• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TEXAS TOURNAMENT!! (planning stages) WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
forkgirl and i are looking into throwing a bjg Texas tournament...we know eveyrone is sick of the small ones...so lets figure out a date that is best...a time where we can get the most people. Ok first things first if i could get a few votes/suggestions on a time for this tournament (name under construction). It would be so much easier to plan all of this if we had a set date and time. Maybe I could get a mod to make a poll for me or somethin.

Copied from: Texas is tired of small tournaments >.>

Ok I’ve only been saying this forever. I agree that all crappy venue and small tournaments have discouraged and lost people's interest in smash on all levels of play.

It seems now that people from different areas should put whatever effort into tournaments (not all these scattered efforts and people who host tournaments that claim their tournament will be the next biggest thing cause there are already 10 places already doing that), find a nice place/venue to host it at even if it requires an entry fee for the place, cause it still beats just paying 15 dollars for singles and 10 for teams, a central location that is convenient for EVERYONE , advertise like crazy (friends get friends/anyone with OOS connections/smashboards), vote on the best time (a time that the majority will be ok with), housing (come on if ya’ll want this to be big someone’s gotta step forward), and of course the big promising pot, cause thats what its alll about. If something actually happens it’s obvious that the entry fee would actually be bigger.

It seems like a lot but with enough DETERMINED and OPTIMISTIC people actually helping out it can be possible. Other than the MLG and MOAST series there have been other successful tournaments like S.E.X, Bluefork, WTYM, HOST, The Valley and some Joe Michael tournaments.

also LOLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZ at texas smashers not being good enough. rob and cave stopped going to MLG tournaments and STILL ended up ranked top 16 over all...Wes went to ONE MLG and made the national mlg power rankings. at MLG dallas last year, how many texans went pro (making top 32)??? AZ, KEN, ISAI, PC Chris, DSF, even other players like mike g and eddie have all came to texas outside of MLG. Its kinda lame to say that no OOS players would come to texas. We'll just have to use the power of $$$$ lol.

Someone should make a thread to solely encourage ideas to make a really big Texas tournament. How does hosting a few bi-weeklies in different areas to save for the one BIG tournament sound? Sort of like what the MOAST circuit was suppose to do. I’d like opinions guys. I would totally be up for helping out or participating in some way. So start looking for venues guyssss and save save save.

The_Cleric

Smash Rookie
Hey this is Tony from the D-Pad,

I dont know if our spot is big enough, but we have about 20 tvs all together and we would be more than happy to try and organize a tournament that big. My business partner and I think that the smash community is the most unique and fun communities to have tournaments for. And we have been dreaming of a way to make the Texas fighting scenes one of the best. So best of luck , and I am willing to help in anyway i can!

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
That's why my best suggestion is around the holidays. People are traveling as it is, and if they have relatives in Texas, that's all the better (HoChiMinh Trail from Chicago for example). Plus school isn't in session. So the latest possible time would be something around Thanksgiving. Or right after finals, so that no one has to leave early and cram when they get home.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
well thanksgiving is "i cant go to a tourney becuase i wanna hang out with my family/johns" time...

how about the christmas holiday?? smiles and i were debating...he thinks we should do it before brawl comes out but i think that brawl will be so new that it wont.

thoughts??

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
I think it would be cool to have one around X-Mas. It just sounds better to have one towards the end of the year, I think it would help it gain momentum, especially if its advertized the right way. If the location and the rest of the info could be decided by the end of the month, it would leave it with enough time to build.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Tony, is there any chance you have pics or an address to your building? I think the New Braunfels area is perfect for a last major tourney before brawl. I really hope this happens.

and oh yea, my vote is that this happens before brawl comes out, if it means anything lol.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Thanks, that helps alot. I give a thumbs up for having it there. But is there a chance it'll be a little crowded with more than 30 people walking around?

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
at our last spot we had a tournament for wii's we had 60 to 65 people show up and that spot was only a 1,000 sq.ft.

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
Hot pockets aside, i think the only thing we need to work on is our AC, its been giving us problems the last couple of days. If anything it might be cold enough not to worry about it. But we have all sorts of food and drinks. we also have two ddr arcades, street fighter 3rd strike, gauntlet legends, and a pool table.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
****it, it'd be awesome if this could get off the ground.

It'd be even more awesome if it took place in San Antonio., San Marcos, or New Braunfels.

I'd cry.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Well doesn't look like this will happen in the next couple days. Aside from that, I think D-Pad is the place to have this. Its about as far as people from Dallas and Houston will be willing to travel, semi-close enough for the valley, and well... HOT POCKETS!

forkgirl

Smash Lord
thanks for the support! :)
yea, the Dpad is awesome!! :) i love the new building. but i'm wondering if it IS big enough...it would be an all day event/possibly 2 days and hopefully a LOT of people will come...I'm worried about everyone fitting comfortably in in so long a time. right now we're trying to find big warehouse-like venues...but everything is still up in the air because we're just trying to find a date right now.

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
I agree if the turnout is very big people might not fit too comfortably. Ill see if i can get a estimate on how many people we can fit for you and if anything we can move things around the main room and the vip room to were it could be more suitable for everyone.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Let me put in my 2 cents.

Best time would probably be around christmas, not sure about TX, but OK gets 2-3 days off for Thanksgiving, excluding weekends. It may not be much, but OK could bring about 10 people to the tourny, I could bring 2 full setups aswell. If it is more than 1 day, housing would be awesome, we could get a hotel if we needed to, but ofcourse, housing would be awesome. A Texas tournament would be really great, I know that people in OK are probably tired of in state tournaments, so this would be a pretty welcomed.

Where in the general region of TX would this be?

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I think Christmas would be a worse time than Thanksgiving. In fact, I think Thanksgiving is the better opportunity of the two options.

I think that, in either choice, people are going to go home, except for us Austin types who only get three days off for Thanksgiving. I definitely think it would be easier for people to get away from their family for a day or two around Thanksgiving. I also think that people will have more expendable money around Thanksgiving, which is a big factor in travel. And I think if the tournament were held around Christmas, you'd have to worry about finals first (UT finals will last until the 15th or so for most people, I think), and second, interest in Melee would definitely be waning. So if you wanted to have a Brawl tournament instead on that date, I think that would be the better option, but then people might still be less willing to travel because they aren't as experienced with the new game (this is iffy, but a possibility).

So I think that, of the two, Thanksgiving is definitely the better option. I'll even do my best to still be in Austin then. Otherwise, I'll get super-depressed. And not just from the tryptophan in the turkey.

ResumeDPosition

Smash Journeyman
whatever the date ends up being, it HAS to be before Brawl comes out, you know, as a final ultimate showdown before we move on *more than likely* to a new generation

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Whoa...I totally underestimated Texas. "UT finals will last until the 15th or so" Yah, I believe last year OK didnt get their break until the 23rd or so. I wouldnt have suggested winter break if I would have known you guys get out that early, ****.

For the Brawl issue, it would be so new that it would virtually be a cstick compitition, I wouldnt enter that tournament. Melee will still be around until some sort of advanced techs are discovered in Brawl. Besides, everybody is going to play free-for-all with items on when brawl first comes out. Heres a quote from Po Pimpus, "Man, Im glad I got to play melee with items before advanced techs came out". You always want to enjoy a game before you make it a sport.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
WtYM3 anyone? :grin: Yes, yes, this is my first post in at least a month, but I'm excited to hear that people want to throw another big TX tourney. I would be more than happy to lend the name of WtYM to this tournament, as well as help plan for and run it. I think sometime during the Christmas holidays would be excellen. We could have the tourney be two days, and have 1 or 2 Brawl tournaments as side tourneys.

I guess this is me coming out from under the rock called life. I'm still alive, and I want to help get this baby going!!! :)

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
I appreaciate all the support guys. To the d-pad crew, thanks a lot for the suggestion for the place and TVs. But the space would be kind of an issue. We do plan for this tournament to be HUGE, and we are going to use the biggest possible venue that we find. If not its always nice to have your place in mind. Were just gonna see how big it can get...in the meanwhile, any other suggestions?

Ok does everyone actually want it before or after brawl?

This was suppose to be one of the last Melee tournaments before brawl comes out. I was talkin to a few people about a side Brawl tournaments. Would be kinda weird due to the lack of Wiis.

It also doesnt have to be exactly on thanksgiving or on any specific vacation. The tourney would probably be 2-3 days, so any weekend inbetween would be an option. just throwin it out there

TGM

Smash Lord
Its best to wait till spring break. there are no more good dates for a tournament to bring in huge numbers. HOST2 is happening on spring break. it will be MLG sponsered. so if you want a huge tourney, i can give it to you then.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
thats awesome!! i cant wait until host2...but in the meantime, we'd like to throw one before christmas...nothing wrong with two big tournies

Velox

Smash Ace
Do it at the D-Pad, the location is excellent.

Why do we have to wait till Christmas when there will be more conflictions due to holiday travel?

Why not have it during a weekend when people can fly in/travel just as well as they could on a holiday. Plus that way you could have it before brawl comes out.

The 1st weekend in October sounds great, who's with me? We don't need 8 months of planing. You could even fit in 2 monthlies before October to raise funds for a large pot.

Let me reiterate that weekend will be better than holdiays to avoid conflicts, you guys are crazy thinking it's the other way around.

Besides, what are we talking about school conflicts for? Most of us are in college, who cares about the high school kids? Most of our conflictions on FRI/SAT/SUN will come from jobs anyway, not school in any form (college or high), so... we all work during holdiays just as much as normal, it's harder to take off those days because everyone's doing it... I seriously fail to see what makes holidays better. Only one crowd benefits, and that is the high school crowd, and they'd probably have to be toted around by their familes during those times anyways...

Plus I think you guys are making a big mistake making a big MELEE touranment after BRAWL comes out. I know that as soon as I get brawl I'm not touching melee anymore. I'm sure 50% percent of the community will feel the same.

TGM

Smash Lord
ok cool. i just think it will be mega hard because christmas and thanksgiving are "family times" and a tourney then would have low turnout. right? or no? your the boss.

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
We will and do have a nice supply of wii's and will have a good supply of brawls. I also think that the tournament should be before brawl comes out. Just because by then i think people will just want to play brawl.

Thedpadowner

Smash Cadet
And if our place isnt big enough what about civic centers in which ever city you want to have it in?
I dont know if thats an easy thing to do or not,but it might be in a small city.

Gobz

Smash Apprentice
are you asking which civic center or what is a civic center? From what i know about civic centers, their conference rooms may be avail, although steep. Also, some have this whole "prestige" issue going on and some wouldn't like being associated with gaming tournaments. They are roomy however.

radi oh oh oh

Smash Rookie
have you guys thought about throwing this in a university or something. student unions are made for this kind of thing. if it is solely a space issue teaming up with a school would fix this provided everyone takes their own equip. plus if you charge entry fees the greedy *******s will take anything you throw at em.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
If you want this to be a melee tournament, I highly, highly recommend doing it before December 3rd. I don't envision anyone traveling for Melee after that.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Besides, what are we talking about school conflicts for? Most of us are in college, who cares about the high school kids? .
You sir, are a jerk.

However, you do make a valid point.

TGM

Smash Lord
If you want this to be a melee tournament, I highly, highly recommend doing it before December 3rd. I don't envision anyone traveling for Melee after that.

thats why if its a 2 or 3 day event, it will have brawl for 2 days and melee on the 3rd day. or melee 2 days then brawl one day. or just brawl one day(singles/teams) and singles melee on the 2nd day. HOST2 will follow one of those 3 ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom