• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Reminds me of an old joke from the MVC3/UMVC3 speculation days, where someone said that Wright would just be a Ryu clone based entirely on his Japanese name being "Ryūichi Naruhodō". There was even a bad photoshop of Wright wearing Ryu's headband.

Another funny bit from that era: Godot being a playable character who could shoot eye lasers from his visor, Cyclops-style.
We should spread that around if Phoenix gets in. Because obviously, after Hat Ken should come Lawyer Ryu. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble picturing how they would put this in the screen and not have it look totally awkward, lol.

Imagine a No Contest screen with 8 Phoenixes.
It's not like they can't have two clapping animations for Phoenix, one for losing and one for no contest. My evidence for this would be Joker's final smash victory screen and the color changes done after a match on mementos.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Oh yeah definitely, to me it felt like a great way to end the trilogy.

If :ultwiifittrainer: can use hula hoops to recover, I'm sure phoenix can have something.
You are about to enter what's probably the most well regarded case of the entire series and the favorite of many people, and probably the reason many consider T&T the best game in the series (For me it's Investigations 2, but we all have opinions). I suggest you get out of any Ace Attorney related web. Because playing that case without spoilers is a magical experience.

Compared to the one I made 10 pages ago (I changed up the Down B):

Idle pose: Stands confidently. If you don't move then he starts to adjust his suit and Attorney badge or start his thinking pose.

Jab: Brings out paper and shakes it to prove a point.
F-Tilt: HOLD IT!! text bubble appears. It's a decent disjoint.
D-Tilt: Brings out a notepad to take notes.
U-Tilt: Phoenix has an idea and a lightbulb appears in his head that does damage.
Dash Attack: He's checking paper while he walks, ends with a final hit when he finishes.

N-Air: Shakes out his head and body.
F-Air: He holds a paper and tries to show it. Which does damage.
B-Air: He turns around and does an aerial HOLD IT!!
U-Air: He suffers a backpain that makes his hands and legs stretch out and do damage.
D-Air: Phoenix's face becomes terrified. A transparent Hammer barely bigger than him appears and swings through his body. Nothing happens to Phoenix though. The hitbox spikes.

F-Smash: OBJECTION!! The hitbox is huge. Comparable to Corrin's F-Smash. But very laggy.
U-Smash: Slams a desk. The desk slam's impact reaches even above him.
D-Smash: He trips and falls on his butt.

Grab: Maya grabs the opponent instead of Phoenix.
Pummel: Phoenix questions the opponent with papers.
F-Throw: Phoenix shouts a HOLD IT!! while Maya is grabbing the opponent.
B-Throw: Pearl appears and slides from the opposite side while Maya is grabbing the opponent. Both Phoenix and Maya look surprised.
D-Throw: Maya regrets treating the opponent like that and throws him downwards a bit too fast and not too gentile.
U-Throw: Phoenix gets an idea and a combo of paperwork and the lightbulb launches the opponent upwards.

Special Moves:

Neutral Special: Find Evidence. Similar to Pac-Man, Phoenix starts to look for evidence in the ground. The amount of time you let him do it determines the evidence he gets, but each tier needs some time. Which are (From maximum time to mininum time):
- Autopsy Report: He holds the report in his hand and releases a stronger and almost lagless OBJECTION!! that can even be used in the air.
- Coffee: You can throw it to an opponent. If it hits, it does high gradual damage.
- Thinker Statue: Phoenix throws it but it has very little range, yet it kills very early and spikes in the air (Do you know how it feels now? Villager?).
- Luminol: He blows it and makes a little zone that does gradual damage similar to Piranha Plant.
- Cellphone: Makes a one time sound shockwave. It kills at high percentage.
- Trophy: "It's useless". You can throw it like Simon's Axe. It doesn't have that big of a range tho.

Side Special: Finger of Justice. If you have an evidence. You can use it to release a Finger attack. A really really big shining light comes from his finger that does big damage. The evidence gets lost after using it once. If you have nothing. Then he just points and nothing comes out. That does no damage.

Down Special:
Magatama: He presents the Magatama, each character per stock has 3 psyche-locks asigned to them. If you hit them with this attack while you have an evidence, one their psyche-locks break, but it does little damage and knockback. The evidence dissapears if Phoenix hits the move. You can shield this attack, it does moderate shield damage.
When all the psyche-locks of one character break, they enter a shield-broken state. If they survive an attack after that, they regenerate 1 psyche-lock.
But if this attack touches the shield of a character with only one psyche-lock left, it breaks instantly.

Up Special:
Sneeze: He sneezes and that propels him upwards. It also has a hitbox that spikes. Yes, seriously.

Final Smash: Breakdown. A Giant Hammer appears and slams the ground. Opponents hit by the hammer enter a cutscene where they get breakdown'd by Phoenix after he proves they are guilty. It they have more than 100%, then they die instantly.

Taunts:
Up: Phoenix and Maya start to talk while a transparent Step ladder appears behind them.
Side: Phoenix smiles and points at the sky while Maya throws confetti.
Down: Phoenix starts to think and says iconic lines from the series at random, while Maya tries to start looking for evidence.

I like how we can all have different takes on Phoenix's Smash moveset. It shows how big of a potential he has when it comes to a fighting game transition. Yours is more about making a comeback, while mine is about his evidence management and using that to his favor to win.
However, your Phoenix is aggressive and actually punches and kicks opponents. I feel that Phoenix shouldn't directly hurt his opponents, because that's not him, I feel all his damaging moves should come from his courtroom actions, or silly animations that hurt accidentaly. I like the effect of the Magatama, I wonder if something like that can be pulled off in combat. It makes Snake's C4 look like a child play. Wright is the 300000 IQ player here.
Okay, I'm really frickin excited now! I've absolutely loved every last case, and the last trial of the first one was one of my favorite sections of any video game. If this next trial is supposed to be the best one then I'm in for quite a treat!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I like how we can all have different takes on Phoenix's Smash moveset. It shows how big of a potential he has when it comes to a fighting game transition. Yours is more about making a comeback, while mine is about his evidence management and using that to his favor to win.
However, your Phoenix is aggressive and actually punches and kicks opponents. I feel that Phoenix shouldn't directly hurt his opponents, because that's not him, I feel all his damaging moves should come from his courtroom actions, or silly animations that hurt accidentaly. I like the effect of the Magatama, I wonder if something like that can be pulled off in combat. It makes Snake's C4 look like a child play. Wright is the 300000 IQ player here.
I gotta say, I really like this concept the best. I'll be sad if the magatama isn't implemented somehow.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm really frickin excited now! I've absolutely loved every last case, and the last trial of the first one was one of my favorite sections of any video game. If this next trial is supposed to be the best one then I'm in for quite a treat!
I'm not sure if it will change your opinion on the best last case because many people have a different opinion about last cases. However to me it definitely felt like a trilogy ending. Without spoiling much, it has some great moments.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Question. Are you talking about Turnabout Goodbyes or Rise from the Ashes?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I gotta say, I really like this concept the best. I'll be sad if the magatama isn't implemented somehow.
I'd love it if they made the magatama a special move where it's relatively short range similar to Jigglypuff's rest, but if you hit with it you can start breaking psyche locks on everyone and launch them with massive damage.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I'd love it if they made the magatama a special move where it's relatively short range similar to Jigglypuff's rest, but if you hit with it you can start breaking psyche locks on everyone and launch them with massive damage.
I'd prefer not to have pixel-perfect attack like rest. Some leeway would be nice.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Phoenix being a Ryu clone seems like something taken straight out of the circus.
Rise from the ashes. I only played the trilogy on the 3DS, so it's the "last trial" for the first game to me.
to be fair, you'd have to play the OG GBA release to not have Rises from the Ashes as the final case (or I guess skipping the 100 wii points add on from the WiiWare release when it was still purchaseable).

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Rise from the ashes. I only played the trilogy on the 3DS, so it's the "last trial" for the first game to me.
I was wondering that. Because that case is an extra added to the DS port of the game after the whole trilogy got finished. Also is a little divisive for its high difficulty, long length, using 3D gimmicks for the first time, and the fact that is "filler" until the Post Trilogy games.
I'm glad that you loved it. Because many people I know dropped or skipped it.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Phoenix being a Ryu clone seems like something taken straight out of the circus.
Or out of a courtroom.

Nick is the best shotoclone and I will now defend him until the day I die. :4pacman:

That said, I do think it's weird we got nothing from Verge. Don't wanna get my hopes up, but I really think he would have disconfirmed Capcom by now considering he killed 4 or 5 companies in 2 days.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah it wouldn't be quite as short range as Rest, but something that's still difficult to hit.
Like Falcon Knee?
I was wondering that. Because that case is an extra added to the DS port of the game after the whole trilogy got finished. Also is a little divisive for its high difficulty, long length, using 3D gimmicks for the first time, and the fact that is "filler" until the Post Trilogy games.
I'm glad that you loved it. Because many people I know dropped or skipped it.
I found rise from the ashes to be fine, but I barely remember much of what happened in that case.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yeah, Wright playing anything like Ryu is obviously ridiculous. Still, the joke stemmed from the fact that, back then, absolutely no one knew for sure how Phoenix Wright would've played in a fighting game like Marvel vs. Capcom. Even after being revealed prematurely as one of the Ultimate additions through a website leak, we still had to wait a while for his actual reveal trailer.

I almost wonder how speculation on Phoenix Wright being in Smash would go if he wasn't in UMVC3.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do remember finding Rise from the Ashes almost unbearably long the first time, the pacing felt super slow compared to everything else the first game threw at you and, particularly, loathing the video evidence and trying to get the blue badger puzzle right. That said, the final moments are pretty good, and I do hold the overarching plot about it in high regard, it definitely makes revisit to it all the easier know how the whole things develops compared to the first run
I'll also say I feel it handles the whole "dark side of the law" thing a lot more cleverly than I feel DD did throghout the entire game, Gant is a great antagonist, while every culprit from DD is uh...yeah, not too good.
That said, I do think it's weird we got nothing from Verge. Don't wanna get my hopes up, but I really think he would have disconfirmed Capcom by now considering he killed 4 or 5 companies in 2 days.
It could easily be that he got no info on Capcom yet or he doesn't feel like sharing that detail for the time being, but it's at the very least unusual he wouldn't kill them at the same time he did Namco (given that it's not Capcom either, that is).

Last edited:

BFMS234

Smash Rookie
why couldn't they replace that with the respective Morgans to each Robin agggggh. Probably the biggest nitpick I'll whine about regarding Ultimate.
THIS. I’m glad I’m not the only person who’s extremely annoyed by that.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
How do you guys imagine Phoenix parameters would be? I can't imagine him being awfully fast either on the ground or air (confirmed low tier if so lol), and I imagine he'd have at least average weight
We better get a mod that replaces their character models with each other for maximum hilarity.
everytime I look at your current avatar I'm reminded of this
that's a cameo used well if I say so myself.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think Verg is wrong about Namco and Nightmare is FP5, with Phoenix almost certainly coming in the next wave. If it's not Nightmare though, then my money is on Phoenix for FP5.

On rise from the ashes, it was in big part the length and the difficulty that drew me in so much. It just felt likr a much grander scale than the other cases. I was disappointed there weren't more cases that long in the series.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How do you guys imagine Phoenix parameters would be? I can't imagine him being awfully fast either on the ground or air (confirmed low tier if so lol), and I imagine he'd have at least average weight

everytime I look at your current avatar I'm reminded of this
that's a cameo used well if I say so myself.
I'm ready to smash.
buff Pooh.png

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think Verg is wrong about Namco and Nightmare is FP5, with Phoenix almost certainly coming in the next wave. If it's not Nightmare though, then my money is on Phoenix for FP5.
I think we can trust Verge when he says it won't be Bandai Namco. But it is a good idea to keep our guard up in case Verge is wrong.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's not assume Verge has lied about anything. It's been simply a slow week for everyone involved, the only noteworthy thing to have happened so far is the RE3 leak.

People assumed he'd faceplant with Kencineroar, and look what happened.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

On rise from the ashes, it was in big part the length and the difficulty that drew me in so much. It just felt likr a much grander scale than the other cases. I was disappointed there weren't more cases that long in the series.
If Verg is wrong then I could easily see either a Tekken or a SC character, but assuming Lloyd is still off the table the curve ball pick would be Chosen Undead from Dark Souls. It's a huge western franchise at a huge western event.

I'm gonna give Verg the credibility nod though since he's more established than Fatman.

EDIT: I know that Dark Souls is made by a Japanese dev team, but it's immensely popular in the West.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I honestly don't get why we'd doubt verge being wrong on Namco but not anyone else. IMO, it's either all or nothing. I don't think Nightmare is a super unlikely pick when looking at Namcos repertoire, but when the main reasoning (to my understanding) seems to be the Geno board and not at least a supposed leaker talking about it, I've a hard time giving it even the slightest of credibility.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I would imagine him being very average in terms of parameters and probably would have the ability to crawl. He could probably have a strong moveset to make up for it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Remember guys. When we want Vergeben to be wrong. He will always be right.
And when we want him to be right... he's usually right too... but I'm cursed so it'll probably end up badly for me.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Who knows but if we get a Namco rep I seriously doubt is Nightmare. I'm talking about DLC in general, not only FP5.
I mean, I honestly think KOS-MOS is more likely than him. Same for a Dark Souls rep.

If Sakurai wants a fighting character from Namco it will be Heihachi. Besides him you have Tales, which rep would probably be Lloyd. And while Dark Souls is a dark horse pick, I don't think Nightmare would be choosed before Dark Souls.

Nothing against him. In fact, I like Nightmare and I think he's very cool. If Tekken wasn't a Namco property I would see things different for a Soul Calibur rep, but that's not the case.
It's not the same at all, but to put it in some way getting a SC character before a Tekken one is like Darkstalkers getting in Smash before Street Fighter.

Krankees

Smash Ace
If Phoenix does get in, all I want to hear is 4 words.
PHOENIX WRIGHT IS BROKEN.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
And when we want him to be right... he's usually right too... but I'm cursed so it'll probably end up badly for me.
I think it's going to suck the most if he and Sabi are totally right about what companies aren't going to be FP5... but it's still not Phoenix. Because this many contenders being allegedly out of the running is the closest we've ever been to Phoenix.

P.S. The Prince of All Cosmos is obviously the best Namco pick, fight me everyone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I did want him to be wrong about MC content and it seems at least that paid off :drifloon:
Who knows but if we get a Namco rep I seriously doubt is Nightmare. I'm talking about DLC in general, not only FP5.
I mean, I honestly think KOS-MOS is more likely than him. Same for a Dark Souls rep.

If Sakurai wants a fighting character from Namco it will be Heihachi. Besides him you have Tales, which rep would probably be Lloyd. And while Dark Souls is a dark horse pick, I don't think Nightmare would be choosed before Dark Souls.

Nothing against him. In fact, I like Nightmare and I think he's very cool. If Tekken wasn't a Namco property I would see things different for a Soul Calibur rep, but that's not the case.
It's not the same at all, but to put it in some way getting a SC character before a Tekken one is like Darkstalkers getting in Smash before Street Fighter.
I agree that it'd be pretty bizarre to see a SC rep before we get someone from Tekken, but I wouldn't count SC being unlikelier than a Tales rep, maybe a Soul rep either but I feel that has the benefit of being one of the most recognizable new IPs from the last decade.
To me, Kos-Mos always felt like this fan meme pic with no real substance as to why she'd be likelier over anyone else, moreso after they had to skip a XC2 rep due to time constraints.
Well, if it counts, something else weird came up.

Someone posted supposed fake screenshots of a most oddly-specific character choice: Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers.

https://smashboards.com/threads/mar...t-dont-quite-believe-it.494702/#post-23701411

I haven't the slightest clue why a modder would pick her of all people and not someone more talked about, but it happened, I guess.
now that's a dark horse pick if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman

Someone posted supposed fake screenshots of a most oddly-specific character choice: Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers.

https://smashboards.com/threads/mar...t-dont-quite-believe-it.494702/#post-23701411

I haven't the slightest clue why a modder would pick her of all people and not someone more talked about, but it happened, I guess.
It doesn't even seem like they were trying to make this look like a leak, considering the obviously modded Toon Link alt color.

(Also, that's a kind-of-bad render of an already pretty badly-designed - in my opinion - character).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, the Switch Online service is adding a few new games, including Star Fox 2! :drflip: Also, Breath of Fire II, after we had talked about that series' Ryu.

Incidentally, they will drop on the 12th, the day the VGAs air...

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I think it's going to suck the most if he and Sabi are totally right about what companies aren't going to be FP5... but it's still not Phoenix. Because this many contenders being allegedly out of the running is the closest we've ever been to Phoenix.
Plus it's going to be a uphill battle post-pass with Dante entering the mix.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It's definitely a mod, and personally I can't wait to see it in motion. She's my truest most pipe dream of the pipe dreams and I love seeing that people are finally talking about her. :)

Top Bottom