• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I ****ing love Ace Attorney. It's one of my favorite game series. And Phoenix Wright is one of my favorite game characters. He's such a dork, but he's cool at the same time. That said, I don't see how he could be interesting in smash. I don't like when fighting games take characters that don't fight and just have them punch and kick. And I don't like moveset that just consist of hitting opponents with references to their game. I'm aware of Wright in Marvel vs Capcom, and I'm not excited about that style. I'm hoping someone here can convince me how he would be good in smash so I can fully support.
well id say that smacking people with giant speech bubbles would be hilarious

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Joker using a gun puts down the ole statement of realistic guns being a no-no. This is good news for Resident Evil.

We're pretty ****ed now but I expected it anyway.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Joker using a gun puts down the ole statement of realistic guns being a no-no. This is good news for Resident Evil.

I can't be too upset. Resident Evil is very deserving. I may want Phoenix more, but it's a bit like losing to the best, if that's how it goes down.

Still, you never know! The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

No we're not. Besides, by that account, we'd have gotten an RE character in already.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Resident Evil is next in line for Capcom. The strongest "argument" against it has been shattered tonight.

Even if no RE protag comes this pass/game, it will the next game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I dunno, two characters wielding guns might be a no-no for variety's sake.

Then again, so might be two anime humans, so we'd be getting... Viewtiful Joe?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
As much as I wanna see Resident Evil, it's not over yet. If "lines" in Smash really worked based on sales, we'd have Arle Nadja and a Total War character instead of Bayonetta and Joker.

Don't lose hope in your attorney just because of a silly gun.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The actual lack of any Ace Attorney content in this game now actually makes me more confident. Since now, it's all out there and ready to be made into paying DLC, unlike some of the competition.

Last edited:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
The fact that we got Mega Man before the likes of Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter firmly puts to bed any notion of there being any sort of hierarchy based on commercial success for this kind of thing. Whether Phoenix Wright is as iconic as Mega Man is obviously... debatable, to put it lightly, but the fact that the likes of the Objection! bubble is arguably one of the most ubiquitous pieces of video game paraphernalia ever in spite of the series' lack of commercial success relative to its contemporaries says a lot. We can point to sales data being in favour of a series or character's chances 'til the cows come home, but Phoenix is indisputably recognisable, and that counts for a hell of a lot in a mascot fighter.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Joker's victory screen when he wins with a final smash would work great for Phoenix. Make it that the victory screen is the judge slamming his gavel down with the confetti and crowd cheers.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I wouldn't worry too much. RE was always a contender, so the gun part doesn't change much. Just because real guns can be used doesn't guarantee a character if Sakurai can't come up with something interesting for the character to do outside of it. As far as Capcom characters go, Wright still looks like a front-runner alongside Leon or Ammy, it's anyone's guess who they would pick. While not too likely, there's always the possibility we can get two Capcom characters for DLC; we did get two separate Capcom series included in the last game.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sorry I haven't been showing my support for Phoenix around here much. Here take this as my apology.
Hes in.png

An Archie

Smash Cadet
Since with the release of Joker and the persona 5 spirit battles, it seems like all fighters in the challenger pack will bring spirits along with them.
What spirits would you want if Phoenix got in? The attention to detail in this first spirit pack is really impressive and I'd love to see what Sakurai and his team would do for the main characters in ace attorney.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Since with the release of Joker and the persona 5 spirit battles, it seems like all fighters in the challenger pack will bring spirits along with them.
What spirits would you want if Phoenix got in? The attention to detail in this first spirit pack is really impressive and I'd love to see what Sakurai and his team would do for the main characters in ace attorney.
oh i imagine all the best characters would get them, maya, mia, pearl, apollo, athena, trucy and probably every major prosecutor

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I can't be too upset. Resident Evil is very deserving. I may want Phoenix more, but it's a bit like losing to the best, if that's how it goes down.

Still, you never know! The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over.
Just remember this: :ultmegaman: came before :ultryu:, in a time when Capcom showed favoritism to SF. Things might turn out okay.

Phoenix, ghetto!Phoenix, Apollo, Trucy, Mia, young!Maya, adult!Maya, Edgeworth, Franziska, Godot, Gumshoe and Athena. Not sure if I'd want Pearl too, but what the hey.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The spirit bowrd would 100% have Maya, Mia, Apollo, Edgeworth, Godot, Franziska, Judge, Gumshoe, Athena, and Trucy.

Then you have interesting maybes like Klavier, Blackquill, Ema, Nahyuta, Pearl, and even Payne as a gag spirit but I would not bank on them.

Doubt the rest will be in unless they are inspired.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I personally think that if Phoenix got in his spirit board would be almost entirely trilogy characters, maybe reserving 2 spots for Apollo and Athena but otherwise the rest would be the old characters that everyone cares about.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Actually I think Sakurai would focus primarily on the Shu Takumi games due to their friendship, which makes Apollo Justice likely to get spirits from its main cast.

Athena and maybe Blackquill aside I'd be stunned if anyone from DD and beyond got one. Some would have good ideas, but the trilogy cast covers a lot of scenarios as it is.

Thinking about it, add Manfred von Karma to the maybe pile. He's a memorable character from the first game and is rife with spirit possibilities. However it is possible he gets represented in the Edgeworth spirit battle too.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Actually I think Sakurai would focus primarily on the Shu Takumi games due to their friendship, which makes Apollo Justice likely to get spirits from its main cast.

Athena and maybe Blackquill aside I'd be stunned if anyone from DD and beyond got one. Some would have good ideas, but the trilogy cast covers a lot of scenarios as it is.

Thinking about it, add Manfred von Karma to the maybe pile. He's a memorable character from the first game and is rife with spirit possibilities. However it is possible he gets represented in the Edgeworth spirit battle too.
Yeah, I find this the most likely outcome.

Mayyybe Kay along with Athena and Blackquill but that's it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Forgot about Larry. You could have a mii fighter themed battle with Larry's many professions referenced (normal, artist, security guard)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I can't believe I haven't posted in here yet. Phoenix is my absolute most wanted character, and I haven't even visited his support thread?

I'm a fake fan.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I personally think that if Phoenix got in his spirit board would be almost entirely trilogy characters, maybe reserving 2 spots for Apollo and Athena but otherwise the rest would be the old characters that everyone cares about.
But most fans care about newer characters too

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I can't believe I haven't posted in here yet. Phoenix is my absolute most wanted character, and I haven't even visited his support thread?

I'm a fake fan.
Hey, at least you don't have him as your avatar, and have only set foot in his support thread like once or twice!
1529073373_tenor.gif

I tried coming up with some spirit battles for the Ace Attorney cast should he get in, but due to my limited imagination, I mostly thought of ones for side characters that likely wouldn't get a spirit.

Kay Faraday's sure was easy. :ultjoker:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I won't be TOO upset if we only get original trilogy Phoenix even if I want second Trilogy stuff, but I will be a little down if we only get Trilogy spirits. I would hope for at least Athena and Apollo.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I won't be TOO upset if we only get original trilogy Phoenix even if I want second Trilogy stuff, but I will be a little down if we only get Trilogy spirits. I would hope for at least Athena and Apollo.
At the very least, I'm sure they would include some music.

Also, I'm sure they'd include SOMETHING related to Apollo, like a Mii Hat that looks like his hair, or something. I don't know how he ranks now, but wasn't there a time (I think right after Dual Destinies came out) that he was voted the most popular Ace Attorney character in Japan?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Dahlia would have a very fun spirit battle. So many possibilities.

Black Hair Corrin with Killing Edge on Omega Garden of Hope
Pink Hair Robin on Courtroom, poisonous smog covers the stage
Pink Hair Robin, Blue Ryu, and default Bayonetta (who favours neutral B) on Hazardless Gerudo Valley.

However all of Joker's spirit battles take place on Mementos. If that's a common thing then that's potentially good for Phoenix who could take place entirely in the courtroom.

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Dahlia would have a very fun spirit battle. So many possibilities.

Black Hair Corrin with Killing Edge on Omega Garden of Hope
Pink Hair Robin on Courtroom, poisonous smog covers the stage
Pink Hair Robin, Blue Ryu, and default Bayonetta (who favours neutral B) on Hazardless Gerudo Valley.

However all of Joker's spirit battles take place on Mementos. If that's a common thing then that's potentially good for Phoenix who could take place entirely in the courtroom.
I personally thought of Daisy or Peach for Dahlia, but those work too.

If they want a Simon Blackquill spirit, they certainly have options! :ultchrom::ultmarth::ultike::ultswordfighter:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Simon Blackquill would be Joker. The knife, the black hair, the black cloak/coat just fits.

My idea for an Athena spirit battle does involve yellow Zero Suit Samus, two small ROBs (one red, one blue), and Joker that spawns once someone is KOd. Zamus tries to flee while the ROBs and Joker are aggressive on you. You have to KO Zamus to win.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Actually, the only spirit battles that take place on the Mementos stage are Morgana's and the one where you 'fight' all the Phantom Thieves at once. Maybe you are thinking of classic mode? Every other spirit battle takes place on a stage to reference one of the Palaces/Dungeons from Persona 5 (example Ann's takes place in the castle portion of Castle Siege and Ryugi's takes place on Luigi's Mansion to reference the castle from the first Palace in Persona 5).

But yeah, I would expect the majority of spirits from Ace Attorney to reference and be of characters from the original trilogy since those games are the ones most fans would recognize easily (and Capcom themselves seem to love the original trilogy since they port them to everything). The only ones I expect to see from later games are Apollo and Athena, maybe Trucy as well.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I don't know if any of you care about the Stage Builder, but I found a fun stage based on the series. Most of the custom stages based on AA are just Phoenix and/or Edgeworth behind a desk moving their extended arms and pointer fingers around, but this one adds the Judge and his gavel, along with Gumshoe at the witness stand. It's a really fun stage; Phoenix and Edgeworth are on the wrong sides of the courtroom, but that's ok.

ID is 6VRSCLGF and the creator's name is Drako.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah a lot of the Ace Attorney stages are the courtroom. Fair enough, but I hope to see things like Gourd Lake or the Space Center as well.

I shared a few Miis. Only my Edgeworth got any likes. No love for my Franziska or Kay or Godot haha.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah a lot of the Ace Attorney stages are the courtroom. Fair enough, but I hope to see things like Gourd Lake or the Space Center as well.

I shared a few Miis. Only my Edgeworth got any likes. No love for my Franziska or Kay or Godot haha.
Can I have those codes? I'd love them, especially Kay. Also, how do you upload Miis?

Top Bottom