• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Testing gah...

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters

DieSuperFly

Smash Lord
I needzzz help with housing for my friend which is my team mate for this tournament =\

He might fly to Austin, Tx and i was wondering if anyone that goes to Hobo from that area can house him and give him a ride to the tournament?????? =(

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I needzzz help with housing for my friend which is my team mate for this tournament =\

He might fly to Austin, Tx and i was wondering if anyone that goes to Hobo from that area can house him and give him a ride to the tournament?????? =(
PM me dude.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
guys, DMG is doing the math for this pool thing as well.

if there is 140 people divided into pools. each player must play 2 matches of 3 stock 6min. cutting any of that down is not good caus eit doesnt give people time to adapt.

im thinking of going all double elim

Esca

Smash Champion
Actually, the main reason for pools is so that you don't pay $15 and lose in 2 rounds. The way DE brackets are seeded, everyone who isn't seeded has to play all the ridiculously good players until the end of the tourney. In pools, you will be with more people of your same skill and you get to play at least 6 rounds in this case. No offense to anyone, but less skilled players can be out as soon as 2 rounds in and they won't last long, especially with a well seeded bracket. It also increases accuracy in placings.

So what are your other reasons for not liking it besides, "it's not as good as you think"?

And what exactly leads you to believe that? You contradict yourself in the same sentence. Although the tourney would be better with pools, it would be better with DE? D:

You guys are crazy! Crazy like a bear

Lee, you may have read that wrong, or maybe it's mi pour grammer. What I was trying to say was that in a tournament this big, it should be ran with pools, and be a two day event, or do a one day, DE.

Gea

Smash Master
The only problem with using a formula for pools is that there's always a few minutes of downtime in between matches. I guess it really boils down to the pool leader in devising the best way to blow through matches while ensuring that people don't wander off.

Anyways, pools are the way to go, but if you're doing pools of 7, only 3 should get out. That's nearly half of a pool getting out as is. If pools are bigger, more people should get out. You shouldn't have more than half a pool advance, especially if you're spent on time.

2 TVs per pool is optimal in my opinion. If you have a player(s) who generally play quick sets (as opposed to people who run the clock) it can REALLY help your pool run faster.

Also generally DE is done after pools. I thought that was kind of assumed.

If you go just with a bracket Allan, you BEST have a team of people to help seed it. People that actually KNOW more than just the top players' names.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I did it wrong

252 minutes total, 4 hours 12 minutes for 6 minute matches

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Guys here is the run down:

Assume there are 140 people there, divided into 20 pools of 7 people. 7 total people in a pool x 6 opponents = 42 matches to be played in one pool. Now, double that because each person you play you are playing them twice, so instead of 42 you have 84 matches for a single pool. Multiply that by the number of pools you have, so 84 x 20 = 1680 matches total that would need to be played by everyone as a whole.

Now, you only have 20 setups. That means only a maximum of 20 matches can occur at the same exact time. Each "batch" of matches takes 6 minutes. 1680 / 20 = 84. 84 is the number of "batches" total. Multiply that by 6 minutes, so 84 x 6 = 504 Minutes. This translates into over 8 hours of gameplay, or 8 hours 24 minutes exact
Dammmmmnnnnnnn

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lee I posted the fixed numbers. 21 matches per pool is correct, not 42... I feel dumb lol. So pools is still feasible I would think.

Gea

Smash Master
New DS version just confirmed.

Slimmer. "DSi" with a camera and music playback enabled. Rumor has it that they took out the GBA slot. Nothing else announced right now.

Edit: confirmed. No GBA slot. So I doubt I'll get it.

http://www.joystiq.com/ to look at it.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Dear crap! I leave for a few hours and look what happens :p

I'm not trying to be rude, but we've got a bunch of people who are spreading misinformation about something they aren't familiar with.

Only 3 people getting out of pools is crazy. The only tournament I can recall that happening at was OC3 and EVERYONE hated it.

AT LEAST 4 people need to make it out.
You have to look at it proportionally. Since there are more pools, you will have less people from each one get out. Think about it. 20 pools, each with at least one well placing player. If 3 get out, that's the top 60 players advancing. The other players get 6 rounds each. It's ****ing amazing.

ALSO, it does not matter how many TVs you have per pool, it is how many pools you have that count. The moe pools, the less rounds for each pool to make it quicker. The amount of TVs per pool are completely irrelevant because they are dispersed amongst the players anyway.

Also, your math is still off DMG. You put each match at 6 minutes, when realistically it will be between 4 and 6, so it will be less than your predicted amount.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Also, your math is still off DMG. You put each match at 6 minutes, when realistically it will be between 4 and 6, so it will be less than your predicted amount.

Still have to think about the minute or 2 inbetween player matches that people are moving around, determining who won, and getting a new match set up. Although it's still probably shorter it may not be by much.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Still have to think about the minute or 2 inbetween player matches that people are moving around, determining who won, and getting a new match set up. Although it's still probably shorter it may not be by much.
Yes, I just did 6 minutes to get a good estimate since it will take time to pick characters, stages, get seated, wait for the game to load, etc.

heytallman

CTALL
New DS version just confirmed.

Slimmer. "DSi" with a camera and music playback enabled. Rumor has it that they took out the GBA slot. Nothing else announced right now.

Edit: confirmed. No GBA slot. So I doubt I'll get it.

http://www.joystiq.com/ to look at it.
Wow the lack of a GBA slot just instantly turned me off to it. It sounds cool how you can take pictures now and download stuff via the Wii and store it in an internal hard drive, but I love mah GBA games!!!

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Also, with pools you have accountability. In the last HOBO so many people didn't hear their matches or people would play friendlies inbetween and it took abso****inglutely forever.

If you have pool leaders and a group at a TV, then the leader can not allow anyone to **** around and if you leave the pool without telling your leader you lose the match immediately. It goes much quicker than you think.

I also think you should still do 2 stock 5 min timer for pools. Nearly every tournament that uses pools changes the format for pools play then restores 3 stock 8 min for the DE bracket.

And also, I think only 2 people from each pool should advance. That's more than 1 in 4, which is about the standard.

Xyro77

lets put it this way. i need 1vs1(140people) and teams(45+teams) to all be done before or at midnight

i would reduce time limits but not stock. and i think top 3 should go if its 7 per pool

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Need to be done before midnight?

2 stock pools with top 2 advancing, 3 stock bracket.

You have so many games in pools that the skill accuracy is solidified even with the reduction in stock. The point of pools is to give lesser players more games and to also weed them out for the bracket. If you have 20 pools with 2 advancing, that is the top 40 players - which is PLENTY. All you have to do is seed the pool so that there are only 2 at most of players who place top 32 at a typical event. It's really easy and I'd be willing to help out completely.

Xyro77

dear god. ill go with what you say but i think 3 stock should stay for pools. and reduce time to like 5 min

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So 2 stock pools, 5-6 minutes? Sounds good. Wow.

Edit: Wait I thought we decided to do pools after I corrected my math and with Lee's manly support?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
look, i wasn't saying that we even have to do 2 stock, i was just suggesting it. you said you needed out by midnight, so i offered what i think would work best. 3 stock 6 min will still be fine!
Yeah it's not the stock that matters compared to the time limits.

So Allan, pools back on?

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Alright. I did kind of sound like a douche bag when I said that. The reason why I think that less than two stock is a bad idea is that it can be awfully hard to make a come back when you get gimped early on in the match. With three stock, there is still a good chance that you can work around and early stock loss.

As for the timer, I actually like that idea. It kills two birds with one stone. Its pushes the action (unless you play like Plank), and it cuts down on match time. Five minutes matches could definitely work.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Top two advancing is a horrible idea and I don't think it's ever been used in any tournament.

Also, the vast majority of tournaments (melee and brawl) leave the stock amount the same in pools.

I didn't realize there would only be 7 people in each pool. 3 people getting out is fine. If it goes up to 9 make it 4. 11+ make it 5.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
3 stock, 5-6 minute timer, and i agree about hylian's ratio for advancing players.

Just make sure the pool leaders aren't panzies and this will easily work.

and with 20 pools... i know there aren't more than 20 people that are coming that are absolutely **** in tourneys, so you stick one of them in each pool. Then distribute the mediocre-good players accordingly. And of course there are plenty of balls terrible randoms that show up to fill the rest of the pool.

This is DELICIOUS!

Brandonbrp

Smash Rookie
** Smash Fest Free*** 10-03-2008 Train For Hobo 11

http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2540

FREE SMASH FEST HURRY UP AND REGISTER WE ARE LOOKNI AT 21 PEOPLE SO FAR N COUNTING 10-03-2008

Top Bottom