• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Kira-

Smash Champion
So I'm gonna make a computer, never done it before nor do i know anything about them. been doing a lot of reading and ended up with a random assortment of parts, if you know what you're doing then feel free to criticize and add your own comments. Anything is helpful.

notes:

- ideally trying to get it in the $700-800 range, definitely not more than a grand
- will try to salvage old keyboard/mouse/monitor but we'll see
- would like to expand more in the future, but not a deal-breaking concern
- looking to run windows 7

- I don't game much, this is mostly just for sc2 and general web browsing / movie watching purposes. for sc2 i'd like it to run at least on high settings at a consistent framerate (normally i would not care for graphics at all but my dad likes starcraft and it would be more impressive and fun to play for him). aka no crysis, mass effect, etc

..so how do i link you guys to my newegg wishlist lol. couldn't find it on public wishlist search (i made it public first)

Incronaut

Smash Ace
So I'm gonna make a computer, never done it before nor do i know anything about them. been doing a lot of reading and ended up with a random assortment of parts, if you know what you're doing then feel free to criticize and add your own comments. Anything is helpful.

notes:

- ideally trying to get it in the $700-800 range, definitely not more than a grand
- will try to salvage old keyboard/mouse/monitor but we'll see
- would like to expand more in the future, but not a deal-breaking concern
- looking to run windows 7

- I don't game much, this is mostly just for sc2 and general web browsing / movie watching purposes. for sc2 i'd like it to run at least on high settings at a consistent framerate (normally i would not care for graphics at all but my dad likes starcraft and it would be more impressive and fun to play for him). aka no crysis, mass effect, etc

..so how do i link you guys to my newegg wishlist lol. couldn't find it on public wishlist search (i made it public first)
with that price range, im (somewhat) sure you can get SC2 to run on ultra :p

Kira-

Smash Champion
with that price range, im (somewhat) sure you can get SC2 to run on ultra :p
yeah that's what I'm seeing too, with all the rebates and stuff it could be under 700 before tax

oh yeah one more thing, most likely this will technically be my dad's computer but i will probably use it whenever he is not home which will hopefully be a lot

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
do you already have a windows 7 disc (not the upgrade disc)?

since that might set you back a bit

or are you just going to "obtain" it?

Kira-

Smash Champion
do you already have a windows 7 disc (not the upgrade disc)?

since that might set you back a bit

or are you just going to "obtain" it?
not sure, will check

also do most towers include the optical drive ?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
not that i know of

you have to purchase that separately

a tower is just a case

edit- what did you name your wishlist? i tried "dave" "kira" and dave kim"

Kira-

Smash Champion
If it's overkill, how much can I cut back to still play it on nicer graphics without giving up framerate?

Like how would an i3 540 3ghz dual core hold up, or a GeForce GT 240 1gb

MacD

Banned via Administration
man, i wish i could just set like pylon fields to high

it's so depressing only seeing outlines of blue circles

also ken combo? really??

Kira-

Smash Champion
Okay so ideally i'd run sc2 on high and still have a good framerate during big battles either online or in the campaign

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
dave my specs are:

460 gtx 768 MB graphics card
i5-760 processor
gskill 4gb ram
some asus mobo that my friend helped me choose
850w corsair power supply

JDM

Smash Champion
My desktop:

Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9300 (2.5 GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB)
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (4x2048MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 16GB)
1 Terabyte (TB) Serial ATA hard drive, SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
ATI Radeon HD 4350 graphics card with 512MB dedicated graphics memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities

spreedom

Smash Cadet
At first my bro's desktop couldn't play sc2, but he bought a 9800GT 40$ after rebate and now he can play it on maxed out ultra (and BFBC2).

A good GPU is the most important for making sure it runs smoothly, and you can find graphic card benchmark lists on the net pretty easily.

Tho for sc2 you really don't need to spend that much though, here's a list for really basic reference: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html (it is meant for laptop cards though).

2 or 4 gigs of ram and pretty much any decent processor will be sufficient for sc2, blizz makes all their games able to run **** easy.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
My computer's about 3 years old now, but I can still easily play on High in SC2. It only starts eating **** in late-game Nexus Wars or Desert Strike, but most do anyways. Crysis runs OK, but Aion can be terrible with too many people on screen. FFXIV ***** my ***, but it's not like anybody wants to play that garbage anyways.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
Corsair 4 GB DDR2 RAM
Some GIGABYTE Motherboard, model doesn't really matter
NVIDIA 8800 GTS 640 MB (G80)
Some Thermaltake 500W PSU
4.55 TB of storage lolololol (although I need a SATA cable to connect 2 of those TB)

My 8800 GTS scores 862 on this chart: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

For comparison, the GeForce GTS 250 scores 1,069 and the Radeon HD 5770 scores 1572

My Core2 Duo E6600 scores 1,503 and is located on the High Mid-Range chart here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ (Basically my CPU is a POS)

And my Windows Experience Index. My 8800 is pretty beast.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6026/windowsexperienceindexf.jpg

And my laptop mysteriously outranks my desktop in the WEI. :(

DJMirror

Smash Master
Macd LOL it's not about that. Im guessing mac and windows can run some of the parts. It's just like WTF is a DDR etc

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
My computer's about 3 years old now, but I can still easily play on High in SC2. It only starts eating **** in late-game Nexus Wars or Desert Strike, but most do anyways. Crysis runs OK, but Aion can be terrible with too many people on screen. FFXIV ***** my ***, but it's not like anybody wants to play that garbage anyways.

My specs:

Corsair 4 GB DDR2 RAM
4.55 TB of storage lolololol (although I need a SATA cable to connect 2 of those TB)

My 8800 GTS scores 862 on this chart: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

For comparison, the GeForce GTS 250 scores 1,069 and the Radeon HD 5770 scores 1572

My Core2 Duo E6600 scores 1,503 and is located on the High Mid-Range chart here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ (Basically my CPU is a POS)

All I know is I saw Corsair for RAM, rofl.

And my computer sucks compared to any of your comps wtf D=

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace

My specs:

Corsair 4 GB DDR2 RAM

i also got 5.9 for my HD rating.

i think the average person gets 5.9 on hard drive, cause you need some ridiculously advanced HD for higher scores.

my processor and ram are 7.3 and my graphics/gaming graphics are 7.4 =p

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
i also got 5.9 for my HD rating.

i think the average person gets 5.9 on hard drive, cause you need some ridiculously advanced HD for higher scores.

my processor and ram are 7.3 and my graphics/gaming graphics are 7.4 =p
Dude, Windows 7 is dumb. I have a 10k RPM Velociraptor and it's the same score as my old 7200 RPM drive. I do believe it is faster on average, but Windows sure doesn't care.

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
eh i don't really pay much attention to that whole rating system, but it did help me discover that one of my ram pieces wasn't plugged in correctly! (i had a lower score than my friend who had the same amount of ram).

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Combofest, are you saying you can't play it because you dont have the game or cause your computer sucks?

cause both would be sadddd :(

is it possible to upgrade a laptop to a better graphics card?
it depends on your laptop... anything with the word "integrated" means that its stuck to your motherboard/CPU and you're stuck with it forever on your laptop.. However, there are many laptops with Radeons or ATIs in them that are perfectly removable and upgradeable.. you should really look into it if you can :D

ComboFest

Smash Lord
Combofest, are you saying you can't play it because you dont have the game or cause your computer sucks?

cause both would be sadddd :(

it depends on your laptop... anything with the word "integrated" means that its stuck to your motherboard/CPU and you're stuck with it forever on your laptop.. However, there are many laptops with Radeons or ATIs in them that are perfectly removable and upgradeable.. you should really look into it if you can :D
My computer sucks...

Kira-

Smash Champion
hm wow i really dont need much to play it at all

thanks a lot guys for the info

i'll revise my parts and then get back to you guys

Top Bottom