• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell Me Why YOUR Main is Underrated or Viable

Do You Think That Your Main is Underrated?

• Total voters

makemesmellbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
makemesmellbad
Switch FC
SW-1177-4478-7793
I'd say Villager isn't underrated since most good players can easily adapt to the patterns that a lot of villagers do. Of course, higher-level villagers will mix it up, but even then, there's a reason you see characters like Sheik, Pikachu, Rosa, Luigi, and ZSS show up in top 10 at tournaments, and that reason is that those characters tend to deal with projectiles easily.
Luigi gets walled out by projectiles fairly easily, lol. All he has is Fireball, and if that doesn't go through a move, then he loses his safest approach coverage.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
:4dk:'s underrated for sure.
It was only recently that I myself have come to see the light. M2K has shown some incredible combos DK can do. While he certainly isn't perfect, sleeping on him is an easy way to lose a quick stock.
Also, :4dedede: and :4feroy: deserve far more respect than they've been getting in this thread.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
:4dk:'s underrated for sure.
It was only recently that I myself have come to see the light. M2K has shown some incredible combos DK can do. While he certainly isn't perfect, sleeping on him is an easy way to lose a quick stock.
Also, :4dedede: and :4feroy: deserve far more respect than they've been getting in this thread.
I don't think anyone is sleeping on DK or Roy, I think a lot of us know they are both good, right? For Dedede I really don't think he can be good the way he is now.

According To Keikaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
berdvan
3DS FC
5258-1034-2355
Luigi gets walled out by projectiles fairly easily, lol. All he has is Fireball, and if that doesn't go through a move, then he loses his safest approach coverage.
That is true, but Sheik, Rosa, Pika, etc. are still a different story. Would the fireball thing cover Mario as well? I mean, I know he has the cape, so he can reflect, but it's not like a good Mario wants to cape all the time.

makemesmellbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
makemesmellbad
Switch FC
SW-1177-4478-7793
That is true, but Sheik, Rosa, Pika, etc. are still a different story. Would the fireball thing cover Mario as well? I mean, I know he has the cape, so he can reflect, but it's not like a good Mario wants to cape all the time.
But a good Mario knows when to cape. And Mario's fireballs are actually better, imo, because they are more flexible with the fact that they react with gravity. Mario can effectively fireball camp/set up much better than Luigi because his has more range, versatility, and he has more aerial movement speed, so he can weave in and out of opponents range while constantly bombarding them with fireballs from mid range.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't think so... DDD is just lacking in so many ways, and Roy is overrated as heck.

DDD has a few notable matchups, mostly your typical swordsmen like Marth or Pit. (Kinda hard for them to play the zoning game when they're completely outranged and their aerials have issues reflecting Gordos namely.) But besides that there's nothing redeeming to the character. If I had to describe DDD's problems with one word, it'd be overkill. DDD has power and massive disjointed range, but it's much more then necessary most of the time and yet he still has the equivalent cons of the aspects combined.

Roy, as soon as you step off of Smashboards, "paire swod is top tier" is considered to be an undeniable fact while plainly better characters like Marth and Pit are considered to be worse for no apparent reason besides people not actually understanding what Roy does and doesn't do better then them. The reality is that Roy is simply a hot mess like Little Mac was where people only see the pros and not the cons, and this isn't coming to light because people aren't actually using Roy due to him being DLC.

According To Keikaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
berdvan
3DS FC
5258-1034-2355
But a good Mario knows when to cape. And Mario's fireballs are actually better, imo, because they are more flexible with the fact that they react with gravity. Mario can effectively fireball camp/set up much better than Luigi because his has more range, versatility, and he has more aerial movement speed, so he can weave in and out of opponents range while constantly bombarding them with fireballs from mid range.
That makes sense, I just wasn't sure.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I don't think so... DDD is just lacking in so many ways, and Roy is overrated as heck.

DDD has a few notable matchups, mostly your typical swordsmen like Marth or Pit. (Kinda hard for them to play the zoning game when they're completely outranged and their aerials have issues reflecting Gordos namely.) But besides that there's nothing redeeming to the character. If I had to describe DDD's problems with one word, it'd be overkill. DDD has power and massive disjointed range, but it's much more then necessary most of the time and yet he still has the equivalent cons of the aspects combined.

Roy, as soon as you step off of Smashboards, "paire swod is top tier" is considered to be an undeniable fact while plainly better characters like Marth and Pit are considered to be worse for no apparent reason besides people not actually understanding what Roy does and doesn't do better then them. The reality is that Roy is simply a hot mess like Little Mac was where people only see the pros and not the cons, and this isn't coming to light because people aren't actually using Roy due to him being DLC.
Well, 'Lancer, I've agreed with you a heck of a lot over these years, but I HAVE to disagree on Roy. He's a fantastic rushdown character with quite a few options. Maybe it's just how I play him, but he feels like a cross between Sheik and Falcon, only with a sword. He's got great air speed, good approach options, and tilts that can kill. Tilts, for goodness sake!
So yeah, I don't know why you don't like him, but he's one my mains, and not just because of 'teh ph1r3.'

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, 'Lancer, I've agreed with you a heck of a lot over these years, but I HAVE to disagree on Roy. He's a fantastic rushdown character with quite a few options. Maybe it's just how I play him, but he feels like a cross between Sheik and Falcon, only with a sword. He's got great air speed, good approach options, and tilts that can kill. Tilts, for goodness sake!
So yeah, I don't know why you don't like him, but he's one my mains, and not just because of 'teh ph1r3.'
Ah, I remember you now. Feels like it's been a while and I don't recognize the avi...

You're pretty off the mark though. Roy isn't a rushdown character. While his dash and air speeds are some of the highest in the game, he lacks any good approach moves outside of Nair. (Hence the "hot mess.") Nair is good, but one merely good approaching move does not a rushdown character make. His other aerials are terrible for approaching because the autocancels are timed for Marth and not Roy's 1.5x faster fallspeed, and the endlag isn't especially fast either. Dash grab's range is pitiful and dash attack is basically lag incarnate. Captain Falcon is basically dash grab/attack the character, so I seriously don't understand the comparison. Roy's combos are almost all DI'd the same way, up and out, and they require serious reads to even string together properly. Even Marth's combo game is better.

I'm basically a broken record at this point, but if you're looking at approach options then Pit is strictly the better character. Each and every one of Pit's aerials SHAC, three can be SHFF'd to a significant extent, and only one isn't suitable as an everyday approach option being a Uair and all. Pit's dash attack is safe on shield and distorts his hurtbox, while his dash grab is at least top ten in non-tether grab reach. No, Pit's damage output isn't as good as Roy's, but Pit can't be gimped in most matchups at all and his floaty-ness combined with his jumps keeps him well out of reach of combos, while Roy is both easy to gimp and combo fodder.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Ah, I remember you now. Feels like it's been a while and I don't recognize the avi...

You're pretty off the mark though. Roy isn't a rushdown character. While his dash and air speeds are some of the highest in the game, he lacks any good approach moves outside of Nair. (Hence the "hot mess.") Nair is good, but one merely good approaching move does not a rushdown character make. His other aerials are terrible for approaching because the autocancels are timed for Marth and not Roy's 1.5x faster fallspeed, and the endlag isn't especially fast either. Dash grab's range is pitiful and dash attack is basically lag incarnate. Captain Falcon is basically dash grab/attack the character, so I seriously don't understand the comparison. Roy's combos are almost all DI'd the same way, up and out, and they require serious reads to even string together properly. Even Marth's combo game is better.

I'm basically a broken record at this point, but if you're looking at approach options then Pit is strictly the better character. Each and every one of Pit's aerials SHAC, three can be SHFF'd to a significant extent, and only one isn't suitable as an everyday approach option being a Uair and all. Pit's dash attack is safe on shield and distorts his hurtbox, while his dash grab is at least top ten in non-tether grab reach. No, Pit's damage output isn't as good as Roy's, but Pit can't be gimped in most matchups at all and his floaty-ness combined with his jumps keeps him well out of reach of combos, while Roy is both easy to gimp and combo fodder.
Well, I feel like we're at a bit of an impasse, and I don't want to see this devolve into pointless bickering.
Any chance we could play a few friendly matches and #SettleItInSmash?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, I feel like we're at a bit of an impasse, and I don't want to see this devolve into pointless bickering.
Any chance we could play a few friendly matches and #SettleItInSmash?
Maybe late tonight if I'm up for it then or over the weekend. If it doesn't turn out you can always find me in the Pit social though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At this time, I'd say there are two characters in the roster that are very heavily underrated: :4megaman::4wiifit:.

:4megaman:

This character reminds me a lot of Diddy in the early Brawl days. Most people though Diddy was slightly above average at best until some top level players mastered his glide toss and blew his metagame wide open. I think the same will eventually happen to Megaman. He has crazy good glide toss and footstool options that put most of the cast to shame and it's going to be exciting to watch this character grow. Like Brawl Diddy, it may take a couple of years for him to really get off the ground though.

:4wiifit:

Aside from Ike, she's arguably the character that has improved the most from the patches. In the last major patch, nearly all her major problems were fixed (weird grab, lack of kill power, extremely precise hitboxes, etc) and she's almost like a whole new character now. Her tool kit is pretty impressive too:

-Two air stalls.
-Two projectiles that can reasonably kill.
-Two options to heal health.
-Three spikes.
-A move that buries people.
-A move that boosts her knockback.
-One of the best wall jumps
-Some of the best ledge trump options in the game.
-Deceptive hitboxes with weird knockback trajectories.
-A recovery deceptively good enough to where she can recover from the bottom corner of Smashville.
-One of the best jugglers in the game.

She practically has everything now aside from a decent approach (but she can force her opponent to approach instead) and a set up grab. This being said, she's like a less threatening version of Shiek and only a few of the high tier characters are really holding her back at this point.

Last edited:

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Ganon has nothing guaranteed, but he hits like a tank, he has a few strings and a few options to cover(albeit they're unsafe) he gets easily overwhelmed and his biggest problem is getting in, once he gets in and gets 1 read... that's like 30 percent. Also has great edge guarding and an ok solution to shields.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
At this time, I'd say there are two characters in the roster that are very heavily underrated: :4megaman::4wiifit:.

:4megaman:

This character reminds me a lot of Diddy in the early Brawl days. Most people though Diddy was slightly above average at best until some top level players mastered his glide toss blew his metagame wide open. I think the same will eventually happen to Megaman. He has crazy good glide toss and footstool options that put most of the cast to shame and it's going to be exciting to watch this character grow. Like Brawl Diddy, it may take a couple of years for him to really get off the ground though.

:4wiifit:

Aside from Ike, she's arguably the character that has improved the most from the patches. In the last major patch, nearly all her major problems were fixed (weird grab, lack of kill power, extremely precise hitboxes, etc) and she's almost like a whole new character now. Her tool kit is pretty impressive too:

-Two air stalls.
-Two projectiles that can reasonably kill.
-Two options to heal health.
-Three spikes.
-A move that buries people.
-A move that boosts her knockback.
-One of the best wall jumps
-Some of the best ledge trump options in the game.
-Deceptive hitboxes with weird knockback trajectories.
-A recovery deceptively good enough to where she can recover from the bottom corner of Smashville.
-One of the best jugglers in the game.

She practically has everything now aside from a decent approach (but she can force her opponent to approach instead) and a set up grab. This being said, she's like a less threatening version of Shiek and only a few of the high tier characters are really holding her back at this point.
I agree with you about Wii Fit, but I don't think Megaman is really underrated, just not really represented that much. He is kind of like where Yoshi is, great character but rarely seen in tournaments.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with you about Wii Fit, but I don't think Megaman is really underrated, just not really represented that much. He is kind of like where Yoshi is, great character but rarely seen in tournaments.
Which is part of the problem because he's taking longer to develop than other characters. That said, I'd say he's underrated because he's under developed. A couple of months ago I would have said the same thing about Greninja and Metaknight but there are some players that are starting to come up through the ranks that are starting to turn heads with them so it isn't as hard to advocate their potential like it is for Megaman and Wii Fit.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Which is part of the problem because he's taking longer to develop than other characters. That said, I'd say he's underrated because he's under developed. A couple of months ago I would have said the same thing about Greninja and Metaknight but there are some players that are starting to come up through the ranks that are starting to turn heads with them so it isn't as hard to advocate their potential like it is for Megaman and Wii Fit.
Well I guess we just have to wait for Megaman's turn to shine. It will probably happen eventually.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi at this point is both overrated and underrated.

The overrated thing about him is, people put him in crazy spots like Top 5 when he really is not. He has shaky MU spread against high tiers and below (Going even with Zelda and Samus, loses to Little Mac, loses against Greninja, Pac, and Mega), and combined with his results lately he doesn't deserve Top 5 spot. I don't even think he is top tier.

The underrated thing about him is, people often forget how good his aerials are, and when people hear or read Luigi they mostly think of D-throw. So MU discussions usually go like 'Oh look. My character can keep Luigi from getting a grab, my character wins git rekt scrub'. People also often forget how useful shields are for him. With that shield regeneration, you can't really wall Luigi out with projectiles if he is doing it right. He WILL get in and he WILL deal damage. Some walls are harder to bypass than others but there isn't a projectile wall Luigi can't break.

Just my 2 cents.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Luigi at this point is both overrated and underrated.

The overrated thing about him is, people put him in crazy spots like Top 5 when he really is not. He has shaky MU spread against high tiers and below (Going even with Zelda and Samus, loses to Little Mac, loses against Greninja, Pac, and Mega), and combined with his results lately he doesn't deserve Top 5 spot. I don't even think he is top tier.

The underrated thing about him is, people often forget how good his aerials are, and when people hear or read Luigi they mostly think of D-throw. So MU discussions usually go like 'Oh look. My character can keep Luigi from getting a grab, my character wins git rekt scrub'. People also often forget how useful shields are for him. With that shield regeneration, you can't really wall Luigi out with projectiles if he is doing it right. He WILL get in and he WILL deal damage. Some walls are harder to bypass than others but there isn't a projectile wall Luigi can't break.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you about how he is overrated, but I think EVERYBODY knows how good his aerials are.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I agree with you about how he is overrated, but I think EVERYBODY knows how good his aerials are.
Only when X aerial is in the same sentence as 'Down throw'.

I don't think I've ever seen much of 'Luigi's SH game is really good!'. Hell, I looked in Luigi's neutral thread and none of Luigi mains even mentioned SH B-air or F-air. Maybe it's just me who haven't bought much tickets to other competitive threads but so far I've not found much.

Morbi

Scavenger
Link is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO underrated. He has so many good options to explore, but because of brawl, no one says he is good. People need to stop playing FG spammy Links and fight dudes like @Izaw. @SCIZOR , @link and ike lover and HH and even others and me if you want a good legit Link.

:link:
Link certainly has a surprising level of depth (those bomb set-ups though) that was not really present in Brawl and a lot of his weaknesses are no longer inherent issues with the character. Certain small changes from previous incarnations such as his d-air and dash attack are ample reward for the risk. Most importantly, he has more options and he is much more safe. The buffs to his grab game further cement that sentiment (unintentional rhyming for the win). I still miss his grounded Melee up-special though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
People in this thread should stop confusing underrated with just being bad.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Marth's underrated in some match ups for sure. There aren't any high level Marths yet. Mainly because he's not a good enough character to play in every, or at least most match ups. He has great movement, frame traps, and a respectable pressure game, but no one showcases any of it well. I main Falcon, and use Marth and Falco specifically for match ups I feel they win no contest like Falco vs DDD.

It's going to get to a point where I'll have to put up or shut up again. Looking forward to that.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Marth's underrated in some match ups for sure. There aren't any high level Marths yet. Mainly because he's not a good enough character to play in every, or at least most match ups. He has great movement, frame traps, and a respectable pressure game, but no one showcases any of it well. I main Falcon, and use Marth and Falco specifically for match ups I feel they win no contest like Falco vs DDD.

It's going to get to a point where I'll have to put up or shut up again. Looking forward to that.
I honestly believe that buffing his throws and DB is all it would take for Marth to have the ability to become a high tier.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
DB got buffed already. You buff it again it will be better then Brawl where it was probably the second best special move in the game after Mach Tornado.

This is why these threads kinda suck. You got people asking for stuff that might break the character or overtune them in some way that's not necessary.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
DB got buffed already. You buff it again it will be better then Brawl where it was probably the second best special move in the game after Mach Tornado.

This is why these threads kinda suck. You got people asking for stuff that might break the character or overtune them in some way that's not necessary.
I don't agree with you often, but this is so true. People often suggest the dumbest ways to improve their characters its astounding. Its like everyone wants their main to be as easy as luigi without any of the drawbacks.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
There is, or at least was a buff and nerf request thread somewhere on the boards. Besides, Dancing Blade's a solid move. You just have to know how to use it on every character at many percent ranges. Little things like knowing not to use the up angled versions on characters that crouch when landing like Sheik isn't what makes a move bad. It's what makes a character good. Back when I played Street Fighter I remember Elena coming out and everyone complaining about her hurtbox needing a "fix". The thing is she's a character from Street Fighter 3 that has always had odd hurtboxes on her moves. It would've been a really bad idea to buff every single character's moves that completely whiffed because of her. The same goes for Dancing Blade. Learn the move, adapt, and appreciate what you have now.

I don't want to go off topic, but layers need to level up. A better thread name would be "Tell me why YOU are considered "underrated" or a pot monster. It's pretty discouraging to play a character that the majority see as "unviable". Marth players aren't as evolved as more commonly used character mains. The same can be said about a lot of underused characters. When will we see an evolved Wii Fit Trainer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEVbnTr7Fis One of the only Diddy players adapting and getting results. Meta Knight is probably the most recent character to get a good representation in high level play and stay there.

..............I'm way off topic. Marth's under rated as he is now. Dancing Blade isn't used at high level play for some reason. It's a great move if you have the movement to make it a viable option.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I seriously think Robin is underrated; his air game alone is worth the asking price. And those disjointed hits, the sheer variety of projectiles, the traps, the ability to jump between playstyles. And also my personal favourite when the going gets tough... ZE HEALZ.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I honestly think Marth is exactly the way people see him. Sure there is room for improvement but overall he is kinda underequipped to face off against alot of the high-tier characters.

I do think he is a good character, though.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I just got destroyed by a good Mega Man the other day. I had no idea he could be so slippery...

Mamaluigi145

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mamaluigi145
3DS FC
4785-7755-8492
I am a Game and Watch main because I enjoy glass cannon type of characters with a lot of different combos and has a very good custom game. The only thing I think he has trouble with is his kills

FallenHero

Smash Ace
So ZeRo has something to say about Roy:
https://youtu.be/X504v3v3iqQ
I hope he does puick up Roy in this game and use him in tournaments, but I am not sure I agree with him. I think the only reason we have not seen him being used much is because he is a newer character. We still don't see many Lucas or Mewtwo players and Ryu is used more than them, but still not used all that much.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I don't agree with you often, but this is so true. People often suggest the dumbest ways to improve their characters its astounding. Its like everyone wants their main to be as easy as luigi without any of the drawbacks.
Who are you talking to?

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I hope he does puick up Roy in this game and use him in tournaments, but I am not sure I agree with him. I think the only reason we have not seen him being used much is because he is a newer character. We still don't see many Lucas or Mewtwo players and Ryu is used more than them, but still not used all that much.
There's a reason we don't see a lot of Mewtwo, and it's not because he's new, imo.

D

Deleted member 189823

Smash 4 is probably the most balanced Smash game, considering that it is being actively balanced.
Due to this, you can main most characters on the roster and still be viable.
Bet yo' ass it is. And even so, people STILL find an excuse for it not to be. "oh but pre-patch diddy/sheik".

Cons - PK Fire can't chain. Still easy to gimp the recovery. The Zair is too short and tough to recover with. Up-b isn't a killing option. Hardly any options out of F-Throw, U-Throw, and B-Throw. PK Freeze can't be used in the air, it puts you in free fall. Very few options overall, you have to constantly think of new options. Up Smash has a lot of lag, so it is kind of useless. This doesn't seem like a lot of things. But few options should act as 500 cons.
Those are lack of strengths in said aspects, rather than weaknesses. You don't need other combo throws if one works very well as it is. (:

I'm sure you guys can cover many other characters. So, thats it for me. Go crazy.
My two mains, Bowser and Yoshi. Bowser, specifically. Yoshi's sort of easily recognized a High tier character, even if he doesn't have much of any results to back it up.

Bowser, however...

He's SUPER underrated. Yes, we are combo food and we will always be. That's Bowser. Yet, they give us the perfect Bowser, this time around. He has a decent frame data, a ton of kill (and RELIABLE kill options) and he isn't bad at racking up damage. Seems to me there just aren't any significant Bowser representants. Instead, we have Bowser mains themselves complaining about why he isn't winning or whatever. Yes, Rosalina's pretty hard, but Sheik's pretty tolerable when he isn't killing you until 180 if you're doing it right.

Top Bottom