• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Speaking of never meeting someone, Incronaut, have I ever met you? I swear I've never seen you before. WHO ARE YOU!?
i think i met you once, but im not sure haha... whats your real name? i might have met you...

and spenser, i was there the LAST bball meetup but SOMEONE flaked

Signia

Smash Lord
shoryuken.com is amazing...

most of the stuff in this subforum http://shoryuken.com/f176/ should be required reading for any competitive player. If you read any of them you should read the one about controlling space. Then laugh about how simplistic Lucien's video about controlling space that everyone loves.

Jun.

Smash Lord
And then you realize that the smash community is filled with whiney kids that don't know how to play any other competitive game.

Signia

Smash Lord
And then you realize that the smash community is filled with whiney kids that don't know how to play any other competitive game.
Yeah I pretty much knew that already. Irvine players will try new stuff though. <3 Irvine

There's very few players here that don't play anything else.

DJMirror

Smash Master
To the readers of Bakuman

I just wanna say this...

my new favorite character is now Hiramaru

That man is beyond the word "epic"

*thumbs up*

Nakai should be a sumo wrestler instead of an manga artist imo

be like E. Honda yo

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Yeah I pretty much knew that already. Irvine players will try new stuff though. <3 Irvine

There's very few players here that don't play anything else.
basically this lol

my gaming expertise is pretty much non-fighting

but fighting games are legit fun yo

it's why i play smash tbh, it's the only fighting game that's charitable to pick-up-and-play guys like me

DJMirror

Smash Master
since Dave doesn't seem like to do this with me

who wants to be judge for the 949 melee award (we were suppose to get this done 2 months ago)

I would like some judges to help me out

so far it's me and hyprid (I'll force him into this one)
Stab? KirbyRaeg? Spark?

DJMirror

Smash Master
Just for lols

the original list was pretty funny imo because some of the awards were just funny to have on like nicest *** was macd, mostly likely to get ***** in and out of smash was Zhu, Mostly to rage was Stab etc (I accidently deleted tho)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
hey anybody want to help me learn sheik stuff?

i want basic sheik techskill training (inb4 sheik has no techskill)

i mean the really basic stuff, like shorthopping, l-canceling (and which moves autocancel), wd oos, training to keep me from rolling all the time, etc. i know most of this just takes practice, but i can't practice on my own without a console or a training partner, now can i? ;)

a.k.a. DAVE PLAY MELEE WITH ME AND TEACH ME AT A SMASHFEST SOMETIME. I'M TIRED OF SUCKING WITH KIRBY. NO PUN INTENDED.

Kira-

Smash Champion
hey anybody want to help me learn sheik stuff?

i want basic sheik techskill training (inb4 sheik has no techskill)

i mean the really basic stuff, like shorthopping, l-canceling (and which moves autocancel), wd oos, training to keep me from rolling all the time, etc. i know most of this just takes practice, but i can't practice on my own without a console or a training partner, now can i? ;)

a.k.a. DAVE PLAY MELEE WITH ME AND TEACH ME AT A SMASHFEST SOMETIME. I'M TIRED OF SUCKING WITH KIRBY. NO PUN INTENDED.
LOL at the pun. I don't have a setup at my house or anything, so you'll have to do the practice on your own, but I'll be more than happy to give you advice and help you with strategies, options, and matchups when we all hang out.

That having been said you already have a pretty good Sheik, I actually thought that JDM went Sheik in the crew battle at first and I was like, "OMG HIS SHEK IS SO GOOD WHAT IS TH1S" but honestly I thought you watched my videos or something cause it looked a lot like the way I would play.

Now for practicing in your room... most people just fight against a cpu and go crazy trying to be flashy or as fast as possible... this is not the most useful practice and I'd say about 70% of it is a waste of time. What you want to do is one of three things:

1. Test your moves. Test what percent you can chaingrab a Link that is DI-ing away (use training mode, cpus DI away after the first dthrow, so grab them, dthrow, press start twice quickly so their percent is correct, then dthrow again). Test what percent Fox and Falco fall over from an ftilt. Test what percent they fall over when they're CCing. Test how far away you can hit someone with a shorthop fair. Downthrow everybody and get used to what you can and can't hit them with. Etc etc

2. Do drills. This is the lame part. Do 50 short hop fairs to ftilt in a row. Then do 50 short hop fairs to dash dance away (both directions), then to jab, etc. Do 50 wavedash out of shields in both directions. Practice the up B stall until you can do it flawlessly 10x in a row. Wavedash onto the stage from the ledge 100 times (cause everyone kills themselves this way), and learn to do a move before the invincibility goes away (ftilt, dsmash, roll). I remember when I was learning Falco I would put myself on a handicap of 1 and damage ratio at 0.5 and just "shield pressure" a Bowser on FD for like 30 minutes with both dair and nair and then took a break. I did it with early aerials, then with late aerials. Then did it with like, nair > waveshine behind > shine > bair for another 5 Bowser stocks. One thing, if your tech skill is starting to get worse then take a break, it doesn't do you any good to keep going (plus matches are only 2-4 minutes long, you won't need ultimate endurance or anything).

3. Practice stages and movement. Movement is kind of like everything, as in you're technically practicing movement in the first two things, but what I mean here is like moving around every stage, getting used to wavelanding on and off platforms, seeing stuff like how high you go from jumps (like on Stadium and Yoshi's your short hop under the platforms is different), or seeing where your moves reach (on Yoshi's you can fullhop aerial to pressure the top platform and still have your 2 jump, on Battlefield your uptilt can hit someone on a platform if they shield, but not if they don't shield... dont quote me on the BF one). Also seeing how soon you can act after you roll or tech roll.

Yea that's a lot of stuff to start on so you can get to work on that. Remember that when you play in a match, it'll be harder to implement them than when you're playing cpus or in training mode. Don't get frustrated, this is normal and the practice does help, just need to learn how to focus and emulate how you execute in training, and of course play a lot of matches (which should be the easy part =P).

Umm one last thing is to watch videos, now I don't advocate this as much as I used to. This is because it's very easy to watch a video and learn absolutely nothing, especially in today's metagame. Take this with a grain of salt but I believe that it is harder to learn from today's videos because of how the game as progressed.. very little is "tried and true" compared to before, today's play is much more intuition/feeling based than before (or maybe just myself personally became less calculating and more feeling who knows... that grammar cannot be correct -_-).

Anyway we'll talk strategy next time, I'll tell you all the tricks I use too, overall spacing and decision making is hard to teach with words though but I'll try.

Jun.

Smash Lord
he say that SD was doing them for the end of the school year and it probably reminded him that he meant to do them at the end of the year
FREAKIN JASON.

But then again I don't take credit for the awards. SoCal as a region usually had these awards. And I'm pretty sure other regions / communites have been doing it for a while.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
LOL at the pun. I don't have a setup at my house or anything, so you'll have to do the practice on your own, but I'll be more than happy to give you advice and help you with strategies, options, and matchups when we all hang out.

That having been said you already have a pretty good Sheik, I actually thought that JDM went Sheik in the crew battle at first and I was like, "OMG HIS SHEK IS SO GOOD WHAT IS TH1S" but honestly I thought you watched my videos or something cause it looked a lot like the way I would play.

Now for practicing in your room... most people just fight against a cpu and go crazy trying to be flashy or as fast as possible... this is not the most useful practice and I'd say about 70% of it is a waste of time. What you want to do is one of three things:

1. Test your moves. Test what percent you can chaingrab a Link that is DI-ing away (use training mode, cpus DI away after the first dthrow, so grab them, dthrow, press start twice quickly so their percent is correct, then dthrow again). Test what percent Fox and Falco fall over from an ftilt. Test what percent they fall over when they're CCing. Test how far away you can hit someone with a shorthop fair. Downthrow everybody and get used to what you can and can't hit them with. Etc etc

2. Do drills. This is the lame part. Do 50 short hop fairs to ftilt in a row. Then do 50 short hop fairs to dash dance away (both directions), then to jab, etc. Do 50 wavedash out of shields in both directions. Practice the up B stall until you can do it flawlessly 10x in a row. Wavedash onto the stage from the ledge 100 times (cause everyone kills themselves this way), and learn to do a move before the invincibility goes away (ftilt, dsmash, roll). I remember when I was learning Falco I would put myself on a handicap of 1 and damage ratio at 0.5 and just "shield pressure" a Bowser on FD for like 30 minutes with both dair and nair and then took a break. I did it with early aerials, then with late aerials. Then did it with like, nair > waveshine behind > shine > bair for another 5 Bowser stocks. One thing, if your tech skill is starting to get worse then take a break, it doesn't do you any good to keep going (plus matches are only 2-4 minutes long, you won't need ultimate endurance or anything).

3. Practice stages and movement. Movement is kind of like everything, as in you're technically practicing movement in the first two things, but what I mean here is like moving around every stage, getting used to wavelanding on and off platforms, seeing stuff like how high you go from jumps (like on Stadium and Yoshi's your short hop under the platforms is different), or seeing where your moves reach (on Yoshi's you can fullhop aerial to pressure the top platform and still have your 2 jump, on Battlefield your uptilt can hit someone on a platform if they shield, but not if they don't shield... dont quote me on the BF one). Also seeing how soon you can act after you roll or tech roll.

Yea that's a lot of stuff to start on so you can get to work on that. Remember that when you play in a match, it'll be harder to implement them than when you're playing cpus or in training mode. Don't get frustrated, this is normal and the practice does help, just need to learn how to focus and emulate how you execute in training, and of course play a lot of matches (which should be the easy part =P).

Umm one last thing is to watch videos, now I don't advocate this as much as I used to. This is because it's very easy to watch a video and learn absolutely nothing, especially in today's metagame. Take this with a grain of salt but I believe that it is harder to learn from today's videos because of how the game as progressed.. very little is "tried and true" compared to before, today's play is much more intuition/feeling based than before (or maybe just myself personally became less calculating and more feeling who knows... that grammar cannot be correct -_-).

Anyway we'll talk strategy next time, I'll tell you all the tricks I use too, overall spacing and decision making is hard to teach with words though but I'll try.
im going to practice all this ****...

then suck with kirby. LITERALLY. killedjoke.jpg

Kira-

Smash Champion
Btw i just wanted to do the awards for kicks, they've always been done in the past and i thought it'd be fun. but then i stopped cause there were too many bad awards and i dont think thats necessary lol, and also i couldnt keep it unbiased so yeah

DJMirror

Smash Master
I fking hate melee so much that I feel disgusted playing it.

**** Kira's stupid *** mario, F*** Maple's stupid rolling/spot dodge habits, F*** getting knee'd, peach dsmash'd and other lame stuff by boss, F*** getting 80% for no reasons when you're get hit by your own partner for 1 thing while you're getting juggle and you have to spend at least a minute pressing upBing/teching offstage while you're getting edgeguard while your partner is getting grabbed on hold and stupid *** gimps on DL64

and when you're playing low tiers, that **** doesn't apply to you for some unknown reason.

Top Bottom