that causes him trouble in the match up.

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy playing ROBs

On the video, the gameplay was nice and all... and I had already seen some of the footage before...
But the quality of it, wasn't too happy with it. I didn't really like the editing too much either.
That's probably just me being used to watching CoD4 Frag Movies though.
Something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyxVzAwtNE

Epic video editing. Yours should be like that.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Uh Marth vs Rob...ROB definately wins. I'll keep it concise

-ROB outcamps Marth. Yeah Marth is agile enough to get around those things, but if rob can use projectiles like Holy does, he'll definately force you into a bad position many times. I won't get into specifics about what Holy does to effectively zone Marth because I'm not going to give away his information

-ftilt trades with forward air, then add that on to rob living til 200% because Marth can't kill him

-Rob's nair can trade too, thats definately not a favorable trade

-for ledge crap, Rob wins, he can just sit there and laser and gyro until you back off

-forward air out of shield can punish a shff fair

-Rob can escape being above Marth by using his gay up b to float over to the ledge

How the match works is rob will just sit there and wait for Marth to swing + trade and punish, and tbh Marth can match the damage somewhat....but the real problem is killing

ROB lives til 200, hes not gimpable like Dedede so its definately 200. You're not killing him til minimum 170...that was probably my lowest kill on Holy in friendlies we had a while back.

As for Rob's kill moves, if you shield, you can get stabbed by neutral air or back air. Marth is also subject to being gimped...but that doesn't happen much so I don't really see it as a weakness - but it can happen

edit: sorry for contributing to the derailment of this thread lol

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
edit: sorry for contributing to the derailment of this thread lol
Aye boi you listen and you listen well, I made this thread... do you know what that means? That means there will be the following: off topic spam, me censor dodging, steel post editing, and more off topic spam.

Socializing welcomed xD!
this IS kadaj's thread, so I assume that the same rules apply, don't worry about it :laugh:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I've played Holy's rob in person before, he wasnt living til 200% matter of fact he was dieing at around 100-120 each stock, you're doing something wrong. The only feasible way rob has to kill on marth is through gimping, and if he saves his nair.

I suggest you look into the up b thing, because rob is extremely vunerable during it, he cant air dodge out of it til he attacks, use that to your advantage.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Nice Kadaj, i like that you put in the redemption song. Heard that in FF7 Direge of Cerberus and thought it was pretty awesome. Opening was sexy as well. Nice job

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol.

Heh this thread's been getting out of topic XD.

Again, good video kadaj :)

Btw, did you purposefully block out the %'s sometimes or was that just the way you recorded them?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Ok since im here i'll explain stuff.

Kadaj u were losing to my rob also so i dont wanna hear it lol. The matchup is indeed even. Both characters can punish the other very greatly in different situations. I play the technical speedy rob something most ppl are NOT gonna be used to. I utilize the gyro in many ways. But why is this in this thread loool

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
kadaj even copies neo's style when it comes to thread-making, that's why this is in this thread. haha

nice combo vid, btw, short and sweet, just how i like 'em ;)

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Ok since im here i'll explain stuff.

Kadaj u were losing to my rob also so i dont wanna hear it lol. The matchup is indeed even. Both characters can punish the other very greatly in different situations. I play the technical speedy rob something most ppl are NOT gonna be used to. I utilize the gyro in many ways. But why is this in this thread loool
We will play again at pound 4

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ROB vs. Marth is slightly in ROBs favor. It is incredibly in ROBs favor on stages like Delfino and Halberd where he can recover through the stage as well as on stages with multiple ledges like Japes or Norfair.

For Marth to win, he needs to over-b a lot, juggle a lot, and edgeguard more aggressively than he's used to.

ROB can't air dodge out of his up+b and has an incredibly slow fall speed, so double jumping off stage and fairing him then returning to the stage still gives you time to juggle him with a u-air upon his decent. If you time it properly, it becomes very difficult for ROB to land. The only way to gimp ROB is to dair him or hit him until his fuel runs out, so you probably won't get many of those.

If ROB ever hits your shield with a fair, nair, bair, dair, f-tilt, f-smash, or u-smash, you can punish him with over-b. At worst, the ROB will space correctly on some of the moves and you'll hit his shield (you guys know what to do in that situation, you shouldn't be punished harshly if at all). By simply running into ROB and shielding the moment ROB jumps, you eliminate his spacing options. ALL of ROBs aerials are punishable, and severely so.

ROB can't approach in this matchup at all. Your main approach should be walking slowly while powershielding projectiles or short hop air dodging through them if you have trouble PSing. Once you put ROB next to the edge of the stage, there isn't much he can do that is safe. You can now punish all his projectiles and can simply wait for him to move, then punish.

When ROB is falling, his falling speed is so slow that he can't do much at all. You can juggle him with u-airs easily, even if he's air dodging, and if you can get behind him you can do a rising nair through his air dodge and hit him with a fair. If you are in front of him, a spaced bair will force an air dodge then you get a free fair (or if ROB is in perfect position, aerial shield breaker).

ROB can really dish out the damage to Marth if he gets his combos going and Marth has to rely on chip damage via juggling and fairing off stage, so you can easily lose momentum in this match... especially since ROB can gimp you and you can't reliably gimp him (ROB has an auto-meteor cancel, so dair doesn't work unless they aren't expecting it anyways). As such, you have to be really careful about getting KOs when opportunity arises.

Whenever ROB throws out a nair when recovering, it's a free tippered nair for you if you're in the right position. At the very least you get a nair or fair on him. When he starts the nair, wait for the fire to start in front of him, then immediately jump and hit him with your nair at the peak of your jump. He shouldn't have time to air dodge if timed properly.

If ROB does a reverse nair, forget it. The hitbox ends behind him, he will air dodge and your only bet is to hit him out of that (keep in mind he can no longer fair if he's facing away from you).

ROB can also be easily KO'd and damaged when he's on the ledge. If he jumps and shoots a projectile, you can powershield and hit him back. If he jumps off stage and shoots a projectile, go back into edgeguarding mode. All of ROB's getup options are extremely slow, so if you space yourself to outrange his fair, you can be reactionary to every one of ROB's traditional ledge options. ROB can still clip a gyro onto the stage and then get up on top of it, booster through you with a fair, jump and air dodge onto the stage and d-smash, and other things like that but they are just harder to punish, not unpunishable.

ROB's projectile game is relentless, but if you keep your cool you shouldn't take much damage. Just focus on shielding.

If ROB is hitting your shield with a gyro, he's doing it on purpose. It chips away at your shield and he shield pokes with lasers. DI your shield town and towards you so this can't happen, or simply jump and air dodge to avoid projectiles. If you are patient, you can grab the opposing ledge and plank until he decides to get on the stage.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Do we need to re discuss R.O.B? lol

I like most of what Os says about the match up except his slight nod to rob... I've already written like an essay on this MU and won't do another unless its in a semi-proper thread :p

Now how 'bout that video?

clowsui

Smash Legend
os posted what marth had to do to win on my request

it's a losing matchup because brawl is in its nature defensive and you can't force rob to approach you other than by a percentage lead, which he can make up through chip damage w/ gyro and laser and safe pokes. furthermore you killing him offstage is a pain in the *** since you have to put some mad tricks on him to put him in the traps that even let you try and get a ko move on him, otherwise you just put damage on him, and him killing you is sometimes just a matter of a well-placed laser, esp. on bf. he can also ledge trap you real bad like 99% of the cast in this game

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Did you just say chip damage with gyro, lasers + pokes? wtf lol

But Rob played the right way is just a little better than fighting Dedede lol

Top Bottom