• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

K20AFoozbal

Smash Apprentice
well as for the two of you that just stopped with out getting into it... that sucks. as i said, i've jsut gotten into the competitive world very recently. i plan on going to a tourney, i just haven't known of any in the area lately. but i did say that i've watched videos of recent tourneys. so just read and don't be dumb. thanks.

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
You watched videos, that's super cool...but you don't have any experience yourself....which is what matters. So just go to a tournament first (you live in freakin MD man) and don't waste your time posting long messages backed up on 0 experience/little understanding of the game. thanks

Eci4

Smash Ace
how many tournaments do you have to go to to be "qualified" to post?

mcc, the game seriously changes as soon as you have experience playing in a decent tournament... I watched a bunch of videos of the people I knew would be at my first tournament (not greatly known names, just minnesotans and really we dont have that many people)

my friends and I all watched the videos, and we were certain I could take second, and most thought I would win... the videos did not do justice to how good these people were... I managed to take 5th (there were 12th of us) and 4th in teams, but I really only beat the people who werent hardcore into smash... I got destroyed by the few people who I thought would be the hardest (from videos) but I never thought that it would be like it was... everything seems faster in real life..

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
how many tournaments do you have to go to to be "qualified" to post?
Enough to realize crap like Peach is not better than Fox nor Sheik like Foozbal posted. Don't be a idiot mcc. You just need to have experience playing/watching competitive players up close and realize why they say the things they do. "how many tournaments do you have to go to", don't bring that ****ing tootsie pop crap here. You just need a decent amount of experience so you will be able to understand why good players say/do so and so. For instance, you didn't understand DooDah aka StripesOrBars and Mow (good players).

Oh, and Foozbal...the list is based on results from tourneys lol it's not a list of the best characters to the worst.

EDIT:

thanks whoever gave me that, but um, I have a gf and where in a pretty good relationship, sorry. *looks at mcc*

Aiser

Smash Lord
F&F that was so me you know my weird fetishes..>_> j/K!!! xD

but yeah I use to be like you guys, watch matches thougth Iknew alot, its alot different once you get that experence you lose biased mentality.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Yeah listen to me, or I'll go in your fridge and eat all your foodz

mcc

Smash Ace
Enough to realize crap like Peach is not better than Fox nor Sheik like Foozbal posted. Don't be a idiot mcc. You just need to have experience playing/watching competitive players up close and realize why they say the things they do. "how many tournaments do you have to go to", don't bring that ****ing tootsie pop crap here. You just need a decent amount of experience so you will be able to understand why good players say/do so and so. For instance, you didn't understand DooDah aka StripesOrBars and Mow (good players).

Oh, and Foozbal...the list is based on results from tourneys lol it's not a list of the best characters to the worst.

EDIT:

thanks whoever gave me that, but um, I have a gf and where in a pretty good relationship, sorry. *looks at mcc*
you should be more like eci4. he's not rude like you.

anyways, to me, it seems like you keep reading my posts like i'm sarcastic or something. and i'm not.

and i understood mow, and stripes was just going against common sense. i mean, why would you pass up free damage?

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
Rude? If you take ANYTHING online seriously....you should feel embarrassed.
anyways, to me, it seems like you keep reading my posts like i'm sarcastic or something. and i'm not.
What? Don't get me wrong, I seriously think you're ********.
and i understood mow, and stripes was just going against common sense. i mean, why would you pass up free damage?
Why bother adjusting the SHL height while you just Dair her in the face? You wouldn't know though, lvl 9 computers walk into spam.

ZoSo

Smash Champion

I don't think he meant you should just sit there and crouch while they laser you. It's like when a Marth runs to get under Falco's lasers; it's a way of circumventing them without jumping or shielding.

mcc

Smash Ace
but the falco would figure it out and adjust his SHL lower so it hits no matter if she crouches of not

"Why bother adjusting the SHL height while you just Dair her in the face. You wouldn't know though, lvl 9 computers walk into spam."
you aren't guaranteed a dair just because she crouches

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
you aren't guaranteed a dair just because she crouches
Yes, that's what I said. I completely said "Go Dair her just because your guaranteed to hit her because she's crouching". lol, Sheik has a Sheild, a wavedash, a side step, a jump >_>

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
Yes, Dair her instead and shine combo her from there.
Of course it isn't "guaranteed", where the hell did that come from? Most Shffl Aerials aren't "guaranteed" unless it's part of a extended combo.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
I still think Shiek should be Top tier... She is too easy to learn, and some of her moves can kill you after like 60% DMG *Cough F-Air Cough*

mcc

Smash Ace
she's just one away from top tier =/

but i don't think "easy to learn" should be a reason for top tier. i think it should be a mix of tournament results, a little of character potential, and character weaknesses

Aiser

Smash Lord
Edit:nevermind I thought you ment original8 characters =x need to stop reading so fast.

upper
high
middle
low
bottem.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
U guys are ****in lame, who cares where the characters are, these conversations are wasted
This is the 2nd thread about this list, and it has about 12 000 views... so alot of ppl seem to care.

Btw I posted this on the other thread but I'm bringing this up again. Should there be a fusion between Top and High tier? I propose this because there doesn't seem to be a huge gap between Falco and Sheik... the gap is bigger between Sheik and Marth IMO.

Sheik is arguably the strongest char in the game, and just like the space animals, she is carried as a strong secondary by most players since she's easy to learn. Her only bad matchup is the IC's, but those are an uncommon breed...

So I'd say the top tier could be like it once was before I think: Fox Falco Sheik

Or you could make it into a prettier but a bit less accurate list, by mixing Top and High together: Fox Falco Sheik Marth Peach

mood4food77

Smash Hero
fox and falco have almost no bad match-ups, sheik, marth, and peach have 1 counter each

Eaode

Smash Champion
I just realized that this thread is 29 pages long, but I ust have to say one thing.

You people say this is based off of tournament results and the like, eh? Well, I think the tourney scene has a few Mewtwo players does it not? Taj immediately comes to mind, and there was definitely another one, can't remember now. But how many Pichu players are there? I haven't heared of ANY. If there is a pro Pichu player out there, someone please correct me, but I still believe Pichu should be lower than Mewtwo, who actually has tournament rep. And if I were arguing about "potential" and that **** I would say Mewtwo is a better character overall as well IMO.

I think the only reason Pichu moved up is because he was bottom for so long that people started believing he was better for no reason. And if Brawl weren't coming out soon, I bet the same thing would happen to mewtwo next tier list.

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
Taj doesn't go all Mew2 and he isn't pro. There's numerous people who use Pichu, the reason why they aren't known...IS because they use Pichu.

DroxSorcerer

Smash Cadet
Um...ok, I'm new to all this advanced stuff, so I've got two questions.

What are tiers?

By what information is the list made?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
taj isn't pro, i'm pretty sure he is, it's not like him and forward are the first team to beat ken and isai in a set, and he did place high at all tournaments he went to, and he uses mewtwo primarily, then he follows up with fox

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
taj isn't pro, i'm pretty sure he is, it's not like him and forward are the first team to beat ken and isai in a set, and he did place high at all tournaments he went to, and he uses mewtwo primarily, then he follows up with fox
Taj uses Marth and Fox in tourney.

He will not use Mew2 in tourney and if he does he loses.

And mcc stop talking plzthx.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
they say taj is one of the few who should be on the top 25 list, along with wes and a few others

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Taj doesn't go all Mew2 and he isn't pro. There's numerous people who use Pichu, the reason why they aren't known...IS because they use Pichu.
Well you seem to know them, then. Who might these Pichu players be? Just curious. I honestly couldn't care less as long as Mew2/Pichu/etc were placed near the bottom. Idc what order.

Reason Idc? Tiers are only useful before you enter a tourney, so you might have a general idea how well you'll do with the character(s) you're using, given the current metagame. I consider a Peach to have just as good of a chance as Fox or Falco, since they're roughly in the same area of the tier list. However, once you get into actual tourney, then the tier list ceases to matter, and counterpicks take precedence. More important than counterpicks, though, is actual skill, which is why, even though Fox or Falco are clearly better than Peach, that Peach stands just as good of a chance at winning, given that they have enough skill.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
To mood4food: I agree with you man, but when you talk about counters you are probably implying sumtin like:

ICs > Sheik
Sheik > Marth
Marth > Peach

Now if you are talking about these particular counters, we could say that a Sheik player has lower chances to meet its counter in a tourney than Marth and Peach... and that's probably one of the reasons why he was voted higher than the other two on the list. But again, the fact that the IC's counter Sheik shouldn't be enough to push Sheik out of top tier, cause he's alot better than Marth and Peach in a tournament.

A few good IC players entering a tourney wont be enough to elimanate a whole horde of good Sheiks entering the same tourney (unless the Sheiks are unlucky). The Sheiks that get eliminated will probably be elimated by a char other than ICs, like Fox/Falco, because the other player is simply better at the game.

Well, that's just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom