• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Despite being able to purchase the games, region-free and it being as easy as simply making a new cover art, Capcom still refuse to actually localize physical releases of titles like Ace Attorney. Why am I not surprised by their laziness? :U
I mean, DMC4's Director's cut still has no physical release overseas, and the Beat 'Em Up Bundle doesn't have one overseas either. I wasn't expecting things to be any different for this trilogy compilation, especially given the prior AA entries.

Maybe getting Phoenix in Smash might force things to change…

Capcom sure do suck sometimes. Love their games but their decisions often beggar belief. Not only for Ace Attorney either, but the other IPs have these brain dead decisions from time to time.

Having said that, if Phoenix is in Smash I'll forget all these sins you did, Capcom.
RIP Breath Of Fire, you didn't deserve your last game to be on mobile…

Don't know if we've got any metalheads here but a long while back GaMetal did a cover of Cornered.

Great fan composer, man, the minute Phoenix gets in Smash, there should be a montage with this remix in it.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I mean, DMC4's Director's cut still has no physical release overseas, and the Beat 'Em Up Bundle doesn't have one overseas either. I wasn't expecting things to be any different for this trilogy compilation, especially given the prior AA entries.

Maybe getting Phoenix in Smash might force things to change…
It's one of the main reasons I'm hoping Phoenix gets in.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ered_for_switch_if_dragons_dogma_sells_enough
>we'd love to put DMC5 on the Switch, but only if Dragon's Dogma sells~
Bloody hell, is it possible to do something in that company without any strings attached?
Apparently, it would seem they're deathly allergic to such.

I could go on for hours documenting how frustrating it is that so many keen franchises are held captive by a company like Capcom that always have to balance out all the good they do with bad and stupid actions. Mainly towards consumers.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Guess we could with some fun. Which Pokemon type would AA characters use?

Obviously the Feys would use ghost, psychic, and the occasional dark type. And I can see Franziska loving the fighting-type. Edgeworth would hate the ground-type so in self-defense would clearly be a flying type trainer.

Last edited:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024

Obviously the Feys would use ghost, psychic, and the occasional dark type. And I can see Franziska loving the fighting-type. Edgeworth would hate the ground-type so in self-defense would clearly be a flying type trainer.
Sounds interesting. I would say Athena would be fire and/or electric. Fire because she has a red hot passion and easily gets riled up and electric since she pretty much spent most of her early life around electronics and robots. For Blackquil, I would say steel type with his whole samurai shtick but maybe flying type as well since he seems to like birds.

Dahlia would definitely use poison types for obvious reasons. Trucy I'm guessing would be into fairy types since she looks sweet but is quite mischievous like the fairy type. Klavier I'm guessing electric types because of his music band and he even somewhat looks like the Rocker/Guitarist trainer class. Kay would probably like dark type since she is a thief.

Still trying to think up of what types Phoenix, Apollo and Gumshoes would be into. I guess Normal types for Phoenix and Apollo since they are the most vanilla of the AA cast.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice

Wouldn't franziska go Grass for the vine whip? Maybe a bulbasaur. Ho-oh or Moltres for Phoenix? Since they are literally phoenixes.
Exploud for Apollo works lol.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sounds interesting. I would say Athena would be fire and/or electric. Fire because she has a red hot passion and easily gets riled up and electric since she pretty much spent most of her early life around electronics and robots. For Blackquil, I would say steel type with his whole samurai shtick but maybe flying type as well since he seems to like birds.

Dahlia would definitely use poison types for obvious reasons. Trucy I'm guessing would be into fairy types since she looks sweet but is quite mischievous like the fairy type. Klavier I'm guessing electric types because of his music band and he even somewhat looks like the Rocker/Guitarist trainer class. Kay would probably like dark type since she is a thief.

Still trying to think up of what types Phoenix, Apollo and Gumshoes would be into. I guess Normal types for Phoenix and Apollo since they are the most vanilla of the AA cast.
Gumshoe would use the rock-type. He's rock solid, you know!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I don't really see Nick focusing on types. He would use whatever Pokemon works best for him more than anything.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Whatever Pokemon team Phoenix would have, we all know his main partner would be Pidgeotto. :017:
bed.jpg

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would say “Um, Moltres, duh", but someone would get on my case for suggesting a legendary Pokémon in such a manner.
Hence why I said his main partner, not his ace.
Like how Ash's main partner is Pikachu that is always by his side, but his ace is usually one of the big boy's like Charizard, Infernape, Greninja etc.
His ace could be Moltress if you want.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It's been exactly a month since the Trilogy released on the Japanese eShop, and I have successfully finished the games late last night. Even though this is my fourth time playing through the original trilogy, it never gets old to me. The characters are very likable, the cases are great as always, and I love the satisfaction of memorizing the facts and pointing out the witness's contradictions. There are very few games that make me feel emotionally connected throughout the entire experience, and the Ace Attorney games shine in that regard. Phoenix Wright himself is also an excellent embodiment of the player, as if anyone has not played these games before, you may have similar reactions to his thoughts and learn about the plot alongside him as the game progresses. Both the player and Phoenix may not know what happens next, but they share one thing in common; they believe in their actions and will do whatever they can to succeed. It's rare to see that sort of immersion in non-silent protagonists, and it makes Phoenix Wright as a Smash character an appealing idea. To turn around dire situations and make them your own; that's the Phoenix Wright way, and it would make him satisfying to play as in Smash.

With other highly acclaimed games like Bayonetta and Persona being featured in Smash, the Ace Attorney games are too great to not include alongside the other third party franchises. I still stand by Phoenix Wright being my most wanted character overall after King K. Rool's inclusion, and after playing the original trilogy again, I only want him even more. I know we already have three other Capcom characters in Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken, but I feel like Phoenix Wright offers something different. For one, there are not many adventure game reps, let alone any visual novel characters, and he would be a great candidate to represent that genre of gaming. Plus, I see it less as another Capcom rep and more of another great series represented in Smash. Smash's third party choices are becoming something more akin to celebrating some of the greatest franchises in the video game inudstry, and even though Ace Attorney isn't as well known as many other games, I feel like it would be way more poular if more people knew about it. Including Phoenix Wright in Smash would be a great way to raise awareness and sales of the series, plus it would cement it as the all-time great it was always meant to be. Ace Attorney being loyal to Nintendo platforms throughout the years needs some sort of reward as well, it's only fair that Phoenix should be able to thank Mario himself in the battlefield of Smash.

Overall, I'm very happy I took the time to replay the original trilogy. This playthrough took me about 60 hours total, and I highly recommend trying out these games if one is curious and hasn't played them before. Personally, my favorite case is 1-4, but there are so many other great cases throughout the series as well. I just love going up against veteran Manfred von Karma as rookie Phoenix Wright so much. Here is an article I wrote for Source Gaming a few years ago as well, in case anyone wants to hear my opinion on Phoenix's chances. Hopefully Phoenix Wright is one of the remaining DLC characters, I will never give up the good fight. The miracle can happen!

2019031414354700-DECD6107E5477CFA2919C447E5B68FF0.jpg

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
When is TGS again? I want that AA7 trailer.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So since Joker has a Jane alternate costume in the files with a ponytail that may have been just revealed a few days ago puts a dent in the "DLC was chosen earlier than we think" theory.

Of course adding a costume later on is easier than a full on model, plus it depends how long Atlus have been planning it.

However I do not think Phoenix is in. The meeting was that - a meeting, with Rex being disconfirmed on the principle that Nintendo did not care to use him as DLC rather than timing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So since Joker has a Jane alternate costume in the files with a ponytail that may have been just revealed a few days ago puts a dent in the "DLC was chosen earlier than we think" theory.

Of course adding a costume later on is easier than a full on model, plus it depends how long Atlus have been planning it.

However I do not think Phoenix is in. The meeting was that - a meeting, with Rex being disconfirmed on the principle that Nintendo did not care to use him as DLC rather than timing.
nah nintendo would suggest rex

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What meeting concerning Rex? What does that have to do with Phoenix Wright's chances?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
hes a popular character from a quite successful switch game, one of their own characters

why is it you think they wouldnt?
Old news when DLC was decided on/to be released. Xenoblade is also not a huge series by any means.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Old news when DLC was decided on/to be released. Xenoblade is also not a huge series by any means.
well its a huge presumption to think they had decided dlc that long ago while they were still focusing on the base game, xenoblade has proved popular enough and successful enough and nintendo would know that

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Imo there's no way Rex wouldn't be DLC if they could make him. He's massively popular, especially in Japan. Xenoblade 2 would qualify as a game that could use the promotion (like Fates did). And Sakurai's apology seals the deal imo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Imo there's no way Rex wouldn't be DLC if they could make him. He's massively popular, especially in Japan. Xenoblade 2 would qualify as a game that could use the promotion (like Fates did). And Sakurai's apology seals the deal imo.
corrin wasnt promotion, it was just what they were all playing

Last edited:

viras

Smash Rookie
This would be really cool, consider me in but wth is he gonna do? Hit people with a briefcase?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

Alternatively, Nintendo could have chosen Joker and then greenlit the alt after they were made aware of her. It isn't too unreasonable to think that, when negotiating for Joker, someone could have brought up the prospect of using the new MC that was in development and Nintendo chose to include her as well.

I still think Rex might have been a bit too late to the party to be considered, though it is possible that they just didn't see him as that important, or even unique enough to be a non-echo, to include.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
This would be really cool, consider me in but wth is he gonna do? Hit people with a briefcase?
Late but we made many movesets throughout the thread. Take a gander.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It makes me happy to see that over 1/3 (34%) out of almost 1000 people intend to buy the Trilogy right away. Fantastic numbers!
That's pretty cool. Good to see the series still has a dedicated following and probably a pretty good handful of people looking to try it for the first time.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I still wish we had the second Trilogy (and AAI games, dangit!) available as well, but any way to enter is the right way. My AA journey started with the DS release of Justice For All, after all.

Can't believe I've been part of the fandom for over a decade now. Wild.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They are probably waiting for AA7 to do a quadruple collection. I say this because AA7 is hinted to tie up the loose ends of that story in Spirit of Justice's epilogue.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I still wish we had the second Trilogy (and AAI games, dangit!) available as well, but any way to enter is the right way.
I would love to see the Miles Edgeworth Investigations Duology (with the second one needing an official translation) available on new platforms especially because it is kind of hard to come back to those games since they lack a text skip option.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I ****ing love Ace Attorney. It's one of my favorite game series. And Phoenix Wright is one of my favorite game characters. He's such a dork, but he's cool at the same time. That said, I don't see how he could be interesting in smash. I don't like when fighting games take characters that don't fight and just have them punch and kick. And I don't like moveset that just consist of hitting opponents with references to their game. I'm aware of Wright in Marvel vs Capcom, and I'm not excited about that style. I'm hoping someone here can convince me how he would be good in smash so I can fully support.

Top Bottom