• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Apollo Justice was a good game back then and it's still a good game now. Literally the only problem it has is that case 3 is kind of annoying and the finale is rushed.

Every game in the series is a good game. Some are worse than others, some have different flaws, but they're all at least good. I might dunk on Spirit of Justice constantly but it also has one of my favorite cases in the series.

God I've been in this fandom since 2002 and we still have the same arguments. I'm so old and tired.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The plot could have gone somewhere if Takumi hadn't left Capcom.
Uhhh, Shu Takumi never left Capcom. What are you taking about?
Alas because of this separation AJ suffered in hindsight.
We can go on and on about what could've been, but that doesn't change the fact that the product itself that we got was a miserable slog that craps on Phoenix Wright as a character, has a case that's boring, one that's outright terrible, and a lackluster finale. And doesn't do a good job actually making a character out if the eponymous "protagonist" in question.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hobo Phoenix was the best thing that happened to Phoenix by giving him a major relatable flaw for him to fight upwards from while also showing the moral ambiguity of a flawed legal system that was later explored in depth in Investigations 2 and Dual Destinies. You're tripping.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Uhhh, Shu Takumi never left Capcom. What are you taking about?

We can go on and on about what could've been, but that doesn't change the fact that the product itself that we got was a miserable slog that craps on Phoenix Wright as a character, has a case that's boring, one that's outright terrible, and a lackluster finale. And doesn't do a good job actually making a character out if the eponymous "protagonist" in question.
Left Ace Attorney then hgkngg

Also yes Hobo Phoenix was actually a very good development for him and fits the story of the game very well.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I liked Hobo Nick and would have liked it if his cryptic attitude stuck around for another game or 2.

I really don't like what Yamazaki ended up doing with him. The modern version of Phoenix just like his AA1 self again.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I liked Hobo Nick and would have liked it if his cryptic attitude stuck around for another game or 2.

I really don't like what Yamazaki ended up doing with him. The modern version of Phoenix just like his AA1 self again.
That issue only happened in SoJ for some reason. I felt he had a fantastic balance in DD as the hardened but kindly father figure of the Wright Anything Agency. It's like they forgot how to write anyone but spooked rookies after a point.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
That issue only happened in SoJ for some reason. I felt he had a fantastic balance in DD as the hardened but kindly father figure of the Wright Anything Agency. It's like they forgot how to write anyone but spooked rookies after a point.
Nah there were certain points in Dual Destinies where Phoenix regressed to his first game self.

I do agree that Yamazaki has done poorly with Phoenix. Takumi built him up in the trilogy, gave him a good story in AJ to showcase not everything is all rosey in his world (albeit the Hawthorne arc showed this, it was more of a conflict). DD and SoJ he should essentially be Mia but with his own quirks and awkward personality. I feel we barely - if ever - got that in those two games.

Phoenix has matured and the newer games should show this....but they don't. It's like JFA, T&T, and AJ left no mark on Phoenix when previous games clearly show that wasn't the case.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Phoenix Wright is in my top 3 characters I want in Smash. I have always found it strange how being almost Nintendo exclusive for so many years (outside of mobile phone ports) it is no way acknowledged in Smash. Not even as spirits when Capcom has a huge presence in this game.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh I missed a lot, but uhh, I personally don't consider any Ace Attorney game or case a trainwreck. Even my least favorite case, 2-3, with the circus, still has Maya and Franziska, good times! I just don't really like the circus setting, the circus music, the clown's design, and the weird love triangle between adult men and a teenage girl... And the way you catch the murderer is cool, but it isn't that satisfying to haul them to jail...? Oh well!

Edit: And oh! Phoenix's maturity? I mean...the way he was in AJ was so different, but I guess 7 years of trying to take one person down will do that to ya? Then he got to be a mix of his new and old personas, but I never considered him immature! He emotes like he used to, which can be over-the-top, but his subordinates defer to him and he does have sort of a uhh... dad kind of aura? Haha, he's just so trustworthy and always does his best to do the right thing. After that phone call with Maya, he immediately sets off! When the others find something hopeless, he reminds them of what Mia taught him. They also celebrate his legendary status with that case where they were building a statue in his honor! He's often regarded as a legend, and while he can still flash his goofy smile, interactions with him, especially outside the courtroom, make him feel like a really warm dependable hero! If he wasn't mature, his relationship with Trucy would feel super weird haha

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Waiting for Turnabout Memories to appear on, erm, other sites for me to watch it. I saw the intro and the outro though.

The outro is amazing. Really captures the characters and the events about to transpire. Song is a nice little jingle.

The intro? Well...let's just say it looks like it was made by someone who was given a very brief description of the series and based their work on that. Also no Gumshoe is a crime.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Also Doesn't Athena have the worst case in the game though?
Turnabout Storyteller? This case can't be that bad, considering I've played it 4 times and it's one of my favourite filler cases in the series;)

In terms of story I find the first Investigations to be the worse. The Yatagarasu was interesting, but it took half the game to get going and I didn't feel the impact of its conclusion. The smuggling ring was weak and the finale drags on for no reason. Also case 3 is really bad which doesn't help matters. Case 4 is a gem though.
Yeah I agree. Case 4 was really, really good, all the other cases (especially 1 and 3) were nothing special. The whole story and the finale just wasn't as good as in other Ace Attorney games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Investigations 1 may be a little inconsequential but I absolutely adore Kay and Badd. Kay is one of my favorite assistants, really. And the final villain...sure, he isn't as tied and personal as the rest but his transformation and the music that hits is a series highlight to me. Also a certain twist in the final case involving a certain character totally blindsided me and I loved it.

It's still a good game even if it's weaker than AAI2. But then, pretty much the rest of the series is weaker than AAI2 for me, doesn't make them bad.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Funny how the general consensus seems to be that AAI2 is one of the greatest. I always felt that it was by far the weakest game before SoJ came out.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
AAI2 is in T&T tier of greatness. You trippin'.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Everyone's different and it's fine if you don't like it, but Investigations 2 feels really refined? Investigations 1 is still a great time, not a bad game at all, but it does feel more experimental, a little more awkward, but it did a nice job telling this "Yatagarasu" story! Investigations 2 is much more about Edgeworth! His feelings on prosecuting, trouble with...parents and guardians? (I don't want to say anything detailed, people who haven't played before pop in here!) And the music, sprites, I think it was a great finale for the DS, so polished!

I guess my major thing is... Investigations 1 told a story that didn't really feel that connected to Edgeworth maybe? While caring about Kay and Shi-Long-Lang and stuff, it doesn't actually feel like Edgeworth has to be involved? Makes me as a player feel a bit more like an outsider I suppose? But maybe why AAI2 is considered T&T level is because in both games - it's personal.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else watch the 1-hour special yet? Omfg that has to be my favourite episode yet, it was adapted so well.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Anyone else watch the 1-hour special yet? Omfg that has to be my favourite episode yet, it was adapted so well.
Yeah, to be fair it had double the time and it was a short case. But yes the way it was handled was great. Dahlia was masterfully done, and awww that hospital bed scene come on...

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hobo Phoenix was the best thing that happened to Phoenix by giving him a major relatable flaw for him to fight upwards from while also showing the moral ambiguity of a flawed legal system that was later explored in depth in Investigations 2 and Dual Destinies. You're tripping.
That's the thing. It's with Dual Destinies that Hobo Phoenix comes to fruition. Without that, he's needlessly cryptic until we get to the finale case. Also, AJ never really comes back to addressing the whole usage of fake evidence in the first case.

What salvaged him for me was that he turns to still be Phoenix-like in Turnabout Serenade, but they could've done better.

And the way they got Pheonix to lose hurra badge was needlessly contrived, given how cocky and sonetimes even out of character Phoenix acted during that trial.

I have no qualms with developing a character but making them miserable, or committing character upheaval doesn't exactly work.

Also, Phoenix already had flaws man. They didn't really add that much.
Left Ace Attorney then hgkngg
Here's the thing. As far as we know, Shu Takumi didn't even have anymore plans for that story, especially since he'd considered Phoenix's story over with. So, there's no gurantee it would've gone much other places.

And honestly that game really rubbed the fanbase wrong six ways to Sunday. Heck, Dual Destinies was a response to the outcry.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heya I did a thing for fun, enjoy.
2019011522184400-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDFf.png

I probably missed a few, but I tried to get as many notable and popular characters into this as I could, as well as a few I can imagine Sakurai including too.
Feel free to come up with spirit battles for these or which fighters they would take over if you like, enjoy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 187605

I probably missed a few, but I tried to get as many notable and popular characters into this as I could, as well as a few I can imagine Sakurai including too.
Feel free to come up with spirit battles for these or which fighters they would take over if you like, enjoy.
>the stepladder
Genius. I know which character that would possess. :ultluigi:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
View attachment 187605

I would take stepladder as my main Spirit, for sure.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I've never played an Ace Attorney game in my life. I've only seen screenshots and videos. So when I saw a bunch of people requesting Phoenix Wright, I was like "that makes no sense there's no way he could fight". But then I saw Marvel Vs. Capcom. I want Phoenix Wright now. He would be such a fun character to play as.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't like the opening for the final stretch of the Anime's second season.

Feels like it's building up to something but said part of the song never shows up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't like the opening for the final stretch of the Anime's second season.

Feels like it's building up to something but said part of the song never shows up.
The second half of the song is most likely on the soundtrack CD/file, since TV versions of openings rarely ever play the full versions of their songs.

Unless the full song doesn't actually climax even then, in this case.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Clearly the climax will be in his reveal trailer. Those hands are clearly Master Hand

:dazwa:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It must be shared. Gives a good visualization of how his model would look like (he'd most likely be slightly shorter though) and the entire concept this video brings is so fascinating:

Calling it Investigations is clever enough as it is, but having the sprite talk to you in that perspective? Brilliant.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
My brain's telling me Leon, my heart's longing for Arthur + Firebrand, but my gut suspects Mr. Wright here.

Capcom characters are best case scenario in my eyes what with how much content that generally comes with them (and a personal bias for their library). I'm down with just about any of them joining the fray. I might be somewhat unfamiliar with this one in particular but I forsee some hype Squad Strike setups involving him should he get in. I'm still a little confused as to how he might play. I did play quite a bit of UMvC3 but I'm not sure how much of that moveset should be drawn from for a Smash appearance. That said, get him in, integrated, and fun and you'll hear no objections from me, there's no way he wouldn't be a good addition. All that's not even mentioning the music.

Also do we have an exact date on when that AA Switch Trilogy is coming out yet? I wanna play it.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Also do we have an exact date on when that AA Switch Trilogy is coming out yet? I wanna play it.
Nope, not yet. Which leaves us the prospect of it getting announced in a direct...preferably alongside Ace Attorney 7 and/or Phoenix Wright joining Maya in Smash. kek.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
YUP! Hopes raised quite a bit with Joker's arrival, especially considering that Sakurai is a big fan of Ace Attorney as well, and has met with Shu Takumi. Nothing guaranteed, but his chances have never looked brighter than they do nowadays.

And our beloved Ace Attorney dodging the assist trophy, stage, music and spirit waves helped too.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So new theory spreading around about glitches to :ultswordfighter::ultduckhunt: in All-Star mode. Some people assume they do this because they are being used as a base for new DLC characters (because :ultpiranha: corrupts the save file when used there). Erdrick is the obviously the one associated with the former, but the latter? Seems to be split between Lycanroc and Amaterasu. I am going to assume that if this theory is correct, it is the white divine wolf.

Counter-arguments are that Bowser Jr, who is Plant's base, and Joker's base don't do this.

I'd be gutted as the dream would forever be dashed. Preparing my salt mountain just in case!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t really think it’ll be Amaterasu. Kamiya’s tweets appear to disconfirm her, and I don’t think it’d make too much sense to include her over the good ol PW.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pffft. Aside from the theory itself sounding ridiculous, even on the slim chance Ammy gets in, the dream wouldn't be dead like a long shot.
We'd be relying on a wave 2 to happen and even then I would think Dante or Leon/Jill/Chris would be the frontrunners.

Top Bottom