• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Signia

Smash Lord
k I'll bring the frisbee

I'll list some rules entailing guarding since I forgot to explain them last time

-one person guarding at a time
-guarder must stay arm's length away
-guarder may count "stalling 1... stalling 2... stalling 3..." up to 7 in which case there is an immediate turnover if the the guarded person's arm isn't about to throw
-thrower may pivot but cannot take steps unless they are in motion after catching and have to take steps in order to stop
-you cannot use your arms to block people from moving or catching, should be kinda like soccer I think

tips:
-Even though guarding usually doesn't result in a block or turnover, it's almost impossible to throw accurately in front of you if someone is guarding you. Help out throwers by getting to their sides, especially their strong side.
-When the frisbee is above or beyond your reach, go to where the frisbee is slanting and so you catch when it's within your reach. It does not follow a predictable straight line unless it's thrown low and hard. If it passes over your head, you still might be able to chase it down. Don't give up!
-It's a good idea to designate who is guarding who once teams are decided. Switching between people is tiring.

I remember when I tried to get the high school frisbee group into Melee... now I'm getting smashers into frisbee lol

MacD

Banned via Administration
i can take a few people on sat

i need to be back at uci by 8 so i'm thinking leave the tourney by 7:15

this means if i am in finals i will make sure the tourney finishes, otherwise whoever is in my car might have to leave early

soooo there you go

Incronaut

Smash Ace
k I'll bring the frisbee

I'll list some rules entailing guarding since I forgot to explain them last time

-one person guarding at a time
-guarder must stay arm's length away
-guarder may count "stalling 1... stalling 2... stalling 3..." up to 7 in which case there is an immediate turnover if the the guarded person's arm isn't about to throw
-thrower may pivot but cannot take steps unless they are in motion after catching and have to take steps in order to stop
-you cannot use your arms to block people from moving or catching, should be kinda like soccer I think

tips:
-Even though guarding usually doesn't result in a block or turnover, it's almost impossible to throw accurately in front of you if someone is guarding you. Help out throwers by getting to their sides, especially their strong side.
-When the frisbee is above or beyond your reach, go to where the frisbee is slanting and so you catch when it's within your reach. It does not follow a predictable straight line unless it's thrown low and hard. If it passes over your head, you still might be able to chase it down. Don't give up!
-It's a good idea to designate who is guarding who once teams are decided. Switching between people is tiring.

I remember when I tried to get the high school frisbee group into Melee... now I'm getting smashers into frisbee lol
hmmm yeah that was my bad last time... i played for UCI back in the day, and we did a zone defense formation, but now that i think about it, the two other defenders were defending the wings, not the thrower... my bad dude :p <33333

also, stall count is usually until 10 but i doubt that really matters anyway (and i think official rules are one frisbee distance away, but that was always kinda weird too)

also, for the realDJMirror: TECHNICALLY the rules are 3 steps when you catch the frisbee, but its usually used as grace steps to stop moving after landing, not to take advantage of like in basketball

Incronaut

Smash Ace
how do you get better at dribbling it's so hard

especially my left hand
im still SUPER unconfident with my left hand, but sadly you just gotta practice it.. its a tech skill type thing... and if you never use your left arm (like me) youll start feeling sore on your forearm just from dribbling haha

Signia

Smash Lord
hmmm yeah that was my bad last time... i played for UCI back in the day, and we did a zone defense formation, but now that i think about it, the two other defenders were defending the wings, not the thrower... my bad dude :p <33333

also, stall count is usually until 10 but i doubt that really matters anyway (and i think official rules are one frisbee distance away, but that was always kinda weird too)

also, for the realDJMirror: TECHNICALLY the rules are 3 steps when you catch the frisbee, but its usually used as grace steps to stop moving after landing, not to take advantage of like in basketball
Yeah I think you're right it's 10, it's been a while

I've never been part of a hardcore club but I have played with people who were and fared well. I've never tried zone defense. When I was playing with casual people we played on a giant field with only 3-4 on each team every lunch period so that probably wasn't even possible lol. I really miss the exercise :(

One frisbee distance away? Dang, that's close. When you get more skilled it's possible to handle people that are right in your face though. This short guy in our high school group was probably the best in the group because of his speed and he could forehand throw super far from like 6 inches above the ground

DoubleBass

Smash Cadet
Hey JDM what's your address again? lol. And my younger brother (16) was wondering if he could come also. He kind of plays smash and i think he is pretty alright at ultimate.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
anyone from uci going that can give me a ride?

spenser, you better go this time

Kira-

Smash Champion
im still SUPER unconfident with my left hand, but sadly you just gotta practice it.. its a tech skill type thing... and if you never use your left arm (like me) youll start feeling sore on your forearm just from dribbling haha
Ah I gotcha. Time to go practice in my room at 2am with the lights off! .... or like, in the afternoon when there's lots of daylight.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
that's probably true

**** i have the biggest headache in the world...it's all because of last night

edit: no y'know what i'm feeling like total ****

i'm not gonna go

MacD

Banned via Administration
Can somebody give me a ride to grev please?

:phone:
Me too please. =D
I would also like a ride to Grev.
Posting to say that I would like a ride to Grev.

P.S. Ultimate Frisbee was the best thing we did on that Friday awhile ago.
so you 4 are going to go with jason

jason plans to leave about 11

spark and hyprid go to the bike shop. jason isn't sure if you know where the bike shop is spark, it's at the light going to campus, i'm sure you know

then he'll get anto

then jdm

jason's phone is weird, he can receive calls and texts but can't return them, so keep that info in mind guys

I'd also like to go to GREV.
Me too please :D
you 2 and connor are gonna go with me, we might switch for the ride home but for being picked up this is what's gonna happen

i'll leave around 11 getting fly first then combofest

also

that's probably true

**** i have the biggest headache in the world...it's all because of last night

edit: no y'know what i'm feeling like total ****

i'm not gonna go
lolololol way to flake again on friday

JDM

Smash Champion
I'm not going tomorrow sorry.

I just touched my Frisbee bruise you gave me Anto and it stung like a *****.

Watch your back.

Top Bottom