• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TEXAS TOURNAMENT!! (planning stages) WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
As far as the civic centers go the one in New Braunfels is big and the one in universal city is bigger. And they are both still kinda in the middle of texas.

Riot_

Smash Cadet
We still have a few months before Brawl comes out...and I don't really see the point in doing tourneys that soon after Brawl anyway, why not take a week or so to learn the game/unlock stuff?

Xelic

Smash Ace
WTFZ at people acting like Melee will fall off the face of the Earth. There was a huge Smash 64 tournament at FCD, the game's been out since like 1999, and moreover, the game is AWFUL. There will still be Melee tournaments. I predict Melee side tournies as a standard for decent-sized tournies. Let's all wish it into existence. WISH IT!!! >=O

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
Civic Centers are places where people hold events in. Like we had my prom for high school at our civil center. Most civic centers have enough space for over a 100 people and ours has tons of outlets every where. ( I think others will too.) I think civic centers are common in most small towns.

Velox

Smash Ace
You sir, are a jerk.

However, you do make a valid point.
Whatever dude, college people/people with jobs have priority over high school kids. We all know high school is a joke, you def. don't have to be there everyday unlike the real world (college/jobs). The kids can take off from school, omg, I can't believe you called me out as a jerk for that comment when I act like a jerk much more in other threads.

I've meet you several times in person and never have you called me a jerk then :p

BTW Xelic you're kidding youself.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Whatever dude, college people/people with jobs have priority over high school kids. We all know high school is a joke, you def. don't have to be there everyday unlike the real world (college/jobs). The kids can take off from school, omg, I can't believe you called me out as a jerk for that comment when I act like a jerk much more in other threads.

I've meet you several times in person and never have you called me a jerk then :p

Fine, I take back what I said. :p

You're right though, you do indeed have priority over us, and I'm well aware that high school is indeed a joke. If I can make it to this tournament, I will go, and if I can't, well, I can cry about it in private.

Also, refresh my memory again, where did we meet? My memory sucks so bad it's like trying to fish in a lake, then you realise that it's actually the community swimming pool.....and there's no water.

lol, Xelic, you so crazy.

they make up like half the smash community
thx. I apologize for being MIA throughout the entire Summer. Infact, I'm quite irritated that the only tournament i've gone to since June is the BETTY tournament. I'm getting restless pwning my friends so much that I've started playing as Giga Bowser...

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I think Jordan's analogy of the Smash 64 tournaments doesn't really work. Smash 64, when compared to Melee, is essentially like comparing two completely different fighting games. They're not really alike at all. But Melee and Brawl will be, so it will be much more redundant to continue with Melee tournaments. And I don't think people will want to, as it will suddenly seem so bland after we get used to playing Brawl.

So go die Jordan. You always have bad ideas and I bet your apartment is small and you deserve to be fat for eating so many cookies.

Xelic

Smash Ace
LOL@Steven's Brawl assumptions. For everyone's sake, I hope you're right, and that Brawl IS like Melee, but there's no guaruntee. So shut your filthy mouth.

Also, Velox, I believe that people who are good at Smash won't give it up completely. If you do, that's cool, because you're Houston. =p

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Just so everyone knows, Jordan still likes to pretend Sheik won't be in Brawl. I, however, am not ********. And I've watched the trailers.

Also, Jordan still wet the bed for a long time. Last year, in fact. Like, 4 times.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Before brawl sounds best. Thanksgiving time or maybe random weekend. SA/Austin area seems central so probably the best.

And puffball come play with us UTSA peeps if you're tired of owning your friends. I hope you play someone besides puff now though =)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Before brawl sounds best. Thanksgiving time or maybe random weekend. SA/Austin area seems central so probably the best.

And puffball come play with us UTSA peeps if you're tired of owning your friends. I hope you play someone besides puff now though =)
eh. I have a fox and falco, and to a degree a Marth, but they hardly get anyone good to play. Sorry man, but it's Puff all the way.

:psycho:

Velox

Smash Ace
omg low blow Xelic =o

But seriously I still disagree with you though, everygame I've played competitivly people abandoned when the new one came out, most notably Halo, even the the origional was far better (especially with Halo: Custom Edition).

Puffball, most recently, it was like February and I was playing teams against you with Leprechaun at that canceled Joe Michael tournament at Gamelot.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
If it has to be done after Brawl comes out, just make it a Brawl/Melee tournament. With the Brawl one being cheaper, since we will all suck (compared to SSBM) for a while. It'll get a bigger turnout, and well get to play both games.

I think Thanksgiving or Christmas break would be the best.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
omg low blow Xelic =o

But seriously I still disagree with you though, everygame I've played competitivly people abandoned when the new one came out, most notably Halo, even the the origional was far better (especially with Halo: Custom Edition).

Puffball, most recently, it was like February and I was playing teams against you with Leprechaun at that canceled Joe Michael tournament at Gamelot.
Was it random teams? Sounds familiar...

BeArR

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he did, but he posts now and then but I know from talking with him via aim that he's doing figures and trying to get things done. So I know for sure that he is definitely working on it.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
we're definitely working on it. There just isn't really a need for us to post much, since what we're asking is what date is best for everyone.

Also, we're probably just gonna keep it a melee thing because of the wii/# of copies of brawl we can get issue. people say "well just make it a small side tournament" but it would not be a small side tourney. everyone who comes would probably want to enter.

I'm not too worried about people abandoning melee within a month of brawl's release. first of all, i wonder how many people will actually get it the day. it's released. Also, it will be so new...we don't know what stages should be legal or any crazy tournament stuff like that.

Xelic

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's not like we're going to pick up Brawl once and be ready to throw competitive tournies for it. We'll all be playing all stages with items on, still missing 2-3 characters etc.

It'll take some time until we're ready to do to Brawl what we've done to Melee.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
The problem is traveling after Brawl comes out. Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't travel too far for a melee OR brawl tournament after brawl comes out, or even anytime just before brawl comes out...well, unless it's my hometown like a week before Xmas when I'd be there anyway. A lot of people are simply ready for melee to die right now.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
The problem is traveling after Brawl comes out. Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't travel too far for a melee OR brawl tournament after brawl comes out, or even anytime just before brawl comes out...well, unless it's my hometown like a week before Xmas when I'd be there anyway. A lot of people are simply ready for melee to die right now.
not me. im always gonna love melee. and i wont even play brawl if sheik and/or sonic isnt in

radi oh oh oh

Smash Rookie
I just hope this thing goes down since i am gonna miss the one happening this weekend. i'd like to make it to an actual melee tournament before brawl comes out. just to see what it's like i've never been to one.

reqy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too worried about people abandoning melee within a month of brawl's release. first of all, i wonder how many people will actually get it the day. it's released. Also, it will be so new...we don't know what stages should be legal or any crazy tournament stuff like that.
I'd say it'd be better if we had the tournament before Brawl's release to make it a little more epic since it's just 2 weeks before Brawl's released. That's just my opinion though(and that I won't be here Christmas time :laugh:). and i say HEY! what a wonderful kind of day. where we work together and play. and get along with each other.

BeArR

Smash Journeyman
The tourney should definitely be before brawl but a nice period of more than one week prior. You don't want people to quit out on it.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Wow i just typed this long message then got disconnected right before i posted it. anyways... I'M BACK! In texas lol. i'm staying in mission texas, so if anyone that lives near Mission or Edinberg or anywhere around that area wants to meet up and play some smash, then just give me a call on my cell at 520 249 3743. I'll be staying here until monday

defsithe

Smash Ace
Wow i just typed this long message then got disconnected right before i posted it. anyways... I'M BACK! In texas lol. i'm staying in mission texas, so if anyone that lives near Mission or Edinberg or anywhere around that area wants to meet up and play some smash, then just give me a call on my cell at 520 249 3743. I'll be staying here until monday
get in contact with us valley crew peeps and maybe we can play sunday?

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Mouf may be right; I say whoever lays down a date and venue first should get dibs on the "big" tournament. But really, neither should get their hopes up for anything WtYM or MOAST size--it's just too late for that. People are retiring left and right and others just don't care enough to travel with Brawl coming up pretty soon. It's the end of Melee's serious competitive scene. I'm not trying to discourage you; if you want to make a tournament, more power to you, I'm sure you can get it at least DaBR3-size. In my opinion, don't get your hopes up for anything more than 40ish people.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
we appreciate everyone's concerns, etc. We aren't asking who thinks we should throw a tournament or whether its a good idea. we ARE throwing a tournament.

what we are asking for are good dates for people and what days everyone (who would be interested in going) has off for thanksgiving.

so please no more about why we shouldnt throw a tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom