• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt parties in anonymous wifi.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
It's almost ironic how typically all of the best players in basic brawl are the ones taunting.
That's cause all the other good players left With Anyone. Seriously, who wants to fight a bunch of noobs? But yeah, taunters tend to be pretty good. Sometimes I even wish I can have a real battle with them. Though what's better is having AT/glitch contests with them.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Try as i might to disrupt every taunt party i find, the disconnect is often the best defense. Sometimes when i'm bored i seek out the taunt parties just to break em up. Then if i get overcome by a 3 on 1, or just bored of knocking taunters around, i disconnect. I just wish i could see the look on their face when the white message pops up on the screen putting an abrupt end to their little play date.

Taunt all u like, but if i have anything to do with it expect to be interrupted and hopefully disconnected. Keep up the good work Sarah.
How do you know they get disconnected too? lol

I entered a taunt party and they all jumped me :laugh: I won the matches though then they left :)

Excel889

Smash Rookie
I guess it is BASIC Brawl. If you want a fight where you take things seriously and practice techniques, you really shouldn't be in Basic Brawl anyway. I was involved in a so-called "taunt party" today, and personally, I thought it was refreshing and funny! Also, personally, I prefer the air. =P -coughs-

That being said, I'm kinda confused at why people would get angry enough to try to kick people off. And I'm curious to the same degree as the person above, how do you even know they get disconnected too? Is there proof of this?

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
The worst taunting is when someone is Wario. Oh god. WAH, WAH, WAH!

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Aren't you sad you'll never know who that person was?

With Anyone should've had an "Add as a Friend" thing.
Nintendo sucks, that's all I have to say.

I posted this below, but basically, they should have enabled add a friend a full fledge chat(and OF COURSE, a muting option).

But they should also add a BIG WARNING IN RED LETTERS that says "NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE ONLINE, NINTENDO STAFF WILL NEVER EVER ASK FOR YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SO DON'T GIVE IT TO ANYONE".

And there you go, Nintendo could have done that. Oh well, lets just say "SSB4"(if it comes out), better have chat and add a friend thing.

At least they're "catching on" with Animal Crossing which actually has full fledge chatting and voice chat now.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman

I entered a taunt party and they all jumped me :laugh: I won the matches though then they left :)
As much as I think you're lying about everyone leaving when you beat them, I just remember some taunt parties where taunters left because they kept losing. I'm usually a pacifist just doing random stuff and only fighting if some guy really wants to fight me.

That being said, I'm kinda confused at why people would get angry enough to try to kick people off. And I'm curious to the same degree as the person above, how do you even know they get disconnected too? Is there proof of this?
Someone needs to test that out. I've always wondered the same thing.
One guy said you get replaced by a CPU.
I find it funny that all the taunt spammers say that they usually kick the non taunt spammers' *****, while all the non taunt spammers say they kick the taunt spammers' *****. Somebody must be lying
I'm usually on the taunt spammer side and remember winning most of the time (I think the other two players lose to good players sometimes). I've fought some pretty good people who didn't want to taunt spam, but I'd rather fight them 1 on 1. It's fun teaming up on noobs though.
There are taunt spammers who aren't very good at fighting so I guess that people who don't want to taunt usually end up in rooms with those kind of people. No offense, but I wonder I some people taunt spam just cause they suck at fighting (though usually all the good players I find on Wi-Fi taunt spam).

Wall of text. D:

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Fixed it for you.
Oh thank you, I forgot I fought Will Smith's moher on brawl that day.

For the topic, only purpose I go into a basic brawl is to mess around. Or once in a while, seek out nublet's. When I make a taunt party I either taunt next to them many times, (Or around) Press up down up down lots, or run back in forth in circles so much that the characters leave gust everywhere.

AAP

Smash Journeyman

I'm not 100 % sure they get disconnected, but i have seen situations where someone gets gimp killed , or has a few stupid SD's, then right when they're about to die again it disconnects. I've seen this multiple times and it would only make sense that the game would attempt to keep communicating with all players in the match and if it was unable to do so with one player a disconnect would be likely.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
Your player is replaced by a CPU when you exit a match normally (via pause, power button, etc). Otherwise, if your connection is being unresponsive for some time, the game will wait a certain threshold for that connection to become active again and continue as normal. If that threshold is exceeded, the match cannot continue and a disconnection message is sent out to the participants.

You're not replaced by a cpu when your connection is being too unresponsive, because all it would take is to download something, causing the wifi match to be sluggish. It's sluggish because it has to wait for it's turn to send/receive data in conjunction to what you're downloading. Therefore there's a small window where one player's connection is considered "unresponsive" but brawl will continue as normal (simply putting the participants' match on hold while it waits for the slow player's connection) resulting in severe lag.

I've only had a few instances where the match freezes for some time (waiting for the unresponsive connection) , but is able to continue again (rising the question: did someone just plan a disconnection and was the game able to recover from it?) However, because the players are all present in the next match, this rather suggests there was a hickup in the connection somewhere that was recoverable. Otherwise, I've -never- seen the game replace someone with a CPU after the long "freeze" in a match (instead, it would just disconnect everyone)

Besides, the examples others have listed aren't hard to put into perspective either: The chances of a match disconnecting by itself right when certain situations arise (ex: the instant someone taunts, or dies, or the instant the clock reaches 0 seconds, etc.) is quite unlikely, which suggests that the disconnection was planned.

Consequently, if disconnections can be "planned" by others you brawl against, then one is capable of planning for the same outcome as well.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Your player is replaced by a CPU when you exit a match normally (via pause, power button, etc). Otherwise, if your connection is being unresponsive for some time, the game will wait a certain threshold for that connection to become active again and continue as normal. If that threshold is exceeded, the match cannot continue and a disconnection message is sent out to the participants.

You're not replaced by a cpu when your connection is being too unresponsive, because all it would take is to download something, causing the wifi match to be sluggish. It's sluggish because it has to wait for it's turn to send/receive data in conjunction to what you're downloading. Therefore there's a small window where one player's connection is considered "unresponsive" but brawl will continue as normal (simply putting the participants' match on hold while it waits for the slow player's connection) resulting in severe lag.

I've only had a few instances where the match freezes for some time (waiting for the unresponsive connection) , but is able to continue again (rising the question: did someone just plan a disconnection and was the game able to recover from it?) However, because the players are all present in the next match, this rather suggests there was a hickup in the connection somewhere that was recoverable. Otherwise, I've -never- seen the game replace someone with a CPU after the long "freeze" in a match (instead, it would just disconnect everyone)

Besides, the examples others have listed aren't hard to put into perspective either: The chances of a match disconnecting by itself right when certain situations arise (ex: the instant someone taunts, or dies, or the instant the clock reaches 0 seconds, etc.) is quite unlikely, which suggests that the disconnection was planned.

Consequently, if disconnections can be "planned" by others you brawl against, then one is capable of planning for the same outcome as well.
Didn't you say you disconnect to separate the other taunters earlier?
Either way, I never even knew that.

Star-Fox09

Smash Rookie
In the mood for a battle
competitive players only.
If you wanna win you require

knowledge of the game and distance away from me.

pm if you wanna vs. me.

if you win i'll give some control tricks out to you.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Eight times out of ten, yes. Depends how lazy I'm feeling.
But didn't you just say that disconnecting will just turn you into a CPU? Unless you can do something to your router to disconnect everyone.

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
when you leave in the middle of a game, you get turned into a cpu?
I kinda doubt that since everytime I start kicking too much *** it suddenly quits even though there wasnt any lag

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
As much as I think you're lying about everyone leaving when you beat them, I just remember some taunt parties where taunters left because they kept losing.
lol why would i lie about such a thing? :) Everyone didn't leave at once, but i kept winning so they slowly dropped out.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Woa , apparently it replaces you with a computer. which is a weird way to do things. Well back to the drawing board i guess. Crashing taunt parties is still good fun tho.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
Eight times of ten I'll cut my router (which then proceeds to cut everyone). The other two times I'll simply immediately leave the match (consequently creating a CPU replacement, who then attacks the taunters which prompts the whole "yeah and then he tried to crash our taunt party and we totally killed him and then he left, aahaha!" response from taunters. Oh, to be simple minded.)

I kinda doubt that since everytime I start kicking too much *** it suddenly quits even though there wasnt any lag
...It suddenly quits cause someone forced a disconnection. Obviously they won't be turned into a CPU in that case.. -.-
If the match instantly gives you the disconnection message without the ten or so second freeze prior to the message, then typically this is the result of the match being desynchronized.

Besides, it's easy to spot when someone turns into a CPU because their shield turns gray (in Basic Brawl anyway). I don't know the exact level the CPU player is set to, but it's low enough so it spend most of it's time walking and jumping around right beside you, rarely attacking. Sure enough, on the match's completion, it shows that this player was indeed a CPU (as they're no longer in the room).

It's not really a weird way of doing things. Someone posted a link to the Dojo explaining the concept behind this (the Dojo is misleading though. It states "If you get cut off...." which is wrong. If you get cut off, so does everyone else!)

eebanee

Smash Rookie
Oh yes, I only recently started playing smash online but the taunting parties are my favorite part of the game.

If anyone wants to add me as friend to taunt like buffoons feel free XD

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Eight times of ten I'll cut my router (which then proceeds to cut everyone).

(the Dojo is misleading though. It states "If you get cut off...." which is wrong. If you get cut off, so does everyone else!)
How do you know they get cut off? We can't see things from their perspective...

it seems like you just want to convince yourself that you ruined their fun ;)

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
Taunting parties suck, they are way too common now. Seems like half the time I play it's a taunt party. Yeah, I know, the online sucks. But stop ruining it for yourselves by taking all the fun out of what's left. Can't we just play with what we've got?

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Taunting parties suck, they are way too common now. Seems like half the time I play it's a taunt party. Yeah, I know, the online sucks. But stop ruining it for yourselves by taking all the fun out of what's left. Can't we just play with what we've got?
Seconded.. I found it quite funny at the beginning, but now it gets on my nerves.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
But without taunt parties, its just lagful wifi.

YOUR TOO SLOW YOUR TOO SLOW FIGHT ME FIGHT ME

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I wish half the groups I found were taunt parties. ALL I ever are noobs. They don't even know how to recover! :mad:

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
Lagful wifi is better than no wifi. At least with lagful wifi you can sort of fight. Go have an all-pokemon battle. It's more fun that sitting around all day and taunting. You can find better things to do.

List of things that are better to do with your time than sit around and taunt all day with anonymous strangers:
Play 1-player mode by yourself.
Play multiplayer vs. some CPUs
Call some friends and have them come over and play real brawl.
Use the Faux Finder and play someone from smashboards.
Complete a challenge.
Mess around with My Music.
Create the ultimate stage.
Try to break some of your stadium records.
Look on youtube for some awesome stadium records and try to do what they did.
PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME
GO SEE A MOVIE
CHECK YOUR E-MAIL
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
GET A LIFE

Man I hate taunt parties.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't understand what these kids find so funny about taunt parties. You're just sitting there tapping the d-pad and running around like an idiot.

i mean i'll goof around in vs anyone, sure, but just a taunt party is lame. like I'll pick CF and spam knee and Falcon Punch or something like that though...

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
One time I was playing and got a bunch of noobs and tried to win the whole fight using nothing but the C-stick and Control Stick and controlling both of them by holding them between my thumb and index fingers (instead of pressing on them with my thumbs). It was a lot more fun than just taunting all day. The lag just made it more intense.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Have any of you guys stayed in taunt parties for a while and noticed anything different after some time. Some taunters make friends with others, and some start to hate each other for some reason. I've seen taunt parties crash from the inside out because two people got mad and started fighting. Then everyone else starts fighting. This happens in 90% of taunt parties.
The funny thing is that sometimes I start fights. Thee was this one Ness who was boring me so I picked Marth and...well you guys should know. :evil: And I start snapping necks if people start bothering me.

Top Bottom