• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I get the gist for Phoenix and Sora, but what's the logic behind the rest?
Is Sakura just because there's a new SW game?
Reimu because of that music leak from a while ago?
Sol because...I guess the new GG?
And Nintendo I imagine mostly because people are feeling we're outta 3rd parties at this point, but I don't buy it myself.
Sakura has a new game coming out the night of the Game Awards and apparently still has something going for her. Also very popular in Japan.

Reimu is still considered to be in the running because the music stuff still hasn't been deconfirmed yet but we don't know if it'll actually happen.

As for Sol Badguy... not entirely sure, but he and Arc System Works haven't been deconfirmed yet.

As for Nintendo, it's mainly due to people guessing that we could get a Three Houses rep or the Astral Chain protagonist next.

Krankees

Smash Ace
In general, there hasn't been a consensus on who's next besides on who we know isn't going to be next. We are guessing the next fighter could be either Phoenix Wright, Sora, Sol Badguy, Sakura Shinguji (from Sakura Wars), Reimu, a Nintendo character, or even someone else.
Sol would be cool but we just got Terry and it doesn't seem likely that we'll get another fighting game character for this pass.
That Sakura Wars thing might just be a coincidence.
While Reimu would be cool pick, she's seem more less likely than Phoenix to be announced at TGA.
Not sure how likely a Nintendo rep is when we're going with expanding the world of smash for this pass.
There has been some speculation that Kratos might be the 5th, but in my opinion I think they would put Crask before Kratos.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Sol would be cool but we just got Terry and it doesn't seem likely that we'll get another fighting game character for this pass.
That Sakura Wars thing might just be a coincidence.
While Reimu would be cool pick, she's seem more less likely than Phoenix to be announced at TGA.
Not sure how likely a Nintendo rep is when we're going with expanding the world of smash for this pass.
There has been some speculation that Kratos might be the 5th, but in my opinion I think they would put Crask before Kratos.
I'm not sure if we'll get a Sony rep tbh, considering that they are known to be stingy, but we'll see.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Sakura has a new game coming out the night of the Game Awards and apparently still has something going for her. Also very popular in Japan.

Reimu is still considered to be in the running because the music stuff still hasn't been deconfirmed yet but we don't know if it'll actually happen.

As for Sol Badguy... not entirely sure, but he and Arc System Works haven't been deconfirmed yet.

As for Nintendo, it's mainly due to people guessing that we could get a Three Houses rep or the Astral Chain protagonist next.
Eh, I don't feel any of the reasonings are super strong, I still believe if we were to get a FE rep they'd have been announced around E3 or something to have a close release date to that of the new game, and the lack of spirit events isn't that strange when they have a whole FE centered mobile game to add all these fan favorites in some collectable form. Astral Chain I feel is a more interesting case, but at the least I don't expect them for F5.
I find people believing we could be getting a Sony character to be looking too deeply into that Santa Monica tweet or that one JP tourney event with all sorts of different brands participating, with how uncooperative Sony was over allowing crossplay at the time, I find it hard to believe they'd lend one of their properties to their main competitors just like that. I know we just got Banjo, but well...there was a lot more things going on to believe MS could lend them, it wasn't as simple as Banjos old ties to Nintendo.
Because I'm not really collaborating much to Phoenix discussion with these messages, I do wonder if the courtoom would have any sort of hazards? Like the objection shouts from the defense/prosecution having high launch power or something. I'd find it neat if they at least had cut-ins to stuff like the judges gabel, the lawyers slamming their desk, if there's any defendants/culprits seeing how they react or break down, etc.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Plus, Corrin's reception last time has me convinced we probably won't get a promo character.
Honestly, a first party would be:
A. Bandana Dee
B. Elma
C. Waluigi
that's it, honestly.
You know, I honestly wouldn't take leaker silence to mean that X third-party is in. We had fans assume Isaac, Shadow and Skull Kid's ATs not being shown off early meant they got playable, yet that wasn't the case.

Yeah, but everything was made out of sprites in that game. RE Zombies aren't exactly Redead.

We simply just have to know what those supposed "political reasons" are, it doesn't sound like Jill's outfits or the zombies are the--

Wait! Is the STARS seal the reason?
OBJECTION! Marvel vs. Capcom 3 had multiple Resident Evil characters, and was not sprite based! Infinite also had Chris Redfield, and also wasn't sprite based!
sorry, i had to.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the end of the day, I simply choose to expect the next character to be one who the majority won't expect. That's the only winning move.

we'll probably never know, as unlike that one time Sakurai mentioned Heihachi, I doubt he'll mention Jill not making it in for whatever these political issues were if this info turns out to be real.
Yeah, it's rare at that he mentions any reasons why a character's been left out, listing all of them would take forever. This does lead to the unfortunate tendency of fans to assume what his reasons are.

Plus, Corrin's reception last time has me convinced we probably won't get a promo character.
A. Bandana Dee
B. Elma
C. Waluigi
that's it, honestly.

OBJECTION! Marvel vs. Capcom 3 had multiple Resident Evil characters, and was not sprite based! Infinite also had Chris Redfield, and also wasn't sprite based!
sorry, i had to.
Okay, but MvC's explicitly meant to be a T-rated franchise. Smash hasn't been T since Brawl.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
True.
I just needed to point that out, because you said that MvC was sprite based when the recent games aren't (for better or worse)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Didn't Jill drop the zombie attack for MvsC3 anyhow? You could put that as a bigger issue for Frank West (I want to say that series is generally goofier than RE, but apparently the actual stories from it can be pretty serious).

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
She did, because she was based on her RE5 version...
But Nemesis was playable in that game. As was Wesker (although i dunno about him having zombie attacks, i didn't play him in MvC3, i played Zero, Phoenix Wright, and Dante)

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Man the tone here is way different then the Geno thread haha

I don't really trust verge my self. And I doubt fighter 5 is Nightmare. And I don't think it's Sora since we already got a SE rep. It really doesn't leave us with a lot besides Wright and an unknown out of left field pick.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Didn't Jill drop the zombie attack for MvsC3 anyhow? You could put that as a bigger issue for Frank West (I want to say that series is generally goofier than RE, but apparently the actual stories from it can be pretty serious).
She did, because she was based on her RE5 version...
But Nemesis was playable in that game. As was Wesker (although i dunno about him having zombie attacks, i didn't play him in MvC3, i played Zero, Phoenix Wright, and Dante)
None of the Resident Evil characters in MVC3 and UMVC3 had attacks where they summon zombies. Only Frank West from Dead Rising had that kind of attack.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's important to remember that Sora is a Disney rep. Nothing is really standing in his way and he was one of the most popular characters in the ballot era. It's just our own perceptions of Disney that is making him seem less likely. It could also be someone like Travis Touchdown or another "deconfirmed" character from before the wave of Verge/Sabi deconfirmations. There's also nothing saying that Nintendo didn't double dip for Master Chief, 2B, or Arle Nadja/Kazuma Kiryu/Sakura Shinguji, or even have one of their own characters like Akira Howard in the pipeline.

It's important that we're cautious, but I can't lie, it's sounding like whoever it is fighter 5 is going to be super interesting for one reason or another. Let's just hope it's our boy in blue!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE grilling vergeben and even I think he's being dismissed too early. It reeks of bias in order to assert that FP5 HAS to be Namco, and it's giving them tunnel vision. Nobody currently seems able to dispute his claim, and I feel like the times where people are expecting him to take a big L are the times when he ends up pulling through. At the very least, I know he wouldn't double down if he wasn't convinced his claims are true himself.

I don't really think it's Wright either unfortunately, but I have my doubts about Nightmare. The whole situation's been screaming "TRAVIS" to me and I can't get him off my mind. Not just because I like him (a lot), either.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
At the end of the day, everyone draws their own conclusions on whose likely or not based on different factors, like patterns, comments on industry people, supposed rumors, etc. The only foolproof sources are Nintendo/Sakurai themselves, just about everyone else does leave room for doubt.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
A. Bandana Dee
B. Elma
C. Waluigi
that's it, honestly.
OBJECTION!! I present DKC2, DKC3, Tropical Freeze and multiple spin-offs as evidence that you have a glaring omission there. Dixie Kong!!

About the leakers, we like them or not. Vergeben has a 99.9999% accurate record about leaking Smash Bros. He practically dunked the community during the Grinch leak days. That's why I decided to trust him and his claim that Namco and multiple other companies are out. And his current omission of mentioning Capcom is what leads me to believe the character is from there.
About Sabi. He/she may not be a staple yet. But Sabi got the E3 predicted like an exact future sight. I took Sabi with a grain of salt when the decomfirms of individual characters were out. If Sabi gets a mistake, and a character he/she mentioned gets announced.. his/her leaker reputation is over.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Question about verge for those who followed their Smash leaks, where their only mistakes Minecraft content and a Square rep being announced during last years TGA?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Question about verge for those who followed their Smash leaks, where their only mistakes Minecraft content and a Square rep being announced during last years TGA?
Yes. He even called the Square rep originally being planned for base game but pushed to DLC.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Gotcha, I do think their claim of Minecraft being leakbait being a little too convenient for their own good, but while the TGA claim was a mistake, they where hellbent on Erdrick/Luminary being part of the DLC for a while, and while Hero ended up being a little more than that, I do think they've at least proven to have some degree of reliable info on the matter. I won't count Banjo or Terry to their favour, but he did technically jump on those before their announcement, for whatever that's worth. I don't think at the very least considering their claims likely is wrong, at least I'd take their word more seriously than the countless other leaks that've come and gone throughout this entire period since Ultimates announcement.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The Square rep is not actually a mistake. Hero's data was added to the game before Joker. The popular theory is that they went with the Phantom Thief first because NoA thought Dragon Quest wasn't popular enough to show it at the VGA. Which explains the rushed trailer and long wait to his release.

Minecraft is still the only mistake. Technically if Minecraft gets a spirit event. That would make it true. But at this point it's clear that it was his only mistake.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The Square rep is not actually a mistake. Hero's data was added to the game before Joker. The popular theory is that they went with the Phantom Thief first because NoA thought Dragon Quest wasn't popular enough to show it at the VGA. Which explains the rushed trailer and long wait to his release.

Minecraft is still the only mistake. Technically if Minecraft gets a spirit event. That would make it true. But at this point it's clear that it was his only mistake.
I wouldn’t call that trailer rushed by any means, they still had to get all the voice actors in studio for it and also have it animated.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
OBJECTION!! I present DKC2, DKC3, Tropical Freeze and multiple spin-offs as evidence that you have a glaring omission there. Dixie Kong!!

About the leakers, we like them or not. Vergeben has a 99.9999% accurate record about leaking Smash Bros. He practically dunked the community during the Grinch leak days. That's why I decided to trust him and his claim that Namco and multiple other companies are out. And his current omission of mentioning Capcom is what leads me to believe the character is from there.
About Sabi. He/she may not be a staple yet. But Sabi got the E3 predicted like an exact future sight. I took Sabi with a grain of salt when the decomfirms of individual characters were out. If Sabi gets a mistake, and a character he/she mentioned gets announced.. his/her leaker reputation is over.
HOLD IT! I present King K. Rool as evidence that we already got a Donkey Kong rep.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I wouldn’t call that trailer rushed by any means, they still had to get all the voice actors in studio for it and also have it animated.
But there is no gameplay. Sakurai mentioned in the interview post Joker that he got that animated trailer made pretty quickly.
It wasn't a last minute decision tho.
Who knows when he was told to show Joker. Maybe he had a month to prepare it.

HOLD IT! I present King K. Rool as evidence that we already got a Donkey Kong rep.
OBJECTION!! We can get multiple new reps from the same series in one game *Presents Pokémon in Brawl and Fire Emblem in Smash 4*

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't get how this is a problem, Castlevania got 2 characters in Ultimate, as did Metroid, Kirby got 2 brand new characters in Brawl, FE debuted with 2 of them in Melee (in fact Mario and Zelda got like 3 characters added in that game, debatably 4 in Zeldas case). I don't think DKC is quite as big as it was in the 90s, but if there's a 1st party with playable characters already in the game that I feel could do with at least one more rep, it's them.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I don't get how this is a problem, Castlevania got 2 characters in Ultimate, as did Metroid, Kirby got 2 brand new characters in Brawl, FE debuted with 2 of them in Melee (in fact Mario and Zelda got like 3 characters added in that game, debatably 4 in Zeldas case). I don't think DKC is quite as big as it was in the 90s, but if there's a 1st party with playable characters already in the game that I feel could do with at least one more rep, it's them.
Unfortunately we'd then have to discuss about whether spirits deconfirm or not because Dixie is a spirit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The thing that is actually a concern is whether third party series with more than one character will eventually get more uniques, and not just echoes. Otherwise, it might pose a problem for fans who want favorites from those series.

Gotcha, I do think their claim of Minecraft being leakbait being a little too convenient for their own good, but while the TGA claim was a mistake, they where hellbent on Erdrick/Luminary being part of the DLC for a while, and while Hero ended up being a little more than that, I do think they've at least proven to have some degree of reliable info on the matter. I won't count Banjo or Terry to their favour, but he did technically jump on those before their announcement, for whatever that's worth. I don't think at the very least considering their claims likely is wrong, at least I'd take their word more seriously than the countless other leaks that've come and gone throughout this entire period since Ultimates announcement.
Tansut was the only leaker who was on nearly 100% on the mark in regards to Hero, given how he leaked Cloud last time as his only other previous action. The only thing he got wrong was never getting a reply from his contact in regards to asking if Erdrick was in, because Erdrick wasn't actually the base character, Luminary was. Everyone else was pretty much either sourcing him or doing an educated guess (or, more absurdly, taking Shinya Kumazaki's DQ collection on Instagram as a hint that Hero was confirmed).

At any rate, Verge's track record is 50/50 at best. Sometimes their sources are good, other times their sources miss crucial details (like Isabelle not really being an echo), and yet other times the sources are flat-out wrong (DBFZ in general, K. Rool, Cubivore pig being confused for Minecraft content).

Verge really did mess up in regards to assuming the Ender Dragon would be a DLC boss on day one though, that one's entirely on them.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The thing that is actually a concern is whether third party series with more than one character will eventually get more uniques, and not just echoes. Otherwise, it might pose a problem for fans who want favorites from those series.
This I agree with, I have a hard time believing we'd get anymore reps for a 3rd party franchise that features a playable character already in Smash outside of echoes, and with their current absence through DLC, it's hard to tell whether that'll even happen at any point (and it's why I don't believe Phoenix would come with Apollo, Edgeworth or whoever else as an echo).
At any rate, Verge's track record is 50/50 at best. Sometimes their sources are good, other times their sources miss crucial details (like Isabelle not really being an echo), and yet other times the sources are flat-out wrong (DBFZ in general, K. Rool, Cubivore pig being confused for Minecraft content).

Verge really did mess up in regards to assuming the Ender Dragon would be a DLC boss on day one though, that one's entirely on them.
Fair enough, I actually forgot about the ender dragon part when MC was nowhere to be seen in the base game. Not that I took them as a irrefutable source, but their posts are definitely worth considering during moments like these.
Unfortunately we'd then have to discuss about whether spirits deconfirm or not because Dixie is a spirit.
wasn't really the main argument presented against Dixie, but as someone that does believe spirits disconfirm, it's not a good look on her for sure.
I imagine this is a no, but I do wonder if Phoenix could feature a Sissel alt like in UMvsC3 (and with a Chibiterasu pattern as a cameo if Missile was somehow involved in his moveset, which I find incredibly unlikely).

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That's really low-balling it. And I'm pretty sure that Vergeben never claimed that Isabelle would be an echo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Until proof of the contrary, I'll just assume that base game spirits don't affect anything, since the series that have those aren't made a big fuss over by the folks at Nintendo, in contrast to DLC spirit events boldly showing off specific spirits and practically advertising them with neon signs. Clearer intent for the latter.

That's really low-balling it. And I'm pretty sure that Vergeben never claimed that Isabelle would be an echo.
I'm saying that their source has apparently told them she was an echo. Or at least some fans had said that claim, so otherwise those fans may simply have pulled that info right out of their bums. There really needs to be a stickied thread that compiles everything that Verge has said...

By the way, is the a-word still censored? I'm highly confused by this.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Has anyone seen the new leak about the Resident Evil 3 remake? Apparently some cover art for it was on PSN. I didn't look into it any further but that's what I've been seeing.

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I'm saying that their source has apparently told them she was an echo. Or at least some fans had said that claim, so otherwise those fans may simply have pulled that info right out of their bums. There really needs to be a stickied thread that compiles everything that Verge has said...

By the way, is the a-word still censored? I'm highly confused by this.
Iirc the quote was she looks like an echo, which tbf it was my first thought when I saw the trailer. I don't think he's right on a lot of things, like you said, but that's an easy mistake to make depending on what they saw.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Has anyone seen the new leak about the Resident Evil 3 remake? Apparently some cover art for it was on PSN. I didn't look into it any further but that's what I've been seeing.
Yeah, looks really cool. If we can get a 2020 release for that, wooo dolly will that be a good one.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I just thought something. What if we get Ghost Trick content too, alongside Phoenix? Like Music or Spirits (Very Ironic if you ask me...)
I would absolutely love that. At the very least, I was a Sissel outfit for Phoenix like in UMvC3

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yeah, the new Nemesis design looks gnarly... I like it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't know how likely a Ghost Trick reference would be but it would be a super nice surprise. Even just the Sissel alt would be great.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I just thought something. What if we get Ghost Trick content too, alongside Phoenix? Like Music or Spirits (Very Ironic if you ask me...)
I don't see us getting a lot if it were to happen, but it would still be nice just to see an alternate color that references Sissel, and maybe a music track or two.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I don't see us getting a lot if it were to happen, but it would still be nice just to see an alternate color that references Sissel, and maybe a music track or two.
PhoenixWright_6P_74142_640screen.jpg

Just give me this, and I'm content.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Someone in the YouTube comments section came up with the idea to have a textbox appear during the 3-2-1 countdown that displays the current real-time date as well as the current stage being played on in green text when Phoenix is used, and I’d love that.

Top Bottom