• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Michigan Smash Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
100 isn't a lot of people. A billion is a lot of people. Learn to math, guy. Aren't you asian? I thought you guys were supposed to be good at math.
Well, considering most local tourneys don't exceed 32 people, and 100 is over three times that, I'd say 100 is a lot. 1,000,000,000 is over 9000.

Also, Diddy 4 Brawl.

Firebrand713

Smash Apprentice
I wasnt going to say anything, but you guys have forced my hand.

Planet X is researching getting something huge started for a brawl tourny. 100-200 participants plus.

I know what you are thinking: 100-200 people would never fit inside the store!!! Well, you are absolutely correct. That is why we would be renting out a facility of some kind, like the southfield civic center. If this happened, we would also be offering hotel rooms to our out of state friends.

Nothing is set in stone, as we dont have any petrification abilities. If you want to help collaborate with us, send me a personal message.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
hopefully that doesn't mean ridiculous fees since running large tournaments are NOT meant to be for profit. The smash community hates that (just look at the initial accusations that people had towards the OC3 staff).

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
We should encourage the upper peninsula to start playing some smash- hey i single handedly pulled midland into the game, maybe i can do it again?? btw i'm like 4 hours from the nearest WI smashers, and a good 3.5 hours from the traverse city folks

SCOTU

Smash Hero
hopefully that doesn't mean ridiculous fees since running large tournaments are NOT meant to be for profit. The smash community hates that (just look at the initial accusations that people had towards the OC3 staff).
Quoted for truth. You'd have to use this more as an advertising tool to be like: Hey Nation, Look how cool we are. We started this sh*t, now we're hosting monthly tournaments that you should go to. I can't emphasize enough how much hate Ken and manacloud got for profiteering.

If you decide to hold this tournament, try to make it in the December 21-January 3rd sort of timeline, as it'll be during school break for most participants, and will be just long enough after Brawl's release to have some basics figured out.

Just like I'm always going to suggest for something this early, Make it a dual tournament, Brawl and Melee, that way, you'll get more attendants, and try to get melee players to start being good at brawl.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Blah, I'm going skiing for winter break... Out of curiosity, why does PX take a $5 venue fee for each TOURNEY? It should be a $5 venue fee for entering, then the $10 entry fees for each division, so doubles+singles players don't get extorted for twice as much non-prize cash as the singles or doubles-only players.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
u in wyoming tony? .....

And yeah I'll be back for the winter break I get out the 7th oF Dec I believe so I'll have
brawl before I even come up there

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Blah, I'm going skiing for winter break... Out of curiosity, why does PX take a $5 venue fee for each TOURNEY? It should be a $5 venue fee for entering, then the $10 entry fees for each division, so doubles+singles players don't get extorted for twice as much non-prize cash as the singles or doubles-only players.
That's a very good point. Those who only enter 1 tourney get to be there for just as long (esp if they only enter singles). I'm not really complaining *that* much, since the new policy allows me to not pay venue (in exchange for service).

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
yeah thats proly the main reason im not inclined to go to these

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
yeah thats proly the main reason im not inclined to go to these
Other than your massive "I'm too lazy to even go to a free smashfest two miles away from me" johns?

I return from my vacation. I'm going to be seriously bored for the rest of this Friday, since I don't have work, either. Randy, Dave, whoever, want to play some smash here? I still don't have the game, but I have a Wii now, so you only need the disc and memory card (and controller, of course). Limit two people over for this afternoon/evening.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That would be a possibility for Saturday, when I'm not stuck at home watching my brother.

Also, thanks Anther for keeping the thread updated. Really lessened the work I'd've had to do coming back from Yellowstone.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I hear there's a tournament going down at the AADL Saturday again. I think I'll be going to that because I'll get to play lots and lots of smash.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No entry fee, the prizes are Gamestop gift cards, I think. Technically there's an age limit, but apparently the guy there really doesn't care. If I can't enter I'll just play lots of friendlies, I suppose.

Firebrand713

Smash Apprentice
I cant believe you guys still dont like our venue fees. You are paying for a venue! A place where you can smash and be safe (from the outside world, anyway).

Someone once told me that if you have a dollar and good intentions, you can get a bag of chips. If we charged as little as you want us to, we would go out of business, plain and simple. As it is, we are already going as low as we can go and still do it. So, sorry for trying to survive.

This tourny coming up would cost a great deal, and it would cover venue, food, lodging if nessesary, staff, organizer fee, and pot/prizes. Anyone who holds a giant tourny like that who isnt tring to make money is completely insane. The guy who ran Pound was actually paying OUT OF POCKET to get that going. Are you kidding me? That blows my mind. You think MLG does it out of the kindness of their hearts?

If we go through with this, we would be doing a dual tournament, and possibly an invitational only championships, which you would only be able to get into if you finished top4 or something like that in one of the many flights we would be holding. If you've ever been to a MTG pre-release, it would be kind of like that, setup wise. One big main event, with tons of flights, and a championship at the end. It would be an all weekend deal.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This tourny coming up would cost a great deal, and it would cover venue, food, lodging if nessesary, staff, organizer fee, and pot/prizes. Anyone who holds a giant tourny like that who isnt tring to make money is completely insane. The guy who ran Pound was actually paying OUT OF POCKET to get that going. Are you kidding me? That blows my mind. You think MLG does it out of the kindness of their hearts?
Yes, actually. From what I'm getting, MLG lost quite a bit of money doing their tournaments. You think MLG's tickets were bringing them a profit? $75 a person barely covered the combination of venue and huge prizes at MELEE-FC Diamond.

Oh, and the official word is that Ken and Manacloud in fact did not make money. The **** in Cali was ridiculously expensive, or something. But even then, a ton of people were upset that for their $75, they were basically entering with $25 and paying $50 for the venue. Bear this in mind, Zero. Even if you use all that money paying for venue (You're charging the entrants to pay for staff? Man, and all this time I've been helping out with tourneys for free. I don't think even Arash got any cash for organizing all the brackets and pools at OC-3), you won't get many happy people if the venue fee ends up being greater than the actual money getting put into the prize pool.

As to the venue fee, I'm not upset with its cost so much as its logic. It costs $5 to play in the doubles tourney, it costs $5 to play in the singles tourney, but it's free to be there while not playing in a tourney but still playing on the TVs and Cubes there? If you're charging for the venue, make it make sense at $5 for being in the venue. If you're making money, make it obvious and charge $10; too bad for the people who didn't feel like entering both tourneys.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
...Anyone who holds a giant tourny like that who isnt tring to make money is completely insane. The guy who ran Pound was actually paying OUT OF POCKET to get that going. Are you kidding me? That blows my mind.
see, right here, this is where we are having difficulties...when we think smash, we think fun. we do it because we enjoy smashing, its lots of fun (and some of us make money off of it at the same time!). when you think smash you think business/making profits. smash isnt a business. its a hobby. something you do for fun. not something to squeeze profits from. people set up these tournies with cash from their own pockets for the experience of the whole thing. its that fun to us. apparently you dont see it like that.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
MLG actually does make money. They have large set prizes and usually get really huge turnouts with a set entry fee. If a tournament wasn't well attended, then MLG would actually lose money. However, due how good the tournaments were, they always had amazing attendance. MLG is right to make a profit from this though since they are an organization that earns money entirely from tournamnets, sponsorships, and merchandise. Plus, if i remember correctly, they always provide the TVs and consoles for the tournament and always rent out large venues. FC, OC and pound were independently funded. Their fees come from renting a building for two or three days, feeding a bunch of people, hiring full time security, and renting TVs. Plank lost money from pound 2 due to some poorly managed finances. The idea is that independent smashers host tournaments for the sake of smash rather than as a means to earn x dollars on a given saturday afternoon. However, the fact that you're running a business here and you're letting us use your venue does entitle you to some venue fee. That said, I favor the idea of a $5-10 entrance fee with 10 dollar directly to the winnings pot for each tournament.

RashTuvai

Smash Journeyman
you guys are crazy if you think planetX should host tournies for free. sure... they could be less stingy with the equipment, but if you don't like paying the venue fee... don't go. there are plenty of fee-less* tournies elsewhere.

*travel time and gas not included

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As to the venue fee, I'm not upset with its cost so much as its logic. It costs $5 to play in the doubles tourney, it costs $5 to play in the singles tourney, but it's free to be there while not playing in a tourney but still playing on the TVs and Cubes there? If you're charging for the venue, make it make sense at $5 for being in the venue. If you're making money, make it obvious and charge $10; too bad for the people who didn't feel like entering both tourneys.
rtfp plz thx.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
k nvm what i said about 5th column not coming to aadl, i wont be there so u guys can go and make sure to kick lain and the roysters off the bracket

Levitas

the moon
As of this thurs, I will be able to do anything in Ann Arbor again! Educational Leave of Absence ftw.

Scotu, you never tell me about these things. nvm, I was always working. Freakin 40 hr/week job (always the best chunk of the day, too). And we'll see if I can bump my game up from "meh" 5th column to competitive 5th column this year!

righteous_dude

Smash Rookie
S;St. Louis-righteous_dude-Mario
W;Ann Arbor-righteous_dude-Mario

Hey I suppose this is the best way to introduce myself to the MI smashing community. gonna be a UofM student and I wanna get in the scene... I read the UofM biweekly thread (I read the whole thread- I feel awesome) and it suggested I put my info here.
Soo.....lookin' forward to smashin with ya.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
wow I found a smash group that all live in michgan cool. I live in detroit and I would like to play anyone if you would like a challenge. just name a time and a place and i will be there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom