• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

DJMirror

Smash Master
looooooooooooooooooooool @ Brian

I hope you ****ing **** Trahh

what character are you going to use?

Kira-

Smash Champion
warning: long memory #5

Jason... you and Champ need to have a grammar battle at his tournament. Someone will write sentences with bad grammar and you guys have to fix it LOOOOL

Yep, that's the guy. That event was my first real tourney, although I wouldn't go to anything else for over half a year. Was Joey still an ICs main then?
lol joey was never an ICs main. but always an ICs secondary as long as i knew him anyway. mango claims i made joey quit ICs but i don't know if that's true or not (insert more subtle egotistical talk lol)

hahah of course i'd remember that

it scared the crap out of me and i almost killed everyone like every 5 min driving home

i need to stop having these close calls
Duuuuude i had close calls too....

like when I was following Azn Lep to Zhu's house for Day at the Zhu 1. Almost slammed right into the center median, Pat honked just as I was about to crash into it. We drove for so long that night...

And then there was the time my tire popped in the middle of the freeway. Tofu was driving my car and Pat's house Pat and I were sitting in the back, and we could feel the car wobbling around (no pun intended). We were just chillin, then at the same moment we froze and turned to each other and were like, "Is the car shaking? DUDE THE CAR IS SHAKING!"

Right at that moment we heard a loud BANG and the car skidds and there's this horrible grinding noise and we start sliding. We were in the far left lane so we had a ways to go... and it was a LONG ways. The car fell DEAD silent, literally nobody dared to say anything. I didn't want to distract Tofu at all so that's why I personally stayed dead quiet.

There were quite a few cars on the road but luckily they were able to move out of the way in tmie. After what seemed like an hour we made it to the shoulder and parked there. Then hilarity ensued.

Everyone was like "OHHhhhhh FUUUCUUKKCK DUDE that was soo close," and of course Pat and I were telling everyone we could how we both felt it like 2 seconds earlier. Everyone was making jokes about how Tofu's tech skill was frame-perfect and how if he was a brawl player we would all be dead LOOL (good sht melee). And while everyone's freaking out we hear one voice in the back- the first thing Fly says is, "Well at least we're still alive." LOOLOLOL that was hilarious, Adam was straight up like, "HEEELLL yeaaa Jeremy with the positive attitude" plus his freakin loud infamous laugh. lmfao it is a really cool feeling to know you are alive. I really don't think there is any other emotion you can do except for laughter when you genuinely believe you could have died.

So yea, we had to get out and change the tire. So I'm changing the spare tire with Tofu helping me out. Everyone else is still talking. Let me mention that I was still high as a kite during this time. This was when I blazed a lot... don't ever smoke weed, don't even start seriously it set me back really far. So many reasons, waste of money, fastest way to get to bumhood, deadbeat waste of a person, fastest way to lose friends and gain some pretty shady ones. And don't mess with the law. That sounds so stupid, and the law is pretty messed up on it's own, but it's still 100x better to stay out of trouble than to go against it in a dumb way like this.

Anyway the weed is making me super paranoid, like I'm some schizophrenic thinking every car that goes by us is gonna kill me. Honestly a lot of people die when they're just standing on the shoulder, it's not exactly safe. But regardless I was freaking out, trying to change the tire as quickly as possible. Meanwhile everyone else is playing chicken on the freeway, seeing how far they can get across before more cars come screaming down the road. This is also not a smart thing to do, but im not gonna lie I woulda done it too if I wasn't changing the spare (and if the weed didn't compromise my confidence too much. that's another thing it does, really screws with you mentally). By the way I apologize to Fly for smoking in the car when you didn't want to. But you were a champ about it, so thanks for that.

Finally it gets changed and we get back in the car. Nobody got hit by traffic, that was a relief to me. We start the car, but we don't get 50 feet until we start to hear the grinding again. Tofu pulls over immediately saying he's not going through that again, very understandably.

So then we're really stuck. We had to call AAA, it felt like something was damaged that was more serious than the tire. They also couldn't find us so we're literally sitting in a dark car in some unknown part of the freeway for like 45 minutes. They come and the guy's like, "what's wrong" and we're like, "We don't know, the tire is messed up and possibly more." So he goes to fix it, and we're talking, wondering how long it's gonna take to fix everything, then he comes back and goes, "K ur good, your spare was flat."

Then we made it to Norcal ^^

And then Onski kicked us out of housing and Alan was the freakin COOLEST guy ever and housed us with no preparation WHILE he was already housing like 5 other people, and his mom took us to this crazy cheap place where they hooked us up with a brand new tire for $50 flat. I just did a google search for the same car and I got at least $100 per tire. She was so nice, what great hosts, thank you so much Alan if you ever read this.

yea... then i got ***** in pools lol. but had fun times. told mccain he had good spacing without knowing it was mccain. made fun of brawl. got to hear epic brandon/phil commentary during an epic teams match. good tourney

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
When I found out Rob had SSBM I was like, wtf, why aren't playing this? Screw Battlefront and Greg Hasting's Paintball. They had MLG for this game. So it began... Rob you can tell the rest of the story.
Part 2: The SoCal Chronicles

Quick Reference Info:
Signia - Ryan
Okami - Rob (I)
Axe - Jeff
Piman - Nick

Backstory:
On September 25, 2008, I was watching the premiere of the 17th season of Survivor, known as Survivor Gabon. A certain player announced to the audience that he was a professional video game player for the game Super Smash Brothers Melee and that he had won over $50,000 in doing so. I thought it was kind of funny and somewhat nostalgic because I used to play SSBM and play Sheik because she was a ninja and could also hit twice with the beam sword in one move (fsmash).
End backstory.

{time lapse}

It was a cool winter break evening in the garage of a house in Mission Viejo. The father of the household suggested that the kids play in the garage because it was a nicer temperature and a greater space. {enter 1st person mode} Ryan and I were playing Super Smash Bros. 64 after having watched some Isai (then pronounced "Eye-sigh", later to find out that most called him "Eye-zay-ah" and much later to find out that his mother calls him "ee-sigh" apparently [reference needed]) videos. Ryan played an amazing character known as Samus and I played a real competitor to Samus's throne, Link. I remember thinking that Link's forward tilt was his coolest move, but could never figure out how to do it.

Eventually, we upgraded to a much newer game due to the influence of our friend Marc. This game was Brawl. We found that this game had made many additions: for example, 2 player HRC and tripping. After a couple of weeks of getting bored of this game, we upgraded yet again to the game of Super Smash Bros. Melee.

On February 1st, 2009, we began our epic quest to become the guy. Because I had the game and 4 controllers, we would start out only playing at my house. I would play my favorite character Sheik and Ryan would play the character most like Soul Calibur, Roy (who had a sword). This soon changed to Marth due to the fact that "Roy's moves have no knockback" (Marc) and we would play this game as competitively as we knew how. Because I had the game and that bad Sheiks can combo bad Marths, I had a rough 70-30 win ratio against Ryan. But we progressed.

Ryan would learn new techniques from Smashboards and use them against me for a game, IIRC. Afterwards, he'd explain the technique, starting with Wavedashing, then L-canceling, then dash dancing, then pivoting, then waveshielding, then Shai dropping (a.k.a. run->shield drop). We'd then proceed to practice the new technique for about 15 minutes before going back to fighting each other.

We would have our friends over and would bring a mini-screen to school to play and practice. Often we did free for alls in which the aggression rate was Ryan attacking 70% of the time (dying first), me attacking 30% of the time, and Marc camping 100% of the time in order to win. We quickly did away with those free for alls. No one had the dedication and drive to "get good". We had a list of people and in the order we thought they'd get good. It didn't pan out.

After watching some Bum videos, I realized that Donkey Kong was a really good character. I decided to secondary him and it taught me to jump cancel grabs; something that Ryan had already learned in order to not get punished so hard for my spot dodging. After playing DK for a couple of weeks, I realized he was not a really good character.

Around March of 2009, we watched Revival of Melee grand finals between Mango and Mew2King. I can still quote much of the Wife/Scar commentary that occurred. I realized that because Donkey Kong was not the amazing character I thought he was, there was a place for a new secondary. That was Jigglypuff. I practiced Jigglypuff and could beat Ryan's secondaries (GaW, CF, Fox), but could never beat his main as often as I would with Sheik.

It was around that time that I had watched Smashtasm, and so Ryan and I picked up new tertiaries: Fox and Falco. His tag was ユヨヨ7 (from l33tfox) and mine switched between GREG and レのレら. We formed the team leet and lols at this point.

We planned to go to our first tournament, which JDM had told Ryan about. I drove up north to Irvine with Ryan and we postulated whether it would be a bunch of 25-year olds who had been playing since the game came out or a bunch of young Nintendo 12-year olds. We knocked on 3751 Cosley Dr. An older gentleman answered the door. We were both thinking, umm...umm......yeah... "We're here for the Smash tournament?" I asked. "Anthony!!" he yelled. Down from the stairs appears a young kid around 16 or 17. He responds to us, "Um...the tournament was last weekend." We replied, "Oh..." and Anthony closed the door. We left and on the way home, we were thinking, "Would it have been awkward to say, 'Wanna play anyways?'"

We continued to practice and eventually found that Eric, G~low, was having a smashfest at his house. We went and there was a good portion of Grev: Ghad, G~low, stabbedbyanipple (I believe), and Deadshot. I used Sheik and Jiggs, and Ryan used Marth. I did pretty well against Deadshot and did okay against Ghad. I showed Ghad the Ice Climbers freeze glitch, which we then proceeded to try to figure out how to do, to no avail.

The next smashfest we went to was at G~low's house, yet again, but was in his garage. I played doubles primarily with Ekoli, stabbedbyanipple, and G~low, IIRC. On the way home, Ryan told me he was getting wrecked against someone who played everyone, but was best with Fox and Peach. He was a shorter kid with glasses who we would find out later was Connor. We decided to go to Connor's house later to see very good players there. Among them was MacD, Maple, Zhu, and Connor. We brought along Marc as well. After getting Dsmashed for a few hours, with no victories (though coming really close by doing random no-combo rests); we went home demoralized.

I decided to pick up Peach after hearing about Connor and later watching PC Chris do decently against DSW in RoM Losers Semifinals. We went to Stab's house a few times. One of these times, I decided to play my Falco for a few games. After not being able to beat him with Sheik, Puff, or Peach, I beat him with Falco! I was ecstatic, so I quickly went back to Puff to savor the victory. An angered Matt growled, "Play...Falco..." so that he could try and reclaim his Falco dignity. "While you may be technical, Rob is just playing smarter," said Marc. Matt would then later proceed to **** me at consecutive smashfests in Falco dittos and often in Falco vs Sheik/Peach.

This was around the time when Matt began hosting tournaments. Ryan and I went to GREV I. Here we started off by playing in doubles as Team Starfox. That way if we won and someone said, "Who are you guys?!" We'd say, "We're Starfox!" In doubles we played against Lovage and Atlus. They put in some work. After that we played Ansem and Boba, who on the last game were down. Boba was playing Peach and we didn't have good enough team work skills, so we lost.

The singles went much better. I started off by playing against G~low's Marth with my Peach on Yoshi's Story. It is still on YouTube on Matt's channel (I believe; it's definitely on my computer). I won on YS, so he counterpicked Green Greens, which I won on again, with a lot of turnip pulling on the side of the stage and roll->dsmash. Ryan played against another Marth player named Ansem. He took his revenge on him from teams and won his first tourney set ever too. After, I had to play against Lovage. In Losers bracket, I had to fight Ghad, who 2-1'd my Sheik. I beat him on Rainbow Cruise. He beat me on FD. Aside from that, I don't remember much except for seeing Mango and Zhu in Grand Finals. And in addition, I remember beating a tired Jkun on the recording TV with Peach and then a Falco who did 6 Dairs in a row.

Later, Ryan and I would proceed to go to 4 GREVs and a couple of Connor tournaments. We played in crews against GREV where Smoke2Jointz took 7 stocks, Jkun took 5 stocks, Bizzaro Flame took 10 stocks. Another stock might have been taken by S2J, but I got wrecked for 3 stocks on YS against Stab and took his last stock to win the crew battle.

Another highlight was at a Connor tournament seeing Fly Amanita's active playstyle beat Zhu, which everyone hyped up. Kira beat Zhu too, but no one seemed to care.

Aside from all that, the last thing I remember that was becoming in a certain tier being not as good as the ranked players, but being better than the new players. This tier consisted of Stab at the high end, JDM, Jkun, and I, and Signia in the low end.

Part 3 to be continued. It will consist of my adventures in Arizona.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Another highlight was at a Connor tournament seeing Fly Amanita's active playstyle beat Zhu, which everyone hyped up. Kira beat Zhu too, but no one seemed to care.
didn't get to read everything yet, but you sure about this? I think i beat lucky and fly... then lucky ***** me in losers finals, no?

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i'm going fox vs trahh
its the only character i play anymore, really. plus i like the fox/falco matchup.
also, i'm pretty sure he's about twice as good as i thought and i haven't played against a real person in over a month
should be fun

on the subject of smoking weed:
adam told me to quit if i wanted to get better at smash
i think he gave up that opinion after a month or so though

really it's all about moderation and self control. i'm bad at both. and weed makes you worse at both.

i still recommend drug use to everyone.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I wish you **** Trahh

loool sometimes that guy post gets on my nerve but oh well

*goes back to look up Assassin Creed's concept art*

Signia

Smash Lord
oh man I remember playing connor's peach... it was the first time I'd fought a peach. I was so confused....

These stories end up so long if you don't leave anything out, but I don't mind at all. I wish there was less of a stigma against long posts on these boards.

Check out this post for example:

The post below is rather long, I know, but please look at it; it might interest you.

This is an idea I've heard about--making a mod of brawl that is split-screen, first person. You would see the stage from the view of your character, and only see what is in front of you. (The field of vision would probably need to be somewhat large). This would put a whole new spin on brawl. There would be a whole new element of stealth. You could sneak up on someone by dropping in on them from a floor above them or jumping up through the floor that they are on and attacking. When you'd attack, you'd see your fists (or sword, or gun, etc.) come out from the bottom of your field of vision. You'd see the game from your character's eyes. (There might be a need for a radar of some sort so you can keep track of the fighters in your immediate area.) This is just an idea that struck me as interesting.

What do you think?

I have no expertise in making mods, but if someone here does, and is interested, please contact me.

I apologize if I have posted this on the wrong board, or even on the wrong website. Please redirect me to the right place if I have. Thanks.
Not only is his idea borderline ********, but he apologizes as if he's never written anything more than a paragraph about something he cares about in his life. My response is found on page three of that god-awful thread if anyone's interested.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292267&page=3

What was I doing on the brawl boards? Confirming my suspicion that brawl players are ******** and have no taste.

ComboFest

Smash Lord
So my friend and I are trying this new online RPG (pretty far from MMO) called Vindictus. I would describe the game as a weird hybrid of Guild Wars and Monster Hunter. It's pretty good so far, better than most free RPGs.

Apparently dual-wielder's dodge/dash is.. wavedashing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJ65-R3wD8
I've heard of this game. I was going to play it but apparently you need a key of some sorts.

DJMirror

Smash Master
Some of these stories are really good read.

I wanna read about Okami and Zhu if possible

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i remember that game lol

i remember trying to moonwalk but its hard

there is a wall if you go too far back

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm guessing that he mains Fox, Falco and Marth?

I see him in the Fox, Falco and Marth thread sometimes

so I'm assuming from that
Very true

One might conclude that one is a Fox, Falco, or Marth main if they post in the Fox, Falco, and Marth thread.

DJMirror

Smash Master
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

DJMirror

Smash Master
Well Brian said

Jkun vs Trahh MM out of nowhere and I didn't say **** about that

Trahh said he'll do it but I'm like "WTF is going on?"

Goddammit Brian

DJMirror

Smash Master
Nope i'm going to be at Don't Go Down There Jeff with Wes, J666, Doll666 (Emily aka J666's gf) and 24

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Can't spell trash
h
without trahh
hater

also mirror i see you attempting to **** talk about me on every thread, what's the problem? you don't like me cause we argued on the boards?

we don't have to MM just cause i said i was down.

DJMirror

Smash Master
also mirror i see you attempting to **** talk about me on every thread, what's the problem? you don't like me cause we argued on the boards?
Whoa whoa slow down

I didn't say **** about you in every thread

give me proof that I did

the way you said every thread sound a little too much.

I only ****talk/argued you only one time when you said the Japanese Community are scrubs. I rarely post in the marth thread and I never post in the fox and falco thread. (I just lurk there)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
lol i just see your posts like 'i hope you **** trahh' 'that guy gets on my nerves' lol'ing hardcore at JDM's post, etc.

even if its not every thread thats still not the point, it's not a big deal i was just curious.

also saying that japan isn't up to par with america isn't calling them scrubs, at all.

Top Bottom