• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It reminds me of Seth Killian's bleeding weird selection standards, like calling someone "too punchy".
Oh man, I remember that too. I think he said that to specifically explain why Ghost Rider and Iron Fist weren't in the game (and also a couple other characters I don't remember). It was bizarre, but looking back, it was probably just a weird way of saying "we couldn't come up with a good moveset for the character"... of course, then Ghost Rider and Iron Fist got added into UMVC3, so it ended up not mattering in the long run for those two.

Yes and no. Not visibly that demanded, but at least one person on the planet had to have supported her on the Smash 4 ballot.
That one person you're talking about was probably me. My vote on the Smash 4 Ballot was for Morrigan, specifically because I was really getting into the Darkstalkers series at the time, and my line of thought was "If I vote for Morrigan, she might get into Smash, which might lead to Darkstalkers becoming more popular, which in turn could mean Capcom finally making another Darkstalkers game!"... that obviously never happened.

To be honest, I think Morrigan is more likely than people give her credit for, just based on one thing: Capcom might not make Darkstalkers games anymore, but they love putting Darkstalkers characters into crossovers like Marvel vs. Capcom and Project X Zone.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Here's how I would do a reveal at TGAs:

Geoff appears on the big screen and says "One year ago in this very room we announced the first DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Unfortunately, the fifth fighter is not ready yet, so we are unable to show him here today." Suddenly the screen goes black and a giant "objection!" appears, with Geoff now on the witness stand. The camera pans over to Phoenix and he says "Sorry, Geoff. I just got here.", while holding the back of his head. Then Geoff hands Phoenix the invitation. There are two invites, and Phoenix hands one to Edgeworth, who becomes an echo fighter.

This kind of subversion and sudden echo announcement would be wild for the Game Awards.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Geoff appears on the big screen and says "One year ago in this very room we announced the first DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Unfortunately, the fifth fighter is not ready yet, so we are unable to show him here today." Suddenly the screen goes black and a giant "objection!" appears, with Geoff now on the witness stand. The camera pans over to Phoenix and he says "Sorry, Geoff. I just got here.", while holding the back of his head. Then Geoff hands Phoenix the invitation. There are two invites, and Phoenix hands one to Edgeworth, who becomes an echo fighter.

This kind of subversion and sudden echo announcement would be wild for the Game Awards.
Could also be that we get the "last" trailer for the night, which Geoff clearly states, and then we hear the "Objection!".

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

To be honest, I'm torn on whether or not Fighter 5 (whether it's Phoenix Wright or someone else) will be revealed at the Game Awards, or if they'll instead be revealed the week before, around Ultimate's anniversary. Still, it's entirely possible Wright will be revealed at the Game Awards, and I have a somewhat similar idea of how that would happen...
Geoff Keighley will announce that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has been voted to win an award (whether it's Best Fighting Game or Game of the Year, either one works). Just like last year, the Game Awards then gets hijacked by Joker, who attempts to steal the award so it will go to Persona 5 instead. However, he gets stopped by an "Objection!" speech bubble, and is declared guilty of theft by a judge... cue Phoenix Wright revealed as Fighter 5.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
It literally feels like it is either Lloyd or Phoenix now.
If I wanted variety in the fighter pass. I wouldn't choose Lloyd. Because we already got 2 JRPG characters in the pass.
Either way. The miracle can still happen. The trial is not over yet.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

Sakurai said no Echoes for the fighter pass, but I do think we're getting a teaser for another Visual Novel character for FP2.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
If I wanted variety in the fighter pass. I wouldn't choose Lloyd. Because we already got 2 JRPG characters in the pass.
Yeah I don't think we're getting Lloyd specifically cause of that reason. We need more variety in this pass.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I think its not about variety but more about the reaction of the fanbase, adding another "anime swordsman" would make a lot of people angry.
Nintendo and Sakurai are well aware of that, whether they care or not its something we can't say for certain.
In any case, I'd totally love to see Lloyd getting in (or any Tales rep for that matter), although a Mii costume works for me as well.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
While what's been going around is good for Phoenix chances, I don't think that means he's a lock for fighter 5, or Capcom in general (much as I'd like it).
I don't think variety in what genres are represented is something Sakurai or Nintendo cares about all that much, that said, I do think a Tales rep isn't as likely as a lot seem to be thinking nowadays. Its legacy and popularity isn't anywhere near as close to that of FF or DQ, and while the same could be said about SMT, I feel that franchise is generally more cherished (besides P5 being pretty hot talk during 2016-2017). Add to that the fact that Tales of games are rarely related with each other and that Lloyd hasn't really mattered since the generally eh received 2008 Symphonia sequel, and I think while he's possible due to his game being the most beloved in the west, I wouldn't consider him a lock or hero from speculation, at all.
IMO, if we get another Namco rep, I'd say Tekken or Souls are likelier overall as they have more global appeal than Tales (which I always hear it's huge in Japan yet each release rounds around...300-500k ish copies there, I don't think that's that big in the grand scope of things, especially with actual juggernauts of the genre like Pokemon, FF or DQ selling easily twice than that) and generally having a much bigger splash in the industry.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think it'll be someone esoteric. That's pretty much the only given in just about every single release pattern's last character.

:ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultbayonetta::ultpiranha:
It's kind of a revisionist story to call Bayo an esoteric character. People were very excited for her. Sure, they will always be people dissatisfied because she was the last character and that is inevitable to happen, but overall she had a support thread here with many pages, and the reaction from fans was positive (Getting on to her being broken and killing the competitive scene is a whole different story). It was :ultcorrin: who got all the hate on that final direct, comparable to what :ultrob: got in the Brawl era.
If Phoenix was the last character, the reaction would pretty much be the same as Bayo I think. Someone known among gamers and the speculation scene, but not really expected.

I don't think variety in what genres are represented is something Sakurai or Nintendo cares about all that much, that said, I do think a Tales rep isn't as likely as a lot seem to be thinking nowadays. Its legacy and popularity isn't anywhere near as close to that of FF or DQ, and while the same could be said about SMT, I feel that franchise is generally more cherished (besides P5 being pretty hot talk during 2016-2017). Add to that the fact that Tales of games are rarely related with each other and that Lloyd hasn't really mattered since the generally eh received 2008 Symphonia sequel, and I think while he's possible due to his game being the most beloved in the west, I wouldn't consider him a lock or hero from speculation, at all.
IMO, if we get another Namco rep, I'd say Tekken or Souls are likelier overall as they have more global appeal than Tales (which I always hear it's huge in Japan yet each release rounds around...300-500k ish copies there, I don't think that's that big in the grand scope of things, especially with actual juggernauts of the genre like Pokemon, FF or DQ selling easily twice than that) and generally having a much bigger splash in the industry.
There have been times when Sakurai chose a completely different character (:ultrobin:), because the expected one was too similar to other characters already in the game (:ultchrom:), of course, it's just speculation. If there is a chosen Tales of character, it could also be Yuri or Velvet. Lloyd is getting all the atention because Symphonia is highly regarded among the Nintendo fans (And the Mii costume of course), I like to think of Lloyd as Terra, and Yuri as the :ultcloud: of the franchise.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice

I don't know if this means much or not, but this is definitely something to consider for Phoenix Wrights fans(myself included).

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
A French journalist saying he's next?
I haven't heard of anything like that, anyone got more info?
I don't buy it, not gonna get my hopes up for no reason

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well there's also the Terry presentation leak I've been clinging to... I don't want to get my hopes up too hard but maybe this is it...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
A French journalist saying he's next?
I haven't heard of anything like that, anyone got more info?
I don't buy it, not gonna get my hopes up for no reason
It is an alleged leaked DM between the journalist and someone from the source gaming discord. The journalist does exist and he has close contacts with Kojima (which is unrelated but figured I'd mention it anyway)

We see the messages written in French. As a native speaker I understood the gist of it, but it's easy to fake these kinds of photos.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I really want to believe it, but there has been too much misinfo being spread lately. Seems like Nintendo is really spreading as many names as possible.

We’ll wait and see what Sabi or Vergeben says.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

I really really want to believe...but I'll still hype responsably. Honestly i would be more inclined to believe this is Lloyd didn't seem so obvious as the final character.

Let's hope for the best. I don't trust Fatman but from what he says here atleast it doesn't sound like Dante is totally inevitable

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Oh god please no. Everytime a character is getting mentioned now then a leaker has to come out and kill him.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

I really really want to believe...but I'll still hype responsably. Honestly i would be more inclined to believe this is Lloyd didn't seem so obvious as the final character.

Let's hope for the best. I don't trust Fatman but from what he says here atlest it doesn't sound like Dante is totally inevitable
Vergeben and Sabi have not backed Lloyd yet, or any big insider, for that matter. All he really has going for him is circumstantial evidence that might not even mean anything.

Plus, I already explained this in the Geno thread, but he would go against what Reggie said about Sakurai wanting the characters to be unique in this pass.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, so this should get us to being noticeable enough that Vergeben or Sabi feel the need to chime in. Sights are on Phoenix. We could be getting an answer within the next couple of days...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ahbwell I enjoyed him being in some spotlight for a while at least.

We still do not know if the DM is genuine or not. Even then, why would he hear that? I know he is a top French gaming journalist but still...

It is suspicious.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I hate this. Not the fact that Phoenix Wright is the upcoming new "potential leaked star", no that's awesome.

What I hate is the height of anticipation we're at. We're at that point where just one phrase could send us spiraling down into oblivion. If the leak turns out to be fake, okay, but if it turns out Phoenix is downright out of the game, it's gonna hurt the absolute most.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well if its real and we do get nick ill be sure to make so deranged comment about climbing step ladders and cross examining parrots in my sheer hype

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
There have been times when Sakurai chose a completely different character (:ultrobin:), because the expected one was too similar to other characters already in the game (:ultchrom:), of course, it's just speculation. If there is a chosen Tales of character, it could also be Yuri or Velvet. Lloyd is getting all the atention because Symphonia is highly regarded among the Nintendo fans (And the Mii costume of course), I like to think of Lloyd as Terra, and Yuri as the :ultcloud: of the franchise.
I honestly don't expect Lloyd to play similar to anyone thanks to the dual swords thingy, I'd say Lloyd still feels the likeliest out of the bunch given Symphonias ties with the GC and the game being generally the best received entry in the west (I have no idea how it fares with the JP crowd but I imagine it's still well liked). I could see Yuri somewhat competing under that theoretic slot for a Tales character given his popularity, but after that interview where Sakurai talked about Lloyds mii costume, I'd say that gives him an edge over it overall. Still, I stand that while I don't find the idea of a Tales rep impossible (or even unlikely), I don't think he's the lock so many people are clamoring he is suddenly due to all the disconfirmations.
I got nothing on these journalists messages, I'll need more to be convinced.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Even if the guy isn't a reliable source, I can't think of why would he brought up Phoneix out of nowhere, the character is not well known, like he doesn't gain anything by saying he's in.
Its just the blue guy from Ace Attorney, its no big deal, the mainstream audience doesn't care about him.
Still, I never believed on that "leak" in the first place, so im all good.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Even if the guy isn't a reliable source, I can't think of why would he brought up Phoneix out of nowhere, the character is not well known, like he doesn't gain anything by saying he's in.
Its just the blue guy from Ace Attorney, its no big deal, the mainstream audience doesn't care about him.
Still, I never believed on that "leak" in the first place, so im all good.
One good thing, is if the Nintendo Ninjas come after him, we know it's true. His "it's nothing" comment might be a big thing to lawyers.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
One good thing, is if the Nintendo Ninjas come after him, we know it's true. His "it's nothing" comment might be a big thing to lawyers.
good thing he knows of an ace attorney to defend him should the worst happen

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I want to say I've been lurking through this thread but I am pro Phoenix Wright.

Ace Attorney is a good series that deserves a lot of love if DMC and RE won't make it in a playable format into Smash and IMO, Wright is one of the three possible Visual Novel reps I think have a remote chance(The other two being Monokuma and Saber) and Visual Novels need some representation in Smash.

So I am pro Phoenix Wright here.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Honeslty, I don't think a baseless claim like that would even bother Nintendo Ninjas, like at all, they didn't even care about the Ken picture last year.
If anything, they know taking action is basically confirming anything they're trying to hide.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I don't know if this means much or not, but this is definitely something to consider for Phoenix Wrights fans(myself included).
Welp, we might get our answer here sooner than later

Top Bottom