• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've gotten a lot of people into the series this past year. Must say the hardest part is not giving away things with your body language or words!
I've manage to deceive a bunch of people into believing Mia is a big part of the series and Edgeworth only for the first game.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I've manage to deceive a bunch of people into believing Mia is a big part of the series and Edgeworth only for the first game.
You monster...I did the same thing with Mia to one of my friends!
Friend "This game is awesome! Can't wait for the next case"
Me "Oh yeah, Mia gets the spotlight in that one. Won't spoil it though" I felt awful...but oh so good.

KillerCage

Smash Master
You can add me as a Phoenix Wright supporter. If we are going to get a Capcom character in the Fighters' Pass, I want the fighter be Nick.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You monster...I did the same thing with Mia to one of my friends!
Friend "This game is awesome! Can't wait for the next case"
Me "Oh yeah, Mia gets the spotlight in that one. Won't spoil it though" I felt awful...but oh so good.
i mean its technically true but that is nasty

It's ok, they spoiled me on a game. So it was far play, I assure you.
hmm id say no it isnt

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, assuming there won't be a DGS3, what the heck is Shu Takumi going to be doing at Capcom? He hasn't done anything of note since 2017.

Also, I just discovered that he had big involvement with Dino Crisis, that's pretty neat.

For the former part, it's technically true, in a sense.
Just not as a living character...:drsad:

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Are there anyone here who has played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective?
I have, it's Shu Takumi's best work. Incredibly fully realized and creative concept, cool gameplay, fun characters, good melodrama, and fantastic animation.

Edit: Wow, a lot of people here haven't played it, that's a shame. It's on smartphones and the iPad iirc and it's worth every penny.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
To be honest? I heard about it once, but then sorta forgot about it. Never watched or played it.

On a similar note, I could've sworn I remembered fighting a Ghost Trick spirit of the game's protagonist (name is eluding me) in WoL at some point, but I must've just imagined it, no such spirit exists according to the SmashWiki.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just finished Rise From the Ashes on Switch today and I loved it. It was a bit long, but the story hooked me the whole way through.
Really wish the real culprit wasn’t the culprit. I was really hoping for them to be a recurring character.

Also, I was under the impression that only the first game was made for GBA, then ported to DS with RFtA, then the sequels were made for DS, and that the touch gimmicks such as 3D evidence inspection and the forensic stuff would be mainstays for the rest of the trilogy.
I was a bit bummed when I found out that not only was the whole trilogy was originally GBA, but only the first game got a special DS case.

I really did like those gimmicks, especially the 3D evidence. I thought they allowed for much more elaborate and crazier twists, added a lot to the investigation gameplay, and was just a natural progression of the series.

EDIT: I found out that 3D evidence comes back in Apollo Justice, which is nice. No clue if it stays around for the 3DS games though. Here’s to hoping a AA 4-6 Collection will be announced soon.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I have! I remember Capcom streaming it or something, trying to promote it a bit and I got it along with a copy of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on the DS! I already watched and loved Ace Attorney, but that was my first copy that I played myself!

I feel real lucky to have gone through Ghost Trick on my own with no spoilers, I can never experience it like that again, they got me with lots of twists and by the end I didn't know what to do with myself, I just went and sat next to my parents and cried and they were confused cause, well, very sudden, but also it was a mix of emotions so it wasn't clear what I needed haha, I just wanted to be with family a bit I guess <3

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I just finished Rise From the Ashes on Switch today and I loved it. It was a bit long, but the story hooked me the whole way through.
Really wish the real culprit wasn’t the culprit. I was really hoping for them to be a recurring character.

Also, I was under the impression that only the first game was made for GBA, then ported to DS with RFtA, then the sequels were made for DS, and that the touch gimmicks such as 3D evidence inspection and the forensic stuff would be mainstays for the rest of the trilogy.
I was a bit bummed when I found out that not only was the whole trilogy was originally GBA, but only the first game got a special DS case.

I really did like those gimmicks, especially the 3D evidence. I thought they allowed for much more elaborate and crazier twists, added a lot to the investigation gameplay, and was just a natural progression of the series.

EDIT: I found out that 3D evidence comes back in Apollo Justice, which is nice. No clue if it stays around for the 3DS games though. Here’s to hoping a AA 4-6 Collection will be announced soon.
It shows up when Ema appears. It's her merchanic, if you will.

She is not in Dual Destinies, but she is in Spirit of Justice and appears in the Edgeworth spin offs.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It shows up when Ema appears. It's her merchanic, if you will.

She is not in Dual Destinies, but she is in Spirit of Justice and appears in the Edgeworth spin offs.
I really hate her appearances in the Edgeworth spin offs. I get it, she's a fangirl for Edgeworth. But they put her in very random locations and she doesn't add anything to the plot.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
claps furiously in a last ditch effort to crash the game and escape justice
Looking back on it... yeah, it is a shame we didn't end up getting additional cases for the other two entries. More
Franziska, Godot, or possibly Past Mia if they wanted to delve into the past again
would've been fun to see, especially since these cases would've been written post-trilogy like Rise from the Ashes was.
Here’s to hoping a AA 4-6 Collection will be announced soon.
iirc, Apollo Justice has already been ported to 3DS, and I think Switch too? I might be misremembering that second part. But yeah, upscaling models, making backgrounds more higher definition, maybe redoing some animations (particularly in DD, some things look a little rough in that game compared to SoJ), and including the DLC cases along with the whole package? That'd be a dream come true. If we don't get a new AA announced this September, something like this would be much appreciated to fill the gap.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I have, it's Shu Takumi's best work.
Is it though?
I personally can't say anything on the matter since I haven't played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective nor DGS2.
But I've seen people praising DGS2 as Takumi's best work
Like this post on reddit I've saved in order to visit in around 3 years or when the fan translation is done. (SPOILERS).

iirc, Apollo Justice has already been ported to 3DS, and I think Switch too? I might be misremembering that second part. But yeah, upscaling models, making backgrounds more higher definition, maybe redoing some animations (particularly in DD, some things look a little rough in that game compared to SoJ), and including the DLC cases along with the whole package? That'd be a dream come true. If we don't get a new AA announced this September, something like this would be much appreciated to fill the gap.
Apollo Justice isn't on Switch yet, I think is highly possible we get AA4-6, probably until next year though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Apparently Apollo did get ported to 3DS with the improved graphics, but what’s more important is that all three are on IOS iOS, meaning they’re all already in HD and just have to be ported.

The console port of the trilogy was announced at last year’s Tokyo Game Show in September (or at least the Japanese release was, it wasn’t revealed to come to the west until February), so I could see the same happening this year. Capcom does like their collections to bring in new fans, before releasing a new game, as Mega Man has shown us.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Is it though?
I personally can't say anything on the matter since I haven't played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Well there you go!

I haven't heard of a single person who played Ghost Trick and didn't end up walking away from the game completely loving it, please check it out whenever you can.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I adore this game. One of the best written plots in gaming in my opinion. I agree that it's Takumi's best work and I'm looking forward to playing DGS2 if it comes anywhere close to it.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Ghost Trick was amazing and is one of my all-time favorite games ever. I'll pray to the ends of time to have Ghost Trick get it's own anime adaptation.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well she is still one of the most important characters, the only cases she's not in in the Trilogy are: 1-4, 1-5(if this counts), 2-1 and 2-3 so it's not really a deception.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just want to say that ending a match in MvC3 with Wright’s level 3 hyper combo is one of the most satisfactory moments I have with fighting games.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I just want to say that ending a match in MvC3 with Wright’s level 3 hyper combo is one of the most satisfactory moments I have with fighting games.
"If you've never made your opponent ragequit with your level 3, you have never really played Phoenix right."

Sorry, I know this was bad, please don't activate Turnabout Mode on me.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
"If you've never made your opponent ragequit with your level 3, you have never really played Phoenix right."

Sorry, I know this was bad, please don't activate Turnabout Mode on me.
I think I'm not gonna Take That! offer. I didn't find the pun particularly OBJECTION!able. 'Course, someone else might tell you to Hold It! and apologize for it some more. But if you're lucky, you'll just get Silence! for that.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Thoughts on the article on the front page about Capcom newcomers? Thought the segment on Ace Attorney was harsh..

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Thoughts on the article on the front page about Capcom newcomers? Thought the segment on Ace Attorney was harsh..
It was bull**** because Jones doesn't know what he's talking about and is going so hard on the RE train that he's manufacturing fandom wars where there are none.

No good ever comes from "my fandom is better than your fandom because relevance". But I think I made my position rather clear in the comments.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just read it. I... don't view it as too harsh, especially because I'm accustomed to seeing some really garbage reviews and analysis.

I do think the author was a bit misinformed (niche/weird pick is not necessarily the same as joke character, not to mention skipping over the Dante deconfirmation, as many people still seem to do), but not terribly biased or trying to incite fandom wars imo.

Again, relevance shoud never be the argument to end a discussion... but in some cases, I do think he has a point. And we need to remember that both AA and RE are very much alive and loved and remember that we are, as Flyboy said, Capcom fans before anything else. We're okay otherwise.

Not any better than the RTC thread. Besides, I've stopped paying attention to anything that assumes the FP is the end of DLC.
(Sigh)... I know I'm going to regret this, but... why do you feel so strongly about that? Like... we have no proof that there won't be more DLC, but also none stating that there will be.

We're in the dark, so it makes sense if people want to curb their expectations early. As long as everyone understands that everything on the topic is 90% opinion, I don't see how stating it is a problem.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
(Sigh)... I know I'm going to regret this, but... why do you feel so strongly about that? Like... we have no proof that there won't be more DLC, but also none stating that there will be.

We're in the dark, so it makes sense if people want to curb their expectations early. As long as everyone understands that everything on the topic is 90% opinion, I don't see how stating it is a problem.
The community is going to tear itself apart by the time character 5 gets here as long as they keep thinking inside the box, so it's weird to think that DLC would end this early when there's less reason to do it now besides resting. FP being all there is left is treated as an absolute by the majority except Sakurai, who didn't state it as so.

Also, it's getting to the point where freely expressing first parties you want is getting frowned down upon depending on the thread (even if you don't expect them as DLC or in the pass), since people fixate so much on Joker/Hero/BK supposedly meaning there's just third-parties coming. Meanwhile, ridiculous theories are treated as more legitimate. Companions, Rayman in ice, colors of the frigging rainbow...I just want clear concise answers this Winter, that's it.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The community is going to tear itself apart by the time character 5 gets here as long as they keep thinking inside the box, so it's weird to think that DLC would end this early when there's less reason to do it now besides resting. FP being all there is left is treated as an absolute by the majority except Sakurai, who didn't state it as so.

Also, it's getting to the point where freely expressing first parties you want is getting frowned down upon depending on the thread (even if you don't expect them as DLC or in the pass), since people fixate so much on Joker/Hero/BK supposedly meaning there's just third-parties coming. Meanwhile, ridiculous theories are treated as more legitimate. Companions, Rayman in ice, colors of the frigging rainbow...I just want clear concise answers this Winter, that's it.
Hot take: the community is going to tear itself apart anyway. As it always does. We're the Smash community, this characteristic of ours is pretty famous.

I think the people who believe too firmly that DLC ends with the FP will go at each other's throats for the last spot. Meanwhile, those that believe too firmly that DLC doesn't end with the FP could very well be setting themselves for disappointment. Another very common thing in the Smash community.

It's a lose-lose situation. Best thing we can do is not feel so strongly about these things and try to relax and enjoy what we have right now.

I think the reason people have closed themselves to first parties is because unless we have any confirmation about Spirits, the safer bet is to assume they deconfirm. This means the remaining 1st parties are... pretty much the dreaded "shill picks". Which would close the Pass on a pretty low note compared to the three characters we got. It's less about what people know and more about what people really don't want.

And about the absurd theories... again... it's the Smash community. Just ignore it and don't let it get to you. Focus on the few theories that actually have some merit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And about the absurd theories... again... it's the Smash community. Just ignore it and don't let it get to you. Focus on the few theories that actually have some merit.
As a wise man in fiction once said: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.". The datamine might be one of those, so I'm keeping it in mind.

In any case, there was a time when people thought there wouldn't be DLC for this game at all, so history could repeat itself. The only thing we have to go on from in regards to DLC pattern was last game, so I honestly wouldn't take it as a hard pattern, seeing as patterns rarely hold up for this series.

Besides, if Phoenix isn't in here and there's no other DLC as a safety net after this pass, you gotta mentally prepare yourselves for the possibility of getting nothing.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As a wise man in fiction once said: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.". The datamine might be one of those, so I'm keeping it in mind.
Wait, which one? If you're talking about the placeholder slots, that could mean something... or it could mean nothing. I even remember people saying that this favors characters with alts, but I'm not sure.

That said, leftover slots are a thing in fighting games, so... it all depends on whether Sakurai wants to keep this train going or not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That said, leftover slots are a thing in fighting games, so... it all depends on whether Sakurai wants to keep this train going or not.
Exactly. Winter is when it all boils down to determining the fate of this game.

That being said, one of the gorillion 4Chan posts has somehow managed to gain attention recently due to getting Hero's alts right...

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Exactly. Winter is when it all boils down to determining the fate of this game.

That being said, one of the gorillion text leaks on 4Chan has somehow managed to gain attention recently due to getting Hero's alts right...
Yeah, I saw it. Just waiting to see how other people will react.

I don't know much about DQ, but DQIV protag seems... oddly specific for a guess. The others are either really popular or very recent, so... guessing Solo seems odd to me. What's your input on this?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I saw it. Just waiting to see how other people will react.

I don't know much about DQ, but DQIV protag seems... oddly specific for a guess. The others are either really popular or very recent, so... guessing Solo seems odd to me. What's your input on this?
The poster probably got really lucky. We don't even know if they have a track record prior to this. Also, I kinda doubt MH Hunter would get in this time, but that's neither here nor there...

Top Bottom