• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Fun hypothetical time. We've talked music before but let's say each game in the series gets three songs added. Which songs would you pick? You don't have to include every game if you haven't played 'em all (haven't touched DGS yet, so...)

AA1
Pursuit ~ Cornered (duh)
Objection! 2001
Cross-Examination ~ Moderato/Allegro 2001
AA2
Pursuit ~ Questioned
Investigation Middle 2002
Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth
AA3
Pursuit ~ Caught
Trial 2004
Godot ~ The Fragrance of Dark-Colored CoffeeT
AA4
Pursuit ~ Overtaken
Apollo Justice ~ A New Trial is in Session!
Trial 2007
AAI
Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
Confrontation ~ Presto 2009
Detective Gumshoe ~ I Can Do it When it Counts, Pal!
AAI2
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
Logic Chess ~ Opening/Endgame
Confrontation ~ Moderato/Allegro 2011
AA5
Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On
Trial 2013
Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire 2013
AA6
Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2016
Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters 2016
Let me help a bit!
DGS / DGS2
Pursuit ~ Time for a Great Turnabout.
The Great Cross-Examination ~ Allegro.
Closing Argument.
Objection! (2015).
Great Pursuit ~ The Resolve Of Naruhodō Ryūnosuke. (This is the best Pursuit theme ever IMO).
PLvsPW
Pursuit ~ Casting Magic.
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2012.
Courtroom Magic.
Ending Theme.

That's all that comes to my mind right now.
Remember the pursuit theme of DGS2 is the best in the series, don't @ me.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Oh cool! .................................maybe when Godot said it, they meant to imply that Godot is Holmes descendant........ I don't really care either way, but I am laughing at the thought of me fighting for this and then we find out in DGS3 or whatever that Holmes gets with a lady that loves coffee and has these peculiar new-fangled bifocals pffft
As cool as that would be, I doubt they planned for Sherlock Holmes to exist in the Ace Attorney Universe when they wrote that dialogue.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Same. I wish he'd come back to the main series. The current writing team are imo stuck trying to one-up themselves with unnecessary gimmicks. 'How do we give Phoenix a challenge? Let's send him to this foreign country!' when honestly Phoenix is a doofus and they could have just had regular cases that stumped him - and the player - or just hand the reins to Apollo and Athena.
It sucks because AAI2 and DD were both awesome! And then they shuffled the writing team even more and tried way too hard with SOJ...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think the big difference and why I don't like the Yamazaki games is that his games go for more big and grandiose finale's, such as overthrowing a corrupt government or dealing with international incidents. Meanwhile Takumi's game revolve more around dealing with the characters personal demons and overcoming them.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
As cool as that would be, I doubt they planned for Sherlock Holmes to exist in the Ace Attorney Universe when they wrote that dialogue.
I know, I knowww, I'm just joking around haha, though if they wanted, they could lie and say they planned it since Phoenix makes a good point and thinks to himself (uhh paraphrasing but something like) "Ha, Sherlock Holmes II here, baby!" (at least in the English version) but yeah whatev!

As for this music stuff, this is always fun, I'll give it another go!
Ace Attorney
Objection 2001
Cornered 2001
Investigation ~ Core 2001
Justice For All
Turnabout Sisters 2002 (Any version is great, but this is my favorite!)
Confess the Truth 2002
Cornered 2002
Trials & Tribulations
Godot's Theme
Mask☆DeMasque's Theme
Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2004
Apollo Justice
Trucy's Theme
Cornered 2007
Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2007
Dual Destinies
Apollo's Theme (Again, any version's great, but this is my fav so far! Cause that guitar part~)
Mood Matrix ~ Running Wild
Phantom ~ Unknown
Spirit of Justice
Athena's Theme
Ema's Theme
A Cornered Heart
Ace Attorney Investigations
Cornered 2009
Calisto Yew's Theme
Ace Attorney Investigations 2
Objection 2011
Cornered 2011
The Man Who Masterminds the Game
Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney
Objection 2012
Cornered 2012
The Final Witness

So many objection and cornered themes...but they're very good, tsk! If I had to just pick one of each, I mean yeah, the first games' get in every crossover and are great, BUT if I was the last person on earth and had to choose one of each for whatever reason, Objection 2001 and Cornered 2011!
I think the big difference and why I don't like the Yamazaki games is that his games go for more big and grandiose finale's, such as overthrowing a corrupt government or dealing with international incidents. Meanwhile Takumi's game revolve more around dealing with the characters personal demons and overcoming them.
I ended up thinking out loud and going on a huge ramble, but organizing it all: the endings were very personal for Athena and Blackquill, and attempted for Apollo in Dual Destinies, and in SoJ Apollo got lots of personal spotlight, BUT yeah, I guess one of the reasons I do prefer T&T and AJ is because they feel more intimate or something!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel like AAI2 and DD managed to take the personal aspects and growth and marry them with grander scoped stories to make really memorable games. SoJ lost that balance in part to their overcomplicating Apollo's story and the setting just being unpleasant in general.

I really hope the next game is Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney. Give us a game that's about AA1 or JFA in scope and you're gold.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like AAI2 and DD managed to take the personal aspects and growth and marry them with grander scoped stories to make really memorable games. SoJ lost that balance in part to their overcomplicating Apollo's story and the setting just being unpleasant in general.

I really hope the next game is Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney. Give us a game that's about AA1 or JFA in scope and you're gold.
It could happen. RE7 goes to show that even Capcom returns series to their roots when they feel like it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
why is everyone so down on the 3ds games?
- Unpleasant main settings, Khura'in
- Grandiose endings to less personal stories
- Tried too hard
- Not enough attention to characters, Trucy for example

People giving good perspectives! For me personally, I like the games, SoJ being one of my favs, but yeah, I don't like Khura'in and the last two games do feel cheesier than usual? Plus, personally, some characters...Klavier specifically, despite their best and appreciated efforts, he just doesn't look good in 3D to me...

But a lot of people DO look good in 3D which is impressive! SoJ really built off of DD and made some surprisingly impressive animations! But still, to me, Apollo and Phoenix look more awkward than they used to, but eh, they still did a good job...!

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Fun hypothetical time. We've talked music before but let's say each game in the series gets three songs added. Which songs would you pick? You don't have to include every game if you haven't played 'em all (haven't touched DGS yet, so...)
Here are my choices:

AA1
Pursuit ~ Cornered
Objection! 2001
The Steel Samurai

AA2
Pursuit ~ Questioned
Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters' Theme 2002
The Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth

AA3
Pursuit ~ Caught
Luke Atmey ~ I Just Want Love
Godot ~ The Fragrance of Dark-Colored Coffee

AA4
Pursuit ~ Overtaken
Apollo Justice ~ A New Trial is in Session!
Trucy Wright ~ Child of Magic

AA5
Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On
Thought Route ~ Resonance of the Synapses
Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire 2013

AA6
Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2016
Ema Skye ~ The Scientific Detective 2016

AAI1
Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
Shi-Long Lang ~ Speak Up, Pup!

AAI2
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
Logic Chess ~ Opening/Endgame
Gregory Edgeworth ~ A Defense Attorney's Knowledge

DGS1
Pursuit ~ Time for a Great Turnabout
The Great Cross-Examination ~ Allegro
Reasoning Battle ~ Beginning

DGS2
Great Pursuit ~ The Resolve Of Naruhodō Ryūnosuke
Ryūtarō Naruhodō ~ Objection! 2017
Partners ~ The Game is Afoot!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm literally only down on SoJ because of a bland setting, poor pacing, a lack of characters in each case, and putting one of my favorite characters in DD, Athena, on the back seat. Combine that with a main villain that felt villainy for the sake of it, too many twists and a weird overarching story, and you have a game that fell very flat.

It still contains one of my favorite cases in the series in case 2, so it's not an irredeemable game. It's just the one I'm probably never going to play again outside of a few moments and that case. The animations were pretty beautiful. I love Roger Retinz.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I like them, and DD in particular I'd say is almost up to par to the rest, but they have pretty distinguishable problems so I think there's no harm in pointing it out.
I'm literally only down on SoJ because of a bland setting, poor pacing, a lack of characters in each case, and putting one of my favorite characters in DD, Athena, on the back seat. Combine that with a main villain that felt villainy for the sake of it, too many twists and a weird overarching story, and you have a game that fell very flat.

It still contains one of my favorite cases in the series in case 2, so it's not an irredeemable game. It's just the one I'm probably never going to play again outside of a few moments and that case. The animations were pretty beautiful. I love Roger Retinz.
I think the cases in that game are pretty good overall, although the conclusion to 5 was too predictable (because of their insistence on overarching plots and villains). 2 and 4 are my personal standouts.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Personally I just don't like the 3DS mainline Ace Attorney games.

Dual destinies was just boring half the time, it's just throws AA4 out the window most of the time and Athena was just annoying to me, especially because she pretty much stole Apollo and Trucy's screentime.

The comes Spirit of justice, and while I admit there was an attempt to rectify these issues, I feel like that one falls flat too.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
While there's a lot of things I like about Dual Destinies...yeaaah, it's definitely the one I want to replay all the way through the least... and those points are understandable. I worry about uh...well, in case there's newcomers visiting, only peek if you've beat SoJ:
I like Apollo but I don't like Khura'in...! Now that he's decided to stay there...uhh, darn...! If he just flies back like "Nevermind!" that feels off, but if we get a game without him, darn, BUT if we get even one case with him, yay BUT agh Khura'in music and weird puns...but hey, they might update the setting to be less dreary thanks to Apollo's helpfulness in the country. But yeah, just kinda feels like oh no, now kinda can't have one without the other!

But what's ganna happen with the whole mom situation? Are they actually ganna finally tell them? I feel like Thalassa's ganna die or something, there's been so much buildup, it's been put off so much...! So, is Apollo ganna visit to get the news, or are they ganna go visit Apollo in Khura'in, orrr what, just like, a Skype call? Pffft, aaaahhh I don't knowww...

And I like Athena, but she can be a little too peppy at times, it honestly gets a bit embarrassing... Hmm... I'm just wondering where the next game might go. Maybe Apollo stays in Khura'in, and the legendary Phoenix Wright has to travel to solve big cases in another country, and rookie Athena is holding down the fort alone, with Trucy at least! Against a scaaary new prosecutor. Case 4 in SoJ was kind of like this, and Blackquill being there was fun, and Athena grew and all that while the other two were travelling, maybe they do something where everyone's separated so Athena needs to grow, and then they all reunite for the final case that includes Thalassa's reveal, uhh some twist with the new prosecutor, aaand... yeaaah...! ...I just thought out loud and rambled again haha ohh well
Whatever happens, I hope we see it this September! But, if not, totally understandable. These games take time! Making 5 or 6 great mysteries in a row, translating aaaall that text, all those animations and everything (I assume) being updated or even completely remade for the Switch (and other consoles, hopefully reaching wider audiences continue, even though that's even MORE additional work...!) I hope for sooner rather than later, but totally get if we gatta wait more!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just hope whatever happens, they stick with a single attorney for the next game. It's... Not easy to tell a story when 1/2 cases are just side-stories that don't involve the main character, so I don't know why they go that angle.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm fair enough then, i just love them all

I just hope whatever happens, they stick with a single attorney for the next game. It's... Not easy to tell a story when 1/2 cases are just side-stories that don't involve the main character, so I don't know why they go that angle.
to be fair all the games had side stories that didnt tie into the plot

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Greetings, folks! Fell out of the loop with this thread for a little bit, apparently not responding to a thread long enough automatically has you unfollow it, so I thought this thing went dormant. Well, now I know. I'll just respond to the most recent topic of discussion.

I personally liked the 3DS games. Liked, not loved, but still. Dual Destinies was okay to me, better than Apollo Justice (which I don't hate, but the completely, minus Phoenix, new cast was hard to adjust to, and the last case felt a bit anticlimactic with its conclusion), but blown out of the water by SoJ to me. Although that also has its flaws, I'll say I actually liked Khurain, and Cases 2 & 3 were pretty great and some of the most memorable in the series to me. Not without flaws, but if AA1 wasn't the first in the series, I'd rank SoJ a place above it. Just by a smidge.

As for what we'll see (or not see) in September, I'm curious what they'll do. The cast has been left in a weird place. Are they going to introduce a new attorney to fill Apollo's role at the office? Focus on Wright? Athena? Apollo in Khurain?

Time for a crack fan theory: What if they focus on Trucy? Not as the main attorney, but assistant? Like, have the overarching story involve Trucy somehow as the protagonist/deuteragonist, and you can bounce around with different lawyers in the driver's seat but keep it somewhat uniform by keeping Trucy as their co-counsel in each case? Could be a compromise for those who want focus and development on newer characters like Athena but want more old-school action with Wright.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
hmm fair enough then, i just love them all

to be fair all the games had side stories that didnt tie into the plot
It's not about plot, it's about character. If your main character is Phoenix Wright, and we spend 40% of the game not playing as Phoenix Wright, and not advancing the main story, that's a self-imposed handicap for said character and story's development.

Many Ace Attorney games have cases that work as side-stories, but that's because they're usually not as plot heavy. I made a more in-depth analysis about this, obviously spoilers for every game except the Dai games because I haven't finished the first one yet.

If you look at the first game, there's not really a story, but rather seeds for the final case's story (basically hints at Phoenix and Edgeworth's shared past, and DL-6). The story that there is is about Phoenix gaining his Independence and his footing as a lawyer, with his personal stake in the climax raising the stakes. JFA has even less seeds, as the final case works great on its own and the stakes are based more on character relationships than plot. With T&T they made the move to actually having an overarching plot, that also closed loose ends for the entire trilogy, but had some unique twists that made it unpredictable (the villain was known from the first case, was already dead, and the final culprit was not said villain). With AJ there's no clear sign of an overarching plot aside from the first and last cases. With all of these games the big culprit for the climax is a very big twist that's hard to see coming because it's a character beneath suspicion (AA1 has a prosecutor, which we've been led to believe has no involvement beyond being an antagonist; JFA has the defendant, after we've been trained to believe that the client is always innocent; T&T has the huge red herring of Dahlia, who basically makes the entire case about figuring her out and leaves the player lost beyond one hint; AJ has the culprit of a previous case be responsible for another one).

With the Investigations games and DD there's a clear shift toward a different style. All of these games are very overt in their approach to scenario. They all have clear storylines, new main characters that serve some important role in those storylines, and a main villain that is ultimately responsible for everything wrong and is the final culprit. Having a clear storyline and a main villain is ambitious, and I think for these games it works out, but the thing with having a main storyline is that with main characters established early on, some players can be able to figure out who could fill in what role (for example, while I think Fullbright being the Phantom worked very well, since the series doesn't usually change the detective for every game his presence might have tipped people off). For the most part, however, these games pull it off, having some pretty great twists (I think a standout is the reveal in Dual Destinies that the guilty-as-sin culprit of the first case wasn't actually guilty), and some that fall flat (the main bad guy for AAI2 is just some random NPC that showed up in a single case, almost as a token appearance to have him technically be a part of the story before being revealed as the villain).

With Spirit of Justice, though, they dropped the ball. They added way too many important supporting characters, but made the main villain incredibly obvious from the get-go, and therefore making the final case lack impact (they did attempt to have a red herring, but when you make the red herring the victim of the final case you're just tipping your hand). There are other writing problems with the game, but I think when the writing for the mystery of a case is screwed up, that's when we have a problem.

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED Talk, remember to hit that like button and subscribe.

Edit:
Time for a crack fan theory: What if they focus on Trucy? Not as the main attorney, but assistant? Like, have the overarching story involve Trucy somehow as the protagonist/deuteragonist, and you can bounce around with different lawyers in the driver's seat but keep it somewhat uniform by keeping Trucy as their co-counsel in each case? Could be a compromise for those who want focus and development on newer characters like Athena but want more old-school action with Wright.
I think this could work very well. Trucy was a very central character in AJ but they certainly left a lot of plotlines to work with and they've been just... Ignored in the last couple of games.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not about plot, it's about character. If your main character is Phoenix Wright, and we spend 40% of the game not playing as Phoenix Wright, and not advancing the main story, that's a self-imposed handicap for said character and story's development.
that ones kind of our own fault, so many fans complained phoenix wasnt the main character anymore so they made him it again even though they werent done telling apollo's story

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Apollo Justice: It's like MGS2, except that there's less death, and no one makes you feel bad for playing a video game!

Seriously though, sometimes, the comfort zone of fans is a little too strong. Especially in traditionally-minded Japan. :ohwell:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
that ones kind of our own fault, so many fans complained phoenix wasnt the main character anymore so they made him it again even though they werent done telling apollo's story
I agree. Phoenix returning should have been something for a third Apollo Justice game, if at all. They went for fanservice and that really limited their options. I love Athena but if they wanted to keep Apollo and make Phoenix come back then they shouldn't have added a third playable character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At any rate, it'll soon get impossible to keep raising the stakes (unless they got a satellite wiping out a small nation if a defendant loses, or something), so at least things may get dialed down a bit next time.
perhaps they might, except perhaps for the rival prosecutor those guys are dangerous

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Just give us a good personal story for the main characters and side characters that make the player want to solve the cases for their sakes.
Apollo has an obvious story, and Athena has a potential coming of age story they could use.

Might be a hot take here, but I'd rather no new rival prosecutor for AA7 and instead they develop the ones they already have. Have Nahyuta face off Apollo in Khurain, and Athena can face off Blackquill and Klavier in the states. Phoenix's case could easily involve Franziska von Karma to give her some spotlight.

Last edited:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I think this tweet is bang on the money, myself.
Every other game has its own DL-6 analogue, but they always wrap everything up in a nice little bow by the time the credits roll. You may have solved the mystery in 1-4, but the wounds still take the next two games to heal. The losses of, say, Zak or Clay don't feel as pertinent because they don't seem to affect the characters in the long run at all.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think this tweet is bang on the money, myself.
Every other game has its own DL-6 analogue, but they always wrap everything up in a nice little bow by the time the credits roll. You may have solved the mystery in 1-4, but the wounds still take the next two games to heal. The losses of, say, Zak or Clay don't feel as pertinent because they don't seem to affect the characters in the long run at all.
It also helps that the relationships between these characters feels a lot more believable in the original trilogy than in the sequels.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Makes me think how much it'd mean if they'd mention
Kristoph
and Phoenix and Apollo show reactions that make you feel like they're still hurt and unsatisfied, since those black psychelocks never unlocked, and while we have a motive it feels like there's not enough there to go that far? I was talkin with buds and thought like, nah, it was good, but maybe that arc is done, don't over-do it, buuut...I dunno...maybe that unfinished business can be tackled in an amazing wayyy...orrr maybe it should be left alone for the cool, chilling, unexplained scar that it is, I don't knowww...

And ooh, I'd love to see Franny back! I'd also been suggesting "what if" cases, or a whole "what if" game where you can get away with wild things and no one is safe, like having Phoenix be a victim and seeing characters deal with that, all cause it wouldn't be canon to the main series story! Then they made those cute lil "what if" cases for Spirit of Justice! I like the one with Phoenix, and then the Apollo one was cute but a bit too cheesy for me, BUT, it's a cool start and I would totally be down for more what if stuff, buuut an entire what if game now...while it could be fun, I'd personally feel like that's a lot of time and effort going to something not advancing the main story...hmmm...

And I think I've already said this, but... HOW are they ganna factor in
Thalassa finally revealing that stuff to Apollo and Trucy? They say it's finally time at the end of SoJ so...that's a commitment right there, we're getting that reveal...! ...probably! Unless the next games take place in a new world and time which could be cool too(ahh, but trying to sell an Ace Attorney game without Phoenix...risky...), BUT, yeah! The way there's so much buildup, just feels like she's ganna die or somethin...!

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Kristoph
and Phoenix and Apollo show reactions that make you feel like they're still hurt and unsatisfied, since those black psychelocks never unlocked, and while we have a motive it feels like there's not enough there to go that far? I was talkin with buds and thought like, nah, it was good, but maybe that arc is done, don't over-do it, buuut...I dunno...maybe that unfinished business can be tackled in an amazing wayyy...orrr maybe it should be left alone for the cool, chilling, unexplained scar that it is, I don't knowww...

And ooh, I'd love to see Franny back! I'd also been suggesting "what if" cases, or a whole "what if" game where you can get away with wild things and no one is safe, like having Phoenix be a victim and seeing characters deal with that, all cause it wouldn't be canon to the main series story! Then they made those cute lil "what if" cases for Spirit of Justice! I like the one with Phoenix, and then the Apollo one was cute but a bit too cheesy for me, BUT, it's a cool start and I would totally be down for more what if stuff, buuut an entire what if game now...while it could be fun, I'd personally feel like that's a lot of time and effort going to something not advancing the main story...hmmm...

Thalassa finally revealing that stuff to Apollo and Trucy? They say it's finally time at the end of SoJ so...that's a commitment right there, we're getting that reveal...! ...probably! Unless the next games take place in a new world and time which could be cool too(ahh, but trying to sell an Ace Attorney game without Phoenix...risky...), BUT, yeah! The way there's so much buildup, just feels like she's ganna die or somethin...!
I'd totally be down for a big "what if" game. Some fan fics already explore this, like "what if the bad ending to 2-4 or 5-5 was canon?", but they could go even further and really explore some fun ideas. What if Zak took Kristoph as his lawyer instead of turning him down over a game of poker, thus preventing a lot of the events of Apollo Justice? What if Wright became an artist instead of becoming a lawyer? What if Pearl became the princess of Khura-

... oh wait. They already did that. That was a trip. But yeah, a balance of silly/serious what-ifs would be really fun to explore if they ever wanted to do a spin-off like that, but I don't think we'll see something like that any time soon.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Kristoph

Those are all neat plot threads to explore. I likes.

D

Deleted member

I really wanna see phoenix join smash I think he would have a great and unique moveset so count me in!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I played the four original cases of Ace Attorney 1 on iOS about 4 years back, but never got around to doing Rise From the Ashes. Eventually that phone died on me and I didn’t want to replay the whole first four cases again just to get up to it to play it.

Just last week I bought the trilogy on Switch and kinda sped through most of the first four cases (but spent more time on Turnabout Goodbyes because I forgot most of the details, and because it’s such an interesting case).

I forgot how much I loved what I played, and having just started Rise From the Ashes, I’m looking forward to playing it and the second and third game (although i heard RFtA is kinda boring).

I also realized how much I’d love Phoenix in Smash (a common symptom of whenever I play a new game during this DLC period), and think he has a solid shot too. I digress, but I currently think characters 4 and 5 will be some combination of a Namco-Bandai character, a Capcom character, or Crash.

Phoenix would bring such a beloved series to Smash, and I have no doubt he’d be a quite a unique addition in terms of gameplay. Ive never played MvC3 so I don’t know how he works in that game, but I could definitely see Sakurai giving him some sort of “evidence” gimmick that changes some of his specials.

In an ideal world, we’d get a Miles echo fighter as well, for no other reason but to have this as a taunt in Smash:

91E58F5C-76BB-4791-B0CE-6C199B7CA0E4.gif

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I played the four original cases of Ace Attorney 1 on iOS about 4 years back, but never got around to doing Rise From the Ashes. Eventually that phone died on me and I didn’t want to replay the whole first four cases again just to get up to it to play it.

Just last week I bought the trilogy on Switch and kinda sped through most of the first four cases (but spent more time on Turnabout Goodbyes because I forgot most of the details, and because it’s such an interesting case).

I forgot how much I loved what I played, and having just started Rise From the Ashes, I’m looking forward to playing it and the second and third game (although i heard RFtA is kinda boring).

I also realized how much I’d love Phoenix in Smash (a common symptom of whenever I play a new game during this DLC period), and think he has a solid shot too. I digress, but I currently think characters 4 and 5 will be some combination of a Namco-Bandai character, a Capcom character, or Crash.

Phoenix would bring such a beloved series to Smash, and I have no doubt he’d be a quite a unique addition in terms of gameplay. Ive never played MvC3 so I don’t know how he works in that game, but I could definitely see Sakurai giving him some sort of “evidence” gimmick that changes some of his specials.

In an ideal world, we’d get a Miles echo fighter as well, for no other reason but to have this as a taunt in Smash:

View attachment 232334
I don't know where you heard that Rise from the Ashes is boring, but you're in for a treat.

(Inb4 I find out that I'm the only one here who thinks it's great)

Edgeworth as an Echo Fighter is definitely a down-the-line goal for me. After Phoenix gets it I start campaigning for Edgey.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think Rise from the Ashes is boring, I just feel like it's too long so parts of it are boring. But when the good stuff in the plot kicks in it gets pretty good.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I feel like Rise fro the Ashes belongs to Apollo Justice, not only because of Ema, but because how much idolizes the features of the NDS.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, Rise from the Ashes is cool, I haven't heard it's boring, but I've heard it's long, but that's just cause of the record breaking number of pieces of evidence ya get! Things were hype for me all the way through!

Oh, I guess people probably get stuck on the video part! Yeaaah, you can't really manipulate the video as much as you want and they flashback or show it off a lot, that probably annoys people! The only other thing I didn't like was blowing into my DS mic cause it barely worked, but that ain't a problem in the trilogy haha

But nah, yeah! A memorable, fun, cool case, think you'll enjoy!

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I feel like Rise fro the Ashes belongs to Apollo Justice, not only because of Ema, but because how much idolizes the features of the NDS.
Yeah, Rise from the Ashes is cool, I haven't heard it's boring, but I've heard it's long, but that's just cause of the record breaking number of pieces of evidence ya get! Things were hype for me all the way through!

Oh, I guess people probably get stuck on the video part! Yeaaah, you can't really manipulate the video as much as you want and they flashback or show it off a lot, that probably annoys people! The only other thing I didn't like was blowing into my DS mic cause it barely worked, but that ain't a problem in the trilogy haha

But nah, yeah! A memorable, fun, cool case, think you'll enjoy!
I don't really know what to say.
I completed the First game on the Wii...

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Huh, how does it play there? Or on PS4, for that matter.
Well, it's a direct port of the NDS version, but instead of screaming Objection! (Or Blow) in a Microphone you can point at the screen with the Wiimote! Rise from the Ashes was DLC, and it maintained all of the content it had (Yeah, even the vídeo and the Credits of it).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
After some thought and playing through the games, may I throw my hat into supporting the Ace Attorney? I loved the original trilogy, Miles Edgeworth Investigations 1 & 2 were great (Especially 2, my heart!) and I am currently watching a LP of Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken (translated)
and loving it.
Also, I would like to share this in commemoration of this!

EDIT: If he gets in, what spirit battles are you hoping for? I would love to see what Sakurai could do with a Dahlia spirit battle. (Daisy as Dahlia)

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've gotten a lot of people into the series this past year. Must say the hardest part is not giving away things with your body language or words!

Top Bottom