• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
just get it at a bookoff or online and spam x bro

but crash bandicoot was such a great series when naughty dog was still in charge of it

i think i liked crash team racing more than mk64 but that's probably me being crazy

i never did get to finishing ff12. i don't know the exact reason but it didn't feel too great

i was never into shooters. they all sorta felt the same and only differed in weapons

but you can argue the same thing for any other game tbh

Minato

穏やかじゃない
if you're born around 1989 or under...You'll think FF6 to FF9 is amazing (because Playstation/SNES was ****** the gaming market) and believe that FF7 is the best RPG of all time or you'll run into someone from that age telling you Chrono Trigger/Xenogear is the best RPG is better than FF7 and you'll get into a endless debate with them =___= <--- I think this era ***** because games like Arc The Lad, Front Mission, Secret of Mana series, Xenogear, MegaMan Legend 1 and 2 (yes it's a rpg), Paper Mario, FF Tactics, Zelda OoT, Majora Mask and many sick *** RPG games are sooo good (I believe this is the golden age of RPG imo)
I was born in 1989, and yes, Chrono Trigger and FFVI are my favorite RPGs lol
And I don't see the MM Legend series as RPGs. It's more adventure, IMO.

I didn't enjoy FFX when I first started it but I've come to like it more and more as time went on.
But yeah, it's not on my top fave RPGs. There are others that I like more.

if you're born around 1991 or above you'll maybe missing out playing FF7 to FF9, just play other RPG likes Dragon Quest (you'll think that piece of **** game is amazing)
You didn't like the DQ series? :ohwell:
and currently I wanna play Tales but I didn't wanna hold on it so I gave it back to MacD since I had to finish like other games....Like Resounce of Fate LOL
Tales is good. US doesn't get any of the really good ones though which is why Symphonia is considered the best here...
Don't worry about FF12

you're not missing anything the USA ver is really ****ty except if you're playing the FFXII International Zodiac Job release which it's almost a different game
I still really want to play that. I'm pretty sure there's a patch for the game though, so you can always do that.

And wow, I haven't posted here in forever. Probably because I haven't played smash lately.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Well I must be the exception to all of your theories... lol

1. Played FF7, 8, and 9 BEFORE I played 4 and 6.

- You could say I just feel nostalgic about the 16-bit era but,

A) You'd be reaching on the nostalgia theory, and
B) All the games I had when I was young were more action/platformer games, no RPGs at all. Now that I think about it, I don't think I played a real RPG until about 2000 (then I went nuts).

TL;DR - Played the older games AFTER the newer ones, yet still liked the old ones better

2. I pretty much had every system or at least had access to all of them from the NES to the Wii/DS, every Nintendo handheld, Ps1+2, Xbox, (minus the dreamcast), but still went back and used ROMs and emulators to play the classics and I enjoyed them much more. I also bought a game like every week at least (yes I was extremely spoiled in this regard).

- Even now, games like Cave Story and Braid which came out recently, hit certain chords that newer games never do.

- My favorite system growing up was actually the GBA, I don't know what it is about those games but they are just so much more fun to play.

TL;DR - Don't know why but the 16-bit, 2D side-scrolling era was just plain more FUN

So basically the nostalgia theory or "game you played first" theory shouldn't really work here, the old games were just better lol. In my opinion of course.

edit: what do you guys think about FFXII... i played it for abou 10 hours but i just could NOT get into it.. am i missing something?
nope it was terrible i stopped after 30 hours or so

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
Dave, you never played Super Mario RPG when it first came out? I also didn't really play many RPGs growing up, but I played Mario RPG strictly because it was a Mario game.

I guess I was a noob back then, but I remember renting Chrono Trigger and FF6 from Blockbuster and loading up save files having no idea what to do in those games. Of course all that changed once I played FF9 (my first FF), followed by Chrono Cross (which I'm actually currently replaying).

After FFX I haven't liked a FF game.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
There doesn't seem to be much debate on the subject. Old school SNES RPGs are the best.

Portal 2 was good. Need to co-op soon.

DJMirror

Smash Master

Signia

Smash Lord
I love 8wayrun.com... the site has become kinda like facebook where posts can be "liked" and alerts pop up whenever you are quoted so there's no reason to stay on topic in threads and people seem to carry on whatever conversation anywhere.

Here's one thread:

"General synopsis of the things so far.

It started like any other day: what is a Scurb.
This lead to: hahaha I am right.
As a result we got: Hypocrisy at it best
After which: "come to Devastation" became the new catchphrase
This sparked the epic: Canada Vs America debate (btw Canada won)
But things got serious with: is the community growth past its prime?
And then GOD said: ****s?
So naturally it made people want to: Ban Ivy
Then people were: Rapping
Which obviously made someone go: OMG Sophie does to much damage, Dam you TAS B, DAM YOU TO HELL!
Then outraged poured across the land: Get on my level was the newer catchphrase
This lead to debates such as: Yoshie have them RO
And: Ralph vs Kilik match up
And the classic: How good is Ralph?
To who can forget memorial & loveable: Theory
But some serious stuff came about: Namco needs to fix RO, so that theres more "situational awareness"
Which prompted the greatest thing to be ever said: I have 500 likes *****!!!!1111!!!!111!!one
Which immediately lead to the: Thread being Closed
But then God granted: FREEDOM
And now the petty mortals are rebeling against Canada because: THE AMERICAN CAN NEVER BE AS AWESOME AS THE MAJESTIC CANADIANS.

And the debate continues... "

Kinda reminds me of this thread

DJMirror

Smash Master
after a few hours of a sick session of FF8

I came to a conclusion that once you know what to do and where to get certain stuff

you can become more godlike than before

Good **** Square Soft on making a game where I can some of the best spells in the game when I'm like level 5 to 15, just 2 hours into the game and still on the first town

I haven't summon GF (Guardian Force) yet so i think I can make the current game my no gf run

and squall starts out with 255% hit accuracy in the beginning of the game =___=

Jun.

Smash Lord
after a few hours of a sick session of FF8

I came to a conclusion that once you know what to do and where to get certain stuff

you can become more godlike than before

Good **** Square Soft on making a game where I can some of the best spells in the game when I'm like level 5 to 15, just 2 hours into the game and still on the first town
Mind you the game has been out for over a decade now. Game designers don't design the games expecting people to scrutinize over every single aspect of the game to try and break mechanics for decades (which people do to almost every RPG). They design the game to be playable and enjoyed for I'd say at least the next year or two which is commonly the life cycle of a game system.

See related: Super Smash Bros. Melee

DJMirror

Smash Master
I know, I beaten the game like 3 times when I was little (around middle school) with no rpg experience (I used to hate playing RPG til my cousin got me into it) and I'm beating it again for the 4th time and I had "break" the game twice lol I'm just trying to see if I can do anymore lol

As I was playing, I remember why I was sooo hooked on to it. because it was fun for me at least lol

Dave never beat it because he hate the game alot.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Yeah junction later on makes things pretty funny. Drain to elemental attack makes everyone gain 9999 per attack assuming your attack is max'ed out with Ultima or something.

MacD

Banned via Administration
it's at cam's house jason, at least it should be

games are disappearing, i'll be very mad if my paper mario never shows up and if i discover many other games missing

Who's down for another Friday funday this friday?

:phone:
depending on what you guys do i might be down

DJMirror

Smash Master
Yeah junction later on makes things pretty funny. Drain to elemental attack makes everyone gain 9999 per attack assuming your attack is max'ed out with Ultima or something.
I know for a fact that Ultima is just good at everything in all the stats if you wanna know the best magic for each stats it's:

HP - Full life, easily
STR - Ultima/Triple/Quake but Ultima is the best and you should use Triple for speed
DEF - Meltdown/Ultima (Meltdown give you the same stat as Ultima)
MAG - To be honest I never bother with this one because I never use magic but if I remember correctly it's Death?
SPR (Mag Def) - Reflect, no doubt about it
SPD - Triple (gives you speed 100 or over and you'll be fast as or faster than omega weapon *he's the fastest/strongest monster in the game*)
EVD - Tornado since it raise the stats the highest in the game by 18 points giving you about 20% to 30% chance of dodge attacks
LCK - Just Aura but I just use Aura Stone to avoid lowering my junction for it
Hit Accuracy - use Double (You don't need this for Squall but you need it for other characters)

I'm currently bored at work so I'm typing all this for lol

almost all these spells can be obtain by disc 1
by playing a **** load of card games with the queen of cards, playing Cid for the Seifer card, play against Zell's mom for a few amazing bosses cards and zell card, playing the best card player in the second garden for cards that can turn into flare and holy and doing the early part of the club of cards quest in the first garden. Ultima in disc 1 is nearly impossible to get unless you're super lucky by playing certain people to drop those cards for it, ****kk I should write a faq for this but it's soooo late LOL

it's at cam's house jason, at least it should be
I'm not missing anything???

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
the only thing i remember about ff8 is having auto haste + a ridiculous amount of speed with zell, so it was always my turn. combine that with that one item where you can do more than one limit break and pretty much any monster in the game is dead.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
i heard the most mixed reviews about FF8 than any other FF... what do other people think of it?

and i cant make it on friday :((

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
People still play SNES games on actual SNESes?

I think SMRPG is on Virtual Console for Wii. Or you could just... get an emulator.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I played chrono trigger on my computer

I never owned a playstation, so I know I missed out on a ton of great RPGs

:(

Incronaut

Smash Ace
by the way macdadz.. i was NOT sleeping in the computer lab... so you probably should have tried saying hi to that random stranger that kinda looked like me

D

Deleted member

i liked ff8 at first when i got it as a kid then i hated it by disc 3-4, beat it though

if i played it again now though i' probably like it a bit more

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
People still play SNES games on actual SNESes?

I think SMRPG is on Virtual Console for Wii. Or you could just... get an emulator.
i like playing games on the original console, so yes i do play snes games on my snes.

playing them on any other medium doesn't feel the same, although i did play link's awakening via super game boy on my snes. didn't want to use the small *** screen on the regular gb.

DoubleBass

Smash Cadet
I don't think I'm going to grev but I want to play basketball/smash tomorrow lol. My basketball skills are not any better than my smash skills tho

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
Posting to say that I would like a ride to Grev.

P.S. Ultimate Frisbee was the best thing we did on that Friday awhile ago.

Top Bottom