• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
B-but guys! Phoenix Wright is not TGA material by any means! Its too niche, no way in hell its gonna happen!!!

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
B-but guys! Phoenix Wright is not TGA material by any means! Its too niche, no way in hell its gonna happen!!!
There has been some buzz from unreliable sources(Fatman mostly) that a direct might be coming soon, so if that happens Phoenix could be shown there. Personally I always thought that we would find something out in an early January direct

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There's a lot to unpack today.

Does not mean Capcom is FP5, and even if they are they still have characters like Amaterasu to consider, but this is all sudden and bizarre.
I still think Monster Hunter is off the table due to base roster content, and Morrigan's design is too much on the nose...

But Resident Evil's spirit event comes at a very bad time for it. They announced more DLC already yet it's getting spirits now. That's most likely a fatal blow for the series as DLC altogether.

Dante will be the leader after FP5, but still.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I know it's sarcasm. But everyone that is invested in the world of videogames knows who Phoenix Wright is or at least knows him for all the internet Objection!! references.
He was probably more known than Joker at the time of his reveal 1 year ago (And maybe still is).

That Resident Evil event still stings a little.
It probably means there are no intentions of adding a RE character now... but Capcom has so many IPs... Sakurai loves to troll us. I'm already sensing that the Game Awards reveal could be Viewtiful Joe...

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
There has been some buzz from unreliable sources(Fatman mostly) that a direct might be coming soon, so if that happens Phoenix could be shown there. Personally I always thought that we would find something out in an early January direct
When did he say that?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Dante's been grating on my nerves as of recent so imma throw some more support at lawyer boy here.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Does anyone else here remember Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Specifically the vanilla version? I remember following the character reveal hype train for that game back in, and there was chunk of fans who were clamoring for Phoenix Wright to be in the game. They eventually got their wish when Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was released (and funnily enough like Smash, it was revealed ahead of time through a website leak).

The recent announcement of Resident Evil being a Spirit Board event and resulting in Phoenix Wright's chances growing a bit, as well as all this excitement coming from it... it really brings me back to the days of 2010 and 2011, when Phoenix Wright being in a fighting game was still a very debatable topic. I'm starting to get really excited again, like I did back then think when thinking of how Phoenix Wright would work in a Marvel vs. Capcom game.

Here's to hoping lightning can strike twice.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Probably not the right thing to focus on when Nick is looking better than ever, but should the worst happen, I'm glad there's a chance AA could get a small spirit board? I'd just love AA representation in general.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey guys. Besides all the Resident Evil thing, I'm currently playing Justice for All. I'm in the last case and I just remember that somewhere I read that the game has different endings. I don't know if that's true. If it is I would like to know if it depends in a single choice that the game gives you in some moment or it depends in a series of choices and responses that I have to nail.
Maybe I'm worrying too much about I but when I play games with different endings usually I can't help it. I just finished
the first? trial with Andrews

Thank you in advance!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hey guys. Besides all the Resident Evil thing, I'm currently playing Justice for All. I'm in the last case and I just remember that somewhere I read that the game has different endings. I don't know if that's true. If it is I would like to know if it depends in a single choice that the game gives you in some moment or it depends in a series of choices and responses that I have to nail.
Maybe I'm worrying too much about I but when I play games with different endings usually I can't help it. I just finished

Thank you in advance!
I think you just need to fail the trial on its final day? I don't think the series had any other case like that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Thank you in advance!
There's a bad end that happens if you fail at crucial part near the end of the case. You... Might wanna get it on purpose. It's legendary.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Thank you in advance!
It's not a SINGLE choice, but there will be a point near the end of the trial where you are given the chance to show one piece of evidence to one witness.

If you make a wrong choice for either opportunity (wrong evidence and/or wrong witness), you get the bad ending.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
The worst part of these "decofirmations" is that I can't control my hype.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The worst part of these "decofirmations" is that I can't control my hype.
Honestly, the only scenario where I see Phoenix doesn't make it in is if we don't get a Capcom rep at all in the DLC lineup. I believe we are getting a Capcom rep at some point and it will be Phoenix Wright.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Just like in his cases, when things seemed bleakest for our boy in blue, he rises from the ashes with a grand turnabout, and stays in the speculation scene anyway, stronger than ever.

An Archie

Smash Cadet
How strong is the supposed "deconfirm" on Dante? I haven't really heard it being discussed elsewhere

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
How strong is the supposed "deconfirm" on Dante? I haven't really heard it being discussed elsewhere
The very person who leaked him turned tail and said "Never mind he's not FP5" a few hours later.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would say it isn't a hard deconfirmed as developers can lie if they're under a NDA. Grant Kirihope the composer for the Banjo-Kazooie games lied to the fans on Twitter by saying that he wasn't contect by Microsoft or Rare to do any music for the Banjo-Kazooie brand as of recent and at the same time he was composing music for them in Smash and knew about them being in as early as February.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Took a stab at thinking up a fan moveset for Phoenix Wright in Smash, including music and spirits.
  • Animations and Alternate Colors
    • Up Taunt - Wright adjusts his tie and points, his finger sparkling.
    • Side Taunt - Maya appears and Wright hands her a piece of paper before she walks away.
    • Down Taunt - Wright abashedly scratches the back of his head while smiling.
    • Default Color - Blue suit, white shirt, red tie
    • Alternate Color 1 - Magenta suit, black shirt, white tie, and grey hair (Miles Edgeworth)
    • Alternate Color 2 - Black suit, white shirt, blue tie, and brown hair (Mia Fey)
    • Alternate Color 3 - Purple suit, light-purple shirt, yellow tie, and black hair (Maya Fey)
    • Alternate Color 4 - Green suit, tan shirt, red tie, and black hair (Detective Gumshoe)
    • Alternate Color 5 - Red suit, white shirt, light blue tie, and brown hair (Apollo Justice)
    • Alternate Color 6 - Yellow suit, white shirt, light blue tie, orange hair (Athena Cykes)
    • Alternate Color 7 - Red suit, black shirt, white tie, blonde hair (Sissel from Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective)
  • Normal Attacks
    • Neutral Jab Combo - Presents a piece of paper, then slaps it with the back of his hand.
    • Forward Tilt - A desk appears and Wright slams both hands on it.
    • Up Tilt - Slips on a banana, sending it flying upwards.
    • Down Tilt - Inspects the ground for evidence.
    • Forward Smash - Points his finger and shouts "Hold It!", summoning a speech bubble.
    • Up Smash - Maya appears and throws confetti upwards, startling Wright.
    • Down Smash - Sneezes.
    • Dash Attack - Trips and falls.
    • Aerial Neutral - Ruffles his hair in frustration.
    • Aerial Forward Tilt - Tosses a stack of papers forward.
    • Aerial Backward Tilt - Tosses a stack of papers backward.
    • Aerial Up Tilt - Takes out a stack of papers and slips, sending the papers upwards.
    • Aerial Down Tilt - Sneezes downwards.
    • Grab - Missile appears and attempts to bite the opponent's legs
    • Grab Attack - Missile bites the opponent repeatedly.
    • Forward Throw - Attempts to pull Missile away, sending the opponent flying forward.
    • Backward Throw - Attempts to pull Missile away, sending the opponent flying backward.
    • Up Throw - Attempts to pull Missile away, sending the opponent flying upward.
    • Down Throw - Pulls Missile away, but sneezes downward at the opponent.
  • Special Attacks
    • Neutral Special - Evidence: A chargeable move like Pac-Man's, Phoenix Wright begins pulling out pieces of evidence and putting them away, cycling through different evidence. Pressing the special button again will have Wright perform various actions...
      • Ball - Tosses the ball. Travels in a simple arc.
      • Parrot - Flies diagonally upwards, hitting opponents in its way.
      • Fishing Pole - Pulls in nearby opponents and items.
      • Knife - Tosses the knife. Travels the fastest in a straight forward line, but does weak damage.
      • Steel Samurai Statue - Tosses the statue, which turns into the Steel Samurai and slashes the opponent. Has the most range.
      • Magatama - Summons a spiritual aura around Wright, decreasing damage taken.
      • Coffe Cup - Tosses the cup. Any opponents it hits will be afflicted with the flower status.
      • Thinker Statue - Tosses the statue. Has the least amount of range, but deals the most damage and knockback.
    • Side Special - Maya?!: Maya appears and runs forward while windmilling her arms around, hitting any opponents in the way.
    • Up Special - "Step"-ladder: A stepladder appears and Wright climbs up it, jumping upwards from the top. If used on the ground, the ladder will temporarily stay and can be knocked around with attacks, damaging anyone it hits. If used in the air, the ladder itself will fall and can damage opponents.
    • Down Special - Objection!: Phoenix Wright takes out a notebook and scribbles on it. If the opponent attacks him during the animation, he retaliates with an "Objection!" speech bubble. The stronger the attack he's hit with, the bigger and more damaging the speech bubble will be.
    • Final Smash - Guilty Verdict: Wright points and shouts "Objection!" If he hits the opponent, they are then transported to a courtroom in the stand, where they are whipped by Franziska von Karma, hit by a cup of hot coffee thrown by Godot, and then crushed by the Judge with a giant gavel while being declared guilty.
  • Music
  • Spirits
    • Mia Faye
    • Maya Faye
    • Pearl Faye
    • Larry Butz
    • Winston Payne
    • Miles Edgeworth
    • Detective Gumshoe
    • Manfred von Karma
    • Franziska von Karma
    • Godot
    • Dahlia Hawthorne
    • Luke Atmey
    • Shelly de Killer
    • Gregory Edgeworth
    • Ema Skye
    • Apollo Justice
    • Athena Cykes
    • Trucy Wright
    • Ryūnosuke Naruhodō
    • Susato Mikotoba

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the support list, please. Phoenix Is one of my most wanted that still isn't in the game, i would over the moon of he's announced (maybe as F5P?)

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Sorry to all the RE fans, but whew, this narrows down Wright's competition by a LOT. He's now the most likely Capcom rep imo, by a long shot. Of course, Ace Attorney could also get a spirit pack out of nowhere that also soft-deconfirms Wright, so its best not to get too excited. But also... man. We could also just not get a Capcom DLC rep, as much as I don't like to think about that. TGA comes closer and closer by the day... wouldn't it be incredibly fitting for the start of the Fighter's Pass to have a character that works around the law to serve justice, and the end of the pass to have a character that's... you know, a lawyer? And both of them get announced at TGA to boot.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Funny how before yesterday's events, the 3 most likely Capcom candidates were RE rep, Dante and Phoenix, and now that 2 of them are pretty much deconfirmed, people are starting to bring up characters like MonHun, Ammy or Joe to fill up the void.
Honestly, I want Phoenix to be the 5th, so a different Capcom character can show up post-pass. (Best timeline!)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still don't see why the Monster Hunter is seen as likely when they already got Mii'ed. Having the Rathalos boss seems "good enough" for this time, it seems.

If it was a big deal made out of it like Rex, I could maybe see it, but as it stands, nah.

Does anyone else here remember Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Specifically the vanilla version? I remember following the character reveal hype train for that game back in, and there was chunk of fans who were clamoring for Phoenix Wright to be in the game. They eventually got their wish when Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was released (and funnily enough like Smash, it was revealed ahead of time through a website leak).

The recent announcement of Resident Evil being a Spirit Board event and resulting in Phoenix Wright's chances growing a bit, as well as all this excitement coming from it... it really brings me back to the days of 2010 and 2011, when Phoenix Wright being in a fighting game was still a very debatable topic. I'm starting to get really excited again, like I did back then think when thinking of how Phoenix Wright would work in a Marvel vs. Capcom game.

Here's to hoping lightning can strike twice.
It reminds me of Seth Killian's bleeding weird selection standards, like calling someone "too punchy".

I would say it isn't a hard deconfirmed as developers can lie if they're under a NDA. Grant Kirihope the composer for the Banjo-Kazooie games lied to the fans on Twitter by saying that he wasn't contect by Microsoft or Rare to do any music for the Banjo-Kazooie brand as of recent and at the same time he was composing music for them in Smash and knew about them being in as early as February.
Kamiya did do a character poll with Dante in it at some point during the Fighter Pass dev cycle, so it's likely that we wouldn't see him brought up openly like that unless he clearly wasn't in this pass and would have to be considered later next year or so.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As long as Phoenix gets in first, I say open the floodgates for all the reps Capcom can get. Personally I'd love Dante, Joe, and Ammy, and maybe even Chun-Li. Tron Bonne, too. I'd say a Resident Evil rep, but, uh, yikes.

People may complain but seriously, Capcom is one of those companies like Sega and Nintendo just swimming in iconic and awesome reps I'd love to see.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Funny how before yesterday's events, the 3 most likely Capcom candidates were RE rep, Dante and Phoenix, and now that 2 of them are pretty much deconfirmed, people are starting to bring up characters like MonHun, Ammy or Joe to fill up the void.
I can kinda understand why MH would be there as not everyone will agree they're disconfirmed, but I can't see anyway Ammy or Joe would get in before AA.
I'll be keeping my expectations in check as fighter #5 could still be someone out of the blue, some are saying we're likelier to get a Bamco character now that the 2 likeliest Capcom reps are a supposed no go, but eh, if Phoenix isn't TGA material, so is Lloyd or whoever else that's not Heihachi is being discussed from their end.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'm honestly happy that Phoenix became so much more likely as the next Capcom rep. I'm still sad for the RE fans, getting spirits like that after base game really seems like all hope as lost for them.

I don't care what anyone says, I want Phoenix to be FP5.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I sincerely doubt we're getting a Capcom character for FP5, and for post-fighter pass content I still think Dante's the likeliest shot. Also, Resident Evil is a great series and it would've been awesome to have seen Jill or Leon make it in, and it sucks it seems they're off the table for this game.

But, also...

oh my god one of the two main sources of competition for my #1 most wanted character since brawl is out of the running and i am JAZZED

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely doubt we're getting a Capcom character for FP5, and for post-fighter pass content I still think Dante's the likeliest shot. Also, Resident Evil is a great series and it would've been awesome to have seen Jill or Leon make it in, and it sucks it seems they're off the table for this game.

But, also...

oh my god one of the two main sources of competition for my #1 most wanted character since brawl is out of the running and i am JAZZED
It sucks because both Dante and Phoenix have amazing moveset potential with the court record and style switching/devil trigger respectively, but it really seems likely we’re only getting one. Times like this make me wish Dante was a Namco character or something.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I can see, Phoenix, Dante and Morrigan have the biggest shots (putting aside wardrobe concerns, which is way tamer than what Mai has). Ammy and Joe are on the "would be neat, but still have slim chances unless Nintendo pulls a Sakurai" side.

Though I will admit that the fake Arthur leak was pretty random.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As far as I can see, Phoenix, Dante and Morrigan have the biggest shots (putting aside wardrobe concerns, which is way tamer than what Mai has). Ammy and Joe are on the "would be neat, but still have slim chances unless Nintendo pulls a Sakurai" side.

Though I will admit that the fake Arthur leak was pretty random.
I'd say Ammy and Joe have way better chances than Morrigan, at least they're requested.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say Ammy and Joe have way better chances than Morrigan, at least they're requested.
Yes and no. Not visibly that demanded, but at least one person on the planet had to have supported her on the Smash 4 ballot.

Besides, hardcore people were convinced that :ult_terry: (let alone other SNK characters) didn't appear to have any support on fan-conducted polls, and he still got in.

Be open to any possibility, I say.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes and no. Not visibly that demanded, but at least one person on the planet had to have supported her on the Smash 4 ballot.

Besides, hardcore people were convinced that :ult_terry: (let alone other SNK characters) didn't appear to have any support on fan-conducted polls, and he still got in.

Well yeah, but Terry and Fatal Fury had other reasons that got them in despite the lack of demand. Darkstalkers sadly has nothing going for it.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

I'd say the difference is that Terry is the face of SNK besides being apparently really popular in SA (I can attest to most of the gamers I know here are familiar with KoF and SNK). As far as I know, Morrigan is not a mascot, the fact that Darkstalkers is not all that popular if what little sales figure from the 90s are anything to by (I don't even think the franchise figures in Capcom sales archive?), the franchise hardly has any Nintendo presence, is currently inactive or I think that influential to the fighter genre? Sure, if it was only one of these things going against her I could believe it as we have seen such problems broken before, but all of them at once? I don't really think she hits any particular spot to be considered remotely likely, Capcom has bigger franchises and far more beloved cult classics to consider her likelier than any of them. I'd even put Arthur above her in my totem poll of likeliness as at least G&G is remembered as a stupidly difficult game of the yesteryear and a NES classic.

Top Bottom