• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Kira-

Smash Champion
I used to play DotA, back when early game int heroes were the only way to go and mass mekanism + mid lane push would end the game at level 10.

KotL, enchantress, chen, furion, zeus, necrolic, goblin techies, necrolyte, etc. Anyone who used late game agi heroes was considered a "pub scrub". Of course they all had different spells back then too. Then once they made aegis a one-time buy item i stopped. that was before I even went to smash tournaments lol

So does dota not exist anymore or is it basically HoN or LoL? I dont get the difference between them lol, are either of them even worth playing compared to dota?

take a break from the game

dave had that all last year

play or do something else
yeah and now the game is amazing again =)

ComboFest

Smash Lord
Dota is still popular
HoN costs money and is more of a direct copy of DotA and LoL is free and is a somewhat new game. Haven't really played much LoL and since i already bought HoN.

JDM

Smash Champion
My finals are next week.

I get to play BFBC2 live in front of the class for my English presentation tomorrow.

Jun.

Smash Lord
the best thing HON has over DOTA is matchmaking and reconnects. The game itself is nearly identical however just the logistics of the game made it into something Dota could never be.

Dota 2 on the other hand... We'll see

LoL is a joke. Its actually pretty competitive too though. Just way too hectic. More team based though.

ANYONE WANT A FIGHTSTICK TE? They are Buy One Get One Free at Gameshark and deal ends today. its $150 so we'll split it which ends up being $75 for a full size TE which is the cheapest you'll find it anywhere.

MacD

Banned via Administration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARkdTu_Wqn4

3:38

LOL. That was incredible

kaba modern is pretty cool
my roomate from last year is in kaba modern, he'd turn our living room into a practice room and move his closet door out there cause it had a mirror on it

it was fun to watch them practice

So who is going to Champ's tourney this sat?

Is there some carpool I'm not aware of or has one just not been formed yet? lol
there is a semi carpool formed

are you finally free of your parents driving you or you just curious?

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
my roomate from last year is in kaba modern, he'd turn our living room into a practice room and move his closet door out there cause it had a mirror on it

it was fun to watch them practice

there is a semi carpool formed

are you finally free of your parents driving you or you just curious?
Not free, just curious

Mostly so I know if Kevin is going so I can find a partner if he isn't lol

MacD

Banned via Administration
well all i know is i'm probably taking zhu and fly (since no one else drives :mad::mad::mad: :mad070::mad088:)

i haven't heard things from anyone else

DJMirror

Smash Master
I'm driving people as well!

-Me
-John (Just going for the call4duty stuff)

but i'm leaving asap after i'm out of the tournament

Signia

Smash Lord
the best thing HON has over DOTA is matchmaking and reconnects. The game itself is nearly identical however just the logistics of the game made it into something Dota could never be.

Dota 2 on the other hand... We'll see

LoL is a joke. Its actually pretty competitive too though. Just way too hectic. More team based though.

ANYONE WANT A FIGHTSTICK TE? They are Buy One Get One Free at Gameshark and deal ends today. its $150 so we'll split it which ends up being $75 for a full size TE which is the cheapest you'll find it anywhere.
I already bought this deal (2 PS3 sticks, cost $170 total with tax/shipping). idk if I want to sell the other one for only $75 though, also I may try and trade it for a 360 stick so I'll be set for any tournament I'd go to.

idk what you've heard, but LoL is no joke. The developers are actively refining the game for the sole purpose of making it an esport (which was not the goal or focus for most developers, even for games that are played competitively). They hired the top player in the world to help with game balance and design, and they hired my 19-year-old friend from my computer science class who also plays (he is really good at programming though). Riot Games is stationed in Irvine, btw. I almost wanted to pick up the game solely for the chance at getting a job there lol. But then I remembered how the genre is... plus my brothers play HoN. They **** their pants when I showed them a standalone dota game.

I can't really say whether their attempts at a good competitive game were successful though, haven't played it.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
I already bought this deal (2 PS3 sticks, cost $170 total with tax/shipping). idk if I want to sell the other one for only $75 though, also I may try and trade it for a 360 stick so I'll be set for any tournament I'd go to.

idk what you've heard, but LoL is no joke. The developers are actively refining the game for the sole purpose of making it an esport (which was not the goal or focus for most developers, even for games that are played competitively). They hired the top player in the world to help with game balance and design, and they hired my 19-year-old friend from my computer science class who also plays (he is really good at programming though). Riot Games is stationed in Irvine, btw. I almost wanted to pick up the game solely for the chance at getting a job there lol. But then I remembered how the genre is... plus my brothers play HoN. They **** their pants when I showed them a standalone dota game.

I can't really say whether their attempts at a good competitive game were successful though, haven't played it.
i knew i shoulda done computer science... damnit!!

ComboFest

Smash Lord
I don't think LoL could ever be a "good" esport. Just because of how it looks. This is just my opinion though. There is someing about LoL that makes it look like more of a casual game. (I could be totally stupid on this.) I don't know the future though.

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
Not free, just curious

Mostly so I know if Kevin is going so I can find a partner if he isn't lol
I am going back home on Friday, so if I am allowed to borrow a car, I am going.

I'll edit this post when I find out for sure.

Edit: I'm going.

Signia

Smash Lord
I don't think LoL could ever be a "good" esport. Just because of how it looks. This is just my opinion though. There is someing about LoL that makes it look like more of a casual game. (I could be totally stupid on this.) I don't know the future though.
says the melee player

Incronaut

Smash Ace
I feel like people are punching me in the face.
you DO know punching your face is on mlg

wow dumb joke.

on another note, i realized ive been wavedashing wrong... i hold the stick in the direction i want to wavedash before i jump, making wavedashing backwards really difficult... and now im trying to break the habit which is also really difficult

Brian

Smash Journeyman
im trying to overcome the same thing
getting better, but i still cant shine->wavedash back to the left very consistently

its nice to have simple concrete things to work on though

Kira-

Smash Champion
Chris were you talking about waveshining or wavedashing backwards? I'm assuming waveshining, and yea everyone has to fix that to waveshine backwards (pretty sure).

Anto that actually used to be an advanced technique, back when jumping out of shield was considered technical. Fittingly, it was called "triangle jumping."

People would also use this technique called "fox trotting", where you would use the initial dash only over and over to get from point A to point B faster (so like only dashing in one direction). It was only slightly true for long distances (like from opposite ends of FD), but basically it was useless and nobody used it.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Chris were you talking about waveshining or wavedashing backwards? I'm assuming waveshining, and yea everyone has to fix that to waveshine backwards (pretty sure).

Anto that actually used to be an advanced technique, back when jumping out of shield was considered technical. Fittingly, it was called "triangle jumping."

People would also use this technique called "fox trotting", where you would use the initial dash only over and over to get from point A to point B faster (so like only dashing in one direction). It was only slightly true for long distances (like from opposite ends of FD), but basically it was useless and nobody used it.
LOL i remember fox trotting "its like a faster dashing!"

and damn dave, you always impress me with how much you know about the game... yeah i totally meant waveshining O_o" but im trying to wavedash correctly (im guessing its correctly) so i dont have to think about waveshining differently when i have to...

or do most people just wavedash with the control stick preemptively in the direction and solely waveshine backwards by repositioning the stick? (if that makes sense)

Kira-

Smash Champion
LOL i remember fox trotting "its like a faster dashing!"

and damn dave, you always impress me with how much you know about the game... yeah i totally meant waveshining O_o" but im trying to wavedash correctly (im guessing its correctly) so i dont have to think about waveshining differently when i have to...

or do most people just wavedash with the control stick preemptively in the direction and solely waveshine backwards by repositioning the stick? (if that makes sense)
lol yeah, one time someone asked Azeem (old school ranked Samus) if anyone used Fox trotting and Azeem was like, "What? What's that?" Then after seeing it he was like, "Lol, nobody uses that crap."

And yeah, I solely waveshine backwards by doing it differently, like everything else it becomes second nature if you practice it a ton. I think that most other people do too but not 100% sure

Kira-

Smash Champion
ASIJTIWAOHGAKSDFJ;jaoisgaklsdjfgalsdkgjasg I'm like totally freaking out right now

the word "gem" does not deserve to be put on the same level as THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xSNzYqHGg

melee is pretty much the best thing ever

- man i still remember the first time i ever booted up melee. i didnt know about any trailers and had no idea what the game was like at the time. our family has a tradition of letting us open ONe present on christmas eve and the rest on actual christmas day. So at 12:01am christmas eve I opened Melee and played with my younger brother and sister for probably 3 hours before our parents made us go to sleep. we had played ssb64 extensively.. like most of you who played back then I was the best in my group of about 10 friends who liked to play the game seriously (this was common for people back then, if you sucked you didnt care about being the best). This would later motivate me to find tournaments, especially after my friend told me about smashboards (which I was SUPER excited to find).

In 64 I mained Fox and was pretty sure i would main fox in Melee as well... but then this character known as BOWSER was so freakin cool that I had to main him. I mained him for about a week before deciding he sucked (because I lost to my brother once, which in my mind should never have happened). So from 2001 to 2006, I mained Fox. My friends played Sheik, Luigi, Samus, Roy (back when everyone thought Roy was better than Marth), and I won all of our birthday party tournaments (which happened at literally every birthday party we had, even for people who didnt even play the game, they would use the Tournament Mode at some point during their birthday just so we would be more excited to go)
shameless/pointless brag lol

I remember the sheik main would always counterpick me to Corneria and i would always take him to FD LOL. We played with items on very low with no hearts or Maxim tomatoes, we spammed roll every 5 seconds, and attacked primarily with dash attack. I stole the "dthrow to shine" combo from level 9 computers (but later changed to dthrow > uptilt > uptilt > upsmash). I observed DI because dthrow uptilt dtilt upsmash upair would work on computers but my friends kept getting out of it after a few uptilts (mostly by pure instinct they would hold to one side to get away). I wondered why this was but never tested it further lol.

One of my favorite moments that i'll never forget was we were spamming roll, and someone watching us got so upset that we were just dodging and being boring and not hitting each other. So I thought really hard (and I mean, "REALLY" hard), and I read his roll one time. I ran past where he was and hit him with a dash attack. Of course he didn't realize what had just happened. But to me I thought I was so smart and assumed that that was how most competitive people must play. Getting really good at predicting moves (back then I probably just thought it was rolls only). Of course I didn't do it the rest of that match but it heightened my awareness of the game. That was when I hypothesized that there was probably much more to the game than I had initially thought.

Man all this is too nostalgic, man.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Fox trotting (I literally just erased "Fox trolling) is useful with Ness in 64 if you DJC after roughly 8-10 frames of initial dashing.

P.S. GSUB, we are planning on leaving from SoCal around 7 or 8 on Saturday morning to go to the tournament on the 18th. Would you be good with us picking you up around that time? We already have it cleared with JB that we will be late to registration and make it before singles pools start.

ComboFest

Smash Lord
Fox trotting (I literally just erased "Fox trolling) is useful with Ness in 64 if you DJC after roughly 8-10 frames of initial dashing.

P.S. GSUB, we are planning on leaving from SoCal around 7 or 8 on Saturday morning to go to the tournament on the 18th. Would you be good with us picking you up around that time? We already have it cleared with JB that we will be late to registration and make it before singles pools start.
Take me with you T.T

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Lol someone's been reading the Chillin thread.

I don't really have any Melee memories, never had a Gamecube. I actually have my first me vs. CPU match recorded. It's atrocious, but I wasn't too terrible because I had some Brawl tech skill first.

I was one of the better 64 players amongst my friends, but we never took it above casual play. The most advanced thing I remember doing is baiting a Kirby to down-B above me, roll out of the way, and punish.

I had no notion of competitive play until I played Starcraft and learned who Boxer was.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i played melee <10 times, and not for a good two years, before i decided to start playing competitively. that FC3 east vs west crew battle made me want to play. i was playing halo 2 "competitively" (aka playing MLG rules with my friends and randoms from the boards there) and the smash community seemed waaaaaaaaaaay more fun. went to mlg anaheim and fell in love with this game.

i definitely didn't understand competitive play at all for a good year after i started playing. im still just barely figuring it out, 4 years later.

Squidster

Smash Ace
It took me a LONG time before i learned about competitive smash and while interested, it took me even longer to find smashboards and even longer to attempt tech skill.

Melee was always my favorite game and I was always the best around my friends. I remember my best mixup with falco was that I would full hop, then come down with a dair. Eventually they would see this coming and roll, so instead of dair i would firebird right above them, then hit em wherever they rolled. I was brilliant. I also spammed fsmash.

Then brawl was coming out and i got super hyped, i learned some melee tech skill with the idea that brawl would be awesome and having some tech skill would help me with brawl. I then played brawl for like 6 months then felt like there was less and less to learn. I put melee in just to see if i could possibly wavedash (i never could before) and i did it quite easily. After that i just only played melee.

ComboFest

Smash Lord
O well Thanks Rob.

Lets do this. I played melee when i was in Grade school and i used to main Falco. It was mostly just with my brother and Anto so nothing that big ever came out of it. When Brawl was announced i was hyped so i waited in line with my bro to get the game and I thought Brawl was the **** and i played a lot of online people(6 or 7 months of brawl). After a while I got bored of brawl and decided to leave that game for a more manly game (Starcraft Brood war). I never really got good at that game though... During my summer after freshman year there was a man that I will call WU FU. Wu Fu, Anto, and I played brawl throughout my summer and a quarter way into my sophmore year. It was a lot of fun. We were about to play brawl again until Wu Fu said "Brawl is pretty boring man, We should play Melee." So we did. I thought i was pretty good until Wu Fu showed me tech skill such as wavedashing, and how to combo and I was shocked. I eventually learned some of the tech skill and i thought i was pretty good again. We then scheduled an "Event" for melee at my school (Which never actually happened.) and made an event on facebook inviting some people. Anthony then posted inside of the event page that linked me to smashboards and the wonders of competative melee (I am still amazed that Anthony somehow knew Wu Fu.). Anto and I eventually got better than Wu Fu and decided that we should go to tournaments and smashfests. That was the best decision i have made in a long time. Everything started to **** after i started to play melee competitively.

Top Bottom