• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Dante would be cool down the line, but I'd much rather than Phoenix first. After that Amaterasu would be by preference, but wouldn't begrudge him or Resident Evil.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Getting Ammy, Phoenix, and Leon or Jill (with bonus Dante) would be a blast. Throw Viewtiful Joe in it too.

Where's Nintendo vs. Capcom at, y'all??

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Lord knows it should go better than the MvC series has lately.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for that installment of MvC 4 aka MvC Infinite with Apollo Justice in it according to Vergeben. Lol

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ugh, woulda been cool... I remember when they "leaked" Simon Blackquill and thought it was a weird choice at first but then got into it, his bird, katana, maybe a command grab with handcuffs, maybe some of his sister's robots, and his theme being sped up and remixed to something that would fit MvC3...! Too bad things didn't turn out that way, glad Phoenix dodged the bullet of MvCi, yuck. I also made a sort of wishlist for a potential Nintendo vs Capcom a while ago! It's definitely not a prediction or whatever, just mostly what I'd prefer! Some are there just for buds, like Monster Hunter, but I don't dislike anyone here and Ace Attorney is all mine! Maybe I'd add Athena too though... And I imagine Apollo helping in Trucy's moveset and stuff, but yeah... And also now I kinda wanna add Piranha Plant augh, yeah this is old, needs to be updated...but it's mostly the same so whatever!
nintendo vs capcom.png

Also I wanted to re-rank the games for me personally real quick, slight adjustments:
Trials & Tribulations
Apollo Justice
Spirit of Justice
Ace Attorney
Dual Destinies
Justice For All
Still none are bad, and JFA's last case is like, maybe my second favorite case in the whole series.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ugh, woulda been cool... I remember when they "leaked" Simon Blackquill and thought it was a weird choice at first but then got into it, his bird, katana, maybe a command grab with handcuffs, maybe some of his sister's robots, and his theme being sped up and remixed to something that would fit MvC3...! Too bad things didn't turn out that way, glad Phoenix dodged the bullet of MvCi, yuck. I also made a sort of wishlist for a potential Nintendo vs Capcom a while ago! It's definitely not a prediction or whatever, just mostly what I'd prefer! Some are there just for buds, like Monster Hunter, but I don't dislike anyone here and Ace Attorney is all mine! Maybe I'd add Athena too though... And I imagine Apollo helping in Trucy's moveset and stuff, but yeah... And also now I kinda wanna add Piranha Plant augh, yeah this is old, needs to be updated...but it's mostly the same so whatever!
View attachment 190089
Also I wanted to re-rank the games for me personally real quick, slight adjustments:
Trials & Tribulations
Spirit of Justice
Apollo Justice
Ace Attorney
Dual Destinies
Justice For All
Still none are bad, and JFA's last case is like, maybe my second favorite case in the whole series.
I love that this pic has some really unusual choices, like Trucy and Servbot. Awesome and fun lineup!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to this site I've been thinking about this character a lot and in my bewilderment brainstorming how they'd play, even with my somewhat limited knowledge of this series. This is seriously one of the most interesting characters I've seen potential moveset wise.

I'd imagine Phoenix here approaches Smash like a legal case rather than directly battering his opponent (mostly), instead fighting with legal terms. His playstyle I figure being defensive and methodical, revolving around "building a strong case" before moving in for the kill. I've been having fun thinking of a bit of a moveset for him. I'm very intrigued now and I may even finish later.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Thanks to this site I've been thinking about this character a lot and in my bewilderment brainstorming how they'd play, even with my somewhat limited knowledge of this series. This is seriously one of the most interesting characters I've seen potential moveset wise.

I'd imagine Phoenix here approaches Smash like a legal case rather than directly battering his opponent (mostly), instead fighting with legal terms. His playstyle I figure being defensive and methodical, revolving around "building a strong case" before moving in for the kill. I've been having fun thinking of a bit of a moveset for him. I'm very intrigued now and I may even finish later.
Hopefully it includes some in-series features like The Magatama, the speech bubbles (for visual novel flair!), and the insane wind and explosion effects the courtroom can have.

Personally I starting to dig the idea of having the sprite/model poses as aerials. Confident could work as a neutral-air, head shrug could be up-air, and desk slam could work as a down-air. All would have disjointed hitboxes to add some flair. And the animations are different from one another to not be a problem in terms of game design.

I also like the buddy system, since Phoenix does get help from his allies in court more often than that. Maybe it could be another 3-stage move where depending on the level it's at, a different friend will come to their aid.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ooh, for a three-step buddy system I would love Maya, Ema, and then Apollo & Athena...or Maya, Apollo/Athena, and Edgeworth? That'd be fun.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I was thinking each special move could have a different budy with their own properties, but it would depend on what the moves even are to begin with, but also how to make them different from one another while keeping some sort of consistency.

You could perhaps play with Apollo's Perceive, Athena's Mood Matrix, and Edgeworth's Logic Chess as one special move. All having their own pros and cons with the rotation being consistent and known to the player.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I was thinking each special move could have a different budy with their own properties, but it would depend on what the moves even are to begin with, but also how to make them different from one another while keeping some sort of consistency.

You could perhaps play with Apollo's Perceive, Athena's Mood Matrix, and Edgeworth's Logic Chess as one special move. All having their own pros and cons with the rotation being consistent and known to the player.
Yes! I'd love this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Not too sure if that sounds direct enough based on what he said. He seems unsure...would Capcom include him without knowing?

I'd see it as a soft disconfirm for wave 1 for now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
View attachment 190089
Trials & Tribulations
Apollo Justice
Spirit of Justice
Ace Attorney
Dual Destinies
Justice For All
Woah... I kinda dig pretty much all of this roster.
Not that I recognize every single one (I know, I'm a fake gamer).
But I end up wanting to experience new games if I encounter the franchise somehow anyway.

HW Ganondorf is probably my favorite.
Von Karma is the new whip character.
Sissel is awesome.
The fact that there are 4 PW characters is awesome.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not too sure if that sounds direct enough based on what he said. He seems unsure...would Capcom include him without knowing?

A fair point. It's acceptable for Western companies not to be informed if they don't own the characters anymore (see :ultkrool:), but not telling a local company's staffers for borrowing their stuff would seem more than a little rude.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

The thing with Sakurai is that for third party characters he tends to go to the teams who make the games and asks for advice on the proper way to represent them. So the Director of DmC not knowing would be really strange.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I suppose that's true. Helps Phoenix by a smidge, but honestly think Resident Evil is the biggest threat anyway.

But it seems to be getting better for lawyers nowadays. Now hopefully Capcom actually have a character planned! Dante and Monster Hunter being in precarious states helps a lot.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I suppose that's true. Helps Phoenix by a smidge, but honestly think Resident Evil is the biggest threat anyway.

But it seems to be getting better for lawyers nowadays. Now hopefully Capcom actually have a character planned!
What I started thinking about personally is that how much of a chance does Phoenix actually have? We aren't working off a lot here. Erdrick and Steve have insiders, Banjo has a lot of rumors among other things. Phoenix has nothing outside the fact his game has mysteriously no spirits for a game that has primarily been Nintendo exclusive. And Capcom has been extremely generous with letting Nintendo use their properties in Smash. Ace Attorney is extremely popular in Japan. So to see no references to it in a game with a whole lot of Capcom references is strange to me.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What I started thinking about personally is that how much of a chance does Phoenix actually have? We aren't working off a lot here. Erdrick and Steve have insiders, Banjo has a lot of rumors among other things. Phoenix has nothing outside the fact his game has mysteriously no spirits for a game that has primarily been Nintendo exclusive. And Capcom has been extremely generous with letting Nintendo use their properties in Smash. Ace Attorney is extremely popular in Japan. So to see no references to it in a game with a whole lot of Capcom references is strange to me.
Not a big one, but a chance. I don't expect him in, but this is certainly the best shot he has ever had.

He seems to score well in fan polls. He's consistently the top Capcom pick in many of them, but those can be unreliable and have biases at play. But it's better than nothing.

Ace Attorney would be the IP they'd want to promote more if their decision went that direction. Everyone knows about RE and DMC, but AA is in that smaller franchise category that could do with a boost. What will help it is being available on every modern console and Steam this year.

But I think Resident Evil is way too iconic and it being in contention still makes me think it will be that if Capcom were to get another character.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
We really are lucky to have so many iconic possible Capcom reps. I'd love Resident Evil in Smash and I'd take the loss gracefully, but man oh man Phoenix is my number one want now Joker is in (though 2B is hovering off to the side occupying the top slot in the "impossible-but-yes-please" section).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Joker is supposed to represent the rest of the DLC, I really do see Phoenix being on his level. Popular but not the most well-known. Not someone you would actually expect to appear in smash.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Eh Persona 5 was a big boi game. Won countless awards and acclaims.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh Persona 5 was a big boi game. Won countless awards and acclaims.
That was in like two years, still a relative new kid on the block. Then again, it is the game that finally broke Persona from the "niche" branding.

As for RE, the big question mark is if Joker is allowed to use his handgun, can they stand a chance? Also, why hasn't anyone drawn prospective fighters having to go through customs to see which weapons they're allowed to bring?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So the trilogy comes out in Japan soon. Must say I am partially disappointed there's no extra case and they didn't take the chance to re-do the art. Now the sprites look even more like plastic. Ah well, hopefully it does really well on release over here.

Next week should see Turnabout Memories dubbed I imagine. Excited to see who plays Dahlia.
And of course this weekend we see the conclusion of Beginnings. God I cannot wait for Bridge's adaptation.

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Must say I am partially disappointed there's no extra case and they didn't take the chance to re-do the art.
That's strange, I could of swore they said "Murder on the Turnabout Express" would be in the new trilogy?

I'm surprised they haven't made an release date announcement for the trilogy in the west yet, I wonder when we are going to get one.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
That's strange, I could of swore they said "Murder on the Turnabout Express" would be in the new trilogy?

I'm surprised they haven't made an release date announcement for the trilogy in the west yet, I wonder when we are going to get one.
Maybe DLC???? Because Capcom...

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well, I'm glad you asked! Now remember everyone, none of this is absolutely confirmed, but it's keen detective work nonetheless.

Now, if you'll recall, Reggie did say that Joker would be emblematic of the DLC. Now, all joking of PR aside, Joker from Persona 5, Dragon Quest and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, are all beginning to share noticeable similarities regarding Smash and Sakurai.

Let's start off with this point:

All 3 series had something going on 2015-2016, during which the DLC. Persona 5 making the splash it was with its release in 2016, DQ11 in notable development at the time to the point where they'd confirmed that Switch (at the time known as the NX) would get the game, and Ace Attorney had Spirit of Justice during that time, as well as DGS.

Now, alone that seems like a coincidence, but let's factor this in: In the same year, Sakurai had a column for each of these series, heck some of the specific games as well! He praised Persona 5, he gave a column to Dragon Quest, and even Ace Attorney has been confirmed to have Sakurai as a fan.

So, we know he's a big fan of each of these series. And let's bring up that tweet Sakurai made about the procedure for this DLC:
That's right. While Nintendo choose the original list, Sakurai is still the one making the selections. Series that he's a fan of, have that keen boost. Of course, that's not the evidence all on its own.

Some may think, "But isn't this too obvious?". Not to the typical Smash goer. See, alot of what these guys have in relation is talked about way back in 2016, which not everyone except nuts like us may pay mind to, and even then, it's only after Joker's reveal that more zany picks like Phoenix seem this plausible!

Now, let's zero in some more on Sakurai's actions during 2016 when negotiations for DLC was underway. IN favor of the Erdrick's rising chances, Sakurai on record, had gone to visit the offices of Dragon Quest in 2016. In fact, Sakurai was there at the interview where Yuji Horii confirmed the Switch would be getting DQ11. And for Erdrick himself, well, Dragon Quest 3 is Sakurai's favorite DQ game:

And well, needless to say, Saks has been over there a few times. He's got a nice budding relationship with the DQ team apparently. Something similar to what was recently revealed when he visited Atlus buildings for an interview not too long ago from now.

Now, in relation to Ace Attorney? Well......

As you probably know, Sakurai has been confirmed to have met with Takumi during that same year. Now, whether or not Takumi would know if Phoenix is in, given Takumi's currently unknown position in current Ace Attorney productions, Sakurai would likely want to meet the original creator and get some tips or whatnot. Now, if they were regarded as usual pals, this photo would probably not mean as much, but they definitely don't awfully mingle a lot. Hence why this photo has been getting a lot of attention this year regarding Smash.

Case in point though. as the Judge said in Turnabout Goodbyes:

To recap, on its own, Joker's reveal merely helps Phoenix's chances, but as we've established now, there's more relatable to these franchises and their characters in general. All of them have stuff coming out this year, and if Persona 5's rumored Switch port is true, all of them will be stuff that would benefit Nintendo enough to have them on the list.

And each character is certainly big enough for the excitement factor.

Now, to bring things to a close, there are some more minor things that may be more grasping, but are things to consider.

Now, DLC is on a budget, and while I don't think it alone decides the characters, the VAs that come with them may make things easier or whatnot monetarily. Especially if per say, they're VAs already within the project.

Joker of course has Xander Mobus already on board. And with Ace Attorney.....Abby Trott is in there already. While Ace Attorney in Japan surprisingly doesn't really have consistent VAs so Abby's presence here is more notable. Again, this part is like more of a cherry than the cake of evidence, but, if they were planning to have Maya in some way alongside Phoenix, having Abby already affiliated could help them in the budget, Just some food for thought.

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything, but bottomline. If Erdrick gets in. Notice that we may have something of a pattern here, and a pretty sweet one at that.

And while Hitagi isn't the most sturdy of leakers looking right now, Phoenix Wright was suspiciously one of the few characters he didn't disconfirm when asked about.

Oh, and if all the DLC fighters are ones that HAVE NOT been represented in Smash before in any way, spirits included......welp.

Heh, sorry that took a while to construct.
In regards to the Dragon Quest phase of this, recent news from the leaker King Zell, has suggested that Erdrick should be "coming soon". If Erdrick, the protagonist of Sakurai's favorite DQ game, does indeed get in, that's a hypothetical step closer to our ultimate goal.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well boys and girls, today's the day for a new direct. Let's pray that this becomes a reality.

If not today then some day during Ultimate's tenure.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
At the very least, I'm hoping for news on Ace Attorney Trilogy's Switch (and many other lovely systems) release date! They've been saving it for something... My buds have been waiting to get into the series and I hope they finally can soon with the Switch...!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm still sad it's only the first trilogy but hey, they're legendary for a reason. Might as well play them all over again!!

It's funny because my most-wanted characters that are actually likely, like Phoenix, Elma, Travis (even if he was deconfirmed), etc are looking at least somewhat possible so I'm bouncing to each thread hoping they're all confirmed even though I know we might not even get Erdrick/Slime/Square Rep today. But then Joker was my impossible most wanted and I feel we are getting footage of him today so that's also funny.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or at all.

But yeah, there seems to be a lot riding on this direct. Not even necessarily a Smash reveal.
Yeah, I figure there's a chance we probably won't even get an SE character period and just get the Geno costume again.

In regards to Smash reveals, I bet it'll only happen at the very end of the Direct.

Also, I hope people don't react too badly like this if nothing happens:

Top Bottom