• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teams Tier List: version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'm able to take a stock off PP in Kirby dittos. Or at least, I was the last time we played. I wanted us to go double Kirby at a local tournament, but apparently he cares more about doing well than messing with people.

Ganon/Peach is a pretty good team. Peach down smashes for damage, Ganondorf punches, Peach edge guards. A Ganon/Peach team got 5th at GENESIS 1 by the way

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ganon/Peach is a pretty good team. Peach down smashes for damage, Ganondorf punches, Peach edge guards. A Ganon/Peach team got 5th at GENESIS 1 by the way
Ya for sure, I actually won with that setup plenty of times in locals and also did well at larger tournaments with that team too. Like either 2nd or 3rd.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Interesting, but some of it looks stretched. The thing about teams is that there are still good and bad characters, only the tier list is narrower than it is in singles. Ie the gap between Fox and Kirby is much bigger in singles.

There should be less tiers in my opinion.

Zelda is so high...
Yoshi gets gimped easily in teams, probably should be a couple spots lower.

Game and Watch should be lower. His defense is terrible as it is in singles and can't handle pressure; once he loses control he gets ***** badly. In teams more so because there is more chaos and he really can't even shield to save his life.

Doc/Mario should be closer together. Mario's main downside compared to his counterpart is his poor killing ability, in teams it isn't as detrimental as your partner also assist in killing. Mario's slightly better recovery helps in not getting gimped as easily here.

Bing

Smash Master
I think Zelda's decent recovery length and fair and bair are game changers, add the fact that there are now "3" targets, you give her more options.

But at the same time, shes a slower characters, who doesnt fair too well against many characters such as Fox/Falco etc.

Plus theres the Down-B Clause...

Zelda probably improves the most in teams out of any character

She doesn't get juggled as hard anymore

She can put her far reaching recovery to use

Space toes for kills

McNinja

Smash Ace
Luigi and Pikachu are essentially 2 of the best teams characters.
They have everything need and what they provide a team is beyond most of the best singles characters. Teaming Pika with someone who can deal damage and Luigi with someone who doesn't need help recovering (even team them with each other) and they're set. Which is a lot easier to fill than what almost all other characters need help with in doubles.

It's all about the players in the end though.
:)
Can you put more evidence behind this? I like where it's going.

:phone:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Pikachu at least needs to switch positions with Samus. Samus is definitely not mid tier in teams, and Pikachu needs to be much, much higher.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well that would mean I'd have to do a teams tier list, though Im a lot more comfortable doing that rather than doing a singles one with my experience.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey like... Pichu is not actually too bad in teams. He's still not great, but he does pretty good.
I'd put him above mewtwo for sure.
Link should also be lower on the list.

past_b

Smash Apprentice
How can Samus not be mid tier? Plup and Hbox got 2nd at apex remember?
Well I feel like samus is more valuable teaming up with an hbox or an armada because of their ability to effectively float over samus's incoming projectiles.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thats pretty flimsy reasoning yo
But it's the truth. Team combos and quick gimps are game changers and Link has the ability to do that in teams. Sure it's hard to control space with him, but he's a good character for support overall. Nice projectiles to annoy the other team, I mean that he can shoot stuff over his friend to interrupt lots of things. You have to remember it's 2v2 so getting comboed as Link is less serious because your partner can save you and it should be that way always. I do feel like Link is pretty good to continue some chaos when combos happen and can do some awesome setups. He can also save his partner off-stage better than most characters. I mean overall he is pretty average but I do think he's better in teams than in singles.

I mean more often than not even lower tiers, their weaknesses are much less apparent because your ally can cover them a lot better. And with the higher tiers, it's actually harder to play efficiently. With Link, i'd say a character that can combo start fast is good or maybe someone that can kill early.. or even someone that is fast to interrupt combos is also good.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Zelda is amazing in teams until the other team catches on to her weaknesses.

She becomes a lot worse after that point, but I still feel that her placing on the original post is pretty accurate.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya she has good killing power and can also change the momentum pretty quickly. But she has a hard time helping her partner though.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
How can Samus not be mid tier? Plup and Hbox got 2nd at apex remember?
I do. But I don't remember how results actually impacted tier placings.

Maybe you should remind me.

What I can say is that Samus's recovery which is so relatively strong in singles becomes significantly less potent in doubles, because of how long it takes, giving more time for iso on her teammate. Teaming with Jiggs helped with this because of how hard Jiggs is to isolate. Samus can speed up her recovery, but she forfeits a lot of options in so doing. This makes her use as a tank less effective, too, because her opponent is going to get teamed up on me.

Furthermore, she has no safe way of breaking up double teams without really threatening her teammate. She can't contribute to team combos without leaving her safe zone on the ground. Her singles strength in defense doesn't carry over to 1v2 situations, as any aggression by one player is inherently a bait by the other player, and in 1v1s, she's only mid-tier to begin with.

The only real strength she retains is that she can edgeguard really effectively without support, allowing her opponent to maintain isolation while she takes care of characters she's edgeguarding. But even in those cases, edgeguarding is of less importance in teams than in singles.

The main reason puff/samus worked is because the two characters don't really get in each others way, and Samus's massive issues in dealing with iso are mitigated, as I said, by the fact that Jiggs is really hard to isolate effectively. This made the team a solid mid-to-high tier team, which can naturally get second, and possibly even win, in a tournament, but it doesn't mean Samus is a viable choice across the board.

Armada

Smash Lord
Kage: How is Hbox/Plup a really good reason for Samus being on a specific spot/part in teams?

Samus is okay but I think useing results like that is not a really good way to create a list.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Pikachu is SOOO good in teams. Gimp game is a synch, recovery is fantastic, good kill moves , speed. He ranks in the high tiers

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm the only one who cares, but I'm gonna post this any way (elaborating on my previous post):

Pichu is a lot better in teams than he is in singles. I don't think he should be high tier or anything, but in doubles he's just like a worse pika (you could argue thats how he is in singles too, but I feel like they play more similarly in doubles).
He dies quickly, which is his major weakness in teams, but he has a great gimp game (not as good as Pika's, but still good).
He's a decent support character, and Jolts are pretty awesome in doubles.
People also don't really get to chaingrab pichu in doubles, which helps him a lot.
And people aren't able to keep Pichu out as easily, which is also helpful.
If it gets down to 2v1, Pichu is pretty awesome at double teaming people. He can do some pretty awesome combo setups.
However, if Pichu gets 2v1'd, he's pretty helpless.

all in all, some of his major weaknesses are not major factors in doubles, however, the fact that he dies quickly and can't handle pressure well prevent him from being very good.
I think he should be higher than he is currently listed, but not by a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom