• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas PR - Social Thread

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Panel will absolutely destroy this.
No. It won't. Panels are completely ridiculous and place people in the wrong rankings all the time. I've been on the receiving end of that before and it was because of one person's opinion (I got 7th when I was winning against everyone all the way up to the top 3). It also happened to Dojo, who got placed behind Roy R and tied with DMG for 2nd when he was winning every tournament that he attended.

Panels are inefficient, messy and inaccurate. I know you new gen kids don't realize this, but if you're going to ever listen to Old Man Infinity then now would be the right time to do it.

The only thing that will be wrong with it is that it will be based completely on opinion and have no factual information input in to the system. Wait that's like 3 or 4 things wrong with it, my bad.
There, I fixed that for you.

Apex should have also been included in this PR, but whatever.
Like Genesis was?

Yes, Apex should definitely be counted. The problem is - how? We can't realistically weigh our players against out-of-state players unless they use this ranking system as well.

This is part of the flaw of the E.L.O. ranking system and the game that Zac got the idea from has actually done away with using this system in favor of something that caters to the needs of the community that plays the game rather than basing it off of a ratings system that blankets multiple areas. More focus = more effective in these situations.

On the other hand - that game has multiple international level events every year that absolutely dwarf Apex. 400 Smashers vs 1500+ MtG players kind of puts that in to perspective really.

Gained 33 points from the last update, I believe.
Here's the list of my performance for the current season:

Wins

Swaka x2
Sync x2
Bio x2
Infinity x2
Pj
FK
Denti
Dojo
UTDZac
Infern
Neon
Player-1
Panty
Dapuffster
Yukhoe
Maharbra
Kassandra
Steep
X

Losses

Ally
Reflex
Denti x2
Trela x2
Razer
Gnes
Nietono

Seems pretty ridiculous that I would only gain 33 points from last season to this one, but whatever.
Loser's bracket really really really ****s people over especially when you consider seeding, and people you are practically destined to play mid-way and then likely lose to. Then if you cause an upset later on, it barely ripples the PR because of half points or whatever.
1 - If you're going to list that you've beaten me twice then you should list that you also lost to me once. The only tournament set we've had was at the tournament in the gas station. Make sure you have you information in order before you go publicly putting people on blast because this is the second time you've done something like this to me.

2 - I actually agree with you about loser's bracket. That's what the issue with this system is - you lose more by taking a loss in one round in Winner's bracket than you can make up by winning 2, 3 or even 4 in loser's bracket. If I take a set off of Denti I K Value half of his score away and he takes a substantial loss that he has to make up over the course of multiple rounds. This can be remedied with some math. If only Zac knew someone close to him that was good with mathematics...

Activity is really screwy too.

If Denti keeps up this rate that he's currently at concerning Ft. Worth, he will likely pass up Trela/Gnes despite having a losing record against them, similar to the San Antonio activity earlier on.
I'm pretty sure that Dustin's record against Trela is either even or in Dustin's favor. I'm not sure, but I haven't heard of them playing in a few months. Regardless, I agree with this part as well. Attendance has a much heavier weight on this system than I think Zac had originally intended with his initial design.

Why not combine the two ideas instead of doing away with one or the other? Why not make a panel that can determine what K Value should be assigned to each tournament and then use the results + the determined K Value to reach a result in the player's rankings?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I edited the loss against you even made that post, Infinity.
Disagree with you for the most part on the rest, but opinions are opinions.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I edited the loss against you even made that post, Infinity.
Disagree with you for the most part on the rest, but opinions are opinions.
Yeah, I see that. Thank you.

What parts do you disagree with and why? What advantages do opinions have over facts?

There's a reason that the old school players are saying negative things about a panel making the power rankings. Notice that the panel is made up entirely of new gen players except for one person?

z00ted

I just don't think you know who is currently occupying the panel.
The problem with the panel before was that all the top level players carried it.

Of course there is going to be bias and inaccuracy if each high level player from their respective city represents the panel.

What Sync did was very intelligent.

One top player from their city, and one or two barely above average to low level players on the side. No one that consistently gets top 5 or top 8 at events that actually matter.

This weeds out a ton of bias, while still keeping the main focus of the project in sight.
I'm an advocate of trying something, then if it doesn't work throwing it away.

We tried something almost two years ago, Brawl now is nowhere active as it used to be.
Let's try it again and see what happens.

Denti

Smash Master
I actually think the panel is turning out very accurate. We discuss only relevant issues.

We have the top 10 players, we're just figuring out their order currently.

Only 1st and 2nd and 5th-7th are being discussed, everything else is accurate by results.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
One top player from their city, and one or two barely above average to low level players on the side. No one that consistently gets top 5 or top 8 at events that actually matter.

Edit - I forgot to circle Trela too. My bad.

And I know you said 'one top player from each city.' Just remember your context :p

Also - you avoided what I asked about weighing out opinion vs fact.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Anarchy, come baaaaaaaaaaaack. :(

:phone:

z00ted

There is really no opinion.
The facts lie right there, wins and losses based off of the season.

The only opinion would be which wins are worth more when compared to the others.

Denti

Smash Master
The facts lie right there, wins and losses based off of the season.

The only opinion would be which wins are worth more when compared to the others.
Also our current problem is not enough data too. A few more MK banned tournaments and the panel wouldn't even need discussing.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
If it's a group of people generating an opinion, whether it be based on fact or not, it will never be fact.

In my opinion spaghetti tastes way better than bird ****. I can use sales figures to show you exactly how much better than bird **** spaghetti really tastes. But you may think that bird **** tastes way better and that the sales figures are just a temporary fluke. What then? What if you have an even number of people (say, 8 people) divided on spaghetti vs bird ****? It comes down to opinion.

You take tournament results and plug them in to a computer program and it will reliably give you the same thing in the end every time. Based 100% on fact. No room for opinion or error. HOW is a panel reasonably better than this?

z00ted

Bird ****/Spaghetti correlation was pretty poor, in my opinion.
You basically just said majority rules despite close ties.

Things is, I doubt there are any close ties when it comes to ranking top ten due to concrete evidence.
Taste is opinion. A win or a loss isn't.

From what I know, almost all rankings are unanimous.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I had spaghetti at work today...it was mediocre.

z00ted

I loss to Trela and Denti last HOBO, I had a great time overall.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Also - you avoided what I asked about weighing out opinion vs fact.
/cough

Taste is opinion. A win or a loss isn't.
So what you're saying is you're getting a group of people together to do the exact same thing as the current system does? Create a set of rankings based off of tournament placements?

Now it sounds even more pointless.

Edit - And now, for everyone's viewing pleasure:

Dojo

Smash Champion
Let them do the panel, Sean.

The power rankings is just a representation of where our players stand. Both systems have a ton of flaws including Zac's. Don't ask to not be listed because of stubbornness. Practically everybody thinks they deserve a higher spot on this system and will just as much on the panel.

The panel power rankings may stir up a bit of controversy and debate. But right now, we need that ****. The Texas scene is dying slowly but surely because nobody's actually doing anything to stir up hype anymore. Same people play, same people win, etc, etc. More than likely, not much will come out of it but it's better to do it than not. We need to encourage everything and everybody's ideas if it hasn't been tried lately. I've actually thought of a bunch of things to help encourage city traveling again. More on that later.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yes I always agree with Dojo! I hope my panel will make everyone salty and want to work hard on their performance. I don't pull any punches when comparing wins/losses either.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Let them do the panel, Sean.

The power rankings is just a representation of where our players stand. Both systems have a ton of flaws including Zac's. Don't ask to not be listed because of stubbornness. Practically everybody thinks they deserve a higher spot on this system and will just as much on the panel.
Me?

Stubborn?

Pffffft :p

The panel power rankings may stir up a bit of controversy and debate. But right now, we need that ****. The Texas scene is dying slowly but surely because nobody's actually doing anything to stir up hype anymore. Same people play, same people win, etc, etc. More than likely, not much will come out of it but it's better to do it than not. We need to encourage everything and everybody's ideas if it hasn't been tried lately. I've actually thought of a bunch of things to help encourage city traveling again. More on that later.
The problem we have right now is that the competitive scene has reached a plateau and the same three people are winning all of the major tournaments in the state. It's hard to justify travelling hundreds of miles to lose to the same people over and over =/

</sour****> I'll get off of my soap box now.

Edit - And that's a four letter word that starts with the letter P, kids.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
...poison them?

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Competitive players posses different levels of skill, knowledge, experience and attitude. The panel should rank players based on at least all these criteria. Oh, and who will be ranked? Top 10? Top 20?

z00ted

I was going to say what Dojo said but he beat me to it :(

Top Bottom