• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know "Pursuit- Cornered" is probably the most famous of the Ace Attorney songs, but I'm actually hoping that they use the "Objection!" theme from trials and tribulations that was remixed also used as Phoenix's theme in both Dual Destines and Spirit of Justice.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I know "Pursuit- Cornered" is probably the most famous of the Ace Attorney songs, but I'm actually hoping that they use the "Objection!" theme from trials and tribulations that was remixed also used as Phoenix's theme in both Dual Destines and Spirit of Justice.
It's probably gonna be either that, the Pursuit theme from Trials and Tribulations, or the Objection or Pursuit themes from the first game.

Also, if Apollo Justice comes with Phoenix as an Echo Fighter, I fully expect some sort of remix of the Pursuit theme from his own game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Clearly the solution to this is to actually do a fully focused Capcom vs Capcom game and avoid any and all future licensing problems!
Already tried it with Capcom Fighting Evolution. Of course, Japanese game developer logic being what it is, they chose never to try something like it again once it bombed and doubled down on the tried and true, instead of figuring out what the problem was.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I haven't played anything past investigations 2 yet, but I do like listening to the 3ds music like Athena's theme.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
By that do you mean you haven't played DD, cause that theme gets even more godlike after that.
I haven't played DD or SOJ and I really want to. I'm trying to get opinions on it but the phone version is good right?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I haven't played DD or SOJ and I really want to. I'm trying to get opinions on it but the phone version is good right?
The mobile ports are surprisingly well-made, yes.

I think they're even more high-quality in terms of graphics than the 3DS versions at times.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

I think they're even more high-quality in terms of graphics than the 3DS versions at times.
Well...most phones have x1000 the processing power compared to the 3DS. So thats pretty expected. :v

Krankees

Smash Ace
Guys I cracked the code, jokEr, hEro, banjo & kazooiE, tErry, phoEnix wright.
Confirmed.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Also, without giving anything away, the mobile version of DD changed a detail at the beginning of the game's 3rd case that addressed a plot hole in the original 3DS version.

If you're okay with playing the games on your phone, the mobile versions of DD and SoJ are absolutely fine, and like Hinata said surpass the 3DS version in terms of graphical quality as well. I also played the phone version of Dai Gyakuten Saiban when the fan translation of that game finally finished earlier this year and it ran fine.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also, without giving anything away, the mobile version of DD changed a detail at the beginning of the game's 3rd case that addressed a plot hole in the original 3DS version.

If you're okay with playing the games on your phone, the mobile versions of DD and SoJ are absolutely fine, and like Hinata said surpass the 3DS version in terms of graphical quality as well. I also played the phone version of Dai Gyakuten Saiban when the fan translation of that game finally finished earlier this year and it ran fine.
Now I'm wondering what that plot hole might be.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Now I'm wondering what that plot hole might be.
When Professor Means first meets Athena and friends, he's holding his globe / spear thingy. He's not supposed to be--at the time, it's supposed to be stuck in Professor Courte's body. The phone version adjusts this initial meeting so he's not holding anything.

Krankees

Smash Ace
My biggest hope for Phoenix's music is that he gets the Mega Man treatment. He got a lot of new remixes and they were a treat.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
My biggest hope for Phoenix's music is that he gets the Mega Man treatment. He got a lot of new remixes and they were a treat.
I keep wondering why there are so few new Street Fighter remixes - and SF remixes in general - considering the treatment Mega Man got. Maybe the Smash music team just isn't super into Street Fighter music?

Krankees

Smash Ace
I keep wondering why there are so few new Street Fighter remixes - and SF remixes in general - considering the treatment Mega Man got. Maybe the Smash music team just isn't super into Street Fighter music?
That is strange considering they're from the same company. I know SF2 is iconic but why music from only that game?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's a shame that we don't even have any music from Street Fighter III, Jazzy '99 NYC is a banger.

At least Juri is a spirit, for non Street Fighter 1 / 2 SF content.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I hope we get a remix of this in smash if Phoenix gets in

It's been almost a year since Ultimate came out and this still annoys me.

No Sakura theme? Or Dudley? Or even Rashid?
It feels like street fighter was an afterthought only put in because everyone is here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Team Leakers and Team Anti-Leakers are starting to form
Not again...:drsad:

This tribalism is never going to end, is it?

It's been almost a year since Ultimate came out and this still annoys me.

No Sakura theme? Or Dudley? Or even Rashid?
It feels like street fighter was an afterthought only put in because everyone is here.

I guess there are traditionalist fans that really just prefer Street Fighter II. It still beats FF7 still somehow having no more than two songs, I really wonder what the holdup is there, surely they can at least try to reach out to Uematsu. Although one can call it a relief for Mega Man fans, seeing the overall treatment Mega Man had for a year or two before getting into Smash 4.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I hope so too, one thing is for sure tho, if Nick gets in, Noriyuki Iwadare will give us at least one new arrangement.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
>Team Leakers and Team Anti-Leakers are starting to form
Not again...:drsad:

This tribalism is never going to end, is it?
Hoo boy, it's the Grinch Leak debate all over again. This is gonna be fun.

I guess there are traditionalist fans that really just prefer Street Fighter II. It still beats FF7 still somehow having no more than two songs, I really wonder what the holdup is there. Although one can call it a relief for Mega Man fans, seeing the overall treatment Mega Man had for a year or two before getting into Smash 4.
I'm happy that we got the great and memorable remixes of Guile and Vega. Those are some of my favorites. I always prefer quality over quantity, Mega Man and Castlevania got almost all the remixes for this game. But many of them get overshadowed and forgotten by the more stellar remixes. I don't oppose to a series with great music getting remixes. But I feel they went TOO overboard with the quantity, some of them feel really unnecessary like Ice Man, Crash Man, Top Man, Gravity Man, Lament of Innocence or Iron Blue Intention (The original LoI and Portrait of Ruin's version are much better IMO).

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
the Iron Blue Intention remix is great. Honestly, the 3rd party that got the worst musical treatment after the Square guys is Sonic, imagine your only arrangement not even being composed for Smash. There's other musical nitpicks I'd make (like how Fates, for all the problems it has, had a great soundtrack, and it only has Lost in Thoughts All Alone like 3 times, the Tellius games featuring no remixes whatsoever, Life Will Change somehow not being in Mementos), but I'd still consider Ultimate take on music to be an overall improvement over Sm4sh, where I can't say anything really stood out when I heard it, not as good as Brawl however.
I do hope that if Nick gets in, he comes with a little more music compared to :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:, that comment from Sakurai that they where hoping to get somewhere between 10-20 tracks for Terry makes me hopeful at the very least (well, besides how Terry got treated in general in the end).

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If Phoenix and Maya make it in I'll probably cry. If they work as a tandem like in UMvC3 and they give us a pallet swap for Edgeworth/Kay, Apollo/Trucy, and Athena/Blackquill you can expect a new great lake to form in the midwest with all the happy crying I'd do.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hoo boy, it's the Grinch Leak debate all over again. This is gonna be fun.

I'm happy that we got the great and memorable remixes of Guile and Vega. Those are some of my favorites. I always prefer quality over quantity, Mega Man and Castlevania got almost all the remixes for this game. But many of them get overshadowed and forgotten by the more stellar remixes. I don't oppose to a series with great music getting remixes. But I feel they went TOO overboard with the quantity, some of them feel really unnecessary like Ice Man, Crash Man, Top Man, Gravity Man, Lament of Innocence or Iron Blue Intention (The original LoI and Portrait of Ruin's version are much better IMO).
I feel like they should have removed 3 of the classic series remixes and dumped these 3
songs in the game instead

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
If Ace Attorney gets remixes. I need an ACE remix of Ace Attorney in my life. That's too perfect to not happen. Even more perfection if they remix Godot - Fragance of Dark Coffee.
Also Yoko Shimomura's style is perfect for the Ace Attorney Investigation's themes.
I don't know if Grant Kirkhope will keep working for the game. If he does, I would like to hear his take in the series. That would be very refreshing.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I often forget the OG Tatsunoko vs Capcom had character themes given how that was localized, not that I mind the change as I much prefer the more intense instrumental themes over the lyrical stuff from JP (I still wonder how that games roster ended up with no Phoenix or Ammy but I think the former was at least planned at some point and couldn't be balanced properly).

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I often forget the OG Tatsunoko vs Capcom had character themes given how that was localized, not that I mind the change as I much prefer the more intense instrumental themes over the lyrical stuff from JP (I still wonder how that games roster ended up with no Phoenix or Ammy but I think the former was at least planned at some point and couldn't be balanced properly).
Yeah, Phoenix Wright was supposed to be in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but he ended up being cut due to an issue with his "OBJECTION!" speech bubble. Specifically, it would've been rendered in Japanese kanji in the Japanese release of the game, but then would have to be changed to a bigger "OBJECTION!" speech bubble in the U.S. release, which would've made the attack bigger and caused balance issues.

Franziska von Karma was also planned, and she would've been much easier to include due to her use of a whip, but since Phoenix Wright was gonna be cut, she was cut along with him.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, Phoenix Wright was supposed to be in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but he ended up being cut due to an issue with his "OBJECTION!" speech bubble. Specifically, it would've been rendered in Japanese kanji in the Japanese release of the game, but then would have to be changed to a bigger "OBJECTION!" speech bubble in the U.S. release, which would've made the attack bigger and caused balance issues.

Franziska von Karma was also planned, and she would've been much easier to include due to her use of a whip, but since Phoenix Wright was gonna be cut, she was cut along with him.
you'd think they'd just keep it in japanese given they didn't give any characters dubs (outside of Frank Westwhich was as All Stars exclusive iirc and that came out in the west first anyhow).
I can't say seeing Franziska Phoenixless would have made me all that happy, but she's also one of my least favorite leads of the series so bias speaking.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Worth noting that over 15 years ago Capcom sold the Street Fighter IP to Capcom USA (which is why the latter is independently credited in Smash's copyright notices). I don't think anyone knows why this actually happened -- especially when the games continue to be developed in Japan -- but it's led to some huge communication issues ever since.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
When Professor Means first meets Athena and friends, he's holding his globe / spear thingy. He's not supposed to be--at the time, it's supposed to be stuck in Professor Courte's body. The phone version adjusts this initial meeting so he's not holding anything.
Oh yeah I remember that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally, I love the Gravity Man remix. It's nice for Mega Man entries other than MM2 to get the lion's share of attention for a change.

Worth noting that over 15 years ago Capcom sold the Street Fighter IP to Capcom USA (which is why the latter is independently credited in Smash's copyright notices). I don't think anyone knows why this actually happened -- especially when the games continue to be developed in Japan -- but it's led to some huge communication issues ever since.
That might explain why the SF Anniversary Collection is exclusively in English even in Japan...

Sometimes I get sad about who couldn't make it into the game, like the Gatchamans' nemesis Berg Katse, and Speedy Cerviche from the Samurai Pizza Cats (it's baffling how that one got passed over simply because Tatsunoko weren't aware how beloved SPC was in the West).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I love ace attorney, but I was always against Phoenix in smash because I hate movesets that just add random martial arts to characters that don't have them or have the character whacking people with references to their game. But what the hell. This is Sakurai, the man who made the dog from duck hunt an interesting moveset. I bet he'd do the same for Phoenix. Sign me up as a supporter!

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I love ace attorney, but J was always against Phoenix in smash because J hate movesets that just add random martial arts to characters that don't have them or have the character whacking people with references to their game. But what the hell. This is Sakurai, the man who made the dog from duck hunt an interesting moveset. I bet he'd do the same for Phoenix. Sign me ul as a supporter!
I'm not familiar with who J is.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I was typing on a phone that is supposed to use a stylus with my fingers. I meant to say I. Fixed now.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Phoenix wouldn't need martial arts added to his kit. Just use the sprite poses for aerials and you got that covered. Smash attacks could use items he used in the games, and tilts don't matter as nearly everyone has made-up ones anyway.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Btw, I'm currently right at the end of case 4 of Trials and Tribulations. I've got the next game all ready to go once I finish this one.

Top Bottom