• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas PR - Social Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you make a panel then please leave me off of the power rankings. A panel will never be accurate or unbiased and I want nothing to do with that noise.

"well I think this is the best player"

"yeah but I think this is the more bestest player"

"OMG NOOB STFU"

ugh -.-

No type of ranking system should ever be based on opinion. Ever.
Another reason why these panels are silly. People request off of them. Panels also vote inactive players on too apparently?

Let them do the panel, Sean.

The power rankings is just a representation of where our players stand. Both systems have a ton of flaws including Zac's. Don't ask to not be listed because of stubbornness. Practically everybody thinks they deserve a higher spot on this system and will just as much on the panel.

The panel power rankings may stir up a bit of controversy and debate. But right now, we need that ****. The Texas scene is dying slowly but surely because nobody's actually doing anything to stir up hype anymore. Same people play, same people win, etc, etc. More than likely, not much will come out of it but it's better to do it than not. We need to encourage everything and everybody's ideas if it hasn't been tried lately. I've actually thought of a bunch of things to help encourage city traveling again. More on that later.
More bias doesn't really encourage me to do better in game. It doesn't make the game or tournaments more fun. I really liked LSC last year and it was the only time I ever left the city for Smash. Stuff like that is good.

No system is perfect. I see Illmatic extra salty that Denti is farming points off of less skilled players, but that stuff balances out at regionals if you guys actually coordinate events like last year. But inaccuracy will happen the same way with a panel. If Houston and Dallas don't travel to each others tournaments, they won't get accurate refreshment of current skill levels. Assuming Denti loses to Houston top 2-3 at a regional, he would move down in either system.

Tesh

Smash Hero
K, you aren't. From my experience with the Houston PR, panel isn't more accurate than math.

CY

Smash Ace
Me?

Stubborn?

Pffffft :p

The problem we have right now is that the competitive scene has reached a plateau and the same three people are winning all of the major tournaments in the state. It's hard to justify travelling hundreds of miles to lose to the same people over and over =/

</sour****> I'll get off of my soap box now.

Edit - And that's a four letter word that starts with the letter P, kids.
the game is also 4 ****ING years old. there is a reason majority of players have moved on: the game got old and stale. it happens with everything.

btw I agree with you guys making a panel. there is no need for this gigantic list with every TX player when the average TX tournament now a days has 20-30 players. panel is the way to go.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
the game is also 4 ****ING years old. there is a reason majority of players have moved on: the game got old and stale. it happens with everything.

btw I agree with you guys making a panel. there is no need for this gigantic list with every TX player when the average TX tournament now a days has 20-30 players. panel is the way to go.
Yeah and melee is how old? Lol...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No no no no no

Don't turn it into one of those things...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I would do both panel and the system. I like the panel but it's harder than the old days where everyone traveled to everything instead of each major city basically hanging out with each other and occasionally going to that 1 Hobo every few months or that 1 Phase/whatever every few months.

Denti

Smash Master
Just for the record

I don't intentionally farm points, I just attend tournaments. Not like I can say "No! I'm not sending this in because it's not fair! Screw everybody else's work in my region!"

BioDG

Smash Ace
K, you aren't. From my experience with the Houston PR, panel isn't more accurate than math.
From my experience, it is. But only because there's an advantage to HPR having a narrower scope.

But that's beside the point. I have a love/hate affair with TX PR so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

P4, there's been like 5 times in the past week that I was a dollar short on something.

You suck.
LOL this made my day.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Rating top 10 is WAY easier than rating everyone. Exclude the inactive/retired folks and look at the TX PR. Top 8ish is obviously correct. So maybe a panel can make a big difference voting on 9th and 10th best in TX.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
With a panel of new gens/not educated players(no offense to the ones whom apply to what ive said) who allow PERSONAL opinion/PERSONAL interpretation of LIMITED results/SMALL time frame(few tournaments spread between 6-12 months) to making a PR is the definition of bias/uneducated ranking. No to mention the PR will most likely be 10 players long. This means peoples GROWTH in the scene will NOT be seen until they reach top 10. This is NOT promoting competition/growing the scene. Besides all of that, people like dojo/infinity/alsm(examples) and others may not even be on the PR simply because its prob gonna be a MK banned pr.

Math based system fixes all of that

Nothing is more accurate than the math based system. If there are issues with it(and there are, for sure), new lines of code/new parameters can fix it. With the math system, you see where EVERYBODY stands in tx. With a math based system, you see progress after each event(assuming you go to them regularly). THIS promotes competition and leaves no one out.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Rating top 10 is WAY easier than rating everyone. Exclude the inactive/retired folks and look at the TX PR. Top 8ish is obviously correct. So maybe a panel can make a big difference voting on 9th and 10th best in TX.
I wasn't really arguing for a panel across all of TX. I guess I misunderstood where you were going with that post.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Among the active players in Houston, its still pretty active. Only time its a change is when someone asks not to be on or someone moves to or away from Houston.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Holy crap, Xyro said "new gens" and somehow I still agree with the general message of his post.
What is happening!?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
double post, infract
Yeah. I actually have no idea if it's my connection or SWF doing that by this point.
My connection's usually pretty bad, but I also just got a few database errors and a 504.

In any case, that joke's a little overused by this point. Needs more originality.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I had database error connections earlier...crashboards is doing a practice run for the real thing.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
That was probably Xyro's best serious post in a long time.

Denti

Smash Master
The panel has been in construction for like 3 months, why is it such a big deal now? It's only meant to compare to this system. Honestly I kinda want both. The Panel caters to the top players and the system measures everybody else's progress. Seems perfect to me.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's probably a big deal now because it's been brought to attention again. :applejack:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I also considered just doing seasonal resets of the PR, though I'd probably keep some previous tourneys just to have a record. For example, every six months I wipe it clean, but then I add back in the last month of tourneys. That way you can't just rise to the top and sit there *coughmecough*

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
bull****

Look where I'm at on the list. Don't make me **** you all.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Illmatic just for you, I'm using MK against you when the tournaments are MK banned.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Why not combine the two ideas instead of doing away with one or the other? Why not make a panel that can determine what K Value should be assigned to each tournament and then use the results + the determined K Value to reach a result in the player's rankings?
I would do both panel and the system. I like the panel but it's harder than the old days where everyone traveled to everything instead of each major city basically hanging out with each other and occasionally going to that 1 Hobo every few months or that 1 Phase/whatever every few months.
The panel has been in construction for like 3 months, why is it such a big deal now? It's only meant to compare to this system. Honestly I kinda want both. The Panel caters to the top players and the system measures everybody else's progress. Seems perfect to me.
^ There seems to be a trend here...

With a panel of new gens/not educated players(no offense to the ones whom apply to what ive said) who allow PERSONAL opinion/PERSONAL interpretation of LIMITED results/SMALL time frame(few tournaments spread between 6-12 months) to making a PR is the definition of bias/uneducated ranking. No to mention the PR will most likely be 10 players long. This means peoples GROWTH in the scene will NOT be seen until they reach top 10. This is NOT promoting competition/growing the scene. Besides all of that, people like dojo/infinity/alsm(examples) and others may not even be on the PR simply because its prob gonna be a MK banned pr.
Dude, seriously, if Dojo and I are left off just because MK is banned then this will be completely wrong. I actually place BETTER at MK banned tournaments than I do where he's legal and Dojo still makes top 3 @.@

It's probably a big deal now because it's been brought to attention again. :applejack:
I didn't even know they were going through with the panel idea until yesterday. Hence my delayed reaction :p

I also considered just doing seasonal resets of the PR, though I'd probably keep some previous tourneys just to have a record. For example, every six months I wipe it clean, but then I add back in the last month of tourneys. That way you can't just rise to the top and sit there *coughmecough*
ih8u

bull****

Look where I'm at on the list. Don't make me **** you all.
Come out and play and give all these kids the same **** you and Andy gave to M2K and Fiction at Genesis :D

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What Andy and I did?

Oh! OH!

I forgot I named my strong, weathered by the sands of time back, that carries the world on its shoulders Andy.

Top Bottom