• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Signia

Smash Lord
yay won a $5 money match

in soul calibur

against the guy that got 2nd at DEV last year

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Spoiler alert (you've been warned)

Alright so I'm hella bored right now, and want to talk about RPGs, and that's what I'm gonna do LOL

So first is my current opinion on FF X, after like 3.5 hours. It's definitely pretty good so far. First of all, it looks way better than most the stuff I've played so far, then again most the stuff I've played has been on inferior consoles hardware-wise, so take that with a grain of salt. Next, the soundtrack is really nice, and when you have to play a game for 40 hours, you NEED a good soundtrack lol. Probably the thing I like most about it so far is the level up system. Instead of using actual numbers and fixed stat upgrades, their use of the whole network of spheres and **** is awesome. It's more interactive and it happens more often, albeit with less effect, than traditional leveling systems. Finally, I enjoy most aspects of the battle system. The way it's designed, you actually have to think for each battle, instead of continually just hitting "attack" and waiting for the next turn. They also do a good job of letting you make use of your whole party, unlike Tales.

Now for the cons. At this point in the game, the story line still does not make a bit of ****ing sense. He got sent into the future by some whale-looking thing that wants to keep humanity primitive. The ****? I'm sure it will make more sense later but for the moment, I can honestly say the story does not pick up quickly. Second off, they pack so many sub-bosses into the early game. It seems like random strong solo enemies that don't have anything to do with the plot just kind of show up to be annoying.They're not too fun to play against either, especially early on, because all you can really do is attack and use potions. There was actually a few more but I'm really tired and can barely finish this post without falling asleep.

Basically, the majority of the game is good but the storyline is getting carried mad hard atm

Signia

Smash Lord
I wish there was a game with the depth of game mechanics of fighting games, and the aesthetic rollercoaster and storyline of a Square Enix game, but I know that game does not and will never exist, unless I become a game designer.

So if I sound dissatisfied with like, every game I've ever played... It's because of games like Melee and SCIV and music/cutscenes of others that are too good but are never together

Kira-

Smash Champion
I wish there was a game with the depth of game mechanics of fighting games, and the aesthetic rollercoaster and storyline of a Square Enix game, but I know that game does not and will never exist, unless I become a game designer.
Or until I become a game designer.

Basically, the majority of the game is good but the storyline is getting carried mad hard atm
lol. and lol at your sig.

also Memento doesn't make any sense until the very end... doesn't mean it doesn't have a kickass story

Also F all the haters... FFX was one of the best

Jun.

Smash Lord
Give me any reasons as to why you guys think FFX is good and I'm fairly confident I can convince you that FFX is a poorly designed RPG with more emphasis on visuals instead of gameplay due to the fact that it was the first FF on the PS2. I realize FF7 had the same characteristic since it was the first FF on the PS1 however porting over many principal members of the renowned FF6 team made FF7 almost a guaranteed success.

FFX's characters blow
They're boring and their backstories are harshly underdeveloped. The main protagonist not only has annoying voice acting, but most of his background which is kept in mystery throughout the game isn't even interesting once it is revealed. His relationship with Yuna is nothing special and is nothing more than a guy and a girl meeting each other. The other characters are far less memorable. I don't even know what to write about the other characters since they might as well not have even been in the game.

I'll bash on it more when I don't have midterms.

DJMirror

Smash Master
ff tactics was my fav one
Dude it's the best ff imo

Give me any reasons as to why you guys think FFX is good and I'm fairly confident I can convince you that FFX is a poorly designed RPG with more emphasis on visuals instead of gameplay due to the fact that it was the first FF on the PS2. I realize FF7 had the same characteristic since it was the first FF on the PS1 however porting over many principal members of the renowned FF6 team made FF7 almost a guaranteed success.

FFX's characters blow
They're boring and their backstories are harshly underdeveloped. The main protagonist not only has annoying voice acting, but most of his background which is kept in mystery throughout the game isn't even interesting once it is revealed. His relationship with Yuna is nothing special and is nothing more than a guy and a girl meeting each other. The other characters are far less memorable. I don't even know what to write about the other characters since they might as well not have even been in the game.

Tell me more about it i'm interested in hearing your opinion

Kira-

Smash Champion

FFX's characters blow

lol as if i would ever get in an argument over this type of thing. I'm 95% confident you will not change anybody's opinion

6 > 4 > 10 > all other FFs

dunno where tactics goes but it is awesome, maybe better than 10 but i didnt finish it, maybe I should since I just found my PS1 memory card. FFT is the cool/hipster response LOL, nobody can argue that it wasn't great and it's not mainstream

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
EVERYBODY IN 949 WHO OWNS A DS

BAND TOGETHER AND PLAY ME IN TETRIS BROS

doin mm's at grev, 2v1, maybe a 3v1 if i'm feeling crazy

"No, just no." - MacD

oh, and to be relevant, i liked FF4 and tactics.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I think FFT is amazing and great

It's just not alot of people play it =/

Instead everyone is playing the ****ty gba/ds one =/

Not alot of people are playing the psp remake (which i love)

Incronaut

Smash Ace
lol as if i would ever get in an argument over this type of thing. I'm 95% confident you will not change anybody's opinion

6 > 4 > 10 > all other FFs

dunno where tactics goes but it is awesome, maybe better than 10 but i didnt finish it, maybe I should since I just found my PS1 memory card. FFT is the cool/hipster response LOL, nobody can argue that it wasn't great and it's not mainstream
i have never agreed more with anyone's opinion of FF... all my other friends are VII fanboys.. i even agree with your FFT opinion... i really want to hear was Jun has to say though...

ALSO, i was watching some videos of stab, and how come when he plays higher calibur players (i.e. lovage or lucky) he looks like he's not doing anything and is just getting pwned, while when he non-P.R. people, he's going all aggressive and crazy on them? is it cause he's more nervous playing them? or is there some counter attack to stab's aggressiveness im missing that forces stab to not do as many trix?

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
i have never agreed more with anyone's opinion of FF... all my other friends are VII fanboys.. i even agree with your FFT opinion... i really want to hear was Jun has to say though...

ALSO, i was watching some videos of stab, and how come when he plays higher calibur players (i.e. lovage or lucky) he looks like he's not doing anything and is just getting pwned, while when he non-P.R. people, he's going all aggressive and crazy on them? is it cause he's more nervous playing them? or is there some counter attack to stab's aggressiveness im missing that forces stab to not do as many trix?
I don't think it's really "trix"

I'm guessing with worse players, their defense is bad so I can do just about anything I want and it'll probably work, and their offense isn't great so I don't have to worry even when they hit me. And usually Falco w/confidence = ****.

With good people, they pressure really well and know how to **** once they get a hit in, so you have to be more wary. Also, they know how to get around approaches so it's harder to mount an offense.

But this applies to more than just me lol

Kira-

Smash Champion

HAHA that's awesome, 6 is just sooo good I loved it the whole way through, the opera scene is amazing.

I don't think it's really "trix"

I'm guessing with worse players, their defense is bad so I can do just about anything I want and it'll probably work, and their offense isn't great so I don't have to worry even when they hit me. And usually Falco w/confidence = ****.

With good people, they pressure really well and know how to **** once they get a hit in, so you have to be more wary. Also, they know how to get around approaches so it's harder to mount an offense.

But this applies to more than just me lol
My little theory is that,

little subtle spacings and movements that your opponent does are subconsciously registered into your brain, making you either become more wary or be more confident.

I tried thinking up an example but it was really wordy and didn't work out in the end. But it's the same thing as like, why Zhu looks like he's "playing bad" when he's playing Mango, or why Armada is "playing bad" when he's playing Dr PP, they are less willing to make a move for fear of getting punished, so they end up being more static. But then when Armada is playing a random Fox, he isn't scared of getting punished so he acts right away. Knowing when someone is playing scared or not scared is such a big factor

DJMirror

Smash Master
I have a weird theory why certain people at certain age likes FFX ( i like FFx but it's barely on my top 5 on favorite FF games but it's not on my top 5 rpgs imo) I hope this makes sense even tho there are some holes/nonsense to it

If you're born around 1983 or below you'll think FF1 to FF5 is soooo **** and you think there's nothing can top off any of these 5 games. Plus you'll think Zelda is the better/good as FF and think nothing tops Link to the Past and FF4 or FF5 til Zelda OoT and FF 6 to FF9

if you're born around 1989 or under...You'll think FF6 to FF9 is amazing (because Playstation/SNES was ****** the gaming market) and believe that FF7 is the best RPG of all time or you'll run into someone from that age telling you Chrono Trigger/Xenogear is the best RPG is better than FF7 and you'll get into a endless debate with them =___= <--- I think this era ***** because games like Arc The Lad, Front Mission, Secret of Mana series, Xenogear, MegaMan Legend 1 and 2 (yes it's a rpg), Paper Mario, FF Tactics, Zelda OoT, Majora Mask and many sick *** RPG games are sooo good (I believe this is the golden age of RPG imo)

Example: There are some people (Which I think it's rare) like MacD, Cam, Maple and Zhu that will miss out FF games but they'll still run into sick games like Zelda and Paper Mario

if you're born around 1991 or above you'll maybe missing out playing FF7 to FF9, just play other RPG likes Dragon Quest (you'll think that piece of **** game is amazing) and just started playing FFX as your first final Fantasy game and be like "WOW THIS GAME RAPPPPEEESSSSSS" (Because Playstation 2 is sooo good and still amazing imo) but there are still some good games like FF Tactics Advance (which i think it's pretty ****ty) Golden Sun series, Dot Hacks Series, Xenosaga series, Tales Series etc while slowly there are some ****ty rpgs like FF11 (ewww)

Example: Mango and Joey never play a ff game in their live and Joey/Stab are playing FF X as their first FF game but Oscar (Lovage) loves FF 9 and I assume that his first FF game (Correct me if I'm wrong Lovage)

and if you're born like 1995 or above
GG and sucks that you missed out alot of good games or you'll think FF12 and FF13 is soo ****

Signia

Smash Lord
Whoa Jason... none of the Zelda games are RPGs. Or were you just talking about any game?

I like how you covered 1989 and below and 1991 and above. I'm 1990 lol. Maybe 1990 people just born at the wrong time and never played a jRPG so they're not worth mentioning

I just barely missed the SNES to Playstation era and pretty much didn't play any videogames until I was 7 when the N64 came out. After that I played the action-adventure games Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Banjo-Kazooie (this game was AMAZING <--well I guess this is my ff7), DK64 (the sequel to B-K, just with Donkey Kong characters), and later the GTAIII series on the PS2 and fighting games like Mace, Clayfighter 63 1/3 (****ing stupid name), Smash 64, and later Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. A few racing games like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, and Gran Turismo III. Then Halo then COD took over.

I think white people just didn't grow up on jRPGs other than Pokemon.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
I never understood why some people (not talking about Jason, but like in magazines) consider Zelda an RPG... i just never got it...

but yeah i agree with jason.. im a bit different because i was brought up around slightly older people so a link to the past >>>>>>>> OoT (although OoT was good), and i think people my era appreciate FFX a lot, but it doesnt top the classic ones (while i have a younger friend who will support FFX to his death) so yeah... nostalgia *****.

also, dave pointed out exactly what i was thinking... zhu vs mango is an awesome example of it.. i never really got it, cause i feel like their underconfidence makes them play worse, which makes them even more unconfident... etc etc.. but i see what Stab is saying too.. its just so weird seeing the playstyle difference vs different opponents

edit: what do you guys think about FFXII... i played it for abou 10 hours but i just could NOT get into it.. am i missing something?

MacD

Banned via Administration
or, many of us grew up with nintendo because of how it worked out

my parents got me a snes for xmas when i was like 5?? i don't even know how old i was, so i got lots of mario, zelda, and what not. then n64 for christmas a few years later. only time i played a PS was at my neighhbors house so we'd only play multiplayer games, and he wasn't an RPGer so he never got this FF's or anything. then i get a gamecube cause i'm a nintendo fan boy and i loved all the 1 player games for nintendo (and i know my neighbor will get/already had a ps2 and xbox). then i got a Wii cause... well yea. So i played lots of nintendo RPG's.

i wasn't (or maybe was) fortunate enough to have a family that wouldn't buy me every system/game i wanted. i never had access to the PS RPGs and never would have if not for cam's house (though i haven't exactly been playing them haha). after getting a job in high school, i was partially considering getting a ps2 just for all the RPG games i missed out on, because it seemed like it had a lot of good ones. Though between school/a job, i didn't have tons of time for games, especially after i found smash competitively.

i think it more so depended on your parents/how easy it was for you to get systems and games, but that's just me. If i could have, i would have loved to have a PS 2 and played many of the FFs and other games on that system (crash bandicoot anyone?).

EDIT: chris' post reminded me that somehow, i never got/played the 64 zelda games, no idea how that happened. also chris, were you napping in the student center computer lab at like noonish? there was someone that looked like you but i wasn't sure and didn't wanna wake him in case it wasn't you

DJMirror

Smash Master
Crash Bandicoot? That game ****ing *****

Crash Bandicoot 2 is where it's at

esp the snow level where you ride the sick baby polar bear

I like how you covered 1989 and below and 1991 and above. I'm 1990 lol. Maybe 1990 people just born at the wrong time and never played a jRPG so they're not worth mentioning
I just think people born around 1990 should be around 1989 imo my bad lol

I just barely missed the SNES to Playstation era and pretty much didn't play any videogames until I was 7 when the N64 came out. After that I played the action-adventure games Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Banjo-Kazooie (this game was AMAZING <--well I guess this is my ff7), DK64 (the sequel to B-K, just with Donkey Kong characters), and later the GTAIII series on the PS2 and fighting games like Mace, Clayfighter 63 1/3 (****ing stupid name), Smash 64, and later Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. A few racing games like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, and Gran Turismo III. Then Halo then COD took over.
DK64 multiplayer was the **** imo so was mario kart, goldeneye, Clay fighters ***** because of earthworm Jim and ****ing mario 64 all I remember about it is getting really mad at the game lol

I think white people just didn't grow up on jRPGs other than Pokemon.
Nah that fine Zhu and Cam missed out as well and they're asian

DJMirror

Smash Master
I can kinda see how zelda is a rpg when you're getting items/power ups etc I thought Link to the Past was the greatest zelda game of all time til Zelda OoT came out and i was like ****kkk. I was kinda weird because I got a playstation 1 and I shared with my uncle so I ended up playing fighting games with him. I never own a snes but I did get a n64 but I didn't get alot of games for it like I did with the Playstation 1. As soon I got the playstation 2 i went nuts looool I just got a cube 2 years ago the only game I played on it is..Melee, Zelda OoT, Majora Mask and currently I wanna play Tales but I didn't wanna hold on it so I gave it back to MacD since I had to finish like other games....Like Resounce of Fate LOL

Don't worry about FF12

you're not missing anything the USA ver is really ****ty except if you're playing the FFXII International Zodiac Job release which it's almost a different game because....instead of one huge skill board that has to share you get 12 boards based on classes like

Black Mage
Samurai
White Mag
Breaker
Archer
Thief
Dragoon
Machinist
Monk
Red Mage
Knight
Time Mage

Kinda like FF Tactics so you spend points on it but the different is once you pick that class you're stuck with it til a certain point =/

They tweaked the battle systems so you can control the summons, guest characters, Support wide screen, have the option to pick japanese or english voice over, New missions/quests, new Weapons/Armors/Accessiores and they have effects now, New enemies, New skills/Magics, and a "Trial Mode" which allows the player to hunt monsters in 100 different maps to gain items and money. Plus you can speed up gameplay by holding L1 now (yay)

plus this

- New Game + - Strong Mode

This mode is unlocked once you beat the game by defeating last storyline boss.
Wait for the ending credits to disappear, then you're asked if you'd like to
begin a new game on Strong mode, or be returned to title screen.

Strong mode has all of your chrs begin on lv90, and that is it. All items,
equips, licenses, gil, and everything else you acquired in previous playthru is
gone and doesn't carry over.

- New Game + - Weak Mode

This mode is unlocked once you beat the game by clearing Trial mode completely.
Upon clearing Stage 100, you'll be asked if you'd like to begin a new game on
Weak mode, or be returned to title screen.

Weak mode has all of your chrs begin on levels 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, and 3, and you
gain NO EXP WHATSOEVER from enemies. All items, equips, licenses, gil, and
everything else you acquired in previous playthru is gone and doesn't carry
over.

I wanna play this ver sooo bad but it's never gonna be release outside of Japan =[

Top Bottom